• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku proves their integraity once again

Cheerilee

dead souls said:
Joke post?

CAG is the only gaming site I visit regularly outside of GAF. They've saved me hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars since I discovered the site.
Cheapy D thinks you're pathetic. You don't make your own deals. You just do what CAG says, like a mindless robot. Someone should make up a fake deal and get you to drive out to the Bronx so you get carjacked, just to show everyone how lame and gullible you are. And then when you came back here and bitch about being carjacked, we'll all laugh at you for blaming us when you only have yourself to blame.

h3ro

Kotakowned.:lol

Good job Cheapy, you better hook the guy who took the picture and made the post with an awesome game! Hell, upgrade him to the LE if its available...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Suck it Kotaku. Blaming CAG for this is just silly. Next time stop posting whatever you find in forums, that is not journalism.

Replicant

Looking for integrity in Kotaku is like looking for a bride in a brothel. It's always amusing to see an article appear here first and then a few hours (lately it's been a few days, maybe as damage control measure) it appears on Kotaku.

While this is funny nothing will ever top the Metal Gear Triology rumor in my mind. The fact that it came from here and was published on IGN word for word was and still is the funniest thing I've ever witnessed on a forum.

h3ro said:
Oooh, look what I just found, courtesy of CAG...

Pot, meet Kettle.

Kotaku's Imaginary Virtual Console Update

G4, Gamespy, Gamestats Report our Imaginary Update

Posted in the second post by Mike Fahey:

Good job Kotaku! Your coming out of this smelling like roses!

I still think there's a difference between
"Hey everyone lets make a rumor and try to fool someone into believing its real"
and
"This is what I wish was real"

Reading kotaku's blog about the VC games, he states that its not real. Whereas the CAG member's intentions were to make something that was not real and pass it off as insider information.

Marlowe

Kotaku is a fucking joke for their reaction.

Yes, be pissed at CAG, you morons. Can Kotaku even remotely cite to ANY of the canons or ethics of journalism -- seriously, off the top of their heads, right now, just ONE.

usea

If CAG's normal policy is to lock threads that assert information that's known to be false or has no reliability behind it, but then they waved this policy for this joke rumor, it's not really a knock on kotaku.

Threads are locked here when the OP provides no evidence or there is no reason to believe them. If this didn't happen, gaf would be less reliable. Obviously it looks bad for kotaku to react the way they did, regardless of whether they're right or not.

If I'm lied to, and then I go tell somebody else the lie without looking into it, I should have checked into the information before passing it on. Especially if that's my core responsibility. However, "well you should have known I was a liar" isn't a good defense for the liar either.

disclosure: I don't read cag or kotaku.

usea said:
If CAG's normal policy is to lock threads that assert information that's known to be false or has no reliability behind it, but then they waved this policy for this joke rumor, it's not really a knock on kotaku.

Threads are locked here when the OP provides no evidence or there is no reason to believe them. If this didn't happen, gaf would be less reliable. Obviously it looks bad for kotaku to react the way they did, regardless of whether they're right or not.

If I'm lied to, and then I go tell somebody else the lie without looking into it, I should have checked into the information before passing it on. Especially if that's my core responsibility. However, "well you should have known I was a liar" isn't a good defense for the liar either.

Yes your right, HOWEVER, this was not a forum post. It was something someone posted on THEIR blog. Which CAG, cannot or does not moderate.

Firestorm

usea said:

It was on a user blog, not in the forums.

Ten-Song

Kotaku could have avoided looking so stupid (again) if they had just bothered to actually... you know, research the rumor instead of going "OMG I POST NOW, I R JOURNALIST!"

I think it's kind of weird that CAG did this, but it kind of worked for them, so I suppose Kotaku can just be all pissy while CAG users laugh their asses off.

This is why I will NEVER refer to bloggers as journalists.

Grecco

Ten-Song said:
This is why I will NEVER refer to bloggers as journalists.

Its not like Bloggers are the only ones who scour forums for news. The infamous Triology is proof that even the biggest houses of enthuthiast press still scour forums for bytes.

MorisUkunRasik said:
I still think there's a difference between
"Hey everyone lets make a rumor and try to fool someone into believing its real"
and
"This is what I wish was real"

Reading kotaku's blog about the VC games, he states that its not real. Whereas the CAG member's intentions were to make something that was not real and pass it off as insider information.
can someone give me some counter points to this, because I don't see why everyone is picking on Kotaku. Maybe there's a side I just don't see.

Ten-Song

MorisUkunRasik said:
can someone give me some counter points to this, because I don't see why everyone is picking on Kotaku. Maybe there's a side I just don't see.

For me the issue isn't even really that Kotaku got egg on its face, but that Brian threw a hissy fit instead of just saying "oops, our bad, har har."

Just the way he worded everything in his update sounds like he's throwing a temper tantrum.

UPDATE: It appears that this rumor story could be CAG throwing their credibility out the window as part of a contest. Kotaku''s decision to run rumors is always based on the credibility of the site and the information contained within it. In the past CAG has proven to be a reliable site, having broken a number of stories through apt reporting. It appears that may no longer be the case.

Oh boo hoo, you posted something stupid that would have only been a rumor in the first place, ran with it like it was really happening, and you looked silly when it was clear you just weren't looking into things deep enough and didn't "check your source" (lurk more).

Liberty4all

Banned
Just a personal opinion, but I've always assumed that corporate gaming blog sites are a hotbed of rumours ... they don't claim to be journalists right (or do they)?

Sure sometimes they have really good finds ... it's one of the advantages of being a blog, in that you post first and ask questions later.

I guess what I'm saying, I don't have any problem with Kotaku doing what they do ... they found something that looked hot and went with it ... that's what gaming blogs do isn't it?

The anger in Kotaku's response to the whole thing I think is more in part along the lines of "yeah we aren't always right, but why are you being assholes purposely trying to mess with us? We're a blog site not the fucking Washington Post".

*shrug*

I get my news mostly from forums and secondly from corporate gaming blogs. While corporate gaming blogs aren't always dead on target, they provide a nice gossipy fix regarding gaming news.

AmMortal

Banned
Darklord said:
They are almost as bad as N4G now. Hell, we should do something like this. Get a random GAFer to post some made up story, get a few fake posts going along with it and it'll be the top N4G story within 24 hours.

This has happened frequently, not with in 24 hours, but within 30 seconds.

Many GAF'ers are N4G'ers.

HugBasket said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKoTfY84sU

I AM SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

GO SONIC GO RUN LIKE THE WIND

YES YES YOU BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL

YOU BLESSED BEAST

ALPHA AND OMEGA

LAY CONTEST TO YOUR ENEMIES

USE ME SONIC

USE ME USE ME USE ME USE ME

AHA HA HA
AHA HA HA
AHA HA HA
AHA AH
AHA HA HA
AHA HA HA

:lol

p01ar

GameTrailers
As long as they posted it I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Don't people post rumors here all the time? It's not like they said that it was a real story.

I just don't get the reactions.

Omikaru

p01ar said:
As long as they posted it I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Don't people post rumors here all the time? It's not like they said that it was a real story.

I just don't get the reactions.
My gripe (and I assume many others) is Crecente's reaction to the whole incident. If he'd laughed it off like IGN did with the Metal Gear Solid Trilogy thing instead of crying like a baby and questioning CAG's credibility when Kotaku is hardly a bastion of reliable, non sensationalist journalism then I doubt there would be a huge issue here.

Crecente does deny he's angry that he was mislead and claims he's angry about (to paraphrase) "wasting your time", which is a load of bollocks as if that was the case he wouldn't keep the article up and let it fill with over 15,000 page views (more advertising and Crecente bucks) as of the last time I checked. It's blatantly obvious he got egg on his face, looked like a complete tool and in order to keep up the façade that he's a journalist with integrity wound up having a miniature hissy fit over something he should've laughed at instead.

As I said in my last post, this isn't the first time he's done it and it won't be the last.

AkuMifune

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Suck it Kotaku. Blaming CAG for this is just silly. Next time stop posting whatever you find in forums, that is not journalism.

This. It would have taken two seconds to check the thread and realize it was fake. Plus I think any respectable blogger should be listening to all the major gaming podcasts, which obviously they don't.

Hammer24

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Funny that people act like Kotaku had integrity in the first place. They pretty much define snide blog journalism in my eyes.

Exactly. I never expected the words "kotaku" and "integrity" in the same sentence, let alone a GAF thread title.

Hero

Some moron actually fell for it? I just.... I just don't even see how anyone with a lick of sensibility could've thought that was real when:

1) It came from a CAG blog
2) CAG blogger was brand new
3) The printout was done in MS Word or some other program in a minute
4) What legal document is actually signed like that?
5) Xbox Pure? The only way they could've made it anymore obvious if it was named Xbox 180

Ugh.

I have never figured out why j0ystiq was banned, yet kotaku was not. The two are about the same in terms of content, with kotaku being slightly more funny, and it seems as though the two are about the same in terms of journalistic due diligence.

I tend to find besides these forums blogs that cater to one system are often much better then sites that do all of them at once.

I go to ps3 blogs for my ps3 news, ********** for wii and ds news, and this site . IF find kotaku , ign and other all system sites too biast .

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Kotaku, do 5 seconds of fact checking next time, and save us all your five minutes of fake news and five more seconds of whining.

tak

Hero said:
Some moron actually fell for it? I just.... I just don't even see how anyone with a lick of sensibility could've thought that was real when:

1) It came from a CAG blog
2) CAG blogger was brand new
3) The printout was done in MS Word or some other program in a minute
4) What legal document is actually signed like that?
5) Xbox Pure? The only way they could've made it anymore obvious if it was named Xbox 180

Ugh.
I don't know how anyone thought the document was real. The document clearly looked like it was made in word in 5 minutes, and I've never seen any document that requires a signature look that unprofessional.

Omikaru said:
My gripe (and I assume many others) is Crecente's reaction to the whole incident. If he'd laughed it off like IGN did with the Metal Gear Solid Trilogy thing instead of crying like a baby and questioning CAG's credibility when Kotaku is hardly a bastion of reliable, non sensationalist journalism then I doubt there would be a huge issue here.

Crecente does deny he's angry that he was mislead and claims he's angry about (to paraphrase) "wasting your time", which is a load of bollocks as if that was the case he wouldn't keep the article up and let it fill with over 15,000 page views (more advertising and Crecente bucks) as of the last time I checked. It's blatantly obvious he got egg on his face, looked like a complete tool and in order to keep up the façade that he's a journalist with integrity wound up having a miniature hissy fit over something he should've laughed at instead.

As I said in my last post, this isn't the first time he's done it and it won't be the last.

My favorite Crecente Reaction is below,

Crecente said:
So a first time poster has no credibility?
I think he might be a little to trusting. :lol

Omikaru said:
It's blatantly obvious he got egg on his face, looked like a complete tool and in order to keep up the façade that he's a journalist with integrity wound up having a miniature hissy fit over something he should've laughed at instead.

Absolutely. You can't have it both ways, right? The attitudes journalism promotes (and the respect associated with them) don't go hand-in-hand with being a lazy, rumormongering regurgitation of actual news, commentary, and criticism.

I think all we're asking for is for Crecente & Co. to be themselves, accept their identity, and not try to convince people that they're journalists just because they interact with video game fucking PR.

I think the problem is ... *gulp* ... us.

We shouldn't look to blogs or forums for solid, credible news. I like Kotaku. I like CAG. I like GAF. But I know what they are and always consider the source(s) before I react.

The problem is that legitimate NEWS sites like 1up, IGN and Gamespot are becoming more blog-like in their fact checking and what not. But that is what internet journalism is now and I really don't see it changing.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This reminds me...

I saw a post on some no-name blog today where someone claimed that Microsoft was cutting prices on XBL subscriptions to go along with its recent price drop (it was really a weekly Amazon deal. They probably pulled it from CAG heh).

Someone posted a link to the blog on the Gametrailers forums and for some reason everyone believed it to be true...sigh

Baby Milo

B E N K E said:
It's all about speed... unfortunately. I don't have a problem with Kotaku at all, it's a good source for a lot of sillyness, and rumours, plus all the usual stuff. It's a bit silly to react like Brian did, though... just own up to it and it won't be a big deal.
i agree i dont find it to be big deal at all and ill still check kotaku. just a little update saying you fell for the prank give them props and move on. no one would care.

Firestorm

Jonnyram said:
They were the victims of a prank.
How does that affect their integrity?
Their reaction to said prank and their willingness to believe such prank. I mean seriously, any idiot could see it was fake. New user's personal blog on a web forum using horrible product code names... hmmm!

And somebody change the title! The misspelling of integrity is bothering me :(

Top Bottom