• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand6

So, Kagari Vs Kotaku, right?
It's not even a fight, Kagari win easily.
The sad part is I don't care anymore about Versus 13...

royalan

It takes a lot for me to say this about a game, it really does but...

... if this is true, let it die. Square lost all ability to manage AAA projects in the Japanese mommaship this generation. So much time, talent, and money wasted for six years. Just... wipe the board clean, reorganize into smaller teams, and find a new way forward.

Agreed.

People think that the project has just gotten too big to cancel, but that's not exactly true. They can break up the teams, re-purpose the assets/engine, no way Square-Enix would let it all go completely to waste, even if we don't get the game.

There's just no denying that Versus XIII has been a huge time/resources/talent sink up to this point for a company that really can't afford that. It's not like anything else Square is doing in the console-space is smashing right now to cover for Versus. Better to cut it loose and reallocate those resources to improving games that actually AREN'T vaporware. Besides, being real here, did we REALLY know enough about this game to be THAT disappointed? We've basically been going off of a 6-year-old CG trailer and a dream this entire time.

Last Guardian-ed.

Reveirg

One would think that if that was true, they wouldn't have released the DLC Versus XIII song for Theatrhythm stateside a few weeks ago...

...no?

- Cancel game
- Keep working on it in secret so people will stop asking about it
- Release game years later suddenly on unsuspecting world
- Outsold by the superior game FFXVI-2

it doesn't matter if it comes out or not. holding onto hope at this point defies logic

If you're not particularly invested in it, it's not hard to patiently wait for something that clearly didn't enter development until much later after it was announced.

Celine

Myreactiontojerseyshorecancellation.gif
/that's me.

People may give Nomura shit for his character designs, but the games he serves as director on are, in my opinion, almost always very enjoyable and fun. I'd be sad to see Versus XIII get dismantled, though I can understand that it might be too much of a money sink at this point.

AutumnAve

I really want to play FF type-0 in English, the game's done, get on it S-E. I mean for console FF i still have 13 to finish (I'm somewhere in Grand Pulse) and a shrink wrapped 13-2...

Meier

I just don't get it.. I can't even fathom the countless millions they've put into it. I guess it's better to let it die if it's absolute shit than to release it and face unending backlash like FF14.

Niks

The one FF title that seemed interesting... of course they had to cancel it.

I bet the reason for canceling it was... HD TOWNS.

I really hate to say this but at this point I've lost interest in this game. Back when they finally released the gameplay trailer I wasn't even slightly impressed with what I saw. If it does end up being cancelled I hope that something comes out of their work in the long run.

I'm going with the "plan to make them talk" theory since I've read the article.

At worse it's just a rebranding / reworking of their original design.
They've gone too far to just drop everything and throw it away and the 2011 trailer shows that.

If we don't hear anything about this by TGS or even end March next year, that's when I'll start to worry.

List so far has 107 entries. 23 are re-releases or remakes. Even then it's 84 games since Versus was announced. I also haven't updated it recently so some of the already announced, already released stuff might be missing.

I believe I've already said this before but it doesn't make any sense to put up a chart like this listing the games released from the date of Versus's announcement, except for the laughs, which is still good. Did you expect them to release the game the day after?

The game was announced as a very early development stage, much more than XIII which came out 3 years later on Dec 2009. The eraliest date at which Versus could have been released would not have been before late 2010, which means that the game is only roughly 2 years late.

This is wild speculation on my part, but all this is not very different than what can happen with the Agni's philosophy's trailer. That game is most certainly going to end up being Final Fantasy XV, except this time SquareEnix has been smarter and didn't say anything about it leaving it as a concept tech trailer to avoid building up hype. Be prepared to see fans raging over when by 2014-2015 the game will be revealed to be XV after all and it still hasn't been released despite being announced in 2012 right from the day after the announcement...

Quite frankly, I've lost any interest I used to have in this game. I can only be strung along for so long before I really don't give a shit anymore.

Having said that, it's amazing what fresh information or screenshots or *gasp* a trailer would do for my enthusiasm for the game. It really is embarrassing how poorly handled this game has been.

Were I forced to guess, I would say that it's been renamed XV. The Versus name was always fucking stupid anyways, and the game always looked fresh enough that if it were a mainline title, it would be a breath of fresh air. But I don't think it's inconceivable that the game was outright cancelled. The game has been in development for what, 6 years? Making no money the entire time and with no guarantee of tremendous sales, after the tarnishing of the brand by 13/13-2. The bleeding has to stop sometime, and perhaps with all the money they're sinking into XIV, they had to cut their losses.

But really, who knows. Either way, I wish SE would come out and say yay or nay.

Reallink

This game would have to account for at least 50-100 million dollar loss at this point and hundreds of millions of potential profit and mindshare. Obviously this would significantly affect stock prices. I'm not familiar with Japan's security laws, but they would undoubtedly be sued by investors for withholding this kind of information and "quietly letting it fade away".

Aeana

I'm going with the "plan to make them talk" theory since I've read the article.

At worse it's just a rebranding / reworking of their original design.
They've gone too far to just drop everything and throw it away and the 2011 trailer shows that.

If we don't hear anything about this by TGS or even end March next year, that's when I'll start to worry.

I believe I've already said this before but it doesn't make any sense to put up a chart like this listing the games released from the date of Versus's announcement, except for the laughs, which is still good. Did you expect them to release the game the day after?

The game was announced as a very early development stage, much more than XIII which came out 3 years later on Dec 2009. The eraliest date at which Versus could have been released would not have been before late 2010, which means that the game is only roughly 2 years late.

This is wild speculation on my part, but all this is not very different than what can happen with the Agni's philosophy's trailer. That game is most certainly going to end up being Final Fantasy XV, except this time SquareEnix has been smarter and didn't say anything about it leaving it as a concept tech trailer to avoid building up hype. Be prepared to see fans raging over when by 2014-2015 the game will be revealed to be XV after all and it still hasn't been released despite being announced in 2012 right from the day after the announcement...
Of course it's for laughs. That's the point.

LTWheels

Just because the game was announced 6 years ago does not mean that it has been in development for 6 years. It is extremely possible that very little work has actually been done on Versus outside of the planning stage. What was shown behind closed doors could have been all of what was made of the game. Reminds me of the Prey 2 situation.

Zaventem

I really hate to say this but at this point I've lost interest in this game. Back when they finally released the gameplay trailer I wasn't even slightly impressed with what I saw. If it does end up being cancelled I hope that something comes out of their work in the long run.

Would it make you get a PS4 if it was a next gen 1st year title?

By losing out on the last big third party exclusive.

Also, lol at people thinking this will force SE to start talking about the game. Here, I'll save you the trouble: "We don't comment on rumors or speculation" or "Versus XIII is in development, but we have no more details to announce at this time". One of those depending on what the truth is. Either way, we get nothing.

Caelestis

From one side may be it'd be great if this was cancelled. Just release all the fans from their misery of endless waiting. From another, I personally would probably never buy another game from them ever again.

Would it make you get a PS4 if it was a next gen 1st year title?
In its current state? Probably not. The graphics aren't the problem I have. I personally thought the combat looked sluggish and boring. If they did some things to make the combat more visually appealing I'd buy it for PS3. Thats just my opinion though.

It's really sad how Square has become
-Milking franchises
-Create stupid stories and timeliness to a game already has complete ending by its own
-ignore what fans want

I really miss PS1, SNES days. Man, those days were so good. We always got some surprises in a form of brand new ip or a solid sequel that didn't have any side-story bullshit.

StuBurns

Banned
Has Square Enix ever canceled such a high profile game before?
No, but this is probably the longest any SE game has ever been announced without being released, there basically hasn't been an SE game this high profile.
In its current state? Probably not. The graphics aren't the problem I have. I personally thought the combat looked sluggish and boring. If they did some things to make the combat more visually appealing I'd buy it for PS3. Thats just my opinion though.
Crazy talk, sluggish? It looks too dense to be meaningful if anything.

Aeana

Wasn't really involved much at that time. I did however hear of FFXIV's reveal ahead of time, as did many others including APZonerunner.
Really?

Everybody was doubting what I was saying at the time, and even I turned out to be wrong about it not being shown on 360 at the time, since even up until a month before the E3 presentation, I had seen it running on 360.

jorgeton

Really?

Everybody was doubting what I was saying at the time, and even I turned out to be wrong about it not being shown on 360 at the time, since even up until a month before the E3 presentation, I had seen it running on 360.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Goes to show we sometimes really don't know what's going on behind the scenes, even though we think we do.

StuBurns

Banned
December '02 to March '06. Versus has it comfortably beat at this point.

As long as it's been, I'm still not at all concerned, Rapture was announced a year before, and came out the year before last, Type-0 finally came out too. They're super slow, but they don't have a history of publicly killing their projects.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Really?

More specifically that Rapture would be at E3 2009 and SE/SCE were in collaboration on it of sorts.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any news if there will be FFXV info any time soon, Kagari~?

I would think they've invested way too much into it to let it all go. Not to mention completely kill off whatever lingering, little goodwill they still have left with the remaining fans.

They stuck with FFXIV, and gave FFXIII at least one sequel. I don't give a shit about development time. If those two abominations got the green light from SE, then Versus better see the light of day and it better deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom