• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcm

Well, that's going to effect my slowest preordered game race.

psqjC.jpg

Seik

Banned
More specifically that Rapture would be at E3 2009 and SE/SCE were in collaboration on it of sorts.

Pardon my curiosity, but what do you do in life Kagari? You seem to have connections and be aware of what's happening at SE most of the time. I know there's many people in the gaming industry on GAF and I was wondering if you are too. :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I said announced. Versus development didn't start June '06 either.

If you want to be more specific here's a quote from the wikia

The executive producer of the game, Akitoshi Kawazu, has said in an interview[3] that back in 2000, when Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XII were originally announced as being in the planning stages, Final Fantasy X was announced as an offline game while the games Final Fantasy XI onwards would be online games. In the process of developing Final Fantasy XII that changed, but, just from the very early planning stages the team intended Final Fantasy XII to be a different experience from Final Fantasy X.

So if you want to be super technical, it was 2000.

StuBurns

Banned
If you want to be more specific here's a quote from the wikia

So if you want to be super technical, it was 2000.

I don't know if my post wasn't clear, I'll try and make it simpler.

We were talking about when the games were ANNOUNCED, not when they started development.

If the project really is dead, i highly doubt that battle/game systems they built and characters will all be completely scrapped. Some game will rise out of this.

Didn't she get FFX HD right?

I'd think this rumour was bullshit regardless though.

If vaguely hyping up an unspecified FF title for Vita as one that would go a long way towards erasing doubts about Japanese third parties' commitment to the platform, then unironically pronouncing the subsequent announcement of a non-exclusive, non-original title a "megaton" counts as "getting FFX HD right," then sure.

I suppose that's subjective. :p And Kagari has gotten other stuff right, to be fair.

kayos90

I don't know if my post wasn't clear, I'll try and make it simpler.

We were talking about when the games were ANNOUNCED, not when they started development.

Okay, let met make this clear again.

The executive producer of the game, Akitoshi Kawazu, has said in an interview[3] that back in 2000, when Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XII were originally announced as being in the planning stages, Final Fantasy X was announced as an offline game while the games Final Fantasy XI onwards would be online games. In the process of developing Final Fantasy XII that changed, but, just from the very early planning stages the team intended Final Fantasy XII to be a different experience from Final Fantasy X.

Notice the word ANNOUNCED. k.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FFX was not announced as an offline game, it was announced as having online components using PlayOnline at the same time they were talking about FFIX.

kayos90

FFX was not announced as an offline game, it was announced as having online components using PlayOnline at the same time they were talking about FFIX.

I'm just quoting what I read. Not that I really believe much in them since there was no actual evidence behind this database post.

StuBurns

Banned
Okay, let met make this clear again.

Notice the word ANNOUNCED. k.
So, you're saying it was announced a year before development started? I find that hard to believe. I may be misremembering it, but I believe the announcement came with a piece of art of the major town xmas '02.

However, even if it was announced 01/01/00, it still beat Versus out. Six years and six months, it's already been six years and a month, and Versus isn't coming out in the next five months.

clashfan

If the project really is dead, i highly doubt that battle/game systems they built and characters will all be completely scrapped. Some game will rise out of this.

We may not see a game called ff vs 13 but I think assets and design ideas will appear in another game.

kayos90

FFX's original announcement trailer (black haired Tidus, PlayOnline)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72vckLXI7x4

Lol, I never actually saw this. You learn something new everyday.

So, you're saying it was announced a year before development started? I find that hard to believe. I may be misremembering it, but I believe the announcement came with a piece of art of the major town xmas '02.

However, even if it was announced 01/01/00, it still beat Versus out. Six years and six months, it's already been six years and a month, and Versus isn't coming out in the next five months.

Yeah. There's no way that game is going to come out soon. Eventually XII will be topped which is the point you were making and I agree. Lol.

alternade

What if they started developing this on PS3 hardware, got PS4 devkits and realized that this would be much better suited for next gen systems? It would sell tons as a launch title........

Also, I find it very unlikely for this game to be released as a launch title unless the Ps4 miraculously has a first price tag of $249 or something similar. Any higher and the potential user base would be too little. Same reason of why the game has still a lot of time to be released for current seventh gen consoles.

Of course it's for laughs. That's the point.

I know but a lot of people still don't get this :p

Don't ask me how, but I remember clearly reading about this and having an epic meltdown about it...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
You may want to look a little deeper. (Creepy, much?)

come on, there's really nothing creepy about it. you should know better than to put those details up there like that if you don't want all kinds of people snooping around.

Shamdeo

come on, there's really nothing creepy about it. you should know better than to put those details up there like that if you don't want all kinds of people snooping around.

I never posted any details other than someone taking it upon themself to cross-reference my screen-name.

Why is this relevant?

Majine

Banned
I have 0 respect for any game developer that announces a game and then fail to deliver it. Especially if it's such a big title for fans as this one.

Psi

I never posted any details other than someone taking it upon themself to cross-reference my screen-name.

Why is this relevant?

You listed your usernames in your profile for everyone on the internet to see. Blame yourself.

dramatis

I believe I've already said this before but it doesn't make any sense to put up a chart like this listing the games released from the date of Versus's announcement, except for the laughs, which is still good. Did you expect them to release the game the day after?
I didn't put up the chart to diss Versus. I am aware that it has its development problems which leaked over from 13 in the first place.

Aeana made a comment about making a timeline of rpgs announced/released after Versus was announced. I replied noting that an incomplete chart I made already had over 100+ jrpgs listed post-Versus announcement. She asked for it, and since I had it handy, I posted it for her. It's that simple.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Why is this relevant?

you have a profile. it can be clicked on and updated. those things you fill-in, yeah, they aren't mandatory.

Pretty sure they announced IX, X and XI at the same time at the Square Milennium event. Though there was really only some concept work for X and just the confirmation that XI would be an online game . I don't recall ever shitting my pants do hard.

I didn't put up the chart to diss Versus. I am aware that it has its development problems which leaked over from 13 in the first place.

Aeana made a comment about making a timeline of rpgs announced/released after Versus was announced. I replied noting that an incomplete chart I made already had over 100+ jrpgs listed post-Versus announcement. She asked for it, and since I had it handy, I posted it for her. It's that simple.

My post was intended to be directed to a broad "all of you who take these things seriously", not a "you who made this chart". Sorry if it wasn't very clear, it wasn't intended to be personal.

Shamdeo

Still banking on some modicum of information to come out at TGS this year, barring none of these rumors are validated. Seems a bit unlikely it'll be at the 25th Anniversary Event.

Something about Nomura having an affinity for Jump Festa might play into it too. ;\

Famassu

Your argument seemed to me to be is that because they spent a lot of time working on FFVXIII, it must be good. I posted a counter-example to that thinking.

Did you have another point? If so, please enlighten us.
It's not the length of time, but HOW they've approached the development of the game. They didn't start development until they had a full idea of what they could achieve with PS3 and had all plans mostly thought out + they aren't taking any shortcuts with development. Sure, it has taken a long time (though, with relatively small team for much of that), but Final Fantasy Versus XIII might be one of the most ambitious games done so far. You don't make a game of the scale and (hopefully) quality in 2 years, this is not a 6-8 hour experience like Uncharted.

That's setting yourself for disappointment.
I don't expect the game to be flawless, there's just no way it will be outright BAD (and I seriously doubt it'll even be mediocre, at the very least it'll be good). What I know about the game and have seen from the game simply show a game with huge potential. The game looks like it'll be a mix of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XII set in a modern day world and trying to infuse the kind of interactive cinematic stuff into all of it that's usually just seen in super-linear games like Uncharted, not huge-ass open world-ish JRPGs. I mean, if you just look at the feature-list, the game seems like it could be one of the best JRPGs of all time, unless they've screwed up something incredibly basic. This is pretty much the game where Nomura is putting all he has learned & experienced so far, and he has a great team backing him up (the team has people who were behind games like Final Fantasy VII). I'm just confident he & his team will deliver the goods when Versus is finally released, based on everything we know & have seen of the game.

Hahahah...oh, wow. Are you new?
Edit: I mean, they took so long on XIII to ensure a quality product and look what we got...
They didn't take long with XIII to ensure quality, they took so long with it because they had problems with the tools to develop the game and THEN THEY RUSHED THE GAME OUT in pretty much one year. Seriously, don't comment on things you have no understanding of. :| The development of both games didn't start until some time in 2008. FFXIII was rushed out in a year (with the help of Nomura's team), Versus XIII has been allowed to take its time. FFXIII could be something very different if it was released in, say, 2011. That's where the whole "HD Towns are impossible" comes from, it was impossible for them in the actual time-span that they had for the game's development (not just screwing up its development tools)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Didn't care when the TLG news hit, don't really care bout this one either. Really, people move on, don't hype your shit for years when you're not even starting development. It's bad when nobody developers do it, it's embarrassing when big names do it

StuBurns

Banned
FFXIII was in development a lot longer than one year. Maybe the full push was that long, but development wasn't.

And FFXIII is absolutely a quality product. It's not a great game, but as a production, it's meticulous top to bottom. Those issues are of game design, not development. Versus might suck, but it's going to be very pretty and smooth while doing it if it does.

I hope these rumors put a pressure on SE to show us SOMETHING on Versus.

I was really cool in the last 6 years while everybody I knew lost their temper and excitement.... but me kept holding on.

Well... guess what?

NOT ANY F**KING MORE, I'M SO PISSED RIGHT NOW :mad:

OH.MY.GOD!!!!

SE... you are THE WORSE company this generation in the way your treat you fans!!!!

For GOD sake PLEASE have mercy on USSSSSSSSSSS.

AAAAAAARGGGGGHHHHHHHH ;_; :_; ;_;

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
after spending all that time and money some people really think SE is just going to let this game die?

Or it's never going to be released? Or it's for next generation?

Yes I know it's taking so very long.... But it's still coming out and on the PS3.
I hope these rumors put a pressure on SE to show us SOMETHING on Versus.

I was really cool in the last 6 years while everybody I knew lost their temper and excitement.... but me kept holding on.

Well... guess what?

NOT ANY F**KING MORE, I'M SO PISSED RIGHT NOW :mad:

OH.MY.GOD!!!!

SE... you are THE WORSE company this generation in the way you treat you fans!!!!

For GOD sake have mercy on USSSSSSSSSSS.

AAAAAAARGGGGGHHHHHHHH ;_; :_; ;_;

Yoshichan's apprentice?

Im finished with SE if this the case...finished with FF to most likely....to hell with FFXIII-2 if this is the case. Honestly, if they do cancel this I will write to SE to tell them how disappointed I am with their agenda this gen.

Pranay

This year

TGS will be the best ever -

1 - Versus exist and revealed
2 - TLG trailer and release date
3 - FF x hd release date

or worst tgs

1 - FF 13-3 revealed...............

with mass effect 3 dlc costume

Square Enix HQ -

omgroflf.gif

SenEXunk

Banned
Lets not pretend we didn't see this coming. And I'll say what everyone is thinking but afraid to say, The Last Guardian has been cancelled for some time but Sony doesn't have the balls to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom