• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Respawn's Game Xbox 360/720 Only, always-online, FPS, Includes Details

Audioboxer

If securing third party exclusives is anti-consumer then so is owning first party studios. There's practically no difference aside from when the studio's exclusivity was secured and for how long.

Pretty much, but it is quite dirty when it's timed exclusives. If you're going to go to 3rd parties, help them out, contribute to the development and not just line fat fuck publishers pockets, and therefore keep the game exclusive.

Especially when we get the whole developer/publisher playing the "we promise its exclusive" card, then holding a port release party after a 1 year window.

Wellscha

100% the same?
First party developers are owned and financed by the console they produce for. It makes sense their content is exclusive.

Brokering deals with 3rd parties developers to make games exclusive (which would otherwise be cross platform) makes sense just like it made sense for Apple to make the original iPhone exclusive to AT&T... get it, it didn't make sense... because AT&T's network sucked. But Apple went along with it because AT&T threw a wad of cash at them. Yay! what great business!!!!!!

As for "big western companies will support Durango more than PS4 for various reasons"... please expand on that wish.

Didn't you own the PS1 and PS2?

They fit the very definition you're advocating against.

KAL2006

Banned
Didn't you own the PS1 and PS2?

They fit the very definition you're advocating against.

Didn't most developers just choose to develop on PS1/PS2 and not just moneyhatted. Anyway I'm a bit disappointed this ain't coming to PS4 as I can only invest in one console. Oh well at least MS didn't moneyhat Destiny which I am excited for. Hopefully all these monyhats are just time exclusive as I can be patient. At least with Sony games we know they are fully exclusive in the long run.

GavinGT

Banned
There's no point in going always-online unless they're doing a persistent world, right? If that's the case, Titan sounds more like Destiny.

Hindle

Banned
I'm going to leave this thread after this comment, because i agree that both Sony and MS are going to have great exclusive content.

but GG is owned by Sony, so Killzone Shadowfall being exclusive to PS4 makes sense to me... third party exclusives don't IMO, especially next-gen when games are being written for PC'esque consoles that are more similar than different (unlike the architectural differences of the 360 and PS4).

Heh, dude I'd rather MS buy 3rd party games then come out with games like Killzone.

Both are valid options, MS will provide great first party experiences as well as buy 3rd party games. MS nurturing new IPs and helping establish them is just as effective as first party development.

Epic hasn't released a game since 2011, and technically Gears of War 3 was done as early as May 2010, as they were simply tweaking the multiplayer from that point forward after beta feedback.

Samaritan, Battlefield 4, Titan would have the shooter crowd frothing for nextbox.

p3tran

Banned
hey guys, anti-consumer is not a timed exclusive or even an exclusive.

anti-consumer is the always online drm shit they are trying to force.

just be smarter than to let yourselves be drawn in a fanboy war (ex. ms vs. sony) -and accepting the drm on the way,
just so you can brag about sony or you can brag about microsoft and what game each of them "secured".

NO GAME IS WORTH ACCEPTING ONLINE DRM.

The sooner everybody understands this, the better.

Ushae

Banned
If securing third party exclusives is anti-consumer then so is owning first party studios. There's practically no difference aside from when the studio's exclusivity was secured and for how long.

I agree, competition is good for the rest of us. It means both companies will step up their game with higher quality products through 1st or 3rd party offerings.

gaming_noob

May be off topic...but speaking of first party games from Sony, why don't they release PC versions of their first party games?

GavinGT

Banned
Microsoft thankfully does it in many cases.

They did it with Halo 1 and 2 years after their Xbox releases, sure. But lately it's only happened with games like Gears of War and Alan Wake (technically first party, but developed by third parties). And even then it's still years after the initial releases. There was Shadowrun which came out on PC at the same time, but who even gave a shit about that? (I'm sure some do)

charsace

Why do people keep saying EA wouldn't let this happen? Respawn is independent they aren't a part of EA. EA is just the publisher.

If this rumor is true then I have a feeling MS are backing the game because its probably really fucking good and it's gonna make people want it when they see it. It's an unknown new IP.

LTWheels

Why do people keep saying EA wouldn't let this happen? Respawn is independent they aren't a part of EA. EA is just the publisher.

Yeah people tend to forget that Respawn are independent. They are using EA Partner's program which is just distribution, like Valve and Crytek uses. It could be completely feasible that some of the funding is coming from Microsoft.

It is rumoured that EA Partners is shutting down, so EA might not have anything to do with the game anymore.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-left-4-dead-crysis-and-more-is-shutting-down

charsace

And people that think the FPS bubble is going to burst are crazy. FPS has had some down times, but always bounced back from them. FPS is the strongest genre in the gaming industry.

Microsoft's game development strategy: Why cultivate your own 1st party creative game development companies when you can simply moneyhat your way into the mainstream?

MS can buyout all the COD's and COD knock off's as far as i care.

I personally think it would be better for all of us if there were no 3rd party exclusives or 3rd party exclusive content/DLC. They the big firms (EA, Activision, Ubisoft) push there warez to everyone. Leave it up to the console companies (Sony & MS) to make awesome exclusive games.

EDIT: I mean, when MS locked up The Ballad of Gay Tony, and The Lost and the Damned... i didn't go buy a 360... it just pissed me off, and i waited a year until it was available on the PS3. I get it... it's business, but it's also anti-consumer.

I don't think you understand what anti-consumer means. It might be anti-fanboy though.

Edit: beaten badly

Goldmund

They did it with Halo 1 and 2 years after their Xbox releases, sure. But lately it's only happened with games like Gears of War and Alan Wake (technically first party, but developed by third parties). And even then it's still years after the initial releases. There was Shadowrun which came out on PC at the same time, but who even gave a shit about that? (I'm sure some do)
I'm counting XBLA stuff; those games, too, aren't first party, but as close as it gets in Microsoft's case, and probably the best "exclusives" they have.

Didn't most developers just choose to develop on PS1/PS2 and not just moneyhatted. Anyway I'm a bit disappointed this ain't coming to PS4 as I can only invest in one console. Oh well at least MS didn't moneyhat Destiny which I am excited for. Hopefully all these monyhats are just time exclusive as I can be patient. At least with Sony games we know they are fully exclusive in the long run.

Disappointed? Jeez how many shooters do you want to play?

There's too many already coming out on PS4.

This probably explains why EA wasn't there at Sony's PS4 announcement.

You would think they would show up.

This arrangement can be big, if it goes beyond the 'Respawn game'.

KAL2006

Banned
Disappointed? Jeez how many shooters do you want to play?

There's too many already coming out on PS4.

Depends, probably too early to tell. But I liked the feeling of COD games, the controls and the gameplay, except I didnt like the setting. Reading that this game is futuristic with giant mech titans sounds cool. This is all of course if this game feels as fluid as COD and the setting turns out to be good. But of course it isnt as bad losing out on this game. If Destiny was exclusive to Durango I would definitely be disapointed as that game really appeals to me. So far all the IPs MS has like Forza, GeoW, Halo and etc don't really appeal to me, except this game.

charsace

lol no. Sony paid money for exclusives on the PS1. How can you have a Mortal Kombat avatar and not know this? Mortal Kombat 3 was one of Sony's first big exclusives. Sega had to make due with Mortal Kombat 2(lol).

khustla

Banned
Tiny hints showing that Microsoft has some kind of deal with ea for instance when they showed off the new cover for madden on espn they showed the Xbox version only

abadguy

Banned
Another first person shooter.

Oh boy.

Just putting that out there.

You expected something different from the makers of COD? In fact it was pretty much always known that this was a FPS, so i am not getting your point.

An always-online first person shooter.

Like Destiny.

A few thoughts:

- BIG coup for Microsoft.
- MS abandoning internal development in favor of third party exclusives is disappointing.
- always-online moves closer to reality.
- MS supposedly playing catch-up for launch is not good news.

How does opening a bunch of studios translate to "abandoning" internal development?

KAL2006

Banned
lol no. Sony paid money for exclusives on the PS1. How can you have a Mortal Kombat avatar and not know this? Mortal Kombat 3 was one of Sony's first big exclusives. Sega had to make due with Mortal Kombat 2(lol).

Had no idea, hopefully MS dont money hat too many games, if they do I may have to reconsider buying a PS4 and go for Durango. At the end of it all its about games and I have to weigh which system has more I want.

PS4
inFamous
Uncharted
Final Fantasy XV (potential time exclusive)
Last Guardian

Durango
Respawn game (potential time exclusive)

Halo, Killzone, Forza and etc don't appeal to me, though I would buy those if I already owned the system.

So far PS4 wins, but things can change in a year (not going to be a launch buyer)

Ok, now this is just ridiculous. We bash MS constantly for their lack of 1st party games and investing so much into Kinect, and now that they secure an exclusive people bitch and hope the game comes to PS4 instead? And yet the same people will have no problem is Versus is PS4 exclusive?

Izick

Tiny hints showing that Microsoft has some kind of deal with ea for instance when they showed off the new cover for madden on espn they showed the Xbox version only

I don't think so. They always show the 360 version of games first, or only, just because of the brand awareness and market-share it has, at least in the US. Same thing for PS2 in that era.

Just go to any site that lists consoles, you'll almost always see the 360 listed first.

Ok, now this is just ridiculous. We bash MS constantly for their lack of 1st party games and investing so much into Kinect, and now that they secure an exclusive people bitch and hope the game comes to PS4 instead? And yet the same people will have no problem is Versus is PS4 exclusive?

Not to mention people there are a lot of people that are "excited" about the possibility of FF XV being exclusive as well. I just don't get it.

Are you generalizing to make a point.

And aren't the rumors that Sony is co-developing,

khustla

Banned
It's possible that Microsoft has other ea exclusives, getting them not just by money but the guarantee of a anti used game feature on their new console

Like I said in the other Durango thread, MS again paying money to keep games off of PC.

Also, I speculated as to why MS would have an always on console when it gave them no advantage over Sony. Unless it gets them exclusives by blocking used game sales. Hopefully this isnt true.

Unless MS are extremely confident in this game, I don't understand how a new IP could be considered a system seller, especially when you consider Sony's launch lineup

Tomcat

Unless MS are extremely confident in this game, I don't understand how a new IP could be considered a system seller, especially when you consider Sony's launch lineup

a respawn fps with the tag "from the creators of cod" is going to have more hype than any killzone game. And after all didn't here at gaf everyone wanted new ips? now they cant be considered system sellers? what logic is this?

KAL2006

Banned

New IPs are the cheapest exclusives probably. And we had many hits. Halo, Mass Effect, Gears, Uncharted and etc. It all depends on the quality of the game and good marketing behind it. An example is Gears of War, quality new IP with great marketing push behind it.

The kid who's dad purchased him the opposing console got fucked, as did the college kid who only has one console, as did the person who refuses to buy more than 1 game machine. Its business YES, but its not BENEFICIAL to everyone.

AHAHAHAHAHhahahha har har har ahr har. i can laugh too, see.

Buy the console that has the games you want to play. Not that complicated.

Which of Sony's rumored launch games are system sellers? I'm a big Infamous fan, but that sure isn't. DriveClub is a new IP, and Killzone has only ever been a moderate success.

For those who are questioning the success of this game, do you play COD? BlopsII lobbies are full of people who have been clamoring for the new game from Respawn. Also, if MS did indeed buy exclusivity, they will market this game everywhere

KAL2006

Banned
Which of Sony's rumored launch games are system sellers? I'm a big Infamous fan, but that sure isn't. DriveClub is a new IP, and Killzone has only ever been a moderate success.

Exactly, I personally prefer inFamous over Halo. But obviously know Halo is a system seller and inFamous is not. Sony can launch with inFamous, Drive Club, Killzone, Knack and etc, but none of those games don't look to be system sellers. Of course we don't know about Respwan IP enough, but them being devs behind COD4 makes the game have potential.

Top Bottom