• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Xbox 3 has BluRay, Kinect 2 w/ processor, anti-used games, 8x 360 power

I have doubts about the anti-used game rumor, but if it was possible, I'd gladly permanently activate my physical discs for digital or disc-based version installs that no longer require the retail disc for verification and are tied to the account. Of course, that would mean that either each game has unique info embedded on disc or, more likely, each disc has a unique serial number provided with new retail titles.

monome

This.^^

If anything I wish they would make the controller a little bit bigger.

Kinect 2.0 means MS is still flooding money into it and wants more vocal and gesture stuff, and a smaller controller fits the larger entertainment strategy as it makes less clutter in the living room.

Still design and ergonomics have gone places since XBOX360 was released, I'm hopefull a smaller controller can get the job done just as well.

triggaz

Banned
This is sickening and the defense of these publishers with there anti used game policies is worst.

First off if I buy a game on Physical media that's my property I should be able to do what I want with it. I have a 11 year old son with his own xbox so he won't be able to play a game I buy out of a store???

Second these publishers with there entitled attitude feeling like they are owed multiple payments for each piece of merchandise sold is crazy know other market in the history of man is run like this. They are merchants who sell merchandise once it's sold it's sold they are know longer entitled to make more money off it.

Third they are talking out of both sides of there mouth. They hate used games but keep giving Gamestop exclusive content for purchasing there they hate used games but want us to pre-order there product before it even hits the market. When these used games are used to fund day 1 purchases of new releases it's all good. It's just when someone buys the used game it becomes a problem. Why is there money more important than mine.

Finally Gamestop is ok with me my biggest issues is not there profits off of used games it's the fact they have no real competition so there price is somewhat inflated. But it's not the $5 dollar cheaper that the internet likes to cry about hell they are constantly having buy 2 used get one free sales so I've experimented on a lot of games that way. We don't need less used game sellers we need more. If a pub or dev can't adapt there business model and have to close shop so be it. The Market dictates the Market isn't here to serve the corporation. Like these publishers will have us believe and we aren't here to support devs they are here to support there product and client base.

The xbox platforms have been my favorite but believe me no used games no xbox for me. doubt if this is true though.

ShinAmano

This is sickening and the defense of these publishers with there anti used game policies is worst.

First off if I buy a game on Physical media that's my property I should be able to do what I want with it. I have a 11 year old son with his own xbox so he won't be able to play a game I buy out of a store???

Second these publishers with there entitled attitude feeling like they are owed multiple payments for each piece of merchandise sold is crazy know other market in the history of man is run like this. They are merchants who sell merchandise once it's sold it's sold they are know longer entitled to make more money off it.

Third they are talking out of both sides of there mouth. They hate used games but keep giving Gamestop exclusive content for purchasing there they hate used games but want us to pre-order there product before it even hits the market. When these used games are used to fund day 1 purchases of new releases it's all good. It's just when someone buys the used game it becomes a problem. Why is there money more important than mine.

Finally Gamestop is ok with me my biggest issues is not there profits off of used games it's the fact they have no real competition so there price is somewhat inflated. But it's not the $5 dollar cheaper that the internet likes to cry about hell they are constantly having buy 2 used get one free sales so I've experimented on a lot of games that way. We don't need less used game sellers we need more. If a pub or dev can't adapt there business model and have to close shop so be it. The Market dictates the Market isn't here to serve the corporation. Like these publishers will have us believe and we aren't here to support devs they are here to support there product and client base.

The xbox platforms have been my favorite but believe me no used games no xbox for me. doubt if this is true though.
I agree 100%. I can't remember the last time I bought a used game, but not having that option is bullshit on so many levels.

graboids

No used games won't mean I will buy more games at full price, it just means I will buy/play less games each year. I don't buy used games because I hate supporting the people that make them, I do it because I can't afford to drop $60 that often. Also, if there is no used market I would be less likely to take a chance on a game at full price knowing I am just stuck with it if it sucks, used games are like a safety net when buying something you are on the fence about.

Z3M0G

I lend games to my friends all the time... it's one of the ways I justify owning 40+ PS3 games at the prices I've been paying...

"Share the love", I say.

Are we sure the anti-used game blurb doesn't refer to digital distribution? I don't believe Microsoft would be foolish enough to lock physical games to an XBL account.

This reminds me in the pre-Windows XP days when people thought that Microsoft implemented some form of protection so that you could not watch any pirated movies on your PC.

I hate unti-used-games policy.

I don't even sell or trade games, but it's nice to know that my collection has a certain value. I can lend them to friends, neighbours and relatives. I like having friends in my room and checking the collection.
If the games cannot be played on other consoles, why even bother having a physical copy? Why wasting my space with discs which don't have any value right after entering the console the first time? Just make them downloadable, at least I can save some space.

Physical copies of games would be worthless like apps, which don't have reselling value either. If a game doesn't have reselling value, even $20 is hard to swallow.

This needs quoting. I believe that we are already have been seeing a systemic reduction in (percieved) value among costumers. I do like to trade and buy used (even if just for the social interaction and getting a feel for the process of how value is determined) and basically every game I've bought at either full price or one month after release has become just about worthless on the (used) market. There is no monetary incentive anymore to buy new and sell used. The only monetary incentive left is to just wait for budget prices or not buy at all, basically robbing the not-so-populair games of new sales.

And people have started to expect such rock bottom prices, even if the game is hardly a month old! I feel pretty confident in saying this tactic is going to bite the industry in the ass big time, if it hasn't done so already.

They're going to start putting stickers on the inside of game cases with QR codes. When you buy a game, you pop it in, and it will tell you that in order to play, you have to unlock. You hold the QR code up to the Kinect where it's scanned, and then it checks with the server to see if that code has been used yet. If it hasn't been used, it lets you play the game. If it has been used, well then, you're shit out of luck.

As a proponent of the One Console Future, where that console is being manufactured by Nintendo, I fully support Microsoft in this endeavour.

triggaz

Banned
This needs quoting. I believe that we are already have been seeing a systemic reduction in (percieved) value among costumers. I do like to trade and buy used (even if just for the social interaction and getting a feel for the process of how value is determined) and basically every game I've bought at either full price or one month after release has become just about worthless on the (used) market. There is no monetary incentive anymore to buy new and sell used. The only monetary incentive left is to just wait for budget prices or not buy at all, basically robbing the not-so-populair games of new sales.

And people have started to expect such rock bottom prices, even if the game is hardly a month old! I feel pretty confident in saying this tactic is going to bite the industry in the ass big time, if it hasn't done so already.

Not to be a jerk but your "costumers" misquote gave me a vision of the avengers and justice league sitting around a table trading video gamers lol back on topic now

For years my brother & I have traded games saving us a ton of money. Would this no longer be possible with this anti-used game idea.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Truth be told, I'd never even considered that anyone might try this in the console space.

This is a simply awful idea. So awful and anti-consumer that, even if the rumor is false and this tech isn't in the next generation, now that Pandora's box has been opened this truly seems like an eventuality.

Such an idea is so wicked and greedy, I couldn't have even formed it myself I dare say. Knowing what we do about these publishers though, how can anyone not feel this coming in their very bones?

I can only hope that any company that tries this is met with abject failure. Sadly, almost 3 decades of having games as a hobby and many years of being active in game communities on the 'net has made me lose all faith in gamers to do the right thing in this regard.

Even if the 720 or what have you includes this "feature" the sales will be through the roof.

There are too many rumors at this point for this system NOT to make an appearance at E3. I'm also not convinced that it's a 2013 launch -- this year is still a distinct possibility.

M3d10n

Not that older folks would necessarily be so adept, but have you ever actually gifted a game to someone on Steam? You put the item in your cart, checkout, and specify the Steam name or E-mail address of the recipient. They click redeem, and they have the game.

Steam has made my Xmas shopping so easy it's a joke.

It's much easier and more likely for the proverbial grandma to know young Timmy has an Xbox (which is plastered all over retail) than her knowing about the existence of Steam (something only internet denizens know about), let alone having an account of her own which she can use to send gifts via e-mail.

You're really out of touch with reality if you think people will easily give up giving someone a physical gift wrapped in fancy paper wrap and send redeem codes via e-mail en masse anytime soon.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ITT: people don't understand that game prices scale

You'll be able to buy games at the same price you buy used games, except the money doesn't line the pockets of those who don't deserve a profit

M3d10n

ITT: people don't understand that game prices scale

You'll be able to buy games at the same price you buy used games, except the money doesn't line the pockets of those who don't deserve a profit

Yeah, we'll buy them form the bomba bin where the store is actually losing money on each copy sold. That is, until they stop ordering more than three copies of any game not guaranteed to be a mega blockbuster because they'll never get a return on it anyway.

Publishers are too stupid and will go bankrupt before the idea of reducing the prices on console games ever crosses their minds.

I oppose used game sales (I actually wish it was illegal) and I'm willing to support companies that share my position on this matter.

Do you oppose selling used items in other industries? Do you think, for example, that it should have been illegal for me to have gotten my stilt-bag from the thrift shop a few weeks ago? I technically did deprive the industry of about ten bucks there.

Also, if your answer is no, why?

Massa

Do you oppose selling used items in other industries? Do you think, for example, that it should have been illegal for me to have gotten my stilt-bag from the thrift shop a few weeks ago? I technically did deprive the industry of about ten bucks there.

The difference is that game discs contain copyrighted software, which fall under this legislation.

DopeyFish

Yeah, we'll buy them form the bomba bin where the store is actually losing money on each copy sold. That is, until they stop ordering more than three copies of any game not guaranteed to be a mega blockbuster because they'll never get a return on it anyway.

Your scope of the industry is only at arms length eh?

Once the used industry is gone it opens up many different possibilities

Things like register activations where the games are treated like prepaid cards where they are only charged the price of shipping/disc creation... Allowing a retailer to have walls full of games at whatever price the publisher wants them to sell for (receipt prints out activation QR code)

Or by purchasing a card of the game itself for DD

There are ways to shift liability off the retailer for game releases so That only buying 3 copies doesn't happen

mclaren777

Do you oppose selling used items in other industries?

Nope, not all industries. Just ones where you could argue that consumers are only buying a license to access to the IP. So mostly just software, music, movies, and games. I wish Congress would pass a bill that makes the transfer of such licenses illegal. Friends would surely still lend/borrow stuff and I'm fine with that, but it would make stores like GameStop revise their business models or close altogether.

Hyuga

Banned
I oppose used game sales (I actually wish it was illegal) and I'm willing to support companies that share my position on this matter.

brchx4eu.gif

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If this Xbox anti-used games thing is true, this can only be good news for Nintendo (assuming they don't do the same with Wii U). I'm predicting there'll be a mass exodus of gamers to Wii U despite Nintendo's spotty relationship with 3rd party games.

BFIB

Why make the controller smaller!? I certainly hope if thats the case, we can still use our 360 controllers on the new system.

LCfiner

It seems like mclaren's controversial opinions apply to all potential topics of conversation ever.

I got a feeling that the term "anti" might have been misused. I bet that, if anything, the new consoles might have more robust support in their software for those online passes and "project 10 dollar" initiatives. I think someone else (or many others) already mentioned that in this thread.

that's not the same thing as having hooks built in to actively disallow used game sales and lending, etc.

DopeyFish

It seems like mclaren's controversial opinions apply to all potential topics of conversation ever.

I got a feeling that the term "anti" might have been misused. I bet that, if anything, the new consoles might have more robust support in their software for those online passes and "project 10 dollar" initiatives. I think someone else (or many others) already mentioned that in this thread.

that's not the same thing as having hooks built in to actively disallow used game sales and lending, etc.

shareware is coming back!

Nintendo hates used games. If Microsoft take the plunge first I would expect the other hardware makers to follow.

bingo! it plagues everyone

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If this Xbox anti-used games thing is true, this can only be good news for Nintendo (assuming they don't do the same with Wii U). I'm predicting there'll be a mass exodus of gamers to Wii U despite Nintendo's spotty relationship with 3rd party games.

Nintendo hates used games. If Microsoft take the plunge first I would expect the other hardware makers to follow.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam is anti-used games and gamers love it.

This sort of thing is inevitable on console.

People continue to raise this as a counterpoint, but it has no basis in reality. PC games have been reliant upon CD keys for well over a decade and thus have had no discernible "used market". Yes, Timmy could lend his friend a copy of Quake 3 Arena and said friend could install the game with the used CD key and play offline just fine, but the same is true of sharing Steam accounts and utilising its Offline Mode.

PC gamers don't "love it"; Steam is simply a digital extension of a physical system that has been in place for years, and at - potentially - a fraction of the cost; hence the lack of fuss.

Edit: To be clear, this is a general statement and not a rebuttal of your post.

FLEABttn

Banned

bingo! it plagues everyone

Basically this. It's like when AT&T raises its rates and Verizon raise theirs in lockstep. When EA (or whoever) proposed the $60 game and everyone on the HD side raised their game prices by $10.

If MS does it, the others will follow unless it turns out to be an unmitigated disaster, which I'm nowhere near convinced it will be.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gamers love it because pricing is variable and constantly fluctuates. I don't think any of us have faith that this would be the case on the next Xbox (if the rumor is true).

Basically yes. I wouldn't rag on Steam for their prices. You ride them for other things which I can't even think of one that really bothers me but the pricing and such have always been an advantage on PC. CD keys and stuff have been the norm forever on PC. Minus the random site like GMG which has a neat trade in program but it's a little different for consoles.

Robot Pants

lol I guess people don't remember a few years ago when Sony wanted to try the same 'no used games' idea with the PS3.
It's not gonna work, they aren't gonna do it. Don't sweat it.

Alex

Er, there's a fairly significant difference in the good digital distribution centers and retail, don't you think? I don't mind not being able to sell off old games on DD services since they ebb and flow so much more naturally as a marketplace. Things are always changing in price, being bundled up, going on sale and they're often priced great out of the gate to begin with.

I don't have to jump through hoops with retailer coupons or wait six++ months (or luck out on a Holiday) just to get a game at a non-ridiculous price. Now if they want to dissuade used games AND also cut 20 bucks off the price of games in addition to posting up more healthy DD markets like iOS and Steam where games don't just sit and stagnate, then I'll support that, sure.

Top Bottom