• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Xbox 3 has BluRay, Kinect 2 w/ processor, anti-used games, 8x 360 power

itsgreen

This being a gaming forum I know it's sort of natural for the focus of the Nextbox to be hardware power but that's the least important aspect for it be successful imo. 95% of the gaming world really don't care about high end graphics. The Wii selling almost 100 million really emphasis that. Microsoft ought to offer new gameplay experiences that can't be found elsewhere. Otherwise I believe the Nextbox will be less successful in terms of sales than the 360. There has to be a 'catch'. Whether you like it or not, the mass market likes 'gimmicky' things. I really wonder if Microsoft has something that would be a mass market attention grabber for its next console. Maybe they will go the U Pad route with improvements?

They already have a natural interface... it's called Kinect... it's succesful... and a Kinect 2 will be even more precise and have higher resolution

Eusis

They already have a natural interface... it's called Kinect... it's succesful... and a Kinect 2 will be even more precise and have higher resolution
Standardizing may help, but the Motion Plus didn't seem to really do as well for Nintendo as they would've liked and the Move is relatively unimportant. Maybe launching with the console will make the difference, but it's possible the Kinect 1 stole the thunder the Kinect 2 would've had.

StevieP

Banned
8x ? That's ridiculous, given the time gap. They may as well not bother. The Xbox 360 was probably closer to 50x more powerful than the original Xbox in theoretical computational power, and probably more than that in GPU performance.

Not even remotely true.

Not even remotely true.

Yeah really. Lets take a simple stat, RAM. Xbox 64 MB, 360 512MB, 8X.

CPU, well Xenon is really terrible per core (in order), so lets say each core is only 2X the 700 mhz celeron in Xbox despite being 3X clock. 3 of them so we have 6X (understand, just my opinion and I'm not a programmer).

GPU, I assume nvidia had 2 ALU's per pipe back in that time, if so Xbox GPU had 8 ALU's, vs 48 in Xenos, 6X. Xenos then has double clock (500 vs 233) so call it 12X. Another way would be transistors, 60m in XbGPU 337m in Xenos, ~5.5X, double clock=11X.

Nothing close to 50X, overall looks like ~10x.

CPU, well Xenon is really terrible per core (in order), so lets say each core is only 2X the 700 mhz celeron in Xbox despite being 3X clock. 3 of them so we have 6X (understand, just my opinion and I'm not a programmer).

GPU, I assume nvidia had 2 ALU's per pipe back in that time, if so Xbox GPU had 8 ALU's, vs 48 in Xenos, 6X. Xenos then has double clock (500 vs 233) so call it 12X. Another way would be transistors, 60m in XbGPU 337m in Xenos, ~5.5X, double clock=11X.

The <insert number here>X comparison for the whole system is getting a little MGS4 carnival like heh.

That being said, I think each core in the 360 could run 2 threads simultaneously, no?

Not every 360 is connected to live.....if it used "must activate online systems" it would effectively kill most of its sales in the third world.

Even worse, it puts a fatal weak spot in the whole gaming market, one that is subject to massive damage.

Can you imagine what would have happened to Sony if they had a 'cd key' type activation system for disc games this generation?

When PSN went down for weeks, nobody would be able to play any new games. Period. Bring a disc home, find out you can't activate it, and then you can't even play it single player.

Sony would be DONE.

That's too much of an achilles heel for these guys to roll out. Anonymous would go NUTS with their attacks.

I guess that's closer to right.

No used/rental games huh?

*cough*PC Master Race*cough*

In all seriousness, I'm not surprised if said rumor turns out to be true, as it is Microsoft. Then again Kotaku could be shitting us (which is most likely).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still waiting for my rumor 720 uses the Gameboy Color chipset. Why hasn't anybody written that up yet?

i thought sure it would arrive today.

I'm afraid the reality is the 720 will be very powerful-if I had to guess the most powerful of all- and you wont be seeing it for a long time,.

Yet every rumor we've had doesn't even come close to saying this.

I'd like to know your "reality," as you accused most of us pointing out the other rumors to be living in an "alternate reality" earlier in the thread.

Can't wait for the new consoles. Just thinking about having new controllers around makes me excited... hopefully they are somewhat aesthetically different.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Its been said by microsoft that the leap from xbox to 360 is 10x. If microsoft says it on the internet, i believe them.

They also say it had 5x the memory bandwidth of the PS3, never-mind the fact they were comparing a poultry 10MB of eDRAM to the PS3s system ram.

They also say it had 5x the memory bandwidth of the PS3, never-mind the fact they were comparing a poultry 10MB of eDRAM to the PS3s system ram.

Well, that bandwidth to the edram has proved to be one of the most consistent advantages that the X360 has had over PS3 when it comes to multiplatform releases...

TriGen

When looking over the Kotaku rumor's they said that Microsoft plans on releasing a smaller controller, that ties into the other rumor from I believe XBM about the small Vita sized controller with a screen rumor we heard.

When looking over the Kotaku rumor's they said that Microsoft plans on releasing a smaller controller, that ties into the other rumor from I believe XBM about the small Vita sized controller with a screen rumor we heard.

I don't think Vita is much smaller than the 360 controller, if at all. I'm more inclined to believe that the smaller controller rumor points to a one-handed (or split) controller that could be comfortably used with Kinect.

Top Bottom