• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Xbox 3 has BluRay, Kinect 2 w/ processor, anti-used games, 8x 360 power

Levyne

Banned
I just grabbed 4 PS2 games used on the cheap that I missed last generation. Introduced me to some developers I never played a game form before that are now on my radar.

I will miss doing that in 2 generations.

test_account

XP-39C²
okay heres the wild card.

because these games are anti used. what if ms releases all their games at a base price of 49.99
The price of the game isnt that big of a factor in this for me. I am a game collector, and the idea that i cant buy used games that are out of print really sucks. Like if i want to try to complete a game collection, finding PS3 games that are 4-5 years old is near impossible if i cant buy them used.

Gravijah

Why not? Give a cut to publishers and I'm sure they'd be fine. Better than the massive zero dollars they're getting now.

they would have all the leverage. i just don't see the industry supporting rentals if they have the ability to get rid of them.

Apdiddy

If the 'anti-used game' initiative is true, I'm not buying Microsoft's next system.

However, if Microsoft is smart about it and have Xbox Live Gold members get a discount for purchasing retail games in brick & mortar stores, that lessen the blow somewhat (pay $10 to $40 for a game new as opposed to $50-$60). But I don't see them extending that goodwill gesture.

itsgreen

I thought Microsoft was pretty hot for social gaming...

But gone are the days that you bring a game to a friends house...

No more MS points, no more used games. WTF MS!!!!!!????

I'll still buy one, heh. I think.

Man, if no used, retail prices better go down. Yea right.

Grisby

"I'm also hearing that Microsoft is interested in making a smaller controller for its new console."

PLEASE don't change the 360 pad too much. It's pretty much perfect.

PLEASE.
That's actually what I was worried about too. I love that thing. Best controller ever made.

Also, F that nonsense with the anti used game stuff.

legacyzero

Banned
Hmm. Seems pretty drastic....

6 times the 360's power? hmmmm
Blocking used games? hmmmmmmmmm
blu ray? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
smaller controller? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oppo

Anti used Game system sounds hilariously unbelievable.

Xbox Live now required for all gameplay?

I don't really buy it either. At the same time, I do not doubt for a second their desire to implement something that could enable blocking of used games.

Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their so-called Xbox 720.
It's not clear if that means that the system wouldn't play used games or how such a set-up would work. Obvious approaches—I'm theorizing here—like linking a copy of a game to a specific Xbox Live account could seemingly be foiled by used-game owners who would keep their system offline. My source wasn't sure how Microsoft intended to implement any anti-used game system in the new machine.

Yeah, calling shenanigans. Such a system would mean that you couldn't lend/borrow games from your friends.

How would the system distinguish between a borrowed and a used game?

see5harp

As much as publishers may despise Gamestop, MS will NEVER do anything to damage a relationship with the biggest video game exclusive retailer in North America. Don't be so daft.

Aside from the "no used games" rumor, I wonder what Sony or somebody else is going to say about the next Playstation that guarantees I'll never buy one.

First year I might actually be going to E3 and I'm not looking forward to it in the slightest.

Setero

Neo Member
If the anti used game features are true then why are they trying to stop used game sales instead of being the ones to do it, they act like its dirty money.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, calling shenanigans. Such a system would mean that you couldn't lend/borrow games from your friends.

How would the system distinguish between a borrowed and a used game?

If your friend is on your current friends list, they can "activate" your game on their system to use.

muu

Could they have something like a one-time burnable strip on the disc that'll tie the specific disc to your account? Guess it doesnt seem unreasonable, esp with writable drives going down in price the way they've been.

Retailers may not like it, but devs certainly will appreciate not having to worry about used game sales which provides them zero benefit. I primarily buy used anyway, so I say good on them for trying to better the industry.

Grecco

Xbox Live now required for all gameplay?

I don't really buy it either. At the same time, I do not doubt for a second their desire to implement something that could enable blocking of used games.

And fuck over Gamestop as well, the single biggest video game retailer. Not happening.

The only possible anti used game system that I could see working is being connected to Xbox Live but I don't see that happening. Plus Gamestop would not sit back and just lose their used game market.

Levyne

Banned
In two generations, everything will be digital so you would probably just be able to buy them as part of the archive.

Well I'd be buying "next" (Xbox 3) generation games used in 2 gens! Xbox 3 games are still gonna be disk media, right!?

Being honest, I wouldn't mind 100% digital distribution as long as previous gen games are kept available (probably) at reasonable prices (lol)

Duxxy3

Would be great if MS did follow through with the anti-piracy measures and sony/nintendo did not.

I could see gamestop and used game retailers not even having it on shelves.

Remember when this same rumor was going around about Sony's PS3 having some one time use deal going on.

Needless to say the people in that thread overrated like fuck and got their panties in a bunch for a rumor.

Good to see it's happening here too.

A rumor from Kotaku no less.

Why are we listening to Kotaku now?

LOL no way they kill used games. They may as well just sell all their first party IP to Nintendo and Sony so they can exit quietly.

cilonen

No used huh? I hope it's true, I'd love to see an epic face plant.

Would be great if MS did follow through with the anti-piracy measures and sony/nintendo did not.

I could see gamestop and used game retailers not even having it on shelves.

Did we miss Microsoft hiring Captain Buzzkill to head up the Entertainment and Devices Division or somethhing? Seriously, all we need now is for them to announce 343i have been working on Halo 4: Kinect Party and Turn 10 have abandoned Forza to take up work on the newly aquired Cars license from Disney and I think we'd have all the bridges well and truly burned.

Top Bottom