• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Silent Hills officially cancelled

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I still hope Del Toro and Kojima make a AAA horror game together.

Give them a new home. I'm looking at you Sony.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
A2RgZ6x.jpg

SOLDIER

I just realized something:

A soulless entity that works its contractual employees to the bone and then discards them once they are no longer of use, feeling no sympathy or gratitude and turning a deaf ear to the outcry of people on the outside...

Konami isn't The Devil.

Konami is Kyubey.

5H6G0za.png

I think the worst part is that I was playing through all silent hill games for the first time to get ready for this. Suffered through the shitty ones...only had one more to go

I'd love to see them sell their properties, but you know they will never do that. I'd be curious to see what Nintendo, Sony, and MS would buy, if any. I'd like to see Bomberman and Adventure Island go to Nintendo, and Silent Hill to be MS or Sony.

Toad.T

Banned
Now all they have to do is piss off the Pro Evolution Soccer fans, and they're fully dead.

...Are there even any PES fans on GAF?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Did this game even exist?

In my restless dreams it did.

And Konami have now killed off Silent Hill and Castlevania, and MGS V will likely be the last one anyone cares about, so I guess they just want to exit video games completely. Hope they'll at least sell off their major IPs to someone who can actually do something with them.

C'mon Sony, buy Silent Hill and MGS ;_;

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sn4ke, do you like to rub salt in the wound, brother? WHY DO YOU DO THIS?

Sagroth

I have not been following what's been happening. What happened? Where's Kojima? Why didn't he step in to save SH?

Short version:

Konami is likely fucking Kojima over somehow, as his place on the board is gone, he is currently only contracting on MGS5,and he and his team will be gone in December(Konami is also systematically removing Kojima's name from all of his games, a total dick move).

This leaves Kojima unable to "save" Silent Hills from cancellation. There was some hope that they'd sell the IP to Sony or Kojima himself or something, but instead we're likely to get a half-assed game designed by a no-name Western developer on the cheap.

Short version:

Konami is likely fucking Kojima over somehow, as his place on the board is gone, he is currently only contracting on MGS5,and he and his team will be gone in December(Konami is also systematically removing Kojima's name from all of his games, a total dick move).

This leaves Kojima unable to "save" Silent Hills from cancellation. There was some hope that they'd sell the IP to Sony or Kojima himself or something, but instead we're likely to get a half-assed game designed by a no-name Western developer on the cheap.

What? Kojima is no longer with or going to be with Konami? When did this happen? And why?

Edit:
Wives?

If Kojima took to Kickstarter to make a horror game in the same vein as P.T. I would put $100 down instantly. I'm pretty sure he could get a huge budget by doing KS in the near term because of all the feels from the community.

I wonder if anything would prevent him from doing so.

CazTGG

The only worse thing that could happen at this point is that Konami sells its IP to EA.

Replace "EA" with "Atari" and you'd have a terrible night.

I do wonder if any of this fallout will result in several of the developers leaving and form their own company like Treasure did in the 90s.

Mifec

The only worse thing that could happen at this point is that Konami sells its IPs to EA.

Lets hope it sells them to an independent studio and not some company like Sony of Microsoft which would basically turn the games into exclusives and preclude people from being able to play it if they had a different console, wanted the best version.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How can it be "officially canceled" if Konami won't say shit?

This whole circus is completely ridiculous because they won't say anything about console development, their IPs or anything else. If your going to cancel the games, fire the creators and downsize to lower levels development(ie ditching core games), atleast let your shareholders and stakeholders know about what your doing, this is completely irresponsible as a company

UrbanRats

What a bone head company to just let PT and it's buzz die without capitalizing on it. Just stupid.

This is the most absurd aspect.
I won't say that Silent Hills was necessarily going to do huge numbers (no horror ever will, anyway), but given the state the franchise was in (after they tore it to shreds with 10 years of bad decisions), the amount of buzz and attention P.T. got, was nothing short of a miracle.
Yet they are just happy to throw it all in the trash like this.

I know it's been said like a million times already, but this is such a fucking bummer. I was really, really, really looking forward to what Kojima and Del Toro were going to bring to the series.

Big-E

What a bone head company to just let PT and it's buzz die without capitalizing on it. Just stupid.

It is, but Konami doesn't give a single fuck about games. Not one fuck at all. The only reason Metal Gear is coming out at all is because they spent so much on it that it has to come out. Silent Hills wasn't that far along so they just got rid of it. I would fully expect Metal Gear Solid 5 to be the last full featured game that comes out in the West from them.

Sorry to post this, I'm sure it was already discussed a lot but this thread is kinda big and there is no further information on the first page. I wasn't following the whole deal with Silent Hills, but did Konami came up with an excuse/explanation for turning it down? As far as I know, P.T. received very positive reviews.

Linconan

Meh.. It won't be cancelled just delayed imo until something is sorted out.

They aren't (you'd think) going to waste millions, and gain potential millions more on just one man.
I'm sure PT would've been "one of" the highest downloads on PSN and with all the Attention/Hype/Praise etc, i just don't see a cancel.

They can't be that stupid..

*sleeps better at night*

Top Bottom