• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Silent Hills officially cancelled

mave198

You claimed that any future (potential) games couldn't have even the slightest similarity to Silent Hills. That's incorrect. Iterative changes and copious "borrowing" of ideas is what advances the industry. Otherwise, our FPS library would be limited to Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, and puzzle games wouldn't have gone on past Tetris (yes, I'm sure there are even earlier examples of games in each of these genres, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make).

Also, you may want to read up on what happened with Capcom USA's Fighter's History case. Hint: They lost.

You may want to re read my post again, since I never mentioned anything about future (potential) games. I posted specifically about those who want Sony to pick up Del Toro and Kojima to bring what horror game they hand in mind to life.

After such a obviously bad fallout with Kojima and the cancellation of the game you really think Konami won't be carefully watching the (specific) game, if it was made, to make sure there was no infringement on their IP??

Hint: They will. And your example with puzzle games and FPS was very, very poor.

You may want to re read my post again, since I never mentioned anything about future (potential) games. I posted specifically about those who want Sony to pick up Del Toro and Kojima to bring what horror game they hand in mind to life.

After such a obviously bad fallout with Kojima and the cancellation of the game you really think Konami won't be carefully watching the (specific) game, if it was made, to make sure there was no infringement on their IP??

Hint: They will. And your example with puzzle games and FPS was very, very poor.

I don't know if you lost the thread of the conversation or what, but I was specifically addressing the idea that Konami would sue Sony/Kojima/del Toro if they bring a similar game to PlayStation. Your post stated that they couldn't make a game that had even "the slightest" similarity to Silent Hills. And that's absolutely wrong.

Sure, if it shared assets, specific story elements, characters, voice work, etc. with Silent Hills, they'd be in for a world of hurt. That's illegal. But if Kojima and the gang decided to do "third person survival horror game," and they stayed away from any trademarked and copyrighted material owned by Konami, there'd be literally nothing Konami could do about it. It could be set in a foggy town, star a protagonist searching for his/her family, and even be called "Quiet Mountains," and Konami couldn't do dick, because they don't own exclusive rights to any of those things.

Nothing I said was wrong, yet you continue to fight a pointless battle. And developing an attitude while doing it. Keep that up. It makes your arguments more powerful.

PS - I love how you deemed my argument poor, while simultaneously ignoring the fact that the single example you gave to support your argument (Fighter's History) was shot out of the sky. Funny shit.

(Anxiously waiting to see which phrase you'll pick out from my post to include in your own, in a devastating attack on my argument that'll totally win the day for you. My money is on you ending with "funny shit." Or you'll include a PS. Or you'll say "keep that up." I can't wait to find out!)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If Konami were to sue Sony for infringement if they got Kojima, might as well sue Remedy for Alan Wake. I mean, it's a third person game, it's set in a foggy town, and you are even searching for someone!

Loakum

Banned
Hideo Kojima Adds Fuel to Metal Gear Soild V Head Transplant Conspiracy; Tweets "Gemini" Album

JrKgpWc.png

Oh my god, why the fuck would he do that?.. whyyyy??

Why can't I hold all these coincidences.

Good Lawd. And they call us MGS fans crazy. It's crazy NOT to see what Kojima is doing.

Can we please stop this now? :/ There is no conspiracy. There's a new New Division album, a band that he likes, done.

Edit: I have no idea why this is posted on the IT account only. Maybe I'm wrong. I still say there's no conspiracy!

Believe what you will. The words in all caps are the same words that....you know, nevermind.

I'd be happy enough to see Konami exit the gaming business altogether after MGSV.

They don't seem to have any real talent for it anymore, they've broken most of their major franchises and seem pretty disinterested overall. Having them stick at it, rehashing or polluting the ones they have left does nobody any favours.

Call it and hit the Pachinko hall guys.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Good Lawd. And they call us MGS fans crazy. It's crazy NOT to see what Kojima is doing.

Believe what you will. The words in all caps are the same words that....you know, nevermind.

If this ends up being like that pronunciation YT channel conspiracy (which was essentially an ARG), I'm gonna lose my mind.

It's probably not. Because I'm pretty sure he has put all caps on things like INTERSTELLAR and AVATAR. Unless you mean something with those too.

FranXico

Yes, he is referring to Metal Gear, but Gemini has nothing to do with any crazy head transplant theory.

Gemini means twins. He is referring to the Les Enfants Terribles project. Solid and Liquid are probably going to make an appearance in Phantom Pain.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I dare to say that Kojima will never make proper AAA games again after the parting from Konami.
Barely any big name dev managed to do so without a big publisher behind his back after going independent. The only one I can think of is Kamija.

On a serious note, I doubt that Kojima is going independent. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of big name publishers biting at the chance to snatch him up and give him lots of money for a AAA game. He just needs to find the right one.

Impala26

On a serious note, I doubt that Kojima is going independent. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of big name publishers biting at the chance to snatch him up and give him lots of money for a AAA game. He just needs to find the right one.

Everyone assumes it'd be Sony, but there have been numerous allusions to Kojima longing for a more western audience, including a love of Hollywood. But it certainly sounds like he has somewhat of a distain for the general Japanese audience.

I don't think it would be far-fetched to see him actually end up at Microsoft, to be honest... but who knows?

Impala26

As if most of Sony's studios weren't Western.

Well, yeah :p

Anything's better than a company led by an old-school Japanese man in his 70's who has a vested "priority one" interest in seeing gambling legalized nationwide over there.

Business-wise this cancellation makes sense for Konami. My lingering question is: why go to the trouble of making/promoting PT in the first place if you damn well weren't certain you could put your money where your mouth is?

Silent+Hill+2+shot+25.jpg

It makes me so mad, we probably would've had another masterpiece but Konami is too shit to realize it or let Kojima do anything but Metal Gear.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Everyone assumes it'd be Sony, but there have been numerous allusions to Kojima longing for a more western audience, including a love of Hollywood. But it certainly sounds like he has somewhat of a distain for the general Japanese audience.

I don't think it would be far-fetched to see him actually end up at Microsoft, to be honest... but who knows?

Yeah, but would he want to move out West? Doubtful.

Decker177

Neo Member

Kojima gets picked up by Platinum Games. Confirmed.

Seriously, though. That would be sick and oddly apt with his past relationship with them. Just think, ZoE2 rip off developed by platinum. Eh, Eh!

I hope someone actually in a position to know details will reveal what happened between Kojima and Konami someday.

It probably won't be as dramatic as some are imagining but at least it'll be another little insight into what is a rather big event in the industry.

It's strange.
I'm not even torn up about this and I'm one of the biggest SH fans you'll find on this forum.

I guess I've just gotten so familiar with Konami's poor handling of... well... pretty much everything in the past 10 years that I've slowly grown accustomed to disappointment from them.

Silent Hill, as a series, was a candle that burned twice as bright, but burned out quickly. The series has been dealing with poor upper-management handling since as early as the 3rd game. Even though that game turned out amazing despite the changes requested from up-top (i.e. SH3 was originally not intended to be a direct sequel to SH1), The Room was really the prime example of KCET wanting to simply milk the SH name and start cutting corners to pull any profit they could. Again, the creative minds behind that game still managed to create something unique and special, but the lost potential for that game is still incredibly heartbreaking.

The days of telling guys like Toyama, Imamura, Sato, and Tsuboyama to "Just make your game" were long over.

Then the core of 'Team Silent' was disbanded.
Then Konami knew they could outsource to low-experience foreign developers for a fraction of the cost.
Then no fucks were given and the series whimpered off, despite admirable efforts from CLIMAX and Vatra.

I was never crazy about Kojima being on-board a SH game. I never felt like he had the nuance to do justice to the original games. Sure, he could make it bat-shit crazy and add a complexity that even a paranoid schizophrenic could appreciate, but that quiet, lonely element that made SH so brilliant? I wasn't so sure.

Then again, the man had been hand-cuffed to Metal Gear since 1998. It's hard to really gauge what kind of versatility the man really has.

Regardless, Kojima (and KojiPro) being in the mix all but guaranteed that, at the very least, Silent Hill would get a production that it finally deserved after all of these years. It would be a big deal again. It brought the Silent Hill brand back into the forefront. After P.T., there was the hope that it would at least be scary and disturbing again. The added bonus was former Team Silent members being part of Kojima Productions- and they would be "returning home", so to say. Kojima is friends with Akira Yamaoka, so chances were high he would be back, too.

It always seemed too good to be true... and here we are.

So no, I'm not sad and I'm not screaming "FUCK KONAMI". I've been out of those emotions for years now.
I'm just left with the disappointment of what could have been, but there's absolutely no surprise from me that Konami is doing this.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Out of curiosity,

Do the Japanese typically match the rage emitted from America on shitty gaming news? Everyone saying how social backlash means nothing to them just has me wondering what they face from the more local gaming community.

Not to reinforce stereotypes, I just imagine social media activity over there is significantly more muted and accepting.

Gono

Banned
Out of curiosity,

Do the Japanese typically match the rage emitted from America on shitty gaming news? Everyone saying how social backlash means nothing to them just has me wondering what they face from the more local gaming community.

Not to reinforce stereotypes, I just imagine social media activity over there is significantly more muted and accepting.

I'd like to know how was the japanese reaction/reception of the lastest Konami / Kojima / Silent Hills news.

Is there any gaming board or forum that we could check out to see how are they dealing with it ? or something?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I'd like to know how was the japanese reaction/reception of the lastest Konami / Kojima / Silent Hills news.

Is there any gaming board or forum that we could check out to see how are they dealing with it ? or something?

Maybe too dimwitted to properly function my sarcasm detector, but my question was aimed at the less than bilingual community.

Not that I really expect subtlety or politeness in the brief moments that I do spend in Gaming side.

I will cherish PT more than I thought I would. Still hurts to think about. I really had high hopes, that this one may actually be return to form for the series.

No Love

Banned
Konami is a wonderful example of a dumb company run by greedy, stupid assholes that are short-sightedly and pointedly doing nearly everything possible to run their franchises and revenue into the ground.

It's a shame those stupid assholes will still get paid big bucks while the people actually creating and doing hard work will get shafted and fucked over, along with the customers/fans.

Top Bottom