• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Sources: WB Montreal Cancels Unannounced Suicide Squad Game,Shifts To Batman

dex3108

Warner Bros. Montreal has cancelled their long-rumored Suicide Squad video game, sources tell Kotaku. The studio will now focus mainly on their other big project, a Batman game starring Damian Wayne.

Executives at Warner Bros. decided to axe the Suicide Squad game earlier this month following a long period of turbulence at WB Montreal, according to three people familiar with the studio. The game, which would star DC Comics’ eponymous band of anti-heroes, had been in development for at least two years. Hints of its existence had been floating around for just as long. I’ve heard it was a co-op game—and that it failed to impress Warner Bros. management during greenlight meetings—but not much else.

http://kotaku.com/sources-wb-montreal-cancels-unannounced-suicide-squad-1790256635

// Mod Edit:

Since a lot of people are wondering, here are the rumored details of the Damian Wayne game:

ByteSizeImpressions said:
There is, indeed, a new Batman game in development, and there’s a twist: The story takes place in the not-too-distant future, and the primary protagonist is actually the original Batman’s son. The city will not only be bigger, but will actually show more signs of Gotham’s population than ever before, meaning the ‘city has been evacuated’ plot thread is being left by the wayside (which is smart, because my primary concern with the latter Arkham games is just how empty and lifeless the world feels). The story will also not unfold in the span of a single night (day and night cycles, perhaps?). It’s unknown if the Batmobile will be playable, but it’s said we’ll have access to the Batcycle. As you progress throughout the game, players will have the opportunity to upgrade the Batcave.

https://bytesizeimpressions.com/2016/05/25/new-batman-game-may-be-on-the-horizon/

Next game is the Damian Wayne game.

- has been greenlit last summer
- 10 years in the future (I think our future from 10 years now, not quite Batman Beyond)
- Bruce is old and has a beard
- harness on his leg
- uses a walking stick
- is mentoring Damian Wayne to be the new Batman
- Damian has a Batbike
- lots of great characters and also new ones, lot's or redesigns, like Black Mask being a female
- Dick's in it, has a shaved head
- some other villains are Flamingo, Poison Ivy and White Rabbit(old, looks like a granny)

Game is starting to roll in production, so we might no see it for a while, but I am very excited.

EDIT: These games are not labeled Arkham, so this is probably an alternative continuity!
The BSI source has leaked quite a few villains. Mr. freeze, the Judge, The DeeDee Twins, Katana, a female Black mask. They also said there's an ally type character they aren't quite familiar with, they described them in a way that made me think Cassandra Cain.

Spinky

I'm not exactly dying for a game about either, but I'd much rather have SS over something that's both 1) yet another Batman game and 2) a Batman game with Damian fucking Wayne in it.

jmaine_ph

Ughhhh! I'm getting tired of Batman. Give it a rest. Would've been nice to see what they could've done with the Suicide Sqaud.

Boke1879

I wanted the SS game as well, but with the shake ups at wb Montreal they probably wanted to focus on one IP and on with more brand power

Jeffrey

montreal is the Origins team right?

Let's just hope there is more polish this time. There is still that 1 radio tower that is impossible to access on PC bc you clip through and fall off the map 100% of the time.

Ephemeris

oh nooes

what horrible news. another batman game to play.

bms.gif

Alienous

Maybe they should mesh it into WB Montreal Batman 2's multiplayer mode. Batman vs. Suicide Squad, instead of just having random goons.

Probably for the best, the movie definitely made me lose interest in anything related to suicide squad. I'm curious how the game would work anyways, character switch at any time? Or maybe something similar to FFXV?

bryanee

Wasn't there rumours that the Squad game just wasn't coming together?

Any way Damian is awesome so bring it on. I hope he has a cow.

Surprising; surely WB want to really establish the Suicide Squad/Batman villain outings, so doing that game instead of another Batman would probably be a good strategy. I suppose they're scared of going more than two or three years without a Batman game, and presumably Rocksteady are moving on to something else.

Nirolak had sources on this, right? I wonder if he can shed any light.

18-Volt

Batman is WB's Mario. They put him everywhere. Even new Justice League Dark movie has Batman on the cover. I won't be surprised if he makes an appearance in upcoming Fantastic Beasts films.

I didn't like Arkham games from the beginning, but I was excited to think Rocksteady is doing something new. Fists vs Bullets is not my type of gameplay.

Not entirely surprised.

Considering the optimum window to release the games was during the movie's release period and the fact it's been in development since "City" (right?) basically meant it was overdue for cancellation.

Arkham Knight was my foray into the series and that's easily the worst game I've played this gen. From the controls to the camera angle and the constant use of the batmobile, I can't see anything fun about it. Sure is pretty, though. And some of the Joker moments were well done.

I hope they make big changes to it.

It's amazing how many game franchises that started last gen have become stale. Suicide squad sounded iffy being coop but could work but another batman like game is a no from me. Gameplay hasn't really improved and the story has gotten worse with every sequel so low expectations.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
I think the info we got recently on the Damien Wayne Batman sounds really cool. I just hate that it's Damien not Bruce.

Penguin

Not entirely surprised.

Considering the optimum window to release the games was during the movie's release period and the fact it's been in development since "City" (right?) basically meant it was overdue for cancellation.

I think they had a window to release whenever since the brand is hotter than well ever, but yeah

I'm more disappointed, not because more Batman, but this sounded fun. A Borderlands-esque game in the DC Universe. Enough B-/C-tier villains and powers to pull from.

bryehn

I know someone that worked there and he mentioned a Batman game getting re-purposed. I wonder if this new Batman game is being re-purposed from a Suicide Quad game that was re-purposed from that old Batman game lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ooooh dear, thats a lottttttta money wasted. They were about to show it at The Game Awards too.

I can barely imagine the amount of collective fury at WB over how poorly the cinematic stuff has gone and has now affected projects.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Why Batman again? There are other dc characters/teams that they could use and work on. As someone who is not really familiar with the dc universe aside from the movies, 90's cartoons (Superman, Batman and Green Lantern movie) and some games I only have a general idea of the world, yet they choose Batman again -.-

Top Bottom