• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Sources: WB Montreal Cancels Unannounced Suicide Squad Game,Shifts To Batman

Compbros

Ah, so not a real Superman game. Got it.

How not? One story is Superman of varying power levels going through his iconic moments in comics. Another is going from teen age and discovering his powers until he's of old age and his life/struggles throughout. The first is a tighter focused, mission based game while the second can be an open world game with RPG elements where certain powers don't unlock until you hit a certain age but by the end of the game you can have Superman's powers at ridiculous levels.

Both are competent Superman games.

Edit: Even the third one is akin to the second and that's just from three comic based storylines let alone what they could do on their own. I don't know why people don't want a Superman game without all his powers at max level from the jump but are happy to level up and get more abilities in other games. It's doubly weird coming from a thread for a potential new Arkham game which has always locked battle prowess, gadgets, and more behind missions or leveling up.

Kathian

Banned
They really need to add something new to the gameplay if it's another Batman game. Its lasted the trilogy very well but they need to add something new to keep things fresh.

Alienous

You could have more of an anthology like game where Superman's goes up against all of his powerful rogues throughout the game.

Probably the best approach. Shadow of the Colossus style, the biggest battles in Superman's history.

Otherwise you'd have to depower him to the point where you might as well just make a game about a different hero. He's too powerful to be fighting goons.

Compbros

Probably the best approach. Shadow of the Colossus style, the biggest battles in Superman's history.

Otherwise you'd have to depower him to the point where you might as well just make a game about a different hero. He's too powerful to be fighting goons.

Which could be told through the Emperor Joker story where Joker keeps shifting reality to Supes worst moments. You could even skip Joker and just have it be Mytzlplk and nothing is lost. But there are so many ways to do a Superman game.

Edit: You don't have to Depower him, you have him gradually get his powers. I just posted two storylines about it from comics, than can make something new or use those. Batman never has all his gadgets and fight skills from the start but there's never the same stigma there. In actuality ALL heroes are too powerful to be fighting goons. Batman has bulletproof suits, what's the danger from gun toting goons? Last but not least, Superman is not industructible but super durable. Enough of an electrical shot will hurt him, he's been tortured with the stuff before.

WhiteWolf

Sounds like the right move for a (relatively) up an coming developer to focus solely on one huge game than try and make 2 huge, AAA games with very different core mechanics. The Damian Wayne game sounds great and they can stretch what they do with him in the narrative compared to Bruce at this point in the series (though I would've been down to play as an old, beaten down, brutal Bruce). And while I love Batman Beyond (first 1.5 seasons anyway), I prefer Damian to Terry.

I love Batman, but I'd like for another hero to get the spotlight at least once *cough*Flash*cough*Wonder Woman*cough* in their own game.

Well as long as it a high quality game, I'm in...

So the Damian game sounds like a Batman Beyond game in all but name (and Terry). I still love you, Terry.

Fuck Damien.

Its his time to shine.

tumblr_ly9o6sjeOA1qa7gyjo1_500.gif

Sob.

Alienous

Which could be told through the Emperor Joker story where Joker keeps shifting reality to Supes worst moments. You could even skip Joker and just have it be Mytzlplk and nothing is lost. But there are so many ways to do a Superman game.

Edit: You don't have to Depower him, you have him gradually get his powers. I just posted two storylines about it from comics, than can make something new or use those. Batman never has all his gadgets and fight skills from the start but there's never the same stigma there. In actuality ALL heroes are too powerful to be fighting goons. Batman has bulletproof suits, what's the danger from gun toting goons? Last but not least, Superman is not industructible but super durable. Enough of an electrical shot will hurt him, he's been tortured with the stuff before.

If you gradually give him his powers most of the game isn't playing a 'Superman' in the way most people see him. Much like Rocksteady focused on 'Be the Batman' as a design tenet, 'Be Superman' would include things like the invulnerability to most threats. Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash - they all have common threats they avoid, including gunfire. Superman has very few - the experience of playing as Superman hinges on not having to defeat a room of thugs. It isn't that you can't make a Superman game like that, but that it wouldn't capture the appeal of the character.

He's better suited to a Telltale game, where the action is secondary to the character interactions, rather than an action game. As far as action games go I think a bombastic, Shadow of the Colossus style medly of fights would be the best bet.

est1992

If you gradually give him his powers most of the game isn't playing a 'Superman' in the way most people see him. Much like Rocksteady focused on 'Be the Batman' as a design tenet, 'Be Superman' would include things like the invulnerability to most threats. Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash - they all have common threats they avoid, including gunfire. Superman has very few - the experience of playing as Superman hinges on not having to defeat a room of thugs. It isn't that you can't make a Superman game like that, but that it wouldn't capture the appeal of the character.

He's better suited to a Telltale game, where the action is secondary to the character interactions, rather than an action game. As far as action games go I think a bombastic, Shadow of the Colossus style medly of fights would be the best bet.
I concur. Trying to depower Superman and gradually give him his powers back throughout the game isn't really being Superman. Just give him obstacles that challenge those power sets and get more and more challenging and intense as the game goes on.

Vic_Viper

Sad but I saw this coming after we didnt get an announcement or trailer at this years VGAs or PSX. Hopefully Batman 666 will be better for it! Was the rumored Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor part of the Suicide Squad game or Batman? Really hope its in Batman because that sounds like a great addition to the gameplay.

Now on to the real question, What is Rocksteady working on!?!

Alienous

Sad but I saw this coming after we didnt get an announcement or trailer at this years VGAs or PSX. Hopefully Batman 666 will be better for it! Was the rumored Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor part of the Suicide Squad game or Batman? Really hope its in Batman because that sounds like a great addition to the gameplay.

Now on to the real question, What is Rocksteady working on!?!

The Nemesis rumour was for Batman, as I recall.

Compbros

He's better suited to a Telltale game, where the action is secondary to the character interactions, rather than an action game. As far as action games go I think a bombastic, Shadow of the Colossus style medly of fights would be the way to go.

Absolutely not but people need to change their perception of Superman. His powers are almost ancillary to the man. Supes titles are very character driven moreso than grandiose battles and abilities. Give him speed, strength, durability, and jumping/floating to start with all at lower levels. What you're missing is heat vision, x-ray vision, full flight, and freeze breath. I think people can handle that in a game that's said to be the "beginning of Superman" that, by the end, is just full on ridiculous powers. If people can go through 10 seasons of Smallville without flight they can go through a couple hours. "Be Batman....eventually" doesn't look as good, you don't even start with the Batclaw in Asylum. You will "Be Superman" eventually as people see it once you progress.

Wonder Woman has ridiculous reflexes and enhanced durability, she can block machine gun fire with her bracelets. Batman has bulletproof armor that is cutting edge so regular gun fire should be of little consequence to him. Flash is SO much faster than Superman and he's "faster than a speeding bullet" that bullets shouldn't concern him either. Wolverine can heal from gun fire easily but he could still be killed in X-men Origins the game by them. Superman is hurt by a great many things including but not limited to: any force stronger than his durability, wonder woman has hurt him with a punch before and so has Batman WITHOUT Kryptonite/Red Sun/Magic as well as being hurt by common things like electricity, Livewire has hurt him before; red sun energy, magic, kryptonite, The "regular goons" could be an alien threat that hits harder than his durability. People seem stuck in the realm of "he'd be saving metropolis from bank robbers and how do you make that fun when you're Superman?" when his threats could easily be other worldly.

Doomedfool

Do people even like Damian?

Lots of people, sadly. I can't remember ever being happy to see a hero die in a comic, but I wasn't sad to see him go :p Course, it is comics and whatnot, so that didn't stick.

Admittedly, I haven't seen anything about him recently, so maybe he has is more tolerable now.

More on topic. A suicide squad game could have been awesome, but I am guessing things weren't going well with it for them to drop it. I am always happy for another Arkham-style game, so I am willing to give the Batman game a shot.

It's their corporate web page. The studio is in havoc from the sounds of it so someone presumably forgot to update something and keep the site up.

So, what's going on there exactly? I read that the studio heads were removed - is that because Suicide Squad was a disaster then?

I had a feeling the suicide squad game would be canned. We've heard it's existed for years (since... 2013?) without an official announcement which is a HUGE red flag.

Was it? We've known about a lot of games a long time before they were shown - Horizon: ZD and Mass Effect Andromeda to name a couple.

I keep reading Damon Wayans if that answered your question

Damien Wayne to star in the next Wayans spoof movie?

That's unfortunate. I'd say more coop games are never a bad thing regardless of quality, but Homefront Revolution exists. I'll trust their judgement.

We do need more coop games next year though. Quality ones, preferably.

Top Bottom