• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Sources: WB Montreal Cancels Unannounced Suicide Squad Game,Shifts To Batman

Seriously
- Batman game
- co-op
- Batgirl, Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, Huntress and Batwoman playable
- map is Arkham Origins + Arkham Knight
- regular batmobile, motorcycles and the batboat

-Birds of Prey DLC story(adds Black Canary and Katana)

I'd eat that shit up in an instant.

same.

The Arkham series achieved a comprehensive "play as Batman" experience, and now I want the vigilante team-up game since the Bat-family plays such a large part in the mythos.

So much potential.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Abandon the "Arkham" branding too pls

"Batman" is enough for brand recognition.

This is all we know of it:

There is, indeed, a new Batman game in development, and there’s a twist: The story takes place in the not-too-distant future, and the primary protagonist is actually the original Batman’s son. The city will not only be bigger, but will actually show more signs of Gotham’s population than ever before, meaning the ‘city has been evacuated’ plot thread is being left by the wayside (which is smart, because my primary concern with the latter Arkham games is just how empty and lifeless the world feels). The story will also not unfold in the span of a single night (day and night cycles, perhaps?). It’s unknown if the Batmobile will be playable, but it’s said we’ll have access to the Batcycle. As you progress throughout the game, players will have the opportunity to upgrade the Batcave.

https://bytesizeimpressions.com/2016/05/25/new-batman-game-may-be-on-the-horizon/

Next game is the Damian Wayne game.

- has been greenlit last summer
- 10 years in the future (I think our future from 10 years now, not quite Batman Beyond)
- Bruce is old and has a beard
- harness on his leg
- uses a walking stick
- is mentoring Damian Wayne to be the new Batman
- Damian has a Batbike
- lots of great characters and also new ones, lot's or redesigns, like Black Mask being a female
- Dick's in it, has a shaved head
- some other villains are Flamingo, Poison Ivy and White Rabbit(old, looks like a granny)

Game is starting to roll in production, so we might no see it for a while, but I am very excited.

EDIT: These games are not labeled Arkham, so this is probably an alternative continuity!

---

I think Shadow of [something else] will be announced soon-ish.
I'm hoping it's a good follow-up. Shadow of Mordor struck me as a game that did quite well because of a mix of some unique ideas and the time window in which it came out, but would have to really deliver with a sequel to keep the good times going.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It'd be cool if they could at least repurpose the assets from the SS game to the Batman one.

Looking forward to another Batman game by Montreal, in any case. Arkham Knight was a big disappointment, Origins' boss fights and story were way better.

GOTHAM. CITY. IMPOSTERS. 2.
I wish they'd just put the first on current gen consoles as a F2P game or something. Super underrated, loved the mobility options in that game.

same.

The Arkham series achieved a comprehensive "play as Batman" experience, and now I want the vigilante team-up game since the Bat-family plays such a large part in the mythos.

So much potential.

We should totally have a villain game, and in it the feared psychotic vigilante Batman is the enemy. Show it from the other side of the coin where this rich arsehole runs around beating people up and putting them in comas. Maybe he shows up around the city in randomised mini boss fights, and if you lose he snaps your neck.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do the mainstream audience WB wants to reach with these games even know Damian Wayne exists?

I'm assuming the pitch is just going to be that this is about a new Batman learning the ropes, similar to how Origins was pitched, but set in the future instead so he can have all sorts of new gadgets/villains/etc that separate it from the Arkham series.

My dreams of defeating a dancing enchantress goes down in flames

Enchantress+Dance+Twerk

Thanks warmer bros for yet another batman game I guess .

Cardon

Never sounded great tbh.

6KlQTVS.png

Doesn't look too bad to me. Seems to be somewhat following the standard art formula established by Rocksteady. Stylized, yet with a dose of realism playing up certain features.

Anyways, thanks for sharing the art. Got anything else you can show without getting yourself or your source in trouble?

The game was a Borderlands style title. You'd actually probably have her as one of the player character options instead.

Im genuinely annoyed that we didn't get to see it , despite the movie being shit , with that multitude of characters you could have done some excellent things you can't do in movies.

Instead we will just get another openworld batman game.

Finally we could have been playing as slipknot and making cool ziplines....but nope ....

anigif_optimized-14004-1436821571-22.gif

I'm assuming the pitch is just going to be that this is about a new Batman learning the ropes, similar to how Origins was pitched, but set in the future instead so he can have all sorts of new gadgets/villains/etc that separate it from the Arkham series.

I mean all you really need for the pitch is "Batman's son with Talia, trained by the League of Assassins, learns to be new Batman". New people don't need any more explanation than that, and Talia was heavily featured in the Arkham games.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Because Batman and Spiderman are bigger than the majority of Marvel and DC combined.
Batman is also a better fit for a video game than Superman and Flash.
i'd play a God of War clone with Wonder Woman in a heartbeat though.

Marvel didn't milk Spider-Man to that extend though.

Busty

Banned
While it was a success the negative critical reaction to the Suicide Squad film has clearly spooked WB a little so maybe they didn't want to release a game that they weren't 100% confident in given that a shitty game could potentially hurt the brand.

That's a shame. I would have checked out a SS game by them. Not really interested in another Batman game by them after Origins. Good story but my God the gameplay suffered tremendously.

Spider-man? Definitely. Batman? Not so much.

Spider-man blows away his number two competitor on his brand while Batman isn't even double Superman's output despite having many more mainstream opportunities than Big Blue. Looking at the same chart, Batman is "by far DC's most licensed character". Batman is a "chicken or egg" scenario: does DC keep putting out mostly Batman because he's really popular or is Batman really popular because DC puts out mostly Batman?

Seeing as this is three years old and the movie landscape has changed the recognisability of these superheroes quite a bit in the last few years, I'd be interested to see updated figures. Wouldn't be surprised if The Avengers are as big as Batman now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Im genuinely annoyed that we didn't get to see it , despite the movie being shit , with that multitude of characters you could have done some excellent things you can't do in movies.

Finally we could have been playing as slipknot and making cool ziplines....but nope ....

It's actually a really successful genre too.

The Borderlands franchise is over 26 million copies with Borderlands 2 over 12.5 million at last count (and probably a lot higher now if we're bundling in things like the Handsome Collection).

Diablo 3 was over 30 million copies between the base game and the expansion pack.

The Division had over 10 million players and most of those seem to equate to sales. It was also the biggest new IP launch of all time.

Destiny was at "nearly 30 million players" as of the Spring (Rise of Iron and the collection came out later). It's not clear exactly how this translates to sales, but it's been a big seller in general and was the biggest new IP launch of all time before The Division came out.

Warner had their own take on the genre coming out and now it's canned. I assume it must have been pretty bad if they felt it couldn't compete in a genre where very troubled games move double digit millions of copies and are among the best selling games in the industry.

I hope they have a traditional costume for Damian Wayne, doesn't he wear like a mix of cape and trenchcoat as Batman in the comics? I don't like that look.

same.

So much potential.

Yup,
Sad thing was that those characters where a lot of fun to use in the challenge maps but Rocksteady never did anything with that.
I think I enjoyed playing as Catwoman even more than Batman in City.

I hope they go that direction someday.
I could even forget co-op if its too much trouble, just make the Batfamily part of the story and let people pick who to play as.

D1AMONDDOGS

Neo Member
A Dick + Damien co-op game would be the perfect idea. Loved Grant Morrison's run with them as Batma & Robin. A Damien Batman game would still be great though. Loved Issue #666. Standalone series was hot garbage though.

Spider-man? Definitely. Batman? Not so much.

Spider-man blows away his number two competitor on his brand while Batman isn't even double Superman's output despite having many more mainstream opportunities than Big Blue. Looking at the same chart, Batman is "by far DC's most licensed character". Batman is a "chicken or egg" scenario: does DC keep putting out mostly Batman because he's really popular or is Batman really popular because DC puts out mostly Batman?

I'd be curious to see a 2016 version of that graph. Characters like Iron-man and Captain America have been successfully injected into the mainstream conscious through the MCU over the last few years.

shira

anigif_optimized-14004-1436821571-22.gif

No rope guy, I'm sad

When I first played Arkham Knight I couldn't get into it. It was too much Batman in 5 years and decided to move on and come back later. A year later I decided to pick back up on where I left it. It is definitely the complete Batman experience except maybe you don't drive a batwing. Had a blast and finished the main story this weekend. However, I don't know what is left for that franchise and I feel WB montreal still doesn't get the chance to shine and deliver something that will be totally fresh. So too me this is really bad news.

Compbros

Seeing as this is three years old and the movie landscape has changed the recognisability of these superheroes quite a bit in the last few years, I'd be interested to see updated figures. Wouldn't be surprised if The Avengers are as big as Batman now.

I'm certain the core Avengers has surpassed Batman. Iron alone may have have considering how much more merch Marvel ships than DC then you factor in Cap and things like those talking Hulk hands that I used to see commercials for a lot.

Marvel didn't milk Spider-Man to that extend though.

Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Arkham Origins
Arkham Knight
Untitled Batman game
TellTale Batman
(3 Lego Batman games but those don't really count)

Web of Shadows
Shattered Dimensions
Edge of Time
Amazing Spiderman
Amazing spiderman 2
Spiderman PS4

Can only find online numbers which Batman dominated from Jan 2015 to mid 2016.

Edit: And U.S. only.

Thanks. I'm actually surprised that Iron Man isn't higher. But the MCU has definitely bolstered Cap America. Speaking anecdotally, I didn't give a flying fig about him prior to the movies, but he's become one of my favorite characters.

Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Arkham Origins
Arkham Knight
Untitled Batman game
TellTale Batman
(3 Lego Batman games but those don't really count)

Web of Shadows
Shattered Dimensions
Edge of Time
Amazing Spiderman
Amazing spiderman 2
Spiderman PS4
To be fair, that's Activision milking Spider-Man when they still had plenty of other Marvel licenses.

Khezu

Arkham Asylum was enough Batman to last me like 20 years.
I was burnt out on City like 3 hours in and will probably never play another one of those games.

Maybe Assassins Creed helped fatigue me since it has similar garbage combat.

I don't care about the SS characters, but I would have liked to see something with different gameplay.

antibolo

Banned
Guses I'll never get to drive that Purple Lamborghini, Purple Lamborghini lurkin'..

You get that money Hawkeye!

I'm genuinely surprised that the top 3 aren't MCU characters. You'd think Disney would dominate at merchandising.

EDIT: well ok I guess Spiderman is MCU now

jmizzal

Another Batman game pass

At least give us a Justice League game with game play similar to the Arkham games, each character with unique move sets and missions smh

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I should replay Arkham Origins for some festive Batman fun. I have a lot of time for those Arkham games, although I haven't played Knight.

Top Bottom