• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Sources: WB Montreal Cancels Unannounced Suicide Squad Game,Shifts To Batman

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm getting the impression that Warner Bros isn't going to manage the industry's digital service game shift very well.

antibolo

Banned
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I DONT WANT MORE STUPID BATMAN!!!

image.php

Ephemeris

I just need a flashback sequence when you're playing as Robin alongside Dick Grayson's Batman... for about an hour. Make it happen + Nemesis system.

There was going to be another Batman game regardless. They've just cancelled a Suicide Squad game in order to refocus on Batman.

yeah but I had the impression that SS would come first. Now, no wait.

Johndoey

Banned
Why Batman again? There are other dc characters/teams that they could use and work on. As someone who is not really familiar with the dc universe aside from the movies, 90's cartoons (Superman, Batman and Green Lantern movie) and some games I only have a general idea of the world, yet they choose Batman again -.-
Batman is really popular though and they have an established formula for making these games.

Alienous

I don't know why they wouldn't have a Battle for the Cowl game feat. Damian before making him the lead character.

Dick deserves his time in the spotlight.

Some Nobody

Warner Bros and Batman is a vicious fucking cycle. They only do Batman, so people only know Batman, so they only demand more Batman, so they only do Batman...

Kouichi

Aw damn this is really disappointing. I'm a huge fan of Suicide Squad, so this was one of my most anticipated titles.

It would sting a little less if it wasn't for the sake of ANOTHER Batman game. Come on DC, you have so many awesome characters to make games out of!

DKHF

That's disappointing. Fatigued on Batman games (especially after being disappointed by Arkham Knight) and wanted to see what a Suicide Squad game would be like.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You'll get Damian Wayne and you will like it.

Not that that's a bad thing, Damian's cool, but enough with the Batfam-focused games already, WB.

I suspect they feel they didn't have a choice in this case, since Arkham Origins is the only major title the studio has ever managed to ship.

Given Warner felt they were incompetent at making a Suicide Squad game, they presumably didn't trust them to do anything else right either.

So the game was as shit as the movie eh? It's like poetry. I wonder if the game had that awful Katana exposition as well.

But man do I hate Damian. Show my boy Grayson some love😖

yeah but I had the impression that SS would come first. Now, no wait.

Good for you then, but I think most of us would rather have something different before the fifth Batman game in 8/9 years. WB has a huge gallery of heroes and villains to use, and their default response is always Batman.

I think a Damian Wayne Batman could be a VERY different game, one where you are uncomfortable with how far he is willing to go to match and crush his villains in an insane, dark arms race and the Batman only remembers who he is fighting against and not who he is fighting for. That poverty breeds crime and any kind of social responsibility doesn't matter to this desperate Batman, he is basically Judge Dredd + The Punisher but on steroids and disturbing arsenal of weapons - even lethal ones.

Not saying that it's gonna be that, but it COULD be that. It could mix things up the same way the new God of War seems to try.

Would rather have a Suicide Squad game to shake things up, but I assume it didn't look very hot if they scrapped it after two years.

I think the Damian Wayne approach to Batman is something that would get me more interested than usual in a new Batman game, but I think they should have gone for Batman Beyond instead. That would have been a more interesting shake up with a lot more potential.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Decades worth of characters to draw from, a currently running cinematic universe with multiple heroes you're trying to sell to the public, and multiple DC superhero TV shows on the air every week, and yet everything still has to be about Batman.

Why Batman again? There are other dc characters/teams that they could use and work on. As someone who is not really familiar with the dc universe aside from the movies, 90's cartoons (Superman, Batman and Green Lantern movie) and some games I only have a general idea of the world, yet they choose Batman again -.-

Because Batman and Spiderman are bigger than the majority of Marvel and DC combined.
Batman is also a better fit for a video game than Superman and Flash.
i'd play a God of War clone with Wonder Woman in a heartbeat though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Warner Brothers is really losing the plot, aren't they?

It's been really rough for them lately.

1.) Suicide Squad canceled along with the studio's management getting fired.
2.) Lego Dimensions seems to be about as dead as the rest of the Toys To Life genre.
3.) Mad Max seemed to basically bomb.
4.) Batman: Arkham Knight, while it managed to ship a lot of copies, was getting fire saled for around $15 in the January after it came out. That's usually a sign of it having been overshipped by quite a lot, since sub-$20 price tags are basically break even for publisher after licensing fees and retailer margins. The game's critical and consumer reaction was not nearly as strong as Rocksteady's first two games either.
5.) They released extremely few games in 2016, and it's not clear if they have any non-LEGO games for this year outside of Injustice 2 either.

Netherrealm seems to be the crown jewel at this point, as Mortal Kombat X reviewed and sold very well, and they're managing to ship out products on a regular basis.

Top Bottom