• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Sources: WB Montreal Cancels Unannounced Suicide Squad Game,Shifts To Batman

jelly

I hope we get to see a leaked build of Suicide Squad some day. With so much Dev time on a AAA game you've gotta wonder what the problems were.

I can only guess the variety of abilities and core game play just didn't mix well for a coherent campaign that didn't feel like level and short moment gimmicks. That was a worry I had when it was rumoured to be made.

I think they had a window to release whenever since the brand is hotter than well ever, but yeah

I'm more disappointed, not because more Batman, but this sounded fun. A Borderlands-esque game in the DC Universe. Enough B-/C-tier villains and powers to pull from.
Actually, on second thought, maybe they dodged a bullet by not releasing the game close to the movie. Lord knows if I finished watching "Suicide Squad", the last thing I'd want is to play what I'd assume was the tie-in game for it.

I think it sounded fun as well, but I think the charm of Borderlands comes from its absurd guns: compared to that, Suicide Squad would have had to been more melee focused and how are you going to make a loot'n'shoot type game when the shoot is missing? In addition, what'll make it different from any RPG where you'll get the same sword but one has a higher DPS while another has health drain from enemies? It's a weird system to work around because I'd imagine you'd have to spend so much time animating 6-7 characters with tons of different weapon types, different levels of customization, etc.

MUnited83

For you.
Never sounded great tbh.

6KlQTVS.png
You're right, it sounded amazing.

It's been really rough for them lately.

1.) Suicide Squad canceled along with the studio's management getting fired.
2.) Lego Dimensions seems to be about as dead as the rest of the Toys To Life genre.
3.) Mad Max seemed to basically bomb.
4.) Batman: Arkham Knight, while it managed to ship a lot of copies, was getting fire saled for around $15 in the January after it came out. That's usually a sign of it having been overshipped by quite a lot, since sub-$20 price tags are basically break even for publisher after licensing fees and retailer margins. The game's critical and consumer reaction was not nearly as strong as Rocksteady's first two games either.
5.) They released extremely few games in 2016, and it's not clear if they have any non-LEGO games for this year outside of Injustice 2 either.

Netherrealm seems to be the crown jewel at this point, as Mortal Kombat X reviewed and sold very well, and they're managing to ship out products on a regular basis.

I'm guessing Shadow of Mordor 2 will be out towards the end of 2017 as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm guessing Shadow of Mordor 2 will be out towards the end of 2017 as well.

I think that's the expectations, but it's been over two years since the last one came out, and we haven't heard anything out of them.

Mind, there's still plenty of time to announce a game for the Fall.

Chris1

Seriously?

I was looking forward to SS more than yet another Batman..

I guess if it was shit then it is what it is, but I'm pretty bummed out.

Glass Rebel

dolan_everything_was_batman.jpg

Disappointing but I guess WB Montreal doesn't know how to create something without using Rocksteady's template, regardless of how good Origins was.

Not surprised. That's the allure of Batman, I guess, and people will readily buy a Batman game. Suicidie Squad? Eh...
I can't help but wonder if WB has any plans to diversify their offerings, though. Seems they could use it.

I like Batman but yet another game? Surely there is more IP out there to use even for a smaller downloadable title? Sick of the corporate mantra of constant sequels & spin offs.

Batman: Infinite Knight - you heard it right here

You got to have "Arkham" shoehorned into the title because of marketing.

I hope it is a Batman Beyond game since it is a great world, but also what happened at the end of Knight would kinda hint they need to go in a new direction.

Or maybe they might do a game between Origins and Asylum. Get all those marketable villains in there. Joker will behind it all of course.

Simo

I mean it seemed like the ideal time for this thing would of been to coincide with the movie but with that come and gone, and the reaction despite being a commercial success, what's the point?

3.) Mad Max seemed to basically bomb.

Maybe if they hadn't given the project to a studio that never saw any of the Mad Max movies, ditched Miller's and Barlog's story and designs and then try to Americanized it they might of had something special.

Batman again? With their pipelines in place, it would be great to do a DCTV game with The Flash and Arrow and Supergirl. Those 3 DC TV shows on the air. Just the three of them.

Playsage

If the Damien Wayne game gives them the possibility to go crazy with the setting and mechanics, I welcome it.

There are no info on Rocksteady's new project ad of noe, right?

novabolt

I'm pretty sure that flying mechanics in games have advance enough that we could get a Super Man game. How disappointing of Warner Bros.

icespide

Banned
Sucks for WB Games Montreal that the Suicide Squad movie sucked, since that surely played a part in the shuttering of the game.
the movie was a box office hit though. honestly I don't think the movie played any part here. the game was probably just not coming together

jschreier

I think that's the expectations, but it's been over two years since the last one came out, and we haven't heard anything out of them.

Mind, there's still plenty of time to announce a game for the Fall.
I think Shadow of [something else] will be announced soon-ish.

Abandon the "Arkham" branding too pls

"Batman" is enough for brand recognition.

the movie was a box office hit though. honestly I don't think the movie played any part here. the game was probably just not coming together

Did it have legs or just a big opening? I don't see people wanting to play a SS game after seeing that movie, but I could buy people being excited for it before knowing what it was like.

Compbros

Because Batman and Spiderman are bigger than the majority of Marvel and DC combined.
Batman is also a better fit for a video game than Superman and Flash.
i'd play a God of War clone with Wonder Woman in a heartbeat though.

Spider-man? Definitely. Batman? Not so much.

Spider-man blows away his number two competitor on his brand while Batman isn't even double Superman's output despite having many more mainstream opportunities than Big Blue. Looking at the same chart, Batman is "by far DC's most licensed character". Batman is a "chicken or egg" scenario: does DC keep putting out mostly Batman because he's really popular or is Batman really popular because DC puts out mostly Batman?

Batman: Arkham Son
Calling it now.
I'm actually excited for a batman that's up with merkin fools off instead of running them over with his two ton car with a stun shield around it so they obviously lived.
Plus how ever he controls in this it'll be what deathstroke's controls were gunna be.

icespide

Banned
Abandon the "Arkham" branding too pls

"Batman" is enough for brand recognition.

Did it have legs or just a big opening? I don't see people wanting to play a SS game after seeing that movie, but I could buy people being excited for it before knowing what it was like.
it had legs. only reason it isn't higher than 740million is it wasn't released in china

MUnited83

For you.
I mean it seemed like the ideal time for this thing would of been to coincide with the movie but with that come and gone, and the reaction despite being a commercial success, what's the point?

Maybe if they hadn't given the project to a studio that never saw any of the Mad Max movies, ditched Miller's and Barlog's story and designs and then try to Americanized it they might of had something special.
Mad Max was pretty great. Best wasteland in a game ever coupled with awesome car combat. Everything I wanted from it really.

Seriously
- Batman game
- co-op
- Batgirl, Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, Huntress and Batwoman playable
- map is Arkham Origins + Arkham Knight
- regular batmobile, motorcycles and the batboat

-Birds of Prey DLC story(adds Black Canary and Katana)

I'd eat that shit up in an instant.

Top Bottom