• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Up to 8 account per Switch system; Region set by Account setting at creation.

Looks like they're not going to have a replacement for Miiverse either. :(

While Miiverse will continue to be supported on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, our approach with the Nintendo Switch system is to make greater use of other established, broadly used social platforms. For example, captured gameplay screenshots can be shared on popular social networks, and social features such as voice chat are possible with smart devices through our app.

Social media is apparently their replacement for Miiverse sadly.

Goodbye all the cool Miiverse artwork.

Who knows...maybe they're partnering with Twitter to have a custom interface where you can still draw stuff, it automatically makes it a jpg and posts to Twitter, with an appropriate hashtag for that specific game, so it could even work similarly to Miiverse.

Take the moderation out of Nintendo's hands. :p Let someone else protect the children.

ggx2ac

The only thing I care about as mentioned is if I can have different region accounts on the one system to be able to get Japan exclusive or other region exclusive games that don't have a physical release.

L Thammy

Which means it COULD be possible to have an account go on say, the US eShop for NA games and one account set to Japan to access the Japanese eShop, similar to what can be done on PS4.

If this ends up being the case and they announce Jump Superstars 3, someone needs to call me an ambulance. I'm going to need help getting my erection down.

I had no idea this was a thing. The JPN eShop has taken my US credit card with no issues for years.

it's a problem specifically with US eShop for years. since we in south east asia primarily use NA console, it's a bit tiring to explain this to newcomers. that's why sometimes it's recommended to use Canada eShop since they accept foreign cards to topup wallet (marked up us eshop code was a good business here too)

BahamutPT

I had no idea this was a thing. The JPN eShop has taken my US credit card with no issues for years.

Many services/websites don't allow you to use a credit card issued in a region different from the region where that service is being provided, that's why I'm a bit surprised.

This is really an unwarranted attitude. Nintendo surprises the public with good news constantly. After every E3 there are always a ton of posts like "what the hell Nintendo, where was this game during your Direct?!"

Nintendo didn't announce that the Wii U didn't have friend codes until November 7, 11 days before the Wii U launched.

Say they have shitty messaging and don't give enough details, sure, but handwringing and assuming the worst is foolish.

I'm not assuming the worst, I'm just prepared for it. Nintendo announced an account system, what, 4 years ago now? How has that worked out? It's technically true, but functionally not.

And I'm not talking about messaging, though obviously that's bad. I'm talking about them being incompetent, or having completely different definitions of "functional", etc. than normal humans.

And it's worth noting: if I'm cynical regarding Nintendo, it's due to their history. I've been supporting them enthusiastically for 30 years. That's taught me to take nothing for granted until it's in my hands. Except for the actual games, of course. Their track record there is so good, I happily put down my money day 1 for pretty much anything I buy from them. No review or impressions necessary.

Yeh, for those of us in Countries without a worthwhile eShop in the Americas (either near empty or with ridiculously high prices), we've had to use the Canadian eShop as the US one didn't accept non-US cards. Would be nice if that's no longer a thing.

BTA

I refuse to be hopeful for this until we know for sure. I really just don't want a single region per console; I'd be ok with having to use a JP account to play JP games as long as I can have both accounts on one console.

It doesn't work the way you think it works.

1 Nintendo Account per machine, that is tied to the eshop.
8 users accounts per machine, which allows you to have multiple users for local multi-player.

System is therefore locked to that single Nintendo Account.

Reading comprehension, ftw.

Keyouta

So I can link my NA and Japanese account, and have access to both eShops through the respective account? If I'm reading this right.

1 Nintendo Account per machine.
8 users accounts per machine.

I don't think that's correct, and would actually be worse than how it is on Wii U currently.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

8 users accounts per machine, which allows you to have multiple users for local multi-player.

The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

I dunno, this actually sounds like it's region/account not region/system, then again there is that distinction between 'Nintendo Account' and 'user account'

LordKano

I dunno, this actually sounds like it's region/account not region/system, then again there is that distinction between 'Nintendo Account' and 'user account'

Nintendo Account = user account. That's how it worked on Wii U at least. You need to make one Nintendo Account per user account.

That's not true, it still blocks my French cards, I just checked couple of days ago. US cards are identified with zip code and if your postal code somehow matches a zip code in US, they work.

I guess they fixed it already? since when I tested it last month (when ppl in my local community started talking about it), I used my still functioning uk debit card and it works

edit: if it's fixed already, at least amazon us sells digital eshop codes now so that's better than paying marked up price eshop code reseller

Griss

Considering I have my US account (Wii U) and EU account (3ds) if I could put both accounts on one Switch I would be so damn happy.

Could be very, very good news, this.

Or it could be this.

vareon

it's a problem specifically with US eShop for years. since we in south east asia primarily use NA console, it's a bit tiring to explain this to newcomers. that's why sometimes it's recommended to use Canada eShop since they accept foreign cards to topup wallet (marked up us eshop code was a good business here too)

You're from SEA? I'm in Indonesia and Nintendo doesn't even recognize the goddamn country in their country settings in 3DS.

Haven't tried the non-US cards on US eShop, though. Sounds great if true, even PSN can't do this right now iirc.

I guess they fixed it already? since when I tested it last month (when ppl in my local community started talking about it), I used my still functioning uk debit card and it works

edit: if it's fixed already, at least amazon us sells digital eshop codes now so that's better than paying marked up price eshop code reseller

What did you do for the zip code? UK post codes are a completely different format so there's no way to input it.

You're from SEA? I'm in Indonesia and Nintendo doesn't even recognize the goddamn country in their country settings in 3DS.

Haven't tried the non-US cards on US eShop, though. Sounds great if true, even PSN can't do this right now iirc.
yeah I've heard that Indonesia doesn't even in the country list. but hey at least that's better than someone new picking Malaysia then complaining why there's no stuff on eshop again and again lol
What did you do for the zip code? UK post codes are a completely different format so there's no way to input it.
can't remember exact one I used but it's the usual no-tax state zip code lol. yeah I know this might breaking the law or whatever but i'm not in US :p

yeah I've heard that Indonesia doesn't even in the country list. but hey at least that's better than someone new picking Malaysia then complaining why there's no stuff on eshop again and again lol

can't remember exact one I used but it's the usual no-tax state zip code lol. yeah I know this might breaking the law or whatever but i'm not in US :p

Doesn't seem to be working for me, guess they fixed it.

kvothe232

I really want to get a Japanese Switch (saves me so much money) and if the e-shop is locked to a Nintendo Account then I guess I'll have to create a new one, a Japanese one, if that's at all possible. Australasia sucks anyway.

duckroll

IF MULTI REGION ACCOUNTS THEN NINTENDO DA GAWD!

(Translation: I really hope Nintendo has evolved into the current century and allows me to make multiple accounts in different regions so I can buy Japanese and English games on the eShop!)

rpmurphy

Can you create offline local accounts? My friend who lives outside of the city doesn't have reliable internet access.
The process will probably be something like:
1. Create a user on the Switch system.
2. Link the user to a new or existing MyNintendo account (skippable step if you want to do this later).
3. Access to online and eShop will require user to be linked to a MyNintendo account.

I hope the 8 account set up works like it does on my PS4 which has both a U.S. and Japanese PSN ID and allows for easy purchase and region free play from Sony's Japanese shop (can't use non Japanese credit cards though, have to buy Jpn PSN point codes online but works fine). Just doing stuff like downloading demos for Japanese PS4 games is fun. Anyways, this being Nintendo and the way Switch news has been going on a roller coaster lately I'm not getting my hopes up too high, it would be awful and this would all be totally undercut if the eShop for all eight accounts locks to the region that the first account is set to as speculated.

Great, yet another account system that is going to force me to create a new account to use the local store just because I created my initial account in a different region. And that's assuming I can use games downloaded with one account from other accounts. ARG! It seem only Microsoft does this right...

EDIT: Hm...it seems I can change my country of residence in accounts.nintendo.com. And what Reggie said is

The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

So I guess that would mean I can change regions freely? I got confused by the Thread title, which reads "Region set by Account setting at creation".

ggx2ac

(Translation: I really hope Nintendo has evolved into the current century and allows me to make multiple accounts in different regions so I can buy Japanese and English games on the eShop!)

I'd like it if they could go further and let me get DLC from physical games that are outside my region account without having to make an account for that region.

Region free games is great, but region free DLC is still not a thing.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Yea, literally leaving money on the table if they don't let you get shit from wherever. No more waiting years for Nicalis to get their shit released in Europe if so :D

jwillenn

Theres a LOT of info in there.

Games won't save on the game card anymore (we win this time, Pokémon!), they're looking to add video recording to the share button in a future update, and there is a Mii creator but it's hidden in settings or profile.

I've been kind of down about this not being ready for launch, but hopefully it comes very soon after.

Fisty

Step 1: Read the Nintendo press release

Step 2: Take everything written and interpret it in the worst way possible

Step 3: Cry because you now know how Nintendo is going to handle it

Top Bottom