• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Up to 8 account per Switch system; Region set by Account setting at creation.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yea, literally leaving money on the table if they don't let you get shit from wherever. No more waiting years for Nicalis to get their shit released in Europe if so :D

Now we just have to wait for Nicalis to release anything at all! Still waiting for anything at all on 90's Arcade Racer.

IF MULTI REGION ACCOUNTS THEN NINTENDO DA GAWD!

(Translation: I really hope Nintendo has evolved into the current century and allows me to make multiple accounts in different regions so I can buy Japanese and English games on the eShop!)

If the Nintendo store lets me order the shit I want on Monday then they'll have already beaten the competition that won't even let me buy RE7 Grotesque without a Japanese credit card.

That would definitely be nice. Downloading the latest Japanese niche release at home in the US? Yes, please. Much more convenient than importing.

Nintendo really shouldn't have unveiled this new service in the way they did. Should have just announced a UI/Online features direct without any other details. Why are they making people search for the good news in interviews?

notaskwid

As long as it doesn't block you to one Region...
Vita single account per console (even though you could format it) was the biggest sin of the console for me, so at least this is better.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ahhh, a Mii Maker is there. That's all I wanted to know.

I hope they add some new pieces and colors to it like they did with Wii U/3DS.
They should let you bring your clothes and accessories from Miitomo or else you get a bland colored shirt/dress. :p

XandBosch

That would definitely be nice. Downloading the latest Japanese niche release at home in the US? Yes, please. Much more convenient than importing.

Nintendo really shouldn't have unveiled this new service in the way they did. Should have just announced a UI/Online features direct without any other details. Why are they making people search for the good news in interviews?

It's coming.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So, you can change your region any time you want on the website.

How's that gonna work on the Switch?

Ahhh, a Mii Maker is there. That's all I wanted to know.

I hope they add some new pieces and colors to it like they did with Wii U/3DS.

From the Kotaku article:

Mii characters on the Nintendo Switch system are similar to past iterations, but they have some different options. More facial components and colors for hair and skin have been added, while the following attributes have been removed: creator’s name, favorites, birthday, copying, and “public

jholmes

One thing I thought was neat:

You can send/receive Mii characters through local wireless communication between Nintendo Switch systems, or use an amiibo figure to transfer Mii Characters from Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems.

Presumably one would require one of the elusive Mii amiibos. Maybe they'll produce a cheap card version to make this easier (yeah probably not).

At this point everyone should move to the direction ms went, that is the region is set by the device (and can be changed without a hassle). Which is much better than having the account tied to any region.

I buy physical from EU, but this is nice for digital buyers. I am just glad that I can depend on NoE now when NoA fails to publish a game I want in the form that I want it.

At this point everyone should move to the direction ms went, that is the region is set by the device (and can be changed without a hassle). Which is much better than having the account tied to any region.

Why?

What's wrong with creating 3 accounts:

1 Japanese
1 US
1 Australian/European

Being tied by your individual accounts is way better. More flexible to swap in and out if possible.

Being stuck with the same account on a console would suck ass.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Would this potentially allow gamesharing?

Very much doubtful. I have a feeling accounts will be technically tied to a system. You won't be able to have the same account active on multiple systems. Activating on one will deactivate it on another and disable any software associated with it on that system.

iBlue

Basically its like the ps4 where you need an account for an specific region. Xbox does this wayyy better, you don't need to create accounts or anything like that

Are the accounts portable this time? And will they finally allow simultaneous sign-ins?

Also, while it will never be an issue for me, what possible reason is there for setting an arbitrary 8 account limit?

Pokemaniac

Looks like they're not going to have a replacement for Miiverse either. :(

They better let me get the photos off of there via a flash drive or Google Drive or something. I'm going to be pissed if I have to sign up for a social network just to get screenshots.

iBlue

Why?

What's wrong with creating 3 accounts:

1 Japanese
1 US
1 Australian/European

Being tied by your individual accounts is way better. More flexible to swap in and out if possible.

Being stuck with the same account on a console would suck ass.

I rather have all my games under the same account rather than split between accounts.

Can I Switch accounts via the system or do I have to initiate that through a smart phone app?

bB3Fjlu.jpg

I guess that confirms two things:

1) You can change the user from the system

2) Users can share the game library (no idea about cross-region accounts, but I don't see why not).

AgeEighty

From the Kotaku article:

Mii characters on the Nintendo Switch system are similar to past iterations, but they have some different options. More facial components and colors for hair and skin have been added, while the following attributes have been removed: creator's name, favorites, birthday, copying, and ”public

Yeah, I saw that after posting. The new pieces are very welcome (hopefully we'll finally get white hair). The removal of the creator's name and no-copying option are less welcome, as I used those to make it harder for people to submit Miis I made as their own on various websites. Ah well, it's a more than worthwhile tradeoff.

ggx2ac

I rather have all my games under the same account rather than split between accounts.

Yeah, if that happens I'd have to manage multiple accounts that aren't shared and it also means I can't share Platinum/Gold Coins on mynintendo accounts to get vouchers/discounts easily.

bB3Fjlu.jpg

I guess that confirms two things:

1) You can change the user from the system

2) Users can share the game library (no idea about cross-region accounts, but I don't see why not).

1) There should never have been any doubt as you could do this on Wii U and the Switch is being marketed as a home console first and more likely to be shared by multiple users (unlike Vita which was always intended to be played by a single user since it was a handheld).

2) At least on Wii U, you could share the game library across all accounts, even if one of the accounts on the system is tied to an NNID of a different region. For example, I had an Australian (AU) account and a UK account. I claimed the free Wind Waker HD under my UK account and could play it under my AU account without any issues.

I can't see why any games installed on the system, regardless of the region they were purchased in or by which user, can't be playable by all user accounts. It's how it works on PS3, PS4 and Wii U.

CDX

OMG!

If I can access US/EU/JP eshops all from the same console, and the eshops all accept US credit cards. Bye Bye import fees.

If it works how I hope, even if I have to use gift cards, it'll be amazing.

Kathian

Banned
This sounds good if true but I do worry how this will impact English speaking ports. Hopefully it motivates cross-language support at launch.

StayDead

OMG!

If I can access US/EU/JP eshops all from the same console, and the eshops all accept US credit cards. Bye Bye import fees.

If it works how I hope, even if I have to use gift cards, it'll be amazing.

I can use my UK Debit Card (VISA) on my JP 3DS and Wii U. I'll be doing the same here!

It's OK. The Xbox One still does it best, followed by iOS.

Xbox One: Store region is determined by the region setting selected in settings, not your account. On the web store you don't need to change anything - just sign in and it doesn't matter which region it's in.

iOS: Store region is determined by account, but the account used to access the App Store is independent of your Apple ID to access other services like iCloud and even Game Center. So you can just sign out of the App Store and sign into another account from a different region.

Switch sounds like it's doing things similar to PS4/PS3, which is alright but it means you'll have your digital content spread across different accounts, and you'll have to sign out of all services on one account to access the store of another.

Wonder whether the online service subscription carries over to other accounts on the system like with Xbox One.

Top Bottom