• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Up to 8 account per Switch system; Region set by Account setting at creation.

StayDead

You CAN, but it will unlink your NNID. That was the catch.

Thanfully, I have a second email available for a possible Japan account.

I use my bt internet mail for my Japan account, it works! (I've had a Japanese NNID/Account since Wii U launched)

If region cannot be changed then once again people who actually move countries are fucked. In this age of globalization and relatively free movement it should never be assumed that "one account = one region".

If region cannot be changed then once again people who actually move countries are fucked. In this age of globalization and relatively free movement it should never be assumed that "one account = one region".

Whether or not the region is set immediately after the first account is yet to be confirmed. Let's hope it means you can choose a region per account though.

Yup. On iOS you need proof of billing information having changed by region, Xbox One you just select a region in the settings and the console reboots into the region's dashboard. Or just sign into any region's store from the web.

ggx2ac

It's OK. The Xbox One still does it best, followed by iOS.

Xbox One: Store region is determined by the region setting selected in settings, not your account. On the web store you don't need to change anything - just sign in and it doesn't matter which region it's in.

iOS: Store region is determined by account, but the account used to access the App Store is independent of your Apple ID to access other services like iCloud and even Game Center. So you can just sign out of the App Store and sign into another account from a different region.

Switch sounds like it's doing things similar to PS4/PS3, which is alright but it means you'll have your digital content spread across different accounts, and you'll have to sign out of all services on one account to access the store of another.

Wonder whether the online service subscription carries over to other accounts on the system like with Xbox One.

That's really good because again, I import physical games but it becomes a pain if I have to get DLC using another account and not my original one.

That's what I'd want with regards to Nintendo Switch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Okay this sounds good...US/JPN NNiD/users here we come.

Will be nice to download japanese demos from the eShop.

Mine isn't, and I'm linked to my NNID.

I think it's if you don't link an NNID you still have access to the region setting, but linking a WiiU or 3DS NNID locks you in.

Nintendo certainly has the capability of posting region free content to its web eShops though. Log into a Japanese Nintendo Account (with NNID linked) and go to the European web shop page for Pokemon, you'll find that the store listing shows up as usual. Other games it doesn't due to the region mismatch.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
okay, I read it but I can't believe it/need clarification

I've a japanese and a german my.nintendo account...I can now use BOTH on one system?

Incredible good news. Like, wow. Can't believe it.

Will be a problem when I have my seventh child.
We need an update on the Bowser parenting video. He takes care of seven koopalings and has a sprog of his own. We need to know how to runs his household to overcome this issue. Perhaps make them compete against each other with chores, grades, macaroni-tributes, and general flattery. The worst child of the week does not get to play games the subsequent week.

It's OK. The Xbox One still does it best, followed by iOS.

Xbox One: Store region is determined by the region setting selected in settings, not your account. On the web store you don't need to change anything - just sign in and it doesn't matter which region it's in.

iOS: Store region is determined by account, but the account used to access the App Store is independent of your Apple ID to access other services like iCloud and even Game Center. So you can just sign out of the App Store and sign into another account from a different region.

Switch sounds like it's doing things similar to PS4/PS3, which is alright but it means you'll have your digital content spread across different accounts, and you'll have to sign out of all services on one account to access the store of another.

Wonder whether the online service subscription carries over to other accounts on the system like with Xbox One.

Unlike PSN accounts, you can change the region of your Nintendo account in https://accounts.nintendo.com/.

So, maybe it's more like Xbox.

ika

That's nice! :D I also hope al Switch consoles has all languages for the OS (not different builds for each region). I have an EU account and a Japanese one in a JP Wii U I bought to play Xenoblade X early so It'll be nice to have both in one machine.

Also, I'm sure they have at least two new Directs ready in the next few weeks so we shouldn't be worried about all those "nothing so say" answers...

Lucifon

Having to make a "US Account" or whatever is nice, like on PSN, but less than ideal. Personally I'm more interested in having all my games tied to my account, not having a bunch of accounts lying around with different games on each. The way Xbox handles it is almost perfect, they should all just copy this.

Pandy

How so? Is there a law against this method of getting games cheaper?
Completely missed my point. There's a constant stream of GAF threads about people having account issues on PSN, for a variety of reasons.

There are far, far fewer threads about Xbox Live account problems, even taking into account the smaller number of customers, so I'd be hopeful Nintendo/DeNA are taking their lessons from Microsoft and not Sony, and hopefully coming up with something better than both. I was replying to a post which referenced PSN as a model to follow.

well it seems i'll be buying my digital games in russian ruble <3
Don't get too excited the days of €1=40 rub are long gone (assuming getting everything for a bargain is what you're thinking). I don't think it is €1=80 rub (or it sure shouldn't be) and realistically it should be about €1=60 rub.

Are the accounts portable this time? And will they finally allow simultaneous sign-ins?

Also, while it will never be an issue for me, what possible reason is there for setting an arbitrary 8 account limit?
The 8 user limit is actually less than it was on the Wii U :(

This sounds good if true but I do worry how this will impact English speaking ports. Hopefully it motivates cross-language support at launch.
I expect Nintendo to be the same as recent:
A-tier franchises (smash bros, mario, mario kart, zelda, splatoon): all languages on cart.
B-tier franchises (xenoblade, fire emblem, picross): few languages on cart.

We need an update on the Bowser parenting video. He takes care of seven koopalings and has a sprog of his own. We need to know how to runs his household to overcome this issue. Perhaps make them compete against each other with chores, grades, macaroni-tributes, and general flattery. The worst child of the week does not get to play games the subsequent week.
The koopalings are probably not his children now but have been retconned to niece and nephews.

Besides if they only had one switch system Bowser would have to spend a lot of time managing the app (the timer is console specific).

Nesther

Completely missed my point. There's a constant stream of GAF threads about people having account issues on PSN, for a variety of reasons.

There are far, far fewer threads about Xbox Live account problems, even taking into account the smaller number of customers, so I'd be hopeful Nintendo/DeNA are taking their lessons from Microsoft and not Sony, and hopefully coming up with something better than both. I was replying to a post which referenced PSN as a model to follow.

There has never been a case of somebody getting banned on PSN over account switching to access the stores of different regions.

People complain about PSN due to security reasons.

CrayToes

Hopefully, they end up with a system similar to Xbox. I refuse to get excited until I have the device in my hands with concrete proof.

Unlike PSN accounts, you can change the region of your Nintendo account in https://accounts.nintendo.com/.

So, maybe it's more like Xbox.

Yeah, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, the option is currently greyed out for everyone, theoretically because linked NNIDs are tied to a region.

The region setting on Xbox isn't for the account but for the console. A Microsoft account is region free when it comes to content, but the Xbox One's dashboard loads to match the region you pick. If you do change the region setting the console reboots because it effectively becomes a console for that region.

Likewise, you can use your account to access any store you want on the web - one month Kalimba was free on the German store and Max was free on the Japanese Store. I managed to grab both by logging in normally, no change required.

Blues1990

It makes me feel a bit better that the Mii's are returning, as well as the Mii Maker app is in the system's settings. I love my dumb Yoshi costume that I use for Mario Kart 8, so it's cool to see those little guys are sticking around.

Do we know if games will be linked to your account this time arround? Because it certainly sounds this way.
They have been linked to your account for a while already. Every Wii U game you bought is linked to your Nintendo Network ID and if you linked a Nintendo Account with it also to that now. The same is true for Nintendo 3DS purchases if you linked an NNID to it. The only problem with those two systems was that it wasn't possible to move the NNID to another system without a system transfer or calling the Nintendo support (and even that didn't work in every region/country).

If that will be possible with Switch now, is still not known yet unfortunately.

Akai__

They have been linked to your account for a while already. Every Wii U game you bought is linked to your Nintendo Network ID and if you linked a Nintendo Account with it also to that now. The same is true for Nintendo 3DS purchases if you linked an NNID to it. The only problem with those two systems was that it wasn't possible to move the NNID to another system without a system transfer or calling the Nintendo support (and even that didn't work in every region/country).

If that will be possible with Switch now, is still not known yet unfortunately.

Did not know that. Thanks for answering.

chadi

Kotaku: Up to 8 account per Switch system; Region set by Account setting at creation
The wording is a bit vague but I hope this means I can finally use both my CA and JP accounts on one system and will be able to access both accounts' respective eShops.

tsab

So how does this work if you have two Switches and want to share games between both accounts/systems?

This is Nintendo, 99.9% probably you won't. You'll either get physical copies to share the games (cannot play them at the same time) or pay them 2 times ;)

Lanrutcon

Yeah, the catch is coming.

Wait for specifics before assuming Nintendo let go of region locking without some kind of compromise.

tsab

A little bit of topic, but from the same kotaku article. Has this been mentioned before?

is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems. Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update

Wii remotes and Gamecube Controllers support for VC maybe?

Istaerion

If it's any consolation, I have a Japanese Nintendo NNID & Account and the My Nintendo site displays everything in English for me despite allowing me to redeem points for Japanese offers. I can also use the English version of Miitomo, Super Mario Run, and soon Fire Emblem Heroes and benefit from them while still gaining Japanese My Nintendo points.

I can also change my region in the account settings of My Nintendo. I haven't confirmed if it'll unlink my NNID, but I don't doubt it. I primarily import my games from Japan when it concerns Nintendo and various other companies that are prone to censorship or long localization delays.

Vinnk

So I pre-ordered a Japanese switch. I live in Japan but prefer to play games in English. I was thinking "Oh, region free! I can save on Shipping". And I know physical carts will have no problems, in fact it seems like I can play the Japanese Zelda cart in English.

But now, a few days later I am wondering if I made the right call. My WiiU and 3DS are all linked to a US account and I am worried that I won't be able to use it on a Japanese system. If in the future VC games transfer over or at least being able to buy them again for "upgrade prices" rather than full price.

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

This quote leads me to believe I will be ok. And I do have the tendency to be paranoid about these things... But am I missing something?

Top Bottom