• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Vita has the most games releasing in Japan through March

Shinriji

What new scenarios? The official website even says 『フォトカノ Kiss』と同じゲーム内容を
リニューアルパッケージしたものです。 It even says that as such the save data and DLC work for both.

I read somewhere that it will include previously unreleased scenarios. Let me check if I can find a link. But, of couse, they could be sold as DLC for PKK owners.

ironmang

Huh. What about the Sony handhelds makes them VN machines? It's kind of interesting.

Of those 39 Vita games, 20 are VNs. And since those never ever ever get released over here, it's like they don't exist. :(

No clue. Seems like the genre that benefits the least from the features of the Vita.

Feels like Sony played all their cards with the system already and VNs and ports are about all we're going to see. VNs are my least favorite genre and ports already used up my excitement when they were originally released.

Is the Vita considered a turn around success (in Japan) or what? Also, its fairly alarming to see that the PSP and both Xboxs have better support in Japan than the Wii U.

I'd say.

Last year was really similar. It was dkctf and... Until Mario Kart in May. I honestly have no idea how anyone could justify a Wii U as their primary.

Because many of the games are good to great and have a lot of content and replay value? Or because there are quite a few digital titles in between the big retail releases? Or because the console is backwards compatible? My current situation is that I'm backlogged on my Wii U, and the only game I can recall buying during Q1/Q2 2014 is NES Remix 2 (and that took me a good while to 100%). As far as I can recall, I still haven't finished Wind Waker HD, TW101, Deus Ex HR, Bayonetta 1, Shovel Knight, Stealth Inc 2, Thomas Was Alone, Pushmo World, Duck Tales Remastered, Mighty Switch Force 2, Ninja Gaiden on VC, nor Skyward Sword, Okami or Mario Galaxy that I picked up to play on Wii BC - and I haven't even started on Bayonetta 2, Muramasa TDB, Might Switch Force HD or any of the 6 Mega Man games I bought on a VC sale. Mario Kart 8 online pretty much single-handedly saw to all that. :p

I guess I'm very completionist. The only games I can recall completing are NES Remix 1 and 2, and Super Mario 3D World (except Champion's Road, 'cause fuck that :p), because those were the first games I got for the console. I'm currently working on 100%-ing Pushmo World. I'm thoroughly enjoying the thing as my primary console, because there's actually a lot of content that I want to play on the system. I didn't own a Wii, nor a GameCube - so I've missed out on two generations worth of games that my Wii U now enables me to play (thanks for GC support, homebrewers!). The thing is going to be my primary for a considerable amount of time, at the very least until I've finished all the GameCube/Wii/Wii U titles I'd like to play.

Anyway, not contending the point that people are experiencing droughts. Just the argument that there aren't people who genuinely are happy with the Wii U's offerings as a primary console.

Tohsaka

No clue. Seems like the genre that benefits the least from the features of the Vita.

Feels like Sony played all their cards with the system already and VNs and ports are about all we're going to see. VNs are my least favorite genre and ports already used up my excitement when they were originally released.

If you're going to be doing a lot of reading, the high quality screen of the Vita definitely helps.

I guess Vita has somewhat found its place in the world then.

It did for many just like me and its a great handheld for me even though its not getting AAA games very much anymore, but its library is excellent which is combination of PC, PS4 and Mobile games along some exclusives.

TI82

Banned

Cool man/girl, enjoy it to the fullest. I more meant that I can't imagine how anyone could be a Wii U primary player because if it was me I would go crazy from the games I'm missing out on and the library so far out of touch with my tastes lol.

Wii U provides what Nintendo fans need in its library. It might not justify the users who don't link Nintendo games.
I like some. I love some. But lately its just been... Horrible. Smash was the only Nintendo game I enjoyed this year. And I played them all. *shrug*

Edit: also loved pokemon

Last year was really similar. It was dkctf and... Until Mario Kart in May. I honestly have no idea how anyone could justify a Wii U as their primary.

Wii U provides what Nintendo fans need in its library. It might not justify the users who don't link Nintendo games.

Cool man/girl, enjoy it to the fullest. I more meant that I can't imagine how anyone could be a Wii U primary player because if it was me I would go crazy from the games I'm missing out on and the library so far out of touch with my tastes lol.

Then use your imagination a little harder :p.

ironmang

Well, I just bought my WiiU in November so there are a decent amount of games to play through. Had I bought it at launch though I have no doubt it'd be collecting dust right now.

Even if you like Nintendo games, if this is your primary system and you have some free time you could easily plow through every game of interest in the library. Really could use more selection.

Occam

Vita is the best portable console ever, and several if my favorite games last year were on Vita (Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Rogue Legacy, Steamworld Dig).

It's a good thing is that selling the hardware is profitable and attach rate is fantastic, so even if it's a niche device, there is no reason for Sony to stop selling Vita.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I imagine the vast majority of these will be anime/JRPG/visual novel dreck.

Sigh. Curse you Vita demographic!

I'll just hold out for Axiom Verge and Super Time Force.

Vitacat

I own both Vita and 3DS.

Looking at those lists just reminds me how many nice games we don't get in the West. Kenka Banchou 6 for 3DS... *sigh*

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
All 39 of those games combined will sell less than Yokai Watch....

I think the entire 2015 Vita library will sell less than Yokai Watch...

But lets admit it. Its already way past the point of revival since years ago.

Let it go.

Opiate

Huh. What about the Sony handhelds makes them VN machines? It's kind of interesting.

In the same way that Nintendo has gained a reputation as "the systems for kids," Sony's systems have gained a reputation as "the systems for otaku nerds."

This isn't so bad for Sony, as there are a lot of studios comprised mostly of developers who are otaku nerds themselves and who want to make the sorts of games they also enjoy. There are fewer developers who specifically want to make games for children, and there certainly aren't many children making games.

In the same way that Nintendo has gained a reputation as "the systems for kids," Sony's systems have gained a reputation as "the systems for otaku nerds."

This isn't so bad for Sony, as there are a lot of studios comprised mostly of developers who are otaku nerds themselves and who want to make the sorts of games they also enjoy. There are fewer developers who specifically want to make games for children, and there certainly aren't many children making games.

Also, this category of gamers spend a lot of money in DLC, merchandising, Limited Edition, hence they are really valuable for software houses. That's why some niche developers could survive with 10-20k units sold, since they sell collector's edition with incredibly high margins.

But thos otaku nerds have serious money to support this amount of releases in 3 months

mollipen

I've been really considering starting up learning Japanese this year.

I'm the in prime demo for a majority of these games, and I want tons more.

I would never, ever suggest trying to learn Japanese for the benefit of gaming. The amount of time it will take you to actually play (and be able to read) games without fumbling for a dictionary constantly is long enough that it's likely you'd give up on the language long before that point.

If you want to learn Japanese, learn it to be able to talk to people, visit the country properly, things like that, and then have videogames be a side effect of that study.

VLiberty

I imagine the vast majority of these will be anime/JRPG/visual novel dreck.

Sigh. Curse you Vita demographic!

I'll just hold out for Axiom Verge and Super Time Force.

Well, what would you expect from Japan?

The important thing is that this system is getting good, non-japan oriented games(like the ones you mentioned). My 2015 Vita list is crazy and I'm not interested in almost any of the japanese games

jariw

Is really a game like Terraria retail games? If not, the Wii U list should include indies as well. And if the Wii U eShop policy is the same in Japan as in NoE+NoA territories, release dates for eShop indies will never be known until a few days prior to release.

Ratrat

Is really a game like Terraria retail games? If not, the Wii U list should include indies as well. And if the Wii U eShop policy is the same in Japan as in NoE+NoA territories, release dates for eShop indies will never be known until a few days prior to release.
it is retail.

Yasumi

Banned
Mostly VNs for the Vita. I wish we could get some of those.
Sorry, too bishounen for the west.
latest

root_rexx.png

tumblr_n3tk0r3EU01rmjk6wo1_500.jpg

Top Bottom