• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: What Went Wrong with Silicon Knights' X-Men Destiny? Also Eternal Darkness 2

StuBurns

Banned
The lesson here is to never break ties with Nintendo. :p
It's deeply depressing that Armature Studio have yet to amount to anything.

Those guys were heavily responsible for Prime, which I consider to be the best game Nintendo ever made, and then nothing.

EDIT: Holy shit, they've updated their website, maybe there is hope.

Ridley327

It's deeply depressing that Armature Studio have yet to amount to anything.

Not quite as depressing as what happened to the first studio that was created from the initial culling at Retro.

the-guy-game-cover820454.jpg
This was done by Top Heavy Studios, which was founded by Retro's original founder, Jeff Spanenberg. It was their first and only game.

M-PG71C

Very insightful read honestly. As much as I would love to have a sequel to ED, if it doesn't have Nintendo's management/direction on it plus the original people who made it, forget it.

Some things are best left in the past.

Averon

Dennis sounds like a guy with a huge ego simmering in arrogance. Him killing SK with his antics doesn't sound all that surprising when you consider that.

Damn. I've been reading some of the rumours going around and was totally convinced Nintendo would be announcing Eternal Darkness 2 for Wii U sooner than later.

I guess it's never happening then. And from the sounds of it, I'm glad it isn't.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Dyack has a degree in Physical Education?

I did not know that.

GlassBox

Banned
Yeah, Silicon Knights should just die. They certainly don't have any of the talent anymore that was there for ED or even MGS:TTS. Heck, even one of their best assets in terms of Music, Steve Henifin, no longer is there.

If all that's left is just Denis, he should find himself a new line of work. I doubt anyone would want to be in business or work for him anymore after all that has happened with Epic and these whistle-blowers. And well, I doubt even a kickstarter would do him any good.

CamHostage

SK always seemed like a fluke company to me anyway. Eternal darkness was good, but Twin snakes was simply a remake, not original. Besides that they have nothing noteworthy to show.

Yeah, and they got into the habit of burning bridges early and often. SK had a fight with Crystal Dynamics over the Legacy of Kain project despite CD investing heavily in the series and Blood Omen itself being a near-disaster that Soul Reaver retroactively redeemed (I think this game would have been entirely forgotten like other early SK works if not for the Blood Omen franchise continuing on successfully.) Even as late as 2008, Dyack wrote off Soul Reaver as a work divorced from its original author, yet that entirely negates the contributions of Amy Henning and other Crystal Dynamics staffers.

I will give the Silicon Knights team some credit, as I think there's some genius deep down in there. Dyack is a smart guy, and ED is flawed (and not as completely original as it's remembered for being) but good. However, connected to genius is often madness, and this company is stunted completely by its koo-koo craziness. In over 20 years of existence, only two publishers have ever worked with the company twice, Nintendo and SSI way back when. (Granted, it's tough to make friends when you've only shipped eight total products, but so many of their partnerships end in a flameout.) It's easy to admire the tortured genius when that spark first bursts out of them, but if one cannot overcome its issues and continues to defy that promise of a masterpiece, you've got to eventually accept that the potential does not overcome the disappointment.

Short version:

"Once Denis was given more freedom, things started to fall apart."

Wow. Great article. I've had bad days, months and weeks at work, but I can't imagine working under those conditions, creatively.

I also find it ironic that SK sued Epic partly for using time to work on Gears rather than engine modifications, when SK was using XMD resources for their own side project. But then again I do find that the people most paranoid about others taking advantage are the very ones who take advantage themselves.

Silicon Knights, Factor 5, Rare, Armature... I got my names crossed, lol. I was talking about Silicon Knights in my last post, obviously.

So many flop companies, and all those guys left Nintendo to try something elsewhere. What kinda Yamauchi curse?

As somebody who owns Too Human, I can say that Dyack's assessment of SK's artists is spot on. Christ it is one bland looking game, and that xmen shitfest they made recently isn't doing anything to change my mind here.

Dennis is crazy IMO. I revisited the podcast he did with EGM and Mark McDonald, after Mark bashed Too human's e3 2006 build. Dennis kept spouting so much bull shit about the Too Human, banning previews, Mark's opinion etc etc and at the end, the game looked like shit and played like shit.

Silicon Knights, Factor 5, Rare, Armature... I got my names crossed, lol. I was talking about Silicon Knights in my last post, obviously.

So many flop companies, and all those guys left Nintendo to try something elsewhere. What kinda Yamauchi curse?

Well, to be fair, Sakurai is doing alright but Im not sure if HAL counts as nintendo

Makonero

Ninjas. They're called ninjas.

Desty

Banned
Unbelievable. Can you imagine working there for years? It would destroy your mental health.
It just goes to show how you really have to have good people at the top or everyone else suffers. What a dick.

Cmagus

As somebody who owns Too Human, I can say that Dyack's assessment of SK's artists is spot on. Christ it is one bland looking game, and that xmen shitfest they made recently isn't doing anything to change my mind here.

I wouldn't dog the artists for that game. Considering Dennis messed with Epic and they had to move everything to a new engine under probably already awful scenarios. You can even see in some areas textures that don't belong slapped on surfaces and all I can think is that they must have had to hit some bogus deadlines. SK has many talented artists some of which were recently there and have since moved onto other companies like Digital Extremes, EA and other big projects from canadian studios.

I have heard things for awhile about these guys through friends who have both worked and have had friends work there and it was always negative (I thought about applying to them several times but what I heard turned me right off). I imagine working under some of those conditions was awful and although many artists push through it as it's their name on the project there has to hit a point where it becomes uninspiring and dreaded work.

It is a shame because SK could have easily been a strong prominent studio in that area but it just seems like Dennis is just out of touch and dragged it all down.This picture always makes me laugh from the Brock University site

denis-dyack.jpg

Woot! Good!

Probably had to prove their worth, which SK has none.
Don't quote me on the details, but the money was basically earmarked for certain conditions, like the "opening a secondary studio/office in association with McMaster University in Hamilton" and the one that required them to keep/hire to a staff of 100 people.

None of which is happening right now, as far as we know.

Holy freaking shit I don't know how I missed the fact that THERE ARE ONLY 5 PEOPLE WORKING THERE RIGHT NOW. Man that destroy's all hope! There is no way they could ever make another game

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dyack's wife is the HR person?

Holy shit.

Cake Boss

Banned
They made one OK fighting game since they have been founded in 1992. I don't get GAF or the media fascination with this mediocre at best developer.

Kevtones

He sounds like the idiot boss I had right out of College. I'd bring him some cost projections or financial whatever and he'd spend 20 minutes complaining about the font and telling me the red title was 'the wrong red'. He wouldn't spend a minute reviewing the content before getting a phone call from his masseus and telling me to 'fix the fucking font!' before excusing me.

The title was yellow fwiw.

He sounds like the idiot boss I had right out of College. I'd bring him some cost projections or financial whatever and he'd spend 20 minutes complaining about the font and telling me the red title was 'the wrong red'. He wouldn't spend a minute reviewing the content before getting a phone call from his masseus and telling me to 'fix the fucking font!' before excusing me.

The title was yellow fwiw.

You shouldn't be doing cost projections in comic sans.

X-men Destiny was so close to being that dream game of a full on comic book rpg, but then they royally fucked it up. It probably killed the whole premise. Now, I'll never get to select canned lines to hit on Wonder/Invisible Woman.

Dont worry, im pretty sure a better super hero game with that RPG premise will come along someday, from DC, Marvel or invented super heroes.
The idea is too good to let it past.

Does this mean we won't get too human 2 and 3? Aww, I want to know how the story ends. You wait nearly a decade for a game and then they don't bother finishing the story. It's advent rising all over again.

Top Bottom