• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEKKI

Happy late Thanksgiving!! I am thankful for good korean music!!!

I will share some with yallz to spread the Thanksgiving cheer!! but first a story...

it was a few months ago, I got sum new indie stuff from a group called W&Whale, their new mini album called "Circusssssssss" or something.

it kinda sucked lol. I was in no rush to check out their other stuff.

fast forward to the present day, I now own the new iphone, and I decided to gave their first album, Hardboiled, a listen, and it's real good!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp1b_vUrY0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQLSV7kiSU

so yah, sucks that their latest album is kinda bad, but then again so was some of Roller Coaster's latest work, and this group definitely reminds me a lot of RC based on their first record.

I definitely gotta check out more of their stuff!!

ramyeon

Happy late Thanksgiving!! I am thankful for good korean music!!!

I will share some with yallz to spread the Thanksgiving cheer!! but first a story...

it was a few months ago, I got sum new indie stuff from a group called W&Whale, their new mini album called "Circusssssssss" or something.

it kinda sucked lol. I was in no rush to check out their other stuff.

fast forward to the present day, I now own the new iphone, and I decided to gave their first album, Hardboiled, a listen, and it's real good!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp1b_vUrY0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQLSV7kiSU

so yah, sucks that their latest album is kinda bad, but then again so was some of Roller Coaster's latest work, and this group definitely reminds me a lot of RC based on their first record.

I definitely gotta check out more of their stuff!!
Yeah I their new album was pretty disappointing considering what they've come out with before.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
IU review

My status at start: Chill

Track 1) Tries hard, but... zzzzzzz...
Track 2) Standard filler track.
Track 3) Korea competes with Nashville for most boring ballads.
Track 4) Another with the Good Day vibe. Not sure if I like this as her signature sound.
Track 5) Going all the way with the nap-time theme for the album? Though this is the best melody so far.
Track 6) Production is off, feels like it's flattening an otherwise nice and lively arrangement.
Track 7) This is delicious, reminds me of early Cardigans.
Track 8) I don't know if this is more fun than some previous songs or if I'm getting into the right mood for the album, but it does seem nice.
Track 9) *yawn*
Track 10) Trying to give it some flavor... still nap time.
Track 11) Gem vibes. Easily the best. 10x better than anything else on here. It sounds like it's from a totally different album. What happened here? I see IU handled something of this. Does that mean she composed it completely and just got some help with production? Man, I hope this is a sign of her future.
Track 12) Nice to hear her working with Corinne because I know what it means to her, and it's pretty good, but it's clearly a CBR song that IU is getting to do. I can't really consider this an IU song.
Track 13) Vocal melody isn't bad, but the accompaniment could be waaay better.

Color me s...leeping. This album is disappointingly boring. I'd just grab track 11 and bail out.

Peru

Disagree with most of that, especially since you complimented some of the worst ones (track 7), and I don't hear anything Cardigans in track 8, plus I like more or less all the other ones (#6 is indeed crap, though) and this is a big step up from Real -- I've just removed three of the middle #s and it's become one of the best k-pop albums of the year.

What some producers do wrong with IU is thinking bland prettiness constitutes a good track. But she does know how to work a wide variety of sounds, from the sweeping Disney sounds of #9 to the indie flavors of the Ra.D one (#10) and the subtle dynamics of the beautiful closer. It's just that "Uncle" that annoys me, how they can misunderstand her strengths so badly to include that.

About #11 though, yes it's all her, composition and lyrics without any co-credit writers. Don't know who produced it yet. She's co-credited on five other tracks, but that's the only one she's done all by herself.

JEKKI

maaaaaaaan speaking of T-Ara I listened to their album since I like that Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye song.

yo it's pretty good. there's a hint of some 'vintage' solid07 days early-2000 style of kpop that's lacking in pretty much all modern idol artists these days.

especially this song!! my favorite song!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCgMNnlcFp0

like for realz, a couple weeks ago I got the new iphone, and I totally put this song on it!!

I seriously listened to it like 4 times today at work!!!

catmincer

maaaaaaaan speaking of T-Ara I listened to their album since I like that Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye song.

yo it's pretty good. there's a hint of some 'vintage' solid07 days early-2000 style of kpop that's lacking in pretty much all modern idol artists these days.

especially this song!! my favorite song!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCgMNnlcFp0

like for realz, a couple weeks ago I got the new iphone, and I totally put this song on it!!

I seriously listened to it like 4 times today at work!!!

Yeah! That song is fantastic. They've been awesome this year.

Salazar

I've been listening to Breaking Heart a whole bunch. Very cool.

Trying to cut down on album purchases, as I'm saving for holidays next year. Glad I managed to pick up good stuff, thanks largely to Kpop-GAF's solid taste.

Fusebox

Banned
I've been listening to Breaking Heart a whole bunch. Very cool.

Trying to cut down on album purchases, as I'm saving for holidays next year. Glad I managed to pick up good stuff, thanks largely to Kpop-GAF's solid taste.

Salazar! Welcome back man!

Salazar

Salazar! Welcome back man!

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
And I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get banned again
Don't get banned again.

catmincer

Been listening to the SNSD Japanese album. Every single song (bar Hoot) is awesome. It's such a solid album and far better than their Korean stuff this year. I'm looking forward to the re-release.

Peru

You're not wrong!

Also AOTY 2012 confirmed:

The Brown Eyed Girls‘ Ga-In has announced that she has signed a solo contract with Loen Entertainment.

Ga-In’s activities with the Brown Eyed Girls will continue as usual under the group’s current agency, Nega Network. Nega Network will still be responsible for everything regarding the group as a whole, while Loen Entertainment manages her solo music and acting endeavors.

On December 21st, Loen Entertainment revealed, “Loen and Nega Networks are collaborative labels bringing together artist management and music distribution. The contract is only regarding Ga-In’s solo albums, and is not a formal transfer.”

Nega Networks also confirmed, “There will be no changes to Ga-In’s activities under the Brown Eyed Girls. Her next solo albums will simply be produced under Loen Entertainment, as per the contract.”

Salazar

I hope LOEN don't continue their dick act with smothering youtube when she promotes.

YG are certainly acting like they've got Tablo out from under Jungle, too.

JEKKI

oh sheeeeyit oh sheeeeeeeeeyiiit~!!! I think I jus found one of the greatest videos ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7odyx-5JEk

super rare performance. u cant even search for that! read the description! it's all in japanese!!! This is what gets uncovered by sitting on my butt for an hour looking for old kpop videos.

anywayz, this group is called K-Pop or K'Pop. lol. For the sake of making searching for them on the internet easier, they have also been dubbed as K-Population.

they were pretty much one of the greatest bands ever... came out in early 2000s bringing that vintage sound!!

they released 2 albums which are overlooked but IMO classic, then they started fighting amongst each other and released an absolutely terrible 3rd before disbanding lol.

on the bright side, they released 3 albums, which is 2 more than most awesome and forgotten korean groups release lol.

some MVs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVBQKWCLLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAMRE-k8hM4

and again to clarify... the name of this group is K-Pop. This thread belongs to them lol

JEKKI

lol no I had no idea they performed, but even so Im not really a big fan so I dont think I woulda gone.

I remember last year Wonder Girls were having a show... I pondered going but I didnt really know their music and figured it'd be best to save my money and not be surrounded by koreans.

(on a tangential note, I spent my new years eve at a Korean church surrounded by Koreans X_X things I do when I like a girl lol)

anywayz, now I have listened to that new Wonder Girls album and am all like "omg Wonder Girls best group EVER!!!!"

I seriously listened to it so many times lol. It's the only idol album to truly impress me with each and every song on it, unlike every other idol group where I like 2 or 3 songs and throw the rest out.

yah I would totally go to their show if they had another one!

I kind of fell of the music radar at the end of 2011 and was I wondering if I've missed anything in the mean time?

I stopped paying attention just before T-ara released 'Cry Cry'.

Kyon

Banned
I kind of fell of the music radar at the end of 2011 and was I wondering if I've missed anything in the mean time?

I stopped paying attention just before T-ara released 'Cry Cry'.
Same for me except I stopped keeping track after Trouble Maker and I only listened to Crazy by Teen Top and I Like it by Chocolat

Salazar

Same for me except I stopped keeping track after Trouble Maker and I only listened to Crazy by Teen Top and I Like it by Chocolat

Big step up. Just as U-KISS took a huge step down. Teen Top are (apart from the name) no longer a joke to me.

And Sohyun is divine in the MV.

Kyon

Banned
Big step up. Just as U-KISS took a huge step down. Teen Top are (apart from the name) no longer a joke to me.

And Sohyun is divine in the MV.
I knew they could do it! Just like Their rivals Inifnite who exploded also. Hope the best. I'm moving so I havent been importing any Kpop albums.

So anyway besides Teen Top and T-ara anything new lately?

DGRE

Banned
Oh K-Pop GAF. I live a building over from the Star Empire building. ZE:A is their biggest act, and I guess they've been on a comeback this year. There are always girls waiting outside all day. It's hilarious.

I also have a friend who is a trainee for Cube. She won a contest a couple years ago and was signed on that way. She name drops Cara and B2ST sometimes. Haha.

Anyway, this is definitely not my thing, but it's interesting to live in Seoul and be surrounded by this stuff.

DGRE

Banned
Just had a look on youtube. That Mazeltov single is kind of hard to listen to. The more recent stuff is better but not breakthrough good.

Yeah I've never been by it bur I'm sure the crowd outside of YG is MUCH bigger.

(I meant to say my friend namedrops G-Na, not Kara. That makes more sense, right?)

So anyway besides Teen Top and T-ara anything new lately?

I prefer No More Perfume to Crazy. I also caught Boyfriend's follow up I'll Be There, produced by Sweetune again.

Early 2012 is looking good for comebacks from what I've gathered on Tumblr. SHINee, Dalmation, MBLAQ, etc.

(I meant to say my friend namedrops G-Na, not Kara. That makes more sense, right?)

Yeah. G.NA and her annoying tones are with Cube.

Sealda

Banned
Holy moly, just had the chance to play 2PMs Hands Up album straight from CD on a Bang Olufsen stereo system. Now, i know what i want to spend my future income on. Damn, the bass on the original Hands Up, is like so damn loud, they must have had crappy iphone earphones and cheap ministereos in mind when mixing. Its almost unlistenable. Actually, the East4A mix of Hands Up, is even it, crazily bassed but sounds soooooooo good. Now i wish, i had one of these stereos at home and every kpop album as physical Cds...g2g, turn it off now, i bet my cousins neighbours are not that happy right now.

What i want to say is that, i thought my in ear, sennheiser CX500 would give me a fair sound picture (i know). Now, i know, how damn different and much better stuff can sound on a real quality stereo.

Dice

Nine Muses - News
Natural for Sweetune to put out at this point. It's somewhere between Figaro and Step, Makes me wonder if it was a one-off they had sitting around. Still good.

MBLAQ - 100% Ver
Run - What? MBLAQ trying to be masculine? This is new, must be feeling that pressure from Beast.
전쟁이야 - By-the-numbers shitty boy band song. Yawn.
낙서 - Okay so far I'm seriously seeing this mini as a ripoff of Beast. This is nothing like the way MBLAQ was before. You could make an argument that they're being more like Rain, but it's just to transparent in view of Fiction and Fact.
아찔한 그녀 - Now this is like Dalmatian but not as good. Come on guys, you had a signature sound.
Hello My Ex - Back to sounding like Beast. Sad.

Rainbow Pixie - Hoi Hoi
Bridge transition is super awkward, and the cliche disco "woot woot" sound is annoying but somewhat easy to ignore. Still... this is unmistakably Rainbow. It has the signature Rainbow sound and drive to it and their vocals are fantastic as always. So as I said in the other thread, I am concluding that it is bad so good. It's at the bottom for them, a guilty pleasure, but it's still Rainbow.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Peru

They're pretty great. Forgot about their album. Hope they do well enough to sustain a career and future stylish videos.

Dice

been bumpin that new B-Free single

Come On
O3eHO.jpg

JEKKI

omg I remember listening to that B-Free mixtape.

got damn that was one of the worst things ever.

like this dood raps in like 70% english with sum of the most remedial nursery rhyme sounding shyt ever that has absolutely no heart to anything that he's saying.

like there's one song where the hook is just him talking about how he has nothing better to do and Im listening like yeay no shyt that's why you're making this freakin awful mixtape.

and he has the nerve to call the mixtape something like "How to make a mixtape" as if his terrible excuse for music is supposed to set an example of how good music is supposed to sound like,

and even in the opening track when he's rambling at the end of the song he's like "if you don't like this then fuck you" or sum shyt and I'm jus sitting there acknowledging it like yes, fuck me, fuck me deeply coz your freakin album is terrible and lazy and you're an awful artist!!

seriously. :barf

atomsk

Party Pooper
Well now I feel bad for recommending it. I listen to this stuff for the production as I don't understand the language.

I find that most of the stuff I like comes from the same few producers. Loptomist, The Quiett, Double Dragon, Dok2, Vida Loca, DJ Jhig. probably forgetting a few, but you get the idea

Like everything else it's hit or miss I guess.

For example, I really liked Dok2/Double K - Flow 2 Flow, some of my favorite beats from last year on there... but then Dok2 - Hustle Real Hard was awwwwwwful.

Peru

Dok2 is hit or miss, perhaps, but I like him yeah.

I find that some of the more talented Korean hip hoppers lose their charm when in the studio. Like there are some really charming freestyle dudes who become boring on record. Huckleberry P http://youtu.be/zP4PwSIWDic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom