• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raelson

Epik High always used pop singles to gain popularity, while all their amazing tracks were hidden on the albums.
Tablo's album seem to be more on the poppy side though, with The Tide and Trace as small easter eggs of greatness.
Best track is the one featuring Tukutz, no surprise there. : )

atomsk

Party Pooper
suzu said:
Korea's best female rapper~ T / Tasha / Yoon Mirae's new song "Get It In".

Man, where the fuuuuuuck is Sunzoo

Wish they would at least open the merch store

JEKKI said:
regardless I listened to it and it's real good!!! especially after all my disdain for k-rap, an artist finally came and did the genre correct!!!

Did you check that last B-Free mixtape? I really enjoyed that

cj_iwakura said:
I approve of that list. The Movement Crew are amazing. Could use some Novasonic though.

Still sad that we never got that Micki Eyes solo album =(

edit:

Jungle Entertainment will finally make its entrance into the United States with its first ever family concert. CJ E&M, along with several other top agencies, have created M-Live in part of the K-Pop global concert expansion.

On December 2nd, "M Live by CJ: The Jungle Concert in L.A" will be the first Korean hip-hop concert held in the United States. The concert will feature Drunken Tiger (Tiger JK), Yoon Mirae (Tasha), Leessang, Bizzy, and Jung In at the Wiltern.

With K-Pop expanding globally, Korean hip-hop will begin to find footing in the middle of the global Hallyu Wave.

The Wiltern, where Jungle Entertainment's concert will take place, hold close to 3,000 seats and has seen performances held by Jay-Z&Eminem, Adele, Smashing Pumpkins, Tears for Fears, and other international artists.

POWERHOUSE has recently announced that they will begin selling the tickets for the family hip-hop concert on November 7th at 10AM PST. Ticket prices are as follows: $120, $100, $80, and $50.

maaaaaaan, I'm stuck on the east coast =(

if anyone goes to this I'll paypal you money to buy me more Drunken hats

Peru

Don't know why that wouldn't be a good thing. Song's pretty catchy but extremely familiar. Misleading teasers taken to new lows.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The motherfucking Wonder Girls have dropped their album. I will be back with impressions.

Dice

Track 1) They wanted to hit the American club sound and they did, spot on. Unfortunately, that sound is pretty generic, hence me being more into kpop. The song isn't bad, just not terribly original. I can have fun with it, just as I do with Rihanna. Yubin is straight sex as usual. Her raps TURN ME ON.

Track 2) If Billy Joel made kpop this would be it. That's not bad. It sounds like a new thing, and that is a good thing.

Track 3) Kinda fun, though the verses seem a bit sloppy. I feel like somehow JYP personally salvaged this from something that wasn't as good. I am not a girl.

Track 4) Not into it at all. Sounds like when country stars try to rock out. That said, I can only assume they are trying to reach out to that demographic, which is an interesting move. I do want to nananana with Yubin.

Track 5) YESSSSSSS~ Funk is ALWAYS WELCOME! Two of the sounds used have somewhat been run into the ground by Kylie Minogue, but it's okay within the overall composition. Yubin makes is REEEAALL sexy in this one.

Track 6) They either picked up this flavor when they were in Europe or from a New Yorker who picked it up from there. Guarantee it. It's fairly simplistic, alright on headphones but pretty fun pumping over speakers. I will never tire of obligatory rap breaks so long as they are Yubin.

Track 7) JYP all over this shit. I love how much flavor he packs into stuff. Always somehow lush and minimalist at the same time. Soooo good. If anyone asks why they're copying miss A I will throatpunch their ignorant asses.

Track 8) BOOM THERE IT IS. I have a deep, tender love for R&B and Wonder Girls does it better than anyone else in kpop. I wondered more in this new album, at least one. Here it is. I will be listening to this one a lot. Dear other girl groups: Sunye & Yenny are TAKIN Y'ALL TO SCHOOL. Yes, even you, Hyorin. You could learn a thing or two about finesse.

Track 9) JYP's crazy eccentric millionaire side on this one. They try to appeal to Americans with some other tracks but I'm telling you, knowing him, it's obvious that this is the kind of shit he likes to pump in his car/personal disco room. It's good, especially for that former purpose, but it definitely has that crazy millionaire vibe.

Track 10) ROFL this will be legendary among Wonderfuls. Impossible to take seriously, but it's fun. I have a strong suspicion that this is used in their movie.

Track 11) This is a remix for pianists. I would guess it sounds pretty weird if you don't play, but the flow of it definitely seems like it originated from JYP wanking around with the piano, though the piano part was probably made more minimal when it carried over into the actual track with other things.

Track 12) You know I'm a sucker for this DDR kind of shit. WOOOOOOOO I'm gonna rock this right along with Telepathy.

OVERALL: As good as The Wonder Years? I don't feel that way at this point. It's a lot of fun and definitely better than Nobody/2DT. I'll need some more time and consideration to decide if it's kpop AotY or not. In conclusion, Yubin is the hot, hot sex.

Peru

It sounds like a new thing, and that is a good thing.

It really, really doesn't. Sounds like Good Bye Baby mixed with how the Wonder Girls have always sounded. ..actually strike that, it just sounds like Miss A.

Dice

Peru said:
It really, really doesn't. Sounds like Good Bye Baby mixed with how the Wonder Girls have always sounded.
I find your instrumentation tunelvision really amazing. Do you even hear melodies and rhythms? It's sooooo different from GBB I just don't know what to do with this claim of yours. Yes, they use some similar sounds, signature JYP sounds, but really everything else is completely different.

Peru said:
..actually strike that, it just sounds like Miss A.
Yes, the instrumentation. This is why I have always called miss A "Wonder Girls 2.0" since they debuted. They were clearly made as a fill-in while WG promotes in America. That's not bad, but you gotta expect that some signature flavors will carry through JYP franchises. This is what he considers "the sound of women" or whatever.

Peru

It's specifically the melody and rhythm I'm talking about, and the vocals, the signature cramming and twisting of syllables. It's extremely by-the-numbers JYP. If you can't hear that you're the only one on the web.

I like the recipe and find the song catchy, but it's far from new. Neither was GBB, so I do hope he moves no eventually. As I said in the fanboy thread the album appealed to me more.

Dice

You mean that it actually has a melody? I know that's pretty rare in pop these days, but I promise JYP isn't the only one doing it.

Peru

Dice said:
You mean that it actually has a melody? I know that's pretty rare in pop these days, but I promise JYP isn't the only one doing it.

He's been using the same chord progression since Nobody.

Dice

Peru said:
He's been using the same chord progression since Nobody.
Oh, go jack off to CL going EH EH EH EH for 4 minutes like she has since debut.

Just a cheap shot, lol. WG has me feeling too good to be hostile.

ramyeon

The song is fine IMO. I've found a lot of the backlash has come from people who may not have actually been listening to kpop when WG have promoted in the past and have heard all these stories of how legendary they are and expected to much as a result.

Anyway it's definitely not crap like someone above said.

The video is disappointing because it's obviously cheap and a little boring. Doesn't really match the song that well and I wanted to see the look from the teasers :/

Their comeback song isn't as impressive or hard hitting as SNSD's The Boys if you ask me, but the album itself is MUCH more solid than SNSD's. A good variety of sounds on there but it flows well at the same time. I'm gonna be spinning this for awhile and it looks like they're killing the online charts in Korea at the moment.

Looks like there's a Be My Baby English version as part of the iTunes album as well.

EDIT: I can't find an average song on the album until Act Cool (Lim's solo track, ironically). Stop!, Me in, GNO, 두고두고 are all highlights... but every track just works. I'm sold on this comeback - I just wish people had kept less grandiose expectations. This satisfies me as a long time fan in every way besides the video for Be My Baby.

Peru

The thing about Lim is, yeah, she isn't the prettiest, but she's got an attractive voice and the best english, and serves as much a purpose as anyone.

Dice

To me she sounds like she has a stuffy nose. The weird thing is there is a kind of appeal in that, a uniqueness. But yeah, she speaks English really well, and she's Chinese so obviously she speaks Chinese, and she dances well. I actually think I like her more now just for the sheer audacity of Act Cool and some of it's adorably cheesy lines. It's like she's saying "Yeah, I'm not Sunmi. I'm Lim. And I'm STILL A WONDER GIRL, HATERRRRRRS" and she raps pretty cleanly on the track. I wonder if she's that good live.

STOP SHUSHING ME

ramyeon

Dice said:
Track 4) Not into it at all. Sounds like when country stars try to rock out. That said, I can only assume they are trying to reach out to that demographic, which is an interesting move. I do want to nananana with Yubin.
Just saw this and thought I'd point out the song is a remake of a really famous song by 신중현 called 미인 (thus Me, in) and its originally trot. I love it, it's got a great feel to it.

panda21

it almost sounds like they will do more than just make a youtube channel? i think its pretty cool, so long as it doesn't mean google cracking down on music show performances..

Ronok

panda21 said:
it almost sounds like they will do more than just make a youtube channel? i think its pretty cool, so long as it doesn't mean google cracking down on music show performances..

That's the problem. If youtube start getting involved, they may start removing video's not on their channel. That's not good for anyone.

Dice

ramyeon said:
Just saw this and thought I'd point out the song is a remake of a really famous song by 신중현 called 미인 (thus Me, in) and its originally trot. I love it, it's got a great feel to it.
It would be better as trot.

Dice

Okay, with 10 more listens I've decided it's AotY. Also, as usual for JYP, it's even better over speakers.

Deadly

Dice said:
Okay, with 10 more listens I've decided it's AotY. Also, as usual for JYP, it's even better over speakers.
Album of the year? I find it hard to believe that this tops Leessang's and Tablo's albums..

Dice

Deadly said:
Album of the year? I find it hard to believe that this tops Leessang's and Tablo's albums..
Come on, bro. If we're counting out-of-genre then Korea isn't in the running. We discuss khiphop here but it's still the kpop thread.

ramyeon

Deadly said:
Why? As far as being the best within its genre it is comparable. Leessang was the best Rap/Hip Hop album put out and I agree with Dice in that WG have put out the best, most well rounded Pop album this year.

ramyeon

Deadly said:
I haven't listened to all of it yet but I guess if you only consider Pop it's possible
It's quality. You're talking as if it's a second rate release.

And you can't really say anything until you've listened to it :/

Deadly

ramyeon said:
It's quality. You're talking as if it's a second rate release.

And you can't really say anything until you've listened to it :/
I only assumed it wasn't as good as the Leessang and Tablo albums.

ramyeon

Deadly said:
I only assumed it wasn't as good as the Leessang and Tablo albums.
It's as good. Just in a different genre. Tablo's album was great, but there were better releases than that this year as well. I'll give you LeeSsang ;)

Peru

My album list for 2011 atm, excluding mini-albums, looks like this

1. SNSD - 1st Japanese
2. Yoo Hae In - Close To You
3. Brown Eyed Girls - Sixth Sense
4. Sistar - So Cool
5. Navi - Hello
6. Neon Bunny - Seoulight
7. Dear Cloud - Bright Lights
8. Wonder Girls - Wonder World

Think these are the ones I've enjoyed as albums and not a few great songs + filler this year, though I might be forgetting something.

Dice

panda21 said:
UIi1x.png

Sinthetic

Hahaha at the dog. I don't think I am a forested hill. I guess I was just hoping some amazing Korean girls were on GAF, nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom