• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kutaragi seems a bit frustrated with Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know if I should even post this, with all the doom and gloom going on in the last few days - but I think this is quite interesting.

Sony hits stumbling blocks on road to recovery
Fri Sep 8, 2006 11:50 AM BST

By Nathan Layne

TOKYO (Reuters) - It seems to be one thing after another for Sony Corp. <6758.T> these days.

After a recall involving millions of Sony-made personal computer batteries and yet another delay for the PlayStation 3 game console, even one of Sony's top executives is questioning whether the company is on the right track.

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true," game unit head Ken Kutaragi said after Sony pushed back the PS3's European launch by four months to March.

The delay means Sony will miss the crucial Christmas shopping season in Europe, giving Microsoft Corp. <MSFT.O> and Nintendo Co. <7974.OS> a head start in the race to win over next-generation gamers in key markets like Germany and Spain.

But for investors, the bigger worry is what the setback says about Sony's reputation as a top-class manufacturer with the ability to deliver quality products to the market on time.

The news came within weeks of two major recalls by PC giants Dell Inc. <DELL.O> and Apple Computer <AAPL.O> of Sony lithium-ion batteries that can overheat and catch fire.

"All of this has raised concerns about whether there is something fundamentally wrong with Sony's manufacturing process," said Mitsushige Akino, chief fund manager at Ichiyoshi Investment Management. "And it could further damage the Sony brand."

The incidents will serve as a wake-up call for Ryoji Chubachi and Howard Stringer, who have experienced mostly success since becoming president and CEO of the world's second-largest consumer electronics maker in June 2005.

The duo inherited a bloated conglomerate that seemed to have lost the ability to churn out hit products. The Walkman had been replaced by Apple's iPod as king of portable audio, while Sharp Corp. <6753.T> had taken the lead in LCD TVs.

Sony now has a market value of $43 billion (23 billion pounds), less than half of rival Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.'s <005930.KS> $112 billion, which was smaller than the Japanese firm before 2002.

Stringer and Chubachi moved swiftly to slash jobs, sell off non-core assets and focus resources on key areas such as chips and flat screens.

FALLING BEHIND

The reforms appeared to be paying off.

Helped by strong demand for a new line-up of LCD TVs and a recovery in its PC business, Sony booked a 68 percent jump in operating profit for the past year ended March. Profit is expected to fall this year, however, due to heavy start-up costs for the PS3.

Sony pushed back the PS3's European launch because production of a component for the laser in the optical disc drive had fallen behind schedule. It was the second delay this year for Europe. North America and Japan are still set for a November launch.

Shinko Securities analyst Hideki Watanabe sees both the PS3 delay and the battery recall as manifestations of deeper problems rooted in poor management decisions taken during the 90's when Nobuyuki Idei was at the helm.

He says Sony was slower than rival Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. <6752.T> to recognise the rapid shift to digital from analogue technologies and was quicker to adapt. Matsushita worked harder at shortening lead times and cutting costs.

"In the digital era speed is everything," Watanabe said. "This is Idei's legacy. The new management knows what it has to do but there is such a big gap. Matsushita is running at full speed and it won't be easy for Sony to catch up."

Watanabe does not expect Sony to lose Dell and Apple as customers because the batteries are highly customised and it would be very difficult for the PC makers to make a switch.

He sees the PS3 production problems as a far more dangerous development because the game division has been a cash cow for Sony, helping keep the group afloat as it posted heavy losses on core electronics products.

"I see a major risk that Sony's presence in the game market will weaken," he said. "Investors will have to start considering the possibility in the future that the game division will not produce any real profits at all."

Sony's stock has lost 5 percent since Dell announced its recall in mid-August, lagging a small gain in the broader Tokyo market. Sony is up some 20 percent, though, since it was announced in March 2005 that Stringer would take the top job.

Certainly things have improved markedly since Sony stunned investors in April 2003 with an unforeseen quarterly loss of about $1 billion in what came to be known as the Sony Shock.

"Sony has no doubt passed through the worst stage," said Ichiyoshi's Akino.

"But investors can't let their guard down."
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/art...=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage3

Hopefully this isn't a mistake, I seriously don't want to start another troll-fest.

For some reason I get the feeling he might not be at Sony for much longer.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kutaragi is oft-critical of Sony and various Sony policies. He's considered something of a maverick within the company (or was, at least, for a time, even after the Playstation's success).

But yes, I'm sure he's mighty pissed at their blue laser division right about now :lol

Kabouter

gofreak said:
But yes, I'm sure he's mighty pissed at their blue laser division right about now :lol

I'd say so yeah :lol

metdroid said:
Isn't this guy insane?

Such insolence towards Don Ken cannot be tolerated.
phpThumb.php.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Jax said:
He's not in charge of poor yields and no one could have anticipated that. or the batteries.

so what gives?

well i mean if he's not to blame for a 600 dollar console with a component that's going to be incredibly difficult to price lead on AND gonna cause such massive delays/issues, then he sure as hell should have told who is to stop that shit

Mmmkay

Amir0x said:
well i mean if he's not to blame for a 600 dollar console with a component that's going to be incredibly difficult to price lead on AND gonna cause such massive delays/issues, then he sure as hell should have told who is to stop that shit
I don't think Stringer would have listened to him.

jax (old)

Banned
Amir0x said:

I can't agree with that.

now if you say that shit about the weaked GPU, maybe. But bluray? No.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ultimately Playstation is his responsibility, and he has to take responsibility for things like this when they happen. And he did, he was the one announcing this, and apologising (repeatedly, reportedly), for it. But that doesn't mean he can't observe on the causes of various problems.

Mmmkay

Amir0x said:
Stringer wasn't there when these decisions were first made
You're right, he wasn't. But I don't think they could have foreseen the issues when that decision was first made. Since then, Stringer has been the one pushing this unity approach, and I'd suggest he is the one who is keeping Blu-ray in irrespective of its ever growing troubles.

Kolgar

Got too ambitious, I guess, and they lost their focus.

Hate to say it, but there's more tough times ahead, beyond all the manufacturing difficulties. How to position a PlayStation console that costs upward of five bills?... Competition's coming in new and different forms this time around.... Game development is slower and more expensive than ever...

No choice now but to clench their jaws and keep going.

teiresias

Well, in terms of the PS3 business, if one is to believe what's said (yeah, yeah, I know), Cell and RSX manufacturing is fine, it's only the diode issue currently proving problematic. Overall though, yeah, it's been a pretty horrific month for Sony - and particularly in terms of the image presented of their manufacturing capabilities.

ElyrionX

Jax said:
I can't agree with that.

The disadvantages offered by Bluray FAR surpass the advantages it has brought. The mainstream will never embrace a $600 console....

Amir0x

Banned
Jax said:
I can't agree with that.

Well then who made the decision to support this HD format in the PS3? Because they are to blame. I remember Kutaragi always talking it up, and in fact before Blu-Ray was even confirmed for PS3 it was Kutaragi who said the component would be in PS3. Seems he was very happy with it.

Until, of course, the premature ejaculation on the Blu-Ray front which caused many issues with first players and Blu-Ray movies, a format war that they are going to lose, a component that's ridiculously expensive for a game system (read: if PS3 was coming out in 2008, it would have been more viable), blue-laser diode issues which caused delays and extremely limited initial shipments. Not to mention, knowing how expensive the system was gonna be, he still made sure each system was even more expensive by including HDD with every unit, showcasing all these components and then splitting for two SKUs.

And then on top of that, he had to have overlooked all the various decisions that have made the PlayStation hardware seem 'on decline', particularly on the PSP side and the various showings of CG video and false expectations around PS3 titles. Not to mention the plethora of PR heads from Sony game side saying the stupidest shit ever INCLUDING Kutaragi himself. Why didn't he tell everyone (and himself) to staple their mouths shut?

Really, not much good to say. All I can say is whoever is responsible, fire them. Now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OniShiro said:
that kind of talk will get him in trouble

It certainly won't endear him to those internally who think he is outspoken. It was stuff like this that helped get him removed from the board. But I don't think he cares at this point.

A recap of a little of his history in this regard:

It appears the 54-year-old Kutaragi's outspoken nature, in a corporate culture that's oiled by consensus, may be to blame. Independent and shockingly frank by Japanese standards, Kutaragi hasn't held back from criticizing company decisions.

In January, he told the Foreign Correspondents' Club in Tokyo that fellow executives had been overly restrictive in controlling Sony content in a world where consumers of digital movies and music want hassle-free access.

Asked what he would do if he were running Sony, Kutaragi said the company must revive its original innovative spirit, when it boasted engineering finesse with the transistor radio, Walkman and Trinitron TV.

Sony also has been hurt by its insistence on making its content proprietary, Kutaragi said.

gofreak said:
It certainly won't endear him to those internally who think he is outspoken. It was stuff like this that helped get him removed from the board. But I don't think he cares at this point.

Now I'm really starting to like this guy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
One of my favourite quotes of all time:

In January, Allard and the rest of the Xbox senior executives gathered to write brief statements on what motivates them to come to work every morning. The mission: to inspire the group's rank and file. "Most people put down flowery, make-the-world-a-better-place, Miss America types of things," Allard says. "I wrote: What gets me out of bed and into the office every day is the thought of Ken Kutaragi's resignation letter, framed, hanging next to my desk."

Maybe he'll get it some day.

Yoboman

gofreak said:

I was surprised when Stringer took leadership, I had him pinned for that position for awhile

Kabouter

gofreak said:

It's obvious that it's time that Don Ken takes control of Sony :p
phpThumb.php.jpg

Ajax

Banned
Amir0x said:

360 had the same problems. Every latest technology console risks that. Would you prefer a Wii style console from Sony just to avoid delays? Well I don't and I'm gladly paying 500$ since the console is great as far as value for money is conserned.

Amir0x

Banned
Ajax said:
360 had the same problems. Every latest technology console risks that. Would you prefer a Wii style console from Sony just to avoid delays? Well I don't and I'm gladly paying 500$ since the console is great as far as value for money is conserned.

'360' came out a year ago. Do you know what would have happened if PS3 tried to launch a year ago? There would have been zero units. Now they are launching a year later, and they still have embarrassingly low shipment numbers. If it was DVD, 95% of the problems facing PS3 right now would be gone.

Amir0x said:
'360' came out a year ago. Do you know what would have happened if PS3 tried to launch a year ago? There would have been zero units. Now they are launching a year later, and they still have embarrassingly low shipment numbers. If it was DVD, 95% of the problems facing PS3 right now would be gone.

But but but FFXIII on 15 dvds!Disc-swapping between random battles! zounds!

Amir0x

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
But but but FFXIII on 15 dvds!Disc-swapping between random battles! zounds!

Puh-lease (i know you're being sarcastic). Even if that game had to come out on 3 DVDs, the overall situation on PS3 would be 1000x better :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yoboman said:
I was surprised when Stringer took leadership, I had him pinned for that position for awhile

I don't want to say if it would have been a better or worse decision, but Kutaragi definitely is not a yes-man.

Another example is that while he was in charge of electronics, when he was on the board, he pushed through with the plan to join up with Samsung on LCD production, to much internal opposition. Now latterly, after he was taken out of that position, that decision has turned out to be a very significant part of the Bravia rebound for their TV business.

Amir0x said:
If it was DVD, 95% of the problems facing PS3 right now would be gone.

And we'd be stuck with a shitty format for the next 6-7 years.

We have PS2 for that.

As usual people can't think beyond a few months at the long term picture.

Wollan

Amir0x said:
If it was DVD, 95% of the problems facing PS3 right now would be gone.

You know, release date and such sucks right now but you can bet your ass I'm thrilled having that technology in my console. In 7 months, all of this won't matter but what matters is that the console has a excellent base tech standard for the next 6-7years.

Forsete

Gold Member
gofreak said:
Another example is that while he was in charge of electronics, when he was on the board, he pushed through with the plan to join up with Samsung on LCD production, to much internal opposition. Now latterly, after he was taken out of that position, that decision has turned out to be a very significant part of the Bravia rebound for their TV business.

And that&#8217;s why Sony should not get rid of the genius that is Ken Kutaragi. :)

Amir0x

Banned
monkeymagic said:
And we'd be stuck with a shitty format for the next 6-7 years.

We have PS2 for that.

No, the CURRENT thing PS3 is stuck with is a shitty, expensive, gonna-be-killed-off-in-3-years-HD-video-format-thanks-to-the-war format... which will basically just leave us with a really fancy device that costs a lot of money. It'll also be the thing remembered for probably making the PS3 fail and also thereby lose most of the compelling development support PS2 had earned!

At least DVDs is cheap and relevant, until such time Toshiba/Sony camps stop being dickassholes and make a unified format.

Wollan

Let's say Blu-ray get's killed off as a movie format in three years(not likely). You know what, it won't affect the games in the least. The advantages for games will still be there.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I don't think Kutaragi is to blame, solely. The gaming side of Sony has been probably the one shining light in their company over the last 5-6 years. I do think their decision to try and include Bluray in the PS3 has a put a tremendous amount of pressure on them and considering they are competing on two fronts (gaming and home video) with the PS3, they have multiple competitors putting pressure on their pricing and time to market. Sony has a pretty high rating when it comes to brand loyalty, and unfortunately, Sony has been shooting itself in the foot a lot lately giving its fans something they haven't had in a long time - doubt. But I do think they still have the strength and stamina to get through this, and I still anxiously await the video game nirvana that is going to be 2007-2008 when all three consoles are running on full cylinders.

Ajax

Banned
Amir0x said:

360 launched a year earlier with the latest tech. Same thing applies to PS3. And I don't think it wouldn't be able to launch a year earlier just for Bluray or that the price would be so much different if it had an 9 years old tech low capacity drive. And btw I like Bluray considering it's both necessary for games and plays HD movies.

Big balls would have been to include a 250Gb disk in there, along with a DVD drive and say ALL games install to hard drive. Solves all the problems, and plenty of space.

Amir0x

Banned
Wollan said:
Let's say Blu-ray get's killed off as a movie format in three years(not likely). You know what, it won't affect the games in the least. The advantages for games will still be there.

Right, but the system will be so expensive thanks to that component that by the time it drops to the mass market level MOST consumers would have moved elsewhere, and most devs will have as well.

What is the point of a 'advantage' that's going to cost you out the ass, and affect the system where it matters most? This is the issue. Blu-Ray/HD video format was just not ready for prime time in a videogame system yet. PS3 is CERTAINLY ahead of its time, that's true - but for this very reason, it is primed to fail. From its roots all problems have arisen around the system, and there wouldn't have been 5 solid, endless months of bad press if the price was not $500/$600.

Ajax said:
360 launched a year earlier with the latest tech. Same thing applies to PS3. And I don't think it wouldn't be able to launch a year earlier just for Bluray or that the price would be so much different if it had an 9 years old tech low capacity drive. And btw I like Bluray considering it's both necessary for games and plays HD movies.

Don't fool yourself: If Blu-Ray wasn't there, and PS3 had a regular ol' DVD drive, PS3 would be $399.99. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony went for the 'ol kill and priced it $299.99 with 20gigs.

Ajax

Banned
Amir0x said:
No, the CURRENT thing PS3 is stuck with is a shitty, expensive, gonna-be-killed-off-in-3-years-HD-video-format-thanks-to-the-war format... which will basically just leave us with a really fancy device that costs a lot of money. It'll also be the thing remembered for probably making the PS3 fail and also thereby lose most of the compelling development support PS2 had earned!

At least DVDs is cheap and relevant, until such time Toshiba/Sony camps stop being dickassholes and make a unified format.

Define shitty. Loan me crystal ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom