• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kutaragi seems a bit frustrated with Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
if there is FIVE years between 360 and nextbox 2(a whole year more than the xbox -> xbox 360 gap) then microsoft's next console would be out in 2010.

sony would jump through hoops to make sure that they had the PS4 out by the end of 2011. I think it's a pretty damn likely scenario *whichever* console is leading in 2010.

Arsenal

plagiarize said:
if there is FIVE years between 360 and nextbox 2(a whole year more than the xbox -> xbox 360 gap) then microsoft's next console would be out in 2010.

sony would jump through hoops to make sure that they had the PS4 out by the end of 2011. I think it's a pretty damn likely scenario *whichever* console is leading in 2010.

This is standard Microsoft procedure for competing in a new market. Accelerate release schedules while you are learning the business, improve upon your mistakes and wear down your competition.

Wollan

They shouldn't be needing 2 generations to learn the market. It's also puts a certain stamp on your brand over that long of a time.

antipode

It probably doesn't matter this far into the thread, but I think Reuters corrupted Ken's quote. The actual quote, according to an EETimes Japanese reporter, referred to the manufacturing process:

EEtimes's Yoshiko Hara said:
"We have established a process technology for blue laser production," said a Sony spokesman. "We are already making blue lasers fabricated with a former reactor. But it took more time than we planned to tune the large reactors for volume production."

Sony and Nichia Corp. agreed to cross license blue laser technologies in April 2004. Sony has been readying its production system for blue lasers at its Shiraishi fab. Playstation 3 is for now the only application requiring large numbers of blue lasers, thus leaving Sony without an alternative supplier.

Said Kutaragi: "If asked whether Sony's level of manufacturing technology declined, I have to admit it under the present circumstance. But Sony intends to prove its technical capabilities by manufacturing the necessary number of blue lasers from now on."

Wollan said:
They shouldn't be needing 2 generations to learn the market. It's also puts a certain stamp on your brand over that long of a time.
not if people percieve the brand as progressing.

if people generally think the 360 is a stronger console than the xbox... if it takes up more market share this time than last time (as most people are predicting it will)... if it's a stronger second place... what does that say of the brand?

they're getting better each time?

it's what microsoft do. they get better and better while they have competition... then when they're the only game in town they stagnate.

i think sony aren't that different. that's why i don't want ANY company to dominate this generation like sony did last time.

J-Rzez

Stumpokapow said:
One of my favourite quotes of all time:

Maybe he'll get it some day.

You know what that'd mean? He'd end up working at MS like how Peter Moore went there... that's what that means... :lol J Allard would have a new boss in a day...

Drek

snatches said:
First off: The DVD based console you are talking about supports 720p and 1080i, which looks incredible on the sets you are describing, and Second: you probably won't be playing much ps3 in 2011. Just a thought. Sony's hand will be forced by competition to bring out a new console that year. I like MS' timing. Release the next console in 2010 after a five year cycle with 360, make it backwards compatible this time, and put the winning next gen media format in the box when the "real" mass market is adopting bluray or hddvd.

What will Sony do when the "720" comes out in 2010 and technically blows the ps3 out of the water?
720p and 1080i are great, sure, but its not 1080p, and its not just about HD resolutions but about HDMI, 7.1 or better sound, etc.. Everything that makes the home theatre experience worth the thousands of dollars it costs.

You also don't need to act like a 10 year old fanboy.

"What'll Sony do then, huh? HUH!?! OH BURN, GO MS!"

When in this great 4-5 year life cycle does a console hit mainstream pricing? When do 3rd parties get to recoup the massive investments they're now making in game development resources? 4-5 year life cycles are a shit deal for everyone except a very small demographic of people who want and can afford the latest and greatest tech.

So yeah, I'll be playing PS3 or X360 (whichever has the best games, maybe both, hell, maybe even Wii) well into 2011, just like I'm playing PS2 now and will be well into 2007. I think the vast majority of the tens of millions of gamers world wide who make up this industry's prime constituancy agree with me. Longer console life means less money out of my pocket for hardware, more money for games. That makes everyone in the industry happy, except the losers of a generation.

bigfurb

Drek said:
When in this great 4-5 year life cycle does a console hit mainstream pricing? When do 3rd parties get to recoup the massive investments they're now making in game development resources? 4-5 year life cycles are a shit deal for everyone except a very small demographic of people who want and can afford the latest and greatest tech.

So yeah, I'll be playing PS3 or X360 (whichever has the best games, maybe both, hell, maybe even Wii) well into 2011, just like I'm playing PS2 now and will be well into 2007. I think the vast majority of the tens of millions of gamers world wide who make up this industry's prime constituancy agree with me. Longer console life means less money out of my pocket for hardware, more money for games. That makes everyone in the industry happy, except the losers of a generation.
Well said

Zaptruder

Banned
snatches said:
What will Sony do when the "720" comes out in 2010 and technically blows the ps3 out of the water?

It'll keep releasing PS3 games for it's large userbase until they feel comfortable to release a PS4.

The question then becomes, what will Microsoft do when Sony releases the PS4 in 2013?

Zaptruder said:
It'll keep releasing PS3 games for it's large userbase until they feel comfortable to release a PS4.

The question then becomes, what will Microsoft do when Sony releases the PS4 in 2013?

It'll keep releasing 720 games for it's large userbase until they feel comfortable to release a 1440.

Zaptruder said:

Enjoy another nice headstart? Maybe include HDMI next time!

puebla

BlizzyAzz said:
sonyrape4dka5.gif
lmao :lol

Razoric

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
It'll keep releasing 720 games for it's large userbase until they feel comfortable to release a 1440.

Let's wait until 360 actually sells decent before making these claims.

Drek said:
720p and 1080i are great, sure, but its not 1080p, and its not just about HD resolutions but about HDMI, 7.1 or better sound, etc.. Everything that makes the home theatre experience worth the thousands of dollars it costs.

You also don't need to act like a 10 year old fanboy.

"What'll Sony do then, huh? HUH!?! OH BURN, GO MS!"

Best post in the entire thread.

This gen will teach the entire industry a huge lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom