• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Times: Downtown Los Angeles hasn't seen this much construction since the 1920s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
On the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Figueroa Street in downtown Los Angeles, workers are putting the finishing touches on the Wilshire Grand, the West Coast's tallest building. Owned by Korean Air, it rises 1,100 feet and will have a hotel, offices and observation deck when finished.

Two blocks away, China's Greenland Group is busy erecting the four-tower Metropolis community, a $1-billion development with 350 hotel rooms and more than 1,500 condos.

Within walking distance are two other massive projects that will add a combined five towers, 1,152 luxury residential units, 184 hotel rooms and 214,000 square feet of retail space.

Downtown Los Angeles is undergoing its largest construction boom in modern times — an explosion juiced by foreign investment that's adding thousands of residences, construction jobs and a multitude of shops and restaurants.

Since 2010, according to real estate data firm CoStar, 42 developments of at least 50,000 square feet have been built — a figure that includes large adaptive reuse projects such as converting an aging warehouse into new offices. An additional 37 large projects are under construction.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-downtown-boom-20161130-story.html

Moar at the link.

I was talking about the subject with a friend and fellow gaffer the other day. It's absolutely insane how much progress downtown L.A. has made within the past couple of years. Before 2009, you wouldn't want to be anywhere in the area after sundown. Place would be a goddamned ghost town. ( I used to work there in 2008 and once I punched out - at around 6 usually - I hightailed it the fuck outta there.) But now, it's a booming, bustling place with tons of people walking around as late as 4 A.M. Shit's pretty crazy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When I moved there in the mid 90s the place basically closed at 5:30pm and turned post apocalyptic until morning. Saturday? Desolate Sci fi ghost town. You could buy a two bedroom condo in a vintage building for $150k.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah the change in DTLA over the last decade or so has been amazing. Of course it comes at the cost of some pretty terrible treatment of the homeless population but god forbid we not have our Art Walk without reasonable parking.

AniHawk

yeah i remember going to the los angeles convention center in 2009-2012 and it felt strangely isolated from the rest of the city... but they've been building more and more stuff around it, now extending beyond the normandie hotel by a couple of blocks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's still pretty underdeveloped relative to the city's size; it's striking how few skyscrapers there are on the skyline, and the bulk of the population is still in the ring cities rather than the DTLA area. Nice to see more good food options open up though!

Kayhan

Gentrification?

I think most of the US is moving towards a European model with the inner cities being the most desirable urban locations and the poor pushed out to the edges.

Alchemy

If LA can get denser I might actually like the city. Everything was just too fucking spread out, hardly ever got to hangout with people because everyone was literally an hour fucking drive away at least.

Tagyhag

Gentrification?

I think most of the US is moving towards a European model with the inner cities being the most desirable urban locations and the poor pushed out to the edges.

As long as Downtown is as dirty, cramped, and busy as it is, I think most of us will enjoy living on the edges.

Can't deny the variety of food options though, like 4 restaurants/mom and pop places on every block.

Gentrification?

Yup this has been the case with the wave of urban revival across the country. Young people are flocking to the cities, especially young professionals.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's still pretty underdeveloped relative to the city's size; it's striking how few skyscrapers there are on the skyline, and the bulk of the population is still in the ring cities rather than the DTLA area. Nice to see more good food options open up though!

I never really understood why that area wasn't as developed as you would expect. Even ignoring the recent construction efforts, it was still in a pretty important location.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
It's crazy, I take long vacations every now and then, and the skyline of DTLA has completely changed.

Tripon

Gentrification?

It's generfication because it became expensive as heck to rent or buy in Downtown L.A.

Rents for a 1 bedroom in downtown L.A. start at $2000+.

Soon.

image003-1024x421.jpg

joe2187

Banned
I absolutely despise downtown LA.

Too much garbage, too many people, too many hipster bistros and coffee shops.

daffy

Banned
Fellated by foreign interests while the homeless are fucked out of housing and the middle class continues to be outpriced. Los Angeles is a shitbowl but shout out to Farsi Cafe and Katsuya for feeding our privileged foodie bellies

I would absolutely love to buy a condo down there just for the sheer fact of its accessibility to the rail. Getting to near anywhere in the city without dealing with traffic makes it an absolute gem to live in. But it's too fucking expensive.

Ashhong

My gf works next door to that new Korean Air building and indeed the construction is such a pain. I commute out of there sometimes and God I hate it so much. I hate LA SO MUCH

Tripon

And a measure to limit all that growth is on the ballot in March.

https://ballotpedia.org/Los_Angeles,_California,_Restrictions_on_General_Plan_Amendments_Development_Initiative,_Measure_S_(March_2017)

The backers sneakily moved it to March this year because they knew it would have gotten handily defeated back in Nov.

Oh, fuck that. Thanks for posting about this. Definitely making sure I vote this March to vote against this. This city is expensive enough as it is to live, without more housing, it's just going to be even more expensive.

Got

Banned
My gf works next door to that new Korean Air building and indeed the construction is such a pain. I commute out of there sometimes and God I hate it so much. I hate LA SO MUCH

Sounds like you should leave it. Couldn't imagine staying somewhere I hated.

jblank83

Well, skyscrapers suck. One of my favorite things about most of the West Coast is how cities are built into the landscape, ala Portland or San Diego. Makes them much more pleasant.

Kevtones

Fellated by foreign interests while the homeless are fucked out of housing and the middle class continues to be outpriced. Los Angeles is a shitbowl but shout out to Farsi Cafe and Katsuya for feeding our privileged foodie bellies

Katsuya? Yikes. Way overpriced just-okay sushi no thank you.

If LA can get denser I might actually like the city. Everything was just too fucking spread out, hardly ever got to hangout with people because everyone was literally an hour fucking drive away at least.

We need a competent public transpiration system. An extensive subway system that connects all the sections and counties together.

It would do wonders to the abhorrent congestion on the freeways.

daffy

Banned
Katsuya? Yikes. Way overpriced just-okay sushi no thank you.
Orange County has better sushi places anyway.
Oh, fuck that. Thanks for posting about this. Definitely making sure I vote this March to vote against this. This city is expensive enough as it is to live, without more housing, it's just going to be even more expensive.
I really doubt the kind of housing that foreign interests are building in LA are going to do anything other than make housing prices even worse. Affordability is dead in LA county. At least until the inevitable crash

numble

Orange County has better sushi places anyway.

I really doubt the kind of housing that foreign interests are building in LA are going to do anything other than make housing prices even worse. Affordability is dead in LA county. At least until the inevitable crash

Measure JJJ was passed--it requires developers to either set aside units for low income families:
http://laist.com/2016/11/09/measure_jjj_passes.php

Measure HHH was also passed to pay for homeless housing:
http://laist.com/2016/11/08/prop_hhh.php

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Meanwhile, the freeways are fucking seeing no construction
or slow-as-fuck construction
. 😆 😀 😁 😂 😄 😅 😎 😋 😘 😏 🤗 🤔 🤑

Future

I absolutely despise downtown LA.

Too much garbage, too many people, too many hipster bistros and coffee shops.

I don't exactly hang it there, but I'm actually surprised how nice it's getting. 10 years ago I'd never go there. Now though it ain't bad

Kevtones

Orange County has better sushi places anyway

Can't speak to that though I liked a place in Long Beach years back (still LA county though).

Sushi Iki on Gower/Hollywood is a good overlooked spot. I don't know, maybe I didn't check out the right dishes at Katsuya but I went to Tokyo in 2016 and had 'good' sushi there and it changed my view.

I've checked out the Sherman Oaks iterations too and they're more acceptable due to price (still not excellent imo).

Kevtones

Meanwhile, the freeways are fucking seeing no construction
or slow-as-fuck construction
. 😆 😀 😁 😂 😄 😅 😎 😋 😘 😏 🤗 🤔 🤑

What do you take?

The 5 through Burbank is as smooth as an oatmeal cookie at the moment.

DTLA sucks to drive in but now that I can get there on the train and have a friend who lives in the middle of all the good stuff it is actually worth visiting.

Taking the bus through downtown makes me want to take a bus to a Red Line station and just catch in to Union Station sometimes.

We need a competent public transpiration system. An extensive subway system that connects all the sections and counties together.

It would do wonders to the abhorrent congestion on the freeways.

Measure M (dramatic transit expansion) passed with over 71% of the vote, and has no sunset clause. The next biggest transit tax measure last year was in Seattle and that only passed with 53% of the vote.

This is what LA will look like once it is all set and done:
Los_Angeles_MetroRail_-_Measure_M.0.jpg

It's hard to get Angeleno's to agree to any one thing, especially with more than 2/3rds majority.

Tripon

Measure M (dramatic transit expansion) passed with over 71% of the vote, and has no sunset clause. The next biggest transit tax measure was in Seattle and that only passed with 53% of the vote.

This is what LA will look like once it is all set and done:
Los_Angeles_MetroRail_-_Measure_M.0.jpg

You do realize the plan for this is literally over 50 years of construction?

Yes I know that but passing it is a great first step. Now we have funding to actually build this thing, instead of it being a pipe dream. Some important lines are also getting accelerated like the Crenshaw North Expansion to Hollywood and Highland. They want it built by 2024 instead of 2046. It's a much needed N-S line for a big portion of the population. Right now most of the high usage lines go E-W only.

numble

You are literally wrong. Everything on the map is either already built, or has a target date below 40 years. They likely are going to accelerate many projects with private and federal funding, as well.

TissueBox

A lotta nice touch-ups over the years though pro'lly still got a bit more to go before becoming reasonably un-spotty in the whole.

Gentrification?

All areas outside of the urban core? Eh, maybe, maybe not. Suburban neighborhoods with large lots and spacious homes still command a high price.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I moved to LA 17 years ago, and Downtown was not a good place to be. Now I live just up the street from the downtown hub for the past 7 years, and it's been crazy to see how much has changed. They've been building and remodeling for years now. They just finished construction on a new apartment complex near my building. I guess they have to start the gentrification as early as possible! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom