• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's because in the age of social media etc, people expected
Seb and Mia to be FB friends or something and know exactly where each other are in their lives etc.
I don't agree, but that ending will stay with me forever. Damien Chazelle is a friggin' genius.

Me too. It really hit home for me. I instantly thought of
a few of my "one that got away" exes and I just lost it.

Happy 1000 posts. Hopefully more to comes as theaters are finally getting their premiere and the inevitable post-Oscar film run
p9dhmCB.jpg

Also a friendly reminder that the Academy Award nominations will be announced live at 5:18AM PST on Tuesday
t1485264000z4.png

I would expect LLL to have all alot of nominations

nodules6nws0y.png

Yeah she has vocal nodes, which gives her that rough voice.
Justin Timberlake had them too (took a year off recovering from the surgery)

Not sure if you mean Chazelle&Hurwitz or Stone&Gosling. If you are talking about the former, the both of them are in a really strong position. If Chazelle wins Best Director he'll be the youngest ever Oscar winning director by like 200 days. The closest modern equivalent being Sam Mendes for American Beauty - he kinda fizzled out and is doing Bond movies now. Tarentino was also around 32 for Pulp Fiction but he didn't win. Aronofsky is another young director that took the arthouse route and it was 12 years till he finally won for Black Swan.

Chazelle's next movie is the Neil Armstrong biopic with Gosling and we know he likes scifi as he helped write Bad Robot's 21 Cloverfield Lane.

So does he go the arthouse route like Aronofsky and Tarantino and make cool movies every 2-3 years or does go blockbuster route like Nolan and Cameron?

that picture tho

Um, what? The ending is critically acclaimed because it is so genuine and not typical
Hollywood happy ever after

How so? I am honestly curious, because I mostly think the ending is beautiful yet, a gut-punch.
Mia getting her dream job, becoming that famous actress who turns heads, getting a lovely home, a handsome husband, an adorable kid, and Seb getting his jazz club where he can play jazz the way he wants too along with an apprentice isn't a happy ending? I don't know, seems pretty typical Hollywood. A couple not getting together doesn't make it "not a Hollywood ending". I mean, hell, freaking Casa Blanca ends with the couple not being together

What makes it feel really disingenuous is the whole her running back to her hometown, Seb picking her up for the chance in a lifetime audition, where she sings about failed dreamers, getting the part and then going on to become a big time actress. It just feels completely off.

Jeff said it more eloquently in the LA LA Land episode and the after dark for the Hidden Figures episode on Slashfilm than I can but I hope I was able to get my point across.

shira

14 Oscar nominations. Damn.

Best Director
Best Movie
Best Actor
Best Actress
Best Cinematographer
Best Score
Best Song Audition
Best Song City of Stars
Best Original Screenplay
Best Sound Mixing
Best Sound Editing
Best Costume Design
Best Production Design
Best Film Editing

I'd prefer Someone in the Crowd or Another Day of Sun
kunk-rum.gif

Mia getting her dream job, becoming that famous actress who turns heads, getting a lovely home, a handsome husband, an adorable kid, and Seb getting his jazz club where he can play jazz the way he wants too along with an apprentice isn't a happy ending? I don't know, seems pretty typical Hollywood. A couple not getting together doesn't make it "not a Hollywood ending". I mean, hell, freaking Casa Blanca ends with the couple not being together

What makes it feel really disingenuous is the whole her running back to her hometown, Seb picking her up for the chance in a lifetime audition, where she sings about failed dreamers, getting the part and then going on to become a big time actress. It just feels completely off.

Jeff said it more eloquently in the LA LA Land episode and the after dark for the Hidden Figures episode on Slashfilm than I can but I hope I was able to get my point across.

Yeah, that's a good episode. They covered a lot of my own problems with it.

Vlaphor

Just saw it myself. I had been wanting to see a musical for awhile and this one was amazing. Definitely one of the better movies in a few years.

mm04

This movie set a record for quickest turn around from it's amazing to it sucks. Fuck the haters.

That's because a lot of those people see it as a threat to their favorite movie winning the Best Picture Academy Award. So as stupid as it is, must shit on another movie to rationalize why the other is superior.

Damn, I didn't really appreciate the music in the movie until I listened to the soundtrack, which I can't stop listening to.

Just got back from seeing it. I don't know...I think I really like it? And yet I have no desire to see it again. None of the character names stuck with me enough to speak about them eloquently here.
The two of them not sticking together seemed like it was coming from a mile away.
Not that it matters....at this point, so many movies have been done "they get together" or "they don't get together" that neither way feels original or unoriginal. What this movie had going for it was gorgeous cinematography, great acting, (mostly) loveable characters, and some damn fine execution. Music was the biggest disappointment. That isn't to say I didn't like 1 or 2 songs, but most were meh for me. I'm very afraid I'm going to have that main piano tune stuck in my head all damn week though.

Very nice. Reminded me of the ending of Whiplash. They had a lot of these in the final scene, but I've never watched the behind the scenes on my bluray of it to see how it was done.

Everything about this movie is amazing... except the story. The story is both simple and goddamn stupid. Of course Hollywood is eating this up.

I loved it, and yet I would never, ever, see it again. It's way too long. Will the soundtrack be released anytime soon?

shira

Everything about this movie is amazing... except the story. The story is both simple and goddamn stupid. Of course Hollywood is eating this up.

I loved it, and yet I would never, ever, see it again. It's way too long. Will the soundtrack be released anytime soon?

I'm not quite sure but I think they wrote the songs first.

TheLegend

Did anyone outside US ordered the soundtrack from this shop?

https://lalaland.shop

How long before they send shipment info and how long before the package arrives. It's been almost 4 weeks since I ordered. Should I be worried?
I ordered the autographed blue vinyl back in late December and am still waiting on mine to ship. The current (non-autographed) black vinyls on the site say they're expected to ship on or around February 7th so maybe they all will be shipped then?

Anyone else received theirs?

Replicant

I ordered the autographed blue vinyl back in late December and am still waiting on mine to ship. The current (non-autographed) black vinyls on the site say they're expected to ship on or around February 7th so maybe they all will be shipped then?

Welp! That's a bit worrying.

Nope, I ordered mine at the beginning of Jan and still pending

shira

How long before they send shipment info and how long before the package arrives. It's been almost 4 weeks since I ordered. Should I be worried?

I think in this thread

Dan-o pending
kingocfs ?
JMizzlin ?
Bruce Springsteen ?
metsallica [received]

seem to have bought it. PM them?

No, the songs were developed alongside the story. Hurwitz worked on melodies over a long period, but the lyrics fitting them into the story came later.

I can't remember anymore, I guess you must be right.

maxcriden

CNN piece on La La Land being overrated.

'La La Land': Hollywood's failed bid to make America great again

Chazelle's film is a song-and-dance extravaganza with actors who can't really sing or dance; it's a movie about artistic dedication that would rather loft trite sight gags — Ryan Gosling glumly bopping the '80s karaoke classic "Take On Me" on a keytar! — than show the blood-and-tears process of actually creating art; it's a romance that, in place of a fair-play resolution of the central love story,
tacks on a fantasy epilogue designed to send audiences out grinning at an unmerited happy ending.

Big spoilers:

The movie does not send audiences out grinning at a happy ending. There is no happy ending.

One where — other than John Legend — only white people matter enough to have dialogue, and where Ryan Gosling's Sebastian can be unironically presented as saving jazz from black sellouts, like Legend's character.

I don't think that's fair. Besides the fact that there are other non-white characters in the film, the movie does not indicate Gosling is saving jazz from black sellouts. The black performers are shown to be of utmost talent in the club scenes.

More at the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/24/opinions/la-la-land-is-tragedy-yang-opinion/index.html

Replicant

I don't think that's fair. Besides the fact that there are other non-white characters in the film, the movie does not indicate Gosling is saving jazz from black sellouts. The black performers are shown to be of utmost talent in the club scenes.

More at the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/24/opinions/la-la-land-is-tragedy-yang-opinion/index.html

I hate this stupid narrative people have been peddling ever since the film was announced as the darling in the film festival. It's like people who haven't seen the film read a blurb about the film and automatically become offended because of it.

How dumb can you be to think that is the story of the film? That particular story thread is about a guy who wants to have a jazz performing career and own a jazz club. How is that managed to be twisted into that narrative instead?

I hate this stupid narrative people have been peddling ever since the film was announced as the darling in the film festival. It's like people who haven't seen the film read a blurb about the film and automatically become offended because of it.

How dumb can you be to think that is the story of the film? That particular story thread is about a guy who wants to have a jazz performing career and own a jazz club. How is that managed to be twisted into that narrative instead?
Don't act like it was inconsequential to the story when his wanting to save jazz is the very reason he wanted to pursue a career in jazz and own a jazz club in the first place.

Replicant

Don't act like it was inconsequential to the story when his wanting to save jazz is the very reason he wanted to pursue a career in jazz and own a jazz club in the first place.

It is inconsequential!!!

Who wants to save jazz? He said jazz is dying, which is more or less is correct. Not many people like it these days. I do and Gosling's character does. So he wants to become a performer. So what? Many people want to have a career in a chosen field that they like (ie. video games, story writing, etc).

It's your own interpretation that he wants to save jazz from hearing that line. And then become offended because of it. Which is fucking weird. Because it never occurred in my mind while that dialogue came about.

kingocfs

Ordered the autographed copy the last week of December, which said February 7th ship date on the site. I wouldn't expect any shipping info until next week. We essentially just preordered it.

edit: I am also in the US, btw. We're all in the same boat it seems.

Dan-o

The site does say "This is a pre-order and is expected to ship on or around February 7th, 2017" which I'm not sure if I noticed before.

Also, the signed option is up again! https://lalaland.shop/products/signed-blue-vinyl

edit: I see kingocfs replied before me. :)

edit2: I think metsallica got theirs so quickly because they ordered much much sooner than everyone else... part of the first batch of signed copies.

shira

I am not a big fan of musicals but I guess I need to see this one.
From what I've gathered in this thread it's not really a musical. It's really a hybrid. A few song and dances then a deeper layer of film.
If you like music in general or are willing to entertain a conversation about whether music is good or bad you should be ok.

If you absolutely cannot stand a rom-com then not advised.

mm04

I really want to see this for a fourth time. I keep dragging cynics from my friend group to see it with me and so far they've all loved it!

The only other movie like this, not counting Disney animated ones, that I own on Blu-ray is The Sound of Music. I'll be buying this one too. Oh, and CNN is out to lunch.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm a bit of a transfer snob. Are the Blu-ray transfers any good?
It is criterion.

But yes yes the transfer is good. The movies won't be available to purchase outside the collection till April but you can watch it on filmstruck.

Umbrellas and the young girls inspired la la land. That is why I am mentioning them. Young girls is better than la la land though

akira28

Jazz and PC gaming will die on the same day. Surprised to hear that there weren't a lot of singing voice doubles. Hollywood loved to use them for their non-singing stars back in the age of musicals.

That's probably because La La Land is only like half of a musical.

Yeah. All my musical loving friends came out disliking it for not the best music for what was there added on to the fact there wasn't much to begin with. I completely disagree though. The music was amazing and I loved how for its most important moments had "real" scenes instead of devolving into cartoon sing-songy nonsense. When it did go to cartoon sing-songy nonsense, it felt like it was playing around instead of trying to avoid having to write a good story like most musicals.

mm04

Could you guys be more thin skinned.

Uhh...I think you're the one being thin skinned, guy. I was responding specifically on his comment about something being beloved and then seemingly public opinion changes. This is GAF in a nutshell. Not just for movies, it's games, music, actors/actresses whatever. Once something/someone reaches level of awesomeness uncomfortable to some, backlash commences. Rinse repeat.

I am not a big fan of musicals but I guess I need to see this one.

It's the Fury Road of musicals. It's really a superb film and one of the finest experiences I had in years watching movies. It deserve every accolade it's getting and every single one it's still bound to get. And I fucking hate musicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom