• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrS

Banned
Finally saw this and it exceeded my expectations. Many a tear was shed, particularly during
Emma's performance of Audition, and the last scene where Seb was playing their theme at his bar

I truly hope Ryan gets an Oscar for his performance as Seb. Dude is Canada's greatest ever export.

RoKKeR

Saw this last night... damn incredible. Cinematography, colors, music, heartache... it was all there.

Such an impressive accomplishment.

shira

Ha ha ha some gossips about Teller/Watson

Both Emma and Miles are represented by casting agency CAA but were sensationally dropped after making a number of requests in terms of pay and rehearsals before production began.

One insider said: “Miles was offered $4 million to star in La La Land but he said he wanted $6 million.

“Watson was offered the lead female role, but she initially wouldn’t commit. Then she began making all these crazy demands, like rehearsals for the film must be done in London — for a film called ‘La La Land!’

“Producers finally cast Emma Stone — and once she was on board, Ryan Gosling jumped at the chance to work with her again.”

#LLLinsiderinfo #LLLul

Uhh...I think you're the one being thin skinned, guy. I was responding specifically on his comment about something being beloved and then seemingly public opinion changes. This is GAF in a nutshell. Not just for movies, it's games, music, actors/actresses whatever. Once something/someone reaches level of awesomeness uncomfortable to some, backlash commences. Rinse repeat.
It's pretty shitty to say that those negative comments are because something is popular or that it's just because some other movie isn't getting recognition, it makes you look thin skinned. Public opinion for the movie hasnt changed, you're just dwelling on a few negative reviews.

Speevy

Banned
I don't think the film really uses Ryan Gosling's acting chops, so I'm not so sure Teller would have been any worse for the role.

Same. Plus it sounds like Emma Watson had some wildly unrealistic demands.

Glad they chose the superior Emma.
Oh, totally. "Rehearsals in London" the hell. Should have just declined the part instead.
I don't think the film really uses Ryan Gosling's acting chops, so I'm not so sure Teller would have been any worse for the role.
I don't think Teller can pull of suave like Gosling does.

Lemaitre

Banned
Saw this for the third time lol.

Great movie, but I'd still put Moonlight/Manchester ahead of it.

But I do enjoy drama more than musicals.

Edit: Each subsequent viewing only reaffirms the casting choices for me. Emma Watson or Teller would have been misfits here.

ryseing

LOLLLL wow emma watson is a total diva. Massive mistake on her part.

BaTB is going to be a massive hit, and she avoided having to work with Miles Teller. I think she did OK.

I bought that Regal festival pass thingy and I'm looking forward to seeing LLL in a couple of weeks. Probably my third or fourth most anticipated.

Are we like reading the same posts? Cause I don't know, trying to discredit people and telling them to fuck themselves seems pretty overly defensive over a movie.
I just thought it was odd that you (apparently) felt slighted by those posts so much that you decided to call them out. That "trying to discredit" comment is also, I don't know; like you're taking this personally, hence why I find it ironic. I'm sorry I called you out on that, I just remember reading their posts and thinking "wait, there are La La Land haters now?" and just going on with my day. So when I saw your quote calling them thin skinned it caught my eye again. I apologize.
Again you can say what you want, but it happens ALL THE TIME.
I may be playing devil's advocate here: it's also possible that the initial impressions are good because the people that will be there on day one are fans of the genre/actors/director, etc. Once word of mouth starts rolling, the more "mainstream" types will go to a movie that they may not necessarily like, so after the first few weeks you get the typical "I don't know what the hype was all about", etc.

I mean, if you've seen posts saying "I watched it and loved it!" and then the same poster goes "after viewing it for the fourth time I've realized how overrated this POS is", sure, that's the "GAF cycle", but, eh, whatever, this movie rocks (jazzs?)

I just thought it was odd that you (apparently) felt slighted by those posts so much that you decided to call them out. That "trying to discredit" comment is also, I don't know; like you're taking this personally, hence why I find it ironic. I'm sorry I called you out on that, I just remember reading their posts and thinking "wait, there are La La Land haters now?" and just going on with my day. So when I saw your quote calling them thin skinned it caught my eye again. I apologize.
I'm with you here. I just found it funny that they had to say that, as if this movie's reception isnt largely positive. That's why I called it out, a few negative reviews is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Arkeband

Banned
I caught this this weekend, I was really moved by it and was impressed with how sad they were able to make it when the underlying messaging was filled with hope and perseverance.

I didn't think that Gosling's singing voice was very good, but I was blown away by Emma Stone who I was never a huge fan of and outright disregarded after the Aloha fiasco. And their chemistry was great, the choreography was pretty insane and the songs were catchy although they seemed almost too few for a musical.

When Gosling said "Fuck 'em" around the midpoint of the movie, someone in our theater gasped super loudly and the theater burst into snickers, so that was fun.

Miles Teller sucks and I can't imagine Emma Watson outdoing Stone's enormously emotive eyeballs, so glad they went with the current pair.

Speevy

Banned
I think the movie rises on its charming leads and upbeat feelings it gives you, especially in how it evokes old Hollywood and particularly in the face of all the grim and depressing movies we've had over the last several months.

With that said, it's not a masterpiece or anything. It's entertaining.

I'm with you here. I just found it funny that they had to say that, as if this movie's reception isnt largely positive. That's why I called it out, a few negative reviews is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.
Cool beans. Again, sorry about that.
I didn't think that Gosling's singing voice was very good
I don't know if that was perhaps by design. I mean, the guy is no Sinatra, of course, but he's not supposed to be, I think.
I think the movie rises on its charming leads and upbeat feelings it gives you, especially in how it evokes old Hollywood and particularly in the face of all the grim and depressing movies we've had over the last several months.

With that said, it's not a masterpiece or anything. It's entertaining.
This is really my take on the movie. I love it and will probably watch it again soon, but it's not breaking the history of cinema in two. It's just a solid, thoroughly entertaining, enjoyable movie with amazing chemistry between its leads.

kswiston

Miles Teller is a good actor, but he looks like he's in college. It's obviously hard to tell without seeing two version of this film, but I think that Gosling's look and general attitude fit the part better.

Emma Watson would have been a disaster.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

uhh no I'm not saying everyone has to love it like at all. I'm saying you're post is basically straight up ignoring the concept that it becomes cool to hate something that's popular. It is the natural cycle of anything pretty much ever.

Saw it some days ago, I cant still take out the music from my head. Its was an amazing and beuatiful experience.
Im a fan of this type of music in musicals so it was an non stop enjoyement for me.

It reminded to something similar as watching Fantasia (the visuals working with all the songs in different manners) mixed with 90's Disney musicals.
Thats probably why im loving so much the music, after Frozen and Moana (movies that I liked BTW) I really would prefer that Disney returned to La La Land's type of musical, as im not really a fan of "character tells his feelings in a song" instead of "song describes the situtation/scene" character and drives the movie to the next part of the story (and thats why my favourite song in Moana is You're Welcome).

But yeah, lovely movie, emma and gosling were fantastic and I cant wait to watch it again.

Also, seems that Chazelle is a fan of the same type of music I love. This and Whiplash has been home runs for me.

How does the instrumental part of "Someone In The Crowd" is rhythmically happy but at the same time carries a hint of sadness?

That part is one of my favourite melody segments of the whole movie. I dont know why but I freaking love it, and everytime I hear it again there, or the slow version, or the part in the epilogue im always tapping and loving it.

TheFlow

Banned
It's the Fury Road of musicals. It's really a superb film and one of the finest experiences I had in years watching movies. It deserve every accolade it's getting and every single one it's still bound to get. And I fucking hate musicals.
Lol dafuq is this. It is definitely not the fury roads of musicals

Just saw it and I thought it was very good. I loved the plot, the dialogues, most of the songs. Honestly I would have preferred some cartoony coreography, but I guess the movie wants to keep that realistic vibe, that in some way makes it special.
What didn't shine to my eyes was the cinematography: sometimes it was amazing, sometimes it felt serviceable. The interesting thing to me is that I hated any other musical I saw (Grease and Sweeny Todd come to mind) yet I want to watch this again.

Replicant

Just saw it and I thought it was very good. I loved the plot, the dialogues, most of the songs. Honestly I would have preferred some cartoony coreography, but I guess the movie wants to keep that realistic vibe, that in some way makes it special.

Well, you may like this then. Someone made a music video of "Someone In The Crowd" using mix of the trailers, a film called "Anna", and I think a Dancing With The Stars segment? I thought it was silly at first but I got used to it now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ynqmyL_q0

Miles Teller and Emma Watson would have fucked this movie something fierce, and I like those two. Gosling and Stone have been a thing since crazy stupid love and its hard to imagine anyone else in these particular roles, and the chemistry required to make the story work.

TheFlow

Banned
best action movie in more than a decade. and I'm assuming he thinks this is the best musical in more than a decade.

I might agree with that, but I wish there was more song variety.

I wouldn't say the best action movie in the past decade because of stuff like the raid 2.

I think la la land is only the best this year if we ignore sing street.

LionPride

Banned
So I saw the movie a second time, and my Lord this movie is gorgeous. The usage of color, the sound, the lighting, the music, it's beautiful.

I especially liked the scene where Mia and Seb basically break up. The entire time Mia is looking at where Seb's eyes would be, but Seb is just looking down until he says the "What are you talking about, you're an actress!" line. Then he looks up, he looks up when he verbally fights her. Just interesting. The ending being a re-imagining of the beginning with the costumes being representations of cars was dope.

It's not my best movie of 2016, but it is one of my most beautiful.

Was also weirdly topical with me and my now ex-girlfriend.

Piggus

My fiancee made me watch this (as in I had no prior interest and had no idea what it was about) and I'm glad she did. We both really enjoyed it.

best action movie in more than a decade. and I'm assuming he thinks this is the best musical in more than a decade.

I might agree with that, but I wish there was more song variety.

That's kind of what I think, but I'm not sure it's about necessarily being the best. La La Land and Fury Road are both a perfect execution of their genres in that sensorial spectacle kind of way, they look good, they play good and they feel great. It just gives the viewer that entertainment rush. Even if you don't like action movies, there's a good chance you're going to like Fury Road because its awesomeness transcends genre. The same could be said about La La Land.

Izuna

Banned
didn't find it depressing

happy for the dude

brilliant fucking movie

in the "what if" sequence, he didn't get his dream, that club was owned by someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom