• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Day of the Sun is amazing and themetically relevant to idea of persistently pursueing your dreams despite life's obstacles and I wont hear any bad things about it

If I hear a single bad thing about even a second of this movie no table will remain unflipped in this fine nation.

_Isaac

Another interesting thing about my La La Land audience in addition to staying through the credits. We were an American audience of 15 people and we totally all clapped at the end. 😂
I've never seen that happen with such a small group of viewers.

shira

Apparently the reason for Stone's throaty voice is that she has vocal nodes. Notable singers like Justin Timberlake had them surgically removed and took a year off.
nodules6nws0y.png

Another interesting thing about my La La Land audience in addition to staying through the credits. We were an American audience of 15 people and we totally all clapped at the end. ��

Neet

Well the chances of me seeing this in the theater are OVER.
My girl is already skittish about going to the theater but that's usually for big dumb movies like Star Wars. Now the crazies are showing up and ruining the movies we actually want to see!

Menacing Mystery Man Causes Panicked Stampede In Union Square Movie Theater
Goddamn, Union Square is attracting all the crazies. Between racist dude in the park and this guy, the cold weather must be bringing in all the weirdos.

cj_iwakura

Was I the only one(not counting Corey from Double Toasted) that thought John Legend's character was
an ex lover? That would have been... something.

Was (still) listening to Another Day of Sun while leaving work for the evening... Still addicted yep. As a whole soundtrack though, I really do love it quite so. Another Day of Sun and Someone in the Crowd is a wonderful 1-2 punch of an opening. The instrumental tracks are a joy as well, with Planetarium ranking pretty high for me.

Question about Mia's friends in that dinner table
when she leaves and joins Sebastian. Is that her boyfriend at the time?

Also, is that the same man she ends up marrying in the end?
I am terrible with faces so I couldn't tell.

Question about Mia's friends in that dinner table
when she leaves and joins Sebastian. Is that her boyfriend at the time?

Also, is that the same man she ends up marrying in the end?
I am terrible with faces so I couldn't tell.

The guy she ditches at the dinner table is her boyfriend at the time and no, the guy she ends up marrying is a different guy.

Stick to the Alamo. Assigned seats, waiters casing the joint before the movie starts. Perfect scenario.

Alamo is so overrated. All the theaters with that kind of stuff are overrated.

Oh wow, drinks that make you pee more and get up! Oh food that you're more likely to spill!

Just give me a dark room and let me enjoy me movie in peace, dammit.

Dan-o

Another interesting thing about my La La Land audience in addition to staying through the credits. We were an American audience of 15 people and we totally all clapped at the end. 😂

Yeah it's rare. Happened at my (first) time watching this too, on Saturday.

She did her first bf pretty wrong, tbh. As for her and Sebastian, sheesh. L.T.R. Ain't that hard...

Her first bf was kinda dull though I think it was his brother that really put her off the guy for good. Her and Seb? I feel like they might've tried to make it work but when they both proclaimed "I'll always love you, you know?", pretty much figured it wasn't gonna pan out after that.

She did her first bf pretty wrong, tbh. As for her and Sebastian, sheesh. L.T.R. Ain't that hard...

This was actually one of my favorite part of the script. The actions both of them take are so realistic and relatable in the contemporary world.

The only things that slightly annoyed me was the part where Mia seem a little bit too idealistic in the fight. I mean if she has done a few indy movies and is some kind of indy queens I can see her being more idealistic. But for a waitress/actress who is still waiting for her first casting break it's too holier than thou. I was completely on Sebastian's side during that fight. He said "You are an actress [in Hollywood]" I would have said exactly the same sentence in his shoes.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw it, my girlfriend and I have decided that the movie went about 5 minutes too long. So that's where we want it to end.

I completely agree. lol

*hi5*

I think it's the use of color and the choreography that make these two songs come alive for me. Visually it's full of energy and life that reminds me of an idealized LA, especially
the house party scene where the guys jump into the pool.

Eidan

I was arguing with a friend about Another Day of Sun" and "Someone in the Crowd". To me there's something very similar about the two songs, but I lack the musical know how to express it. Am I just imagining things, or did anyone feel the two had similarities?

shira

I was arguing with a friend about Another Day of Sun" and "Someone in the Crowd". To me there's something very similar about the two songs, but I lack the musical know how to express it. Am I just imagining things, or did anyone feel the two had similarities?

There is a repeating melody that is in all the main songs.

Brooklyn_Moods

Neo Member
This coming Thursday will be the 3rd time I'll be watching this movie in theatres, thanks to gaf in part for letting me know abouthat the Atom app free ticket. I'm so in love with this movie, I haven't seen a movie this many times in theatres in a very long time.

Since I saw people talking about the audience they were with while watching the movie, the first time I saw the movie last week, after time he pending number of Another day in the sun, the WHOLE audience in the theatre gave applause as if it were being performed live for us and that just felt awesome to me, I knew I was in for a treat of a movie.

As soon as I left the theatre the first time, I immediately went on Spotify and downloaded the soundtrack and haven't stopped listening to it since then lol, this coming from a guy who's not really into musicals AT ALL and listens to hip hop heavily lol.

Anyways, this movie deserves all the nominations it received and all the positive talk it's getting, Chazelle & Hurwitz really did an amazing job with with movie and the music, and to do a musical in this day and age and doing it successfully is really amazing to see.

Was holding off on listening to the soundtrack until after I saw the movie but god knows when it'll be showing here so I'm been listening to it all day. Loving it. Makes the wait for the movie that more unbearable.

amaretto

Just got out.

Wow, I did not even slightly enjoy this? Beautiful to look at and love the songs (not as many as I expected, though) but this just didn't work for me. I was honestly bored! I've never been so out of tune with such a wildly acclaimed film before lol.

Just got out.

Wow, I did not even slightly enjoy this? Beautiful to look at and love the songs (not as many as I expected, though) but this just didn't work for me. I was honestly bored! I've never been so out of tune with such a wildly acclaimed film before lol.

lol nice

B33

Banned
LA LA LAND is gorgeous, joyful, and heartbreaking. I adore its energy. Stone and Gosling are incredible. It's one of the best films of 2016.

All these reviews making me want to go see it.

Seems like a date kinda movie so I was holding out for a +1 but fuck It, I'm gonna enjoy the music myself.

All these reviews making me want to go see it.

Seems like a date kinda movie so I was holding out for a +1 but fuck It, I'm gonna enjoy the music myself.

Just go see it. Sure there are elements that would lend itself to being a date movie, but if you just want to enjoy the movie on its own merits, then watching it by yourself wouldn't be a bad thing.

also this movie confirms my theory that it was never the Drive Jacket that was cool, it was just Ryan Gosling was cool in it. He wears that dorky 80s/Devo outfit in this movie and looks fuckin' amazing, he could steal your girl in a heartbeat.

he can't sing for shit tho

I honestly feel that's part of the charm for me as neither Stone or Gosling are great singers, but are quite competent in their roles: an aspiring actress and a jazz pianist.

They don't have to sound professional because their characters aren't professionals.

Dan-o

also this movie confirms my theory that it was never the Drive Jacket that was cool, it was just Ryan Gosling was cool in it. He wears that dorky 80s/Devo outfit in this movie and looks fuckin' amazing, he could steal your girl in a heartbeat.

Seriously, this. If there aren't cosplayers dressed up as him at conventions next year, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I honestly feel that's part of the charm for me as neither Stone or Gosling are great singers, but are quite competent in their roles: an aspiring actress and a jazz pianist.

They don't have to sound professional because their characters aren't professionals.
Agreed. It does kind of make the soundtrack a little harder to listen to, though.
3 times a day instead of 4, right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom