• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
also this movie confirms my theory that it was never the Drive Jacket that was cool, it was just Ryan Gosling was cool in it. He wears that dorky 80s/Devo outfit in this movie and looks fuckin' amazing, he could steal your girl in a heartbeat.

I love that
one dude on the dock when he dances with his lady for even just twenty seconds

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
also this movie confirms my theory that it was never the Drive Jacket that was cool, it was just Ryan Gosling was cool in it. He wears that dorky 80s/Devo outfit in this movie and looks fuckin' amazing, he could steal your girl in a heartbeat.

What you talking about

drive1.jpg

Gosling reminded me of Tony Leung in his peak.

bounchfx

saw it last night. Incredible movie. first one in a long ass time that actually got a tear out of me (at the end). Beautifully shot, great tunes and setpieces. Loved it.

crustikid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ytwTO6jXhA

Anyone seen this review?? Made me feel very different on the character Mia..

Haha that's an epic review.
I don't think I detested the film as much as Grace. Loved that she picked up on all those details especially that Hollywood worships everything but values nothing.

Movie definitely has parallels to Chazelles personal life as he was a "hired gun" writer for a number of years who sold his soul to the machine. I know he was married and divorced, and just prior to release they credited his ex-wife as an executive producer; that's a big deal. Since he put so much of his own past in Whiplash, I could see him having done the same with the material in La La Land.

Desperado

I think Grace has some legitimate points in criticism of the film, but I don't agree with her perspective on Mia (and by extension, Mia's relationship with Seb).
I felt Seb and Mia were both flawed in their own ways. Seb was a poor communicator and his actions in the relationship, while made with good intentions, seemed to be based on assumptions about what Mia wanted out of life and the relationship rather than what she actually expressed. I also think that Seb's position in life at the end of the film was one of success – he achieved his dream, opening his own club and playing music his own way, which he had set out to do before even meeting Mia. I don't think Mia 'gets off the hook,' because it was clear she was just as heartbroken as Seb. That seemed to be the point of the ending to me, that both characters 'made it' but there was still a deep pain of sadness about what could have been.

This is a huge part of why the film resonated with me so well. My last major relationship was rocky and ended despite our best efforts. We both made mistakes and contributed to the eventual breakup. We've been out of direct contact for a while but just two weeks ago had a long talk on the phone about 'what ifs' and how we'll always love each other. To make it even more personal, I'm a musician and she's an actor, both of us trying to make our own way... The ending totally destroyed me. I couldn't help but wonder: even if I achieve my dreams like Seb did, even if I find happiness with someone else like Mia did, will I ever shake the fantasies of what might have been?

cj_iwakura

I think Grace has some legitimate points in criticism of the film, but I don't agree with her perspective on Mia (and by extension, Mia's relationship with Seb).
I felt Seb and Mia were both flawed in their own ways. Seb was a poor communicator and his actions in the relationship, while made with good intentions, seemed to be based on assumptions about what Mia wanted out of life and the relationship rather than what she actually expressed. I also think that Seb's position in life at the end of the film was one of success – he achieved his dream, opening his own club and playing music his own way, which he had set out to do before even meeting Mia. I don't think Mia 'gets off the hook,' because it was clear she was just as heartbroken as Seb. That seemed to be the point of the ending to me, that both characters 'made it' but there was still a deep pain of sadness about what could have been.

This is a huge part of why the film resonated with me so well. My last major relationship was rocky and ended despite our best efforts. We both made mistakes and contributed to the eventual breakup. We've been out of direct contact for a while but just two weeks ago had a long talk on the phone about 'what ifs' and how we'll always love each other. To make it even more personal, I'm a musician and she's an actor, both of us trying to make our own way... The ending totally destroyed me. I couldn't help but wonder: even if I achieve my dreams like Seb did, even if I find happiness with someone else like Mia did, will I ever shake the fantasies of what might have been?

I think how well the ending will resonate with people will vary wildly based on their relationship history. Struck a major chord with me for similar reasons.

Dan-o

That is definitely... an opinion.
Desperado a few posts up covered by own thoughts pretty well, so I won't write up my own thing. I'll just say (after three viewings) I think she misunderstood Mia's intentions and character at many intervals.

During
the dinner scene, it was clear to me that Seb was trying to convince himself, not Mia, that his dream was only success of any kind, not the specific dream he shared with her when they saw the live jazz band play. He can barely look at her as he tries to pass the ownership of his decisions onto her, and she's rightfully a bit baffled by what he's saying because it contradicts what he explicitly said and did before.

Totally different topic:
when Mia first walks into Schillinger's bar (I mean the bar where he's playing Christmas songs), and she's standing there, I'm 67% sure that the guy behind or to the side of her is her future husband.

Actually what I thought the first time I watched the film and noticed more on the second viewing.
She treated him and others pretty badly, despite him giving so much to her. I kept laughing in my head about the drive from Los Angeles to Boulder City just to tell her about an audition. Making a surprise dinner only for it to abruptly end in a fight.

The ending commentary about Mia's final fantasy - about what could have been is something i never noticed and a very good point. She wishes he didn't do all those things and molded him into her 'fantasy' guy. Alas, thats one of the main themes. Fantasy vs. Reality and the struggle/balance in-between. I was reading somewhere this movie was originally supposed to take place in Boston, but I can't imagine it the same without the "Old Hollywood" backdrop.

Overall, I still loved it. I see this movie as more of a surreal tragedy than a fantasy. There is a lot of suspension of disbelief, but its something that dissipated for me because of the music and how beautiful it is visually.

and DAMN i didn't know about Chazelle's past, but its all starting to make sense with Whiplash and this.

Dan-o

^ I guess it's completely up for interpretation, but I felt like
the fantasy epilogue was a shared fantasy that they both had. I say this because, during the sequence, they have a son together, whereas in real life, she had a daughter that he was obviously unaware of. As a parent, I didn't think she's be fantasizing about not having the same child. Plus I think the kiss in the bar was what he wished he had done instead.
Among other things.

golem

^ I guess it's completely up for interpretation, but I felt like
the fantasy epilogue was a shared fantasy that they both had. I say this because, during the sequence, they have a son together, whereas in real life, she had a daughter that he was obviously unaware of. As a parent, I didn't think she's be fantasizing about not having the same child. Plus I think the kiss in the bar was what he wished he had done instead.
Among other things.

Yeah the sequence
felt like a mutual realization of where their lives would be if they stayed together and never went after their dreams, its up to the audience to decide if they made the right choice or not since obviously they still have feelings for each other

DOWN

Banned
The ending was
sad
as F

Saw it on Sunday and haven't forgotten that last sequence

I think it was a shared fantasy

Like one of those heart wrenching one that got away scenarios. Their lives looked good but like their best lives required each other and it's just too late.

Since I've been listening to the OST in the car, my mom has been listening to it by default she whenever I drive her around. Last night she asked if I could make her a copy of the album, but alas, I've been streaming it off Spotify so I don't own it.

I'll probably buy it digitally so I can make a copy for her, but yes, would love a physical CE of both the OST and the score (which is supposed to be released soon I think?) as well.

shira

Since I've been listening to the OST in the car, my mom has been listening to it by default she whenever I drive her around. Last night she asked if I could make her a copy of the album, but alas, I've been streaming it off Spotify so I don't own it.

I'll probably buy it digitally so I can make a copy for her, but yes, would love a physical CE of both the OST and the score (which is supposed to be released soon I think?) as well.

Is the Justin Hurwitz account spotify album legit? I didn't list it in the OP because I don't know if that's legal or pirated.

#oldschoolcool

I'm hoping for some brightly colored special editions
It's blue! It was supposed to be a LE of 75, but there's a new ship date without that restriction on the site so I guess they're making more: https://lalaland.shop/products/vinyl
Cheap, too!

The score and soundtrack are both out: http://www.lalalandsoundtrack.com/

Is the Justin Hurwitz account spotify album legit? I didn't list it in the OP because I don't know if that's legal or pirated.

I believe it's legit since he has that verified ✔️ next to his name in Spotify, which all verified artists have as well. You can also use the Spotify links from the La La Land web store too.

It's blue! It was supposed to be a LE of 75, but there's a new ship date without that restriction on the site so I guess they're making more: https://lalaland.shop/products/vinyl
Cheap, too!

The score and soundtrack are both out: http://www.lalalandsoundtrack.com/

Ah cool! When I was browsing Amazon the other day, it wasn't in stock but guess they got more in. I'll give it a spin in conjunction with the OST.

Dan-o

Cheap, too!

Whoah $23 for blue vinyl autographed. That is a lot cheaper than I expected
ghzdlkw.jpg

So, I had this in my cart JUST the other day, but didn't order it, but at the time, it said nothing about being an autographed copy.
Went back today, and now only the autographed version shows up for sale, BUT the non-autographed one was still in my cart. The product descriptions were different.

I just finished ordering the autographed one instead. :) So thanks for this!

It's been about a week and I still can't stop thinking about the ending.

So glad I got "dragged" to this. Musicals are not my thing but just..wow. So good.

So, I had this in my cart JUST the other day, but didn't order it, but at the time, it said nothing about being an autographed copy.
Went back today, and now only the autographed version shows up for sale, BUT the non-autographed one was still in my cart. The product descriptions were different.

I just finished ordering the autographed one instead. :) So thanks for this!
Yup, you're right. I noticed that too. The initial batch of autographed vinyl was limited to 75 (though you could buy 9999 of them, they didn't set their store up correctly). After they sold out, they switched it to just the vinyl for a couple days, and today I noticed it was back to autographed. So I posted here! :)
I saw the movie on the 10th and ordered the vinyl that day; I think I was the 9th order in the shop. There was no mention of autographed vinyl save for that little button on the soundtrack page I linked above. I liked the movie a lot but wasn't over the moon, but for a signed record that price was too good to pass up.

Brooklyn_Moods

Neo Member
Any chance there's a version of the vinyl soundtrack without the John Legend song?

I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't like the song lol, it takes me out of the whole La La Land feel so I took it off of my spotify download of the OST.
I wish they had a version of it without that song, oh well.

Interesting interpretation...

Doesn't really change my interpretation, however.

I do see some extra reasoning why Mia wasn't an angel, but I never thought she was in the first place. The point is that it's two people who knew each other for a short time, yet achieved their dreams in the end.

Don't know why people keep saying Sebastian doesn't have a girlfriend/wife/baby or whatever. I don't think the movie made it definitive one way or another; just showed him in his own club at the end.

Hell, to be pedantic, I don't think Emma Stone is that beautiful. Gosling >> Stone. He dodged a bullet there.

Not

Banned
The ending was sad as F

Saw it on Sunday and haven't forgotten that last sequence

I think it was a shared fantasy

Like one of those heart wrenching one that got away scenarios. Their lives looked good but like their best lives required each other and it's just too late.

What an unmarked spoiler

Collect now, play when I can finally decide on a nice record player (I've been hunting for months). We'll see how Christmas goes!

beat

I love Film Crit Hulk's take on LA LA LAND.

So let's start here: When I watch a director that really knows what they're doing, I feel like I'm going along with an amazing dance partner. I'm getting twirled and bandied about, but suddenly it all feels effortless. [...] [LA LA LAND] clearly cares. But in the end, it's a dance partner who's trying to flip you about and pull off some major cool stuff while slightly-yet-constantly stepping on your toes.

[...]

... Wow, Hulk you really didn't like this movie, huh? You keep railing on it!

No, I liked the movie and it still very much works.

Wait, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom