• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Guardian Billboard/Ads Appearing

Squire

Banned
TLG won't bomb lol

Nah, considering the limited appeal and the release timing, I'm pretty sure it will. Japan might show up in decent numbers, but it's gonna be DOA in the western world. This is before even factoring in how long it's taken to make the thing. 1m copies sold for a first party title that took almost ten years to make isn't impressive in the slightest.

At this point, I think Sony is putting it out so they can cross it off the list.

silva1991

A lot of people conflate Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, while the former did not sell particularly well, SotC sold very well, and it being "extremely niche" is just a myth.

I already know it sold over 2.5 million units(including remaster maybe?), but 1 million on NPD is just beyond impressive for this so called niche game.

Yeah.

A decade ago.

TLG is gonna bomb.

If it's bad sure.

If it's good, I'm expecting sub Bloodborne numbers.

Squire

Banned
If it's bad sure.

If it's good, I'm expecting sub Bloodborne numbers.

I don't think good/bad is going to have much to do with it, ultimately.

It can be the top-rated game on Metacritic this year - I don't expect all that many people in the general game-playing public to have the patience to wait for Trico to get on with it while they try to solve obtuse puzzles with basically no guidance.

Publishers just don't send games like this to retail anymore. For good reason.

Just like R&C was supposed to bomb.

That's actually a great comparison! R&C came out in the middle of the year, tied to a movie, at budget price, and as the latest installment in a franchise that's continued to run pretty reliably over the past few years.

R&C didn't bomb because it's release was optimized to give it a really solid chance to succeed.

liquidtmd

Banned
That's actually a great comparison! R&C came out in the middle of the year, tied to a movie, at budget price, and as the latest installment in a franchise that's continued to run pretty reliably over the past few years.

The other points are valid but I thought the movie was not good and bombed?

Nah, considering the limited appeal and the release timing, I'm pretty sure it will. Japan might show up in decent numbers, but it's gonna be DOA in the western world. This is before even factoring in how long it's taken to make the thing. 1m copies sold for a first party title that took almost ten years to make isn't impressive in the slightest.

At this point, I think Sony is putting it out so they can cross it off the list.

What do you consider a bomb? And as far how long it took to develop that is misleading because it wasn't in development that long it was in stasis. Plus Shu said even with this long time from announcement to release it still much cost much less than a game like Horizon Zero Dawn to produce.

And if they truly just wanted to put it out and cross it off the list why are they advertising it and promoting at E3. Seems like it would be getting the Gravity Rush 2 or maybe Until Dawn treatment if they truly felt that way.

People think TLG was in active development for 10years
😅😅😅

Squire

Banned
The other points are valid but I thought the movie was not good and bombed?

It was a limited release, so it doesn't even really matter. With or without, that strikes me as a much better release plan than what's happening here.

People think TLG was in active development for 10years
😅😅😅

Not constantly, but I do think they probably started and stopped a few times. I don't think it's an FFXV situation where they really just never got the ball rolling until a couple years ago.

It was a limited release, so it doesn't even really matter. With or without, that strikes me as a much better release plan than what's happening here.

Not constantly, but I do think they probably started and stopped a few times. I don't think it's an FFXV situation where they really just never got the ball rolling until a couple years ago.

But that is what kinda happened. From what I gleaned not much has changed from the original concept and game that was on PS3. It was simply shelved until it could be moved over PS4 and Team Ico was either working or projects within Japan Studio or they left with Ueda to form his independent studio. Not saying it didn't have any development troubles because it obviously did, but I don't think it was ever scrapped and restarted.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I wonder how well this is going to do, especially with the final marketing push. To me the hype died long ago and I can't help but feel it's going to disappoint.

I wonder how well this is going to do, especially with the final marketing push. To me the hype died long ago and I can't help but feel it's going to disappoint.

I had never heard of The Last Guardian outside of talk on Neogaf until it was re-revealed in 2015 so my expectations are no more than it would be for any other game this generation. Same for Final Fantasy XV. Probably a good thing for me.

Mediking

I will be supporting Gravity Rush 2 day one because I loved the 1st one. But The Last Guardian...? I dunno.... need a demo.

LordCanti

It's exciting to see that they're planning some sort of push. There are a lot of more casual PS4 owners that would buy the game based on interest in Toriko I think and marketing to them like this is a good way to expose them to the game. I hope they're also planning TV ads as well.

Raylan

Banned

lol... The 10 year myth again. You do realize that they didn't really work on that game actively for at least 5 of these 10 years, right? And it's a really small team. The budget for this game is small.

Zedark

I will be supporting Gravity Rush 2 day one because I loved the 1st one. But The Last Guardian...? I dunno.... need a demo.

I want to support GR2 day one, but man, look at FFXV! It releases a day before GR2 and besides that I also have to juggle Trails of Cold Steel II and World of FInal Fantasy in the time period from october 28 to november 30. I can't do all (wish I could, but I'm not in high school anymore), and it is heartbreaking to decide which one will have to get the silent treatment until I am ready for it.
First world problems, I know

Raylan

Banned
I want to support GR2 day one, but man, look at FFXV! It releases a day before GR2 and besides that I also have to juggle Trails of Cold Steel II and World of FInal Fantasy in the time period from october 28 to november 30. I can't do all (wish I could, but I'm not in high school anymore), and it is heartbreaking to decide which one will have to get the silent treatment until I am ready for it.
First world problems, I know
Final Fantasy will sell automatically a lot. Gravity Rush 2 won't. So support the underdog here. Chances are very high that the IP will die once and for all if it flops.

synce

Bizarre seeing a billboard for a Fumito Ueda game. I remember a magazine ad for Ico but this is something else

Zedark

Final Fantasy will sell automatically a lot. Gravity Rush 2 won't. So support the underdog here. Chances are very high that the IP will die once and for all if it flops.

I know you are right about that, and on one hand I really want to buy it, regardless of whether I will be playing it day one (I WILL be playing it at some point within the first 2 months of its launch). On the other I'd wish in some capacity that this game would be delayed to april of next year just so it has a fighting chance. Tough spot for GR2 to be in for sure.

Disregarding the high probability that the franchise will die after this game anyway, I probably will buy it anyway on the first day (or in the first week) and maybe play it as an intermezzo for FFXV.

gfxtwin

Man, I'm not even gonna let myself get hyped. I'm going in with zero expectations, just a clean slate as though I found the game at a garage sale without hearing about it beforehand.

Willing to bet this will have the R&C effect everyone was calling that a bomb before it released too and it exceeded expectations. Tlg just needs to be good

Gravity rush 2 on the other hand..

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Some of you sound like you want this to bomb. I think it'll do fine.

I dont see any other games offering this type of experience. And the hype it got during e3 was telling enough.

Yeah.

A decade ago.

TLG is gonna bomb.

nah, it will be reviewed 85-90 and sell 1.5-3 million copies. it will do fine. maybe not make back all the dev costs but it won't be a complete catastrophe.. i think.

i will personally absolutely love it, that much is certain. more than SotC though.. that i don't know yet, but it has a chance.

ghibli99

Cool! Reminds me of the first PS1 billboard I ever saw, which was for Parappa the Rapper back in '97. I think I was in Redondo Beach, CA or something. I couldn't believe it. :)

ScOULaris

Fuck yeah, Sony. You're making me proud by giving this game an actual marketing push. Throw in some TV spots on major networks in the month leading up to release and TLG might actually sell to a wider audience than the niche of gaming enthusiasts who have been frothing at the mouth for the last seven years.

mejin

bvViOgc.gif

This is before even factoring in how long it's taken to make the thing. 1m copies sold for a first party title that took almost ten years to make isn't impressive in the slightest.
If I see this just one more time, I'm flipping every table. Every. Table.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...e-last-guardian-says-shuhei-yoshida/#/slide/1

No, no, not at all. The team is much smaller. Teams in Japan are much smaller in general than teams in the US and Europe… Horizon is a much bigger budget title than The Last Guardian! It’s not so small, it’s much bigger than Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, but it’s not a US or European-style budget.

Top Bottom