• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Ranker (Capcom x RPG x PSP) Information Thread

ethelred

1up's write up of the Famitsu article had some... interesting, I guess, comments.

"I came up with the design for this after we came to an agreement with Capcom," director Kazuya Niinou told Famitsu magazine this week. "Street Fighter II was the main reason my life took a wild detour into the game industry, so I instantly knew that I wanted to make something battle-oriented for Capcom. Tatsuya Yoshikawa, the character designer, is like a walking history of Capcom design, so I really went all out with the Capcom fan love with this project."

[...]

Either way, Last Ranker seems surprisingly action-oriented for an RPG -- especially one developed by Niinou, who's best known for slow-paced, command-style RPGs on the Nintendo DS. Why the shift? The difference in audiovisual power, mainly. "I feel that the PSP platform is better suited for moving characters around directly instead of selecting commands off menus," Niinou told Famitsu.

I love Niinou, but... I'm still not sure what to think about this game.

Acosta

Why the 1UP writer says that Niinou is "best known" for slow paced-command type games like he has not done any other stuff (Trauma Center anyone?)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Acosta said:
Why the 1UP writer says that Niinou is "best known" for slow paced-command type rpg games like he has not done any other stuff (Trauma Center anyone?)

Fixed.

duckroll

He is best known for command-type rpgs because both EO and 7D in Japan have sold several times over what TC sold. In Japan, no one gives a flying fuck about the TC series. Outside of Japan, no one knows who the fuck Niinou is. So yeah, I would say he is definitely "best known" for his command-type RPGs.

Acosta

duckroll said:
He is best known for command-type rpgs because both EO and 7D in Japan have sold several times over what TC sold. In Japan, no one gives a flying fuck about the TC series. Outside of Japan, no one knows who the fuck Niinou is. So yeah, I would say he is definitely "best known" for his command-type RPGs.

True, but I would say that "he is well known for his work in EO and 7D" then. The way it is written makes it seems like is all surprising Niinou is not developing a command-type rpg, while he was worked on a variety of projects along his career.

If you have developed 10 games of a same type in a row, and then do something completely different, yes, it worth noticing. I just don't think it´s the case.

In any case it's has no importance, just a silly remark from my viewpoint.

duckroll

243gvw7.jpg

140aglw.jpg

duckroll

http://www.imageepoch.co.jp/blog/?p=134#more-134

Interesting news here. Mikage reveals that the main planner for Last Ranker is the director of Arc Rise Fantasia - Hiroyuki Kanemaru. The lead programmer is also the lead programmer of Arc Rise Fantasia - Takashi Kawamoto. Seems like both Niinou and Kanemaru are joining forces for this game, it must be a pretty big project for Image Epoch.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Die Squirrel Die said:
I like how the character designs translate into the ingame models, but the CG models are just off.

Oh, the music at the official site is pretty nifty.
I agree, the character designs look better than the CG models.

duckroll said:
http://www.imageepoch.co.jp/blog/?p=134#more-134

Interesting news here. Mikage reveals that the main planner for Last Ranker is the director of Arc Rise Fantasia - Hiroyuki Kanemaru. The lead programmer is also the lead programmer of Arc Rise Fantasia - Takashi Kawamoto. Seems like both Niinou and Kanemaru are joining forces for this game, it must be a pretty big project for Image Epoch.
Whoa, are they putting all their eggs in one basket now?

KTallguy

Banned
Thanks for the update!

The art style for the menus has shades of Persona 3 and 4... but the gun drawing and in game models are a bit more "traditional". Interesting mix of styles.

duckroll

There have been several substantial updates on the official site lately: http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/index.html

There are new characters announced, as well as screenshots of various things within the game in the World section. The article in Famitsu this week also had a new piece of artwork of 2 of the new characters and it looks really similar to BoF5 art. :)

There have also been screenshots showing battles against monsters and stuff, so the game is definitely not just about fighting other Rankers. Looks pretty good overall. I'm definitely digging the art direction for the game. It looks pretty colorful and interesting.

Those who live in Tokyo, don't forget, this game is PLAYABLE at Jump Festa on 19th and 20th December. I expect some impressions, don't let me down! :D

GhaleonQ

Wow, those are REALLY Breath Of Fire-y. I can't tell where Shimomura's going with the soundtrack, though. It sounds like something new for her (again).

Kishgal

Banned
Looks really nice. I don't really understand how battles work, but they look all right too. I can't believe they're using that ridiculous FF12/Code Age Commanders subtitle font for dialog, though.

BlueWord

How have I not noticed this game previously?

Just watched the trailers, the character designs are ace (<3 Yoshikawa), and the whole thing looks really professional. There's some big names attached here, so I'm pretty excited. Looks to be the closest thing to a new BoF we'll be getting from Capcom, at least for now.

duckroll

The art direction is the best part of the trailers so far, with the music being really attractive too. I like how the battles definitely look command based, even if the commands are mapped onto the buttons. It's definitely not an action RPG, and like Niinou said before, it looks more like a timing based system where you have to defend against attacks and counterattack as required to succeed. Weapons looks really cool too. The official site has shown different sorts of weapons, like pistols, short swords, etc. Looking forward to a release date...

duckroll said:
Jump Festa trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf75qnvxIUc

Official site update: http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/index.html

The trailer is completely realtime, and it looks like the game is pretty far along now. Looks pretty good, and I have to say, the 3D work is the best I've seen from Image Epoch yet, possibly even better than Arc Rise Fantasia. I guess Capcom is helping them with production?

Better than ARF? Nah. Though this game does look really nice for a 3D PSP game. It's the best I've seen besides KH BBS. I wonder why most devs refuse to push the PSP in 3D? I thought it was as powerful as the PS2?

The music reminded me of FFCC on GC in the beginning part.

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:
Better than ARF? Nah. Though this game does look really nice for a 3D PSP game. It's the best I've seen besides KH BBS. I wonder why most devs refuse to push the PSP in 3D? I thought it was as powerful as the PS2?

The music reminded me of FFCC on GC in the beginning part.

The 3D animation is definitely better than ARF.

duckroll said:
The 3D animation is definitely better than ARF.

I thought it was on par myself. I like how a small dev like Image Epoch ends up making better 3D animation than most other devs when it comes to RPGs. :lol

jj984jj

duckroll said:
I guess Capcom is helping them with production?
I've noticed that development is usually credited to both imageepoch and Capcom, so they probably are.

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:
I thought it was on par myself. I like how a small dev like Image Epoch ends up making better 3D animation than most other devs when it comes to RPGs. :lol

Image Epoch is a small dev? They have over a hundred employees now. They just released Luminous Arc 3 on the DS, they released 7th Dragon on the DS and Arc Rise Fantasia on the Wii this year, and they have 2 PSP RPGs in development right now for early 2010. They're going into HD development too.

I also completely disagree about them making "better 3D animation than most other devs" especially when it comes to RPGs. There aren't that many RPG developers in Japan these days, and Tales Studio, tri-Ace, Square Enix, and Level 5 are all clearly better. In fact, while I've been a big fan of following their work because they're making original RPG IPs with different developers and I'm a big fan of originality, I don't think that they're very talented at 3D at all. It's their weakest point next to game balance. Two indications of a rather amateur developer who has started to expand rapidly.

The good news is that they've been taking it in their stride and learning from each game. 7th Dragon definitely had better balance than World Destruction, and the CG in Arc Rise Fantasia is definitely better than the CG in World Destruction and 7th Dragon. It's good that the animation in Last Ranker is looking improved from their previous games too. They're clearly learning with each new game, but I'll hardly call them a "small dev" at this point.

duckroll said:
Image Epoch is a small dev? They have over a hundred employees now. They just released Luminous Arc 3 on the DS, they released 7th Dragon on the DS and Arc Rise Fantasia on the Wii this year, and they have 2 PSP RPGs in development right now for early 2010. They're going into HD development too.

I also completely disagree about them making "better 3D animation than most other devs" especially when it comes to RPGs. There aren't that many RPG developers in Japan these days, and Tales Studio, tri-Ace, Square Enix, and Level 5 are all clearly better. In fact, while I've been a big fan of following their work because they're making original RPG IPs with different developers and I'm a big fan of originality, I don't think that they're very talented at 3D at all. It's their weakest point next to game balance. Two indications of a rather amateur developer who has started to expand rapidly.

The good news is that they've been taking it in their stride and learning from each game. 7th Dragon definitely had better balance than World Destruction, and the CG in Arc Rise Fantasia is definitely better than the CG in World Destruction and 7th Dragon. It's good that the animation in Last Ranker is looking improved from their previous games too. They're clearly learning with each new game, but I'll hardly call them a "small dev" at this point.

Oh, didn't know that. Just that none of their games are really big breakout hits and even so they make some good (not necessarily great) 3D regardless. Well I wish them luck. Looking to buy ARF next year.

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:
Oh, didn't know that. Just that none of their games are really big breakout hits and even so they make some good (not necessarily great) 3D regardless. Well I wish them luck. Looking to buy ARF next year.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think the word might be "low profile developer" instead of small developer. Their size is not small, but obviously they haven't had the success that Level 5 had for example. I definitely wish them luck, and I'll continue supporting them as long as they make stuff which I think looks fun and original.

Bebpo

Banned
Looks ok. The use of color is nice. I like how all devs are making their psp games colorful now since the psp sucks at dark schemes. The battle looked really...plain and kinda slow? Need to see more battle footage.

ksamedi

I like the concept of this game. It seems the battle system is based on how you choose to attack and defend (maybe you also have different kinds of defense options?) and about weapon customization. I don't get the overworld though, are there going to be monsters to fight?

duckroll

ksamedi said:
I like the concept of this game. It seems the battle system is based on how you choose to attack and defend (maybe you also have different kinds of defense options?) and about weapon customization. I don't get the overworld though, are there going to be monsters to fight?

There are definitely fields, towns and dungeons from what I gather, and the world is probably connected. Not sure if there's a world map though. The progression in the game focuses on raising your rank in the world, and there are two ways to do this - beating another ranker, or completing guild missions. The monsters in battles are part of guild missions where you take on tasks to clear areas of monsters or defeat certain non-human threats and increase your rank slowly that way. The faster way is to simply defeat a higher ranking ranker, and you will jump to that rank. I'm being led to believe by the previews and articles that the game will be somewhat non-linear in progression, with major story events occurring at certain locations, as well as when you reach certain milestones in rank.

yencid

Gah i came here to post those screens but it looks like it has already been done.
the design looks great though. Really like the shots. :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
They did a full site renewal recently: http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/

I'm sure at least 3 people are interested. Lulz.
I'm kind of surprised we still don't have a release date, or at least a release window.

I wonder if that's because of development issues, marketing issues, or just that they announced the game a bit earlier than a lot of portable games have been lately.

jj984jj

Does the music work for you? It opens a new window for me when I turn it on but I don't hear anything.

Top Bottom