• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Party: The Wire (spoilers unmarked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tnsply100 said:
Prop Joe never laundered money for Marlo - ever. He pointed him to offshore accounts that could not be touched - that's not laundering.
So why were they pretending to build churches with the money?

Right... Marlo suddenly starts worrying about tax laws. Don't buy it. There was no need to hobnob with developers before (its not like 'drug dealer' shielded him from having to worry about tax laws before). And, there is no need to worry about now that he is NOT dealing drugs.

Again read what I wrote, he was about to receive a much larger sum from selling the connect to the collective, this needed to be cleaned( regardless of semantics, the dirty money was cleaned via Prop Joe's contacts)

There is no need for advice from Levy because Marlo has no need for advice. He can take his cash from underneath the mattresses and his offshore accounts and start gambling them away from day one.

So why the fuck did he go to Prop Joe in the 1st place?

He can get plenty of peace by gambling, taking care of pigeons, and anything else under the sun. - Even him "thinking about peace" would need some real foundation that the show never laid down.

So you think a more plausible plotline for Marlo would have been him retiring to look after his pigeons?
But trying to show that suddenly wakes up and says "turn businessman and hobnob with developers" for peace makes no sense.
He didn't "suddenly" wake up & leave the game, he was forced to, remind me who was it who negotiated his release?
Writing a plot is a lot like writing a mathematical proof. You go from step A to B to C and so on, where every step logically leads to the next.

Just like real people act, right?

The same crap occurred with Prez... a fuck up of a cop who kills an officer, blinds a kid because he looked at him the wrong way, and is mentally unstable suddenly turns into "bright eyed teacher caring all about kids futures". And this was done of course because one of the writers went from cop to teacher.

There is nothing sudden about what happened to Prezbo, he was bad police out of his depth at the beginning of the show when he blinds a kid, then through the next couple of seasons he finally finds his place in the dept. & becomes a valuable member of the team. It is then when he kills the undercover cop & then his past indiscretions catch up with him & he "loses" his job( he deserved to be sacked at the beginning but didn't when he actually did get sacked)

tnsply100

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
So why were they pretending to build churches with the money?

No - of course not. If person A tells you to use person B to launder money, person A didn't launder your money.

Again read what I wrote, he was about to receive a much larger sum from selling the connect to the collective, this needed to be cleaned( regardless of semantics, the dirty money was cleaned via Prop Joe's contacts)
And Prop Joe's contact wasn't dead. Marlo had an independent relationship with him. You think Marlo doesn't know how to donate to a church he ALREADY made a donation to? Marlo independently verified that the money was in the Bank. He knew how to launder money.

So why the fuck did he go to Prop Joe in the 1st place?
To get info on HOW to store money. He learned how.

So you think a more plausible plotline for Marlo would have been him retiring to look after his pigeons?
If he so chose. Whatever plotline was chosen, the writers need justification to back it up. They didn't provide a justification/foundation to have Marlo talking to developers.

He didn't "suddenly" wake up & leave the game, he was forced to, remind me who was it who negotiated his release?
A lawyer negotiated his release. Not a mentor with which he discussed "where do I go in life from here"..

Just like real people act, right?
Most sane people have justification for meeting developers when you know nothing about them. Marlo wasn't insane.

There is nothing sudden about what happened to Prezbo, he was bad police out of his depth at the beginning of the show when he blinds a kid, then through the next couple of seasons he finally finds his place in the dept. & becomes a valuable member of the team. It is then when he kills the undercover cop & then his past indiscretions catch up with him & he "loses" his job( he deserved to be sacked at the beginning but didn't when he actually did get sacked)

Again, you completely miss the point. At what point did Prez make his intentions known that he wanted to be a teacher? Is there a tendency for killer ex cops to become teachers? No. The writers needed to provide a reasonable justification why the character turned to schools other than "we wanted to make s4 about schools".

tnsply100

Banned
dave is ok said:
Your quote was that Prop Joe NEVER laundered money for Marlo, the scene I linked clearly shows him doing just that. He even says 'This guy is one of three people I visit who clean my money'.

Yeah.. its the GUY that cleans the money - not Joe.

Both Marlo and Joe used the same guy to clean their money. That does NOT mean Joe laundered money for Marlo. Joe did NOT receive Marlo's money at any point.

This is like telling me Prop Joe was a part of Marlo's legal team just because Joe lead Marlo to Levy.

tnsply100

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
It's closed minded, simple stuff. Prez becoming a security guard for instance would make little to no sense.

And yet I'm perfectly sure if Simon had chosen to give Prez a job with a security company you would've defended it with "no shit sherlock, that's what ex cops do".

Hindsight is always 20/20.

tnsply100 said:
Yeah.. its the GUY that cleans the money - not Joe.

Both Marlo and Joe used the same guy to clean their money. That does NOT mean Joe laundered money for Marlo.

This is like telling me Prop Joe was a part of Marlo's legal team just because Joe lead Marlo to Levy.

The semantics are laughable. You know exactly what he's talking about yet play games. Your very first argument was that Joe never laundered, he pointed Marlo to off shore accounts - suggesting no laundering took place. Now you say he never laundered, he pointed Marlo to someone who laundered the money for him. Hilarious

tnsply100 said:
And yet I'm perfectly sure if Simon had chosen to give Prez a job with a security company you would've defended it with "no shit sherlock, that's what ex cops do".

Hindsight is always 20/20.

It would have been unlikely Prez could even get such a job, and given what happened to him it's doubtful he'd want it. That's the point I'm making.

tnsply100

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
The semantics are laughable. You know exactly what he's talking about yet play games. Your very first argument was that Joe never laundered, he pointed Marlo to off shore accounts - suggesting no laundering took place. Now you say he never laundered, he pointed Marlo to someone who laundered the money for him. Hilarious

"pointing Marlo to offshore accounts" for the purpose of laundering is not the same as "laundering". I'm not sure what "suggestions" pop into your brain - but Prop Joe's death had NOTHING to do with seeking out developers.

Prop Joe was killed off at the end of the fourth episode of the season. Marlo seeks developers at the end of the 10th. Trying to link the two is idiotic given the fact that the actual launderer was alive.

Mumei

There was nothing out of the ordinary about Prez becoming a teacher. He lost his job because he shot another officer. It was night, misidentification, a Prez's incompetence in the field. Calling him a killer cop is more than a bit unfair. Over the course of the previous three seasons he'd become a much better person.

It doesn't matter that Prez did not make his intentions known that he wanted to become a teacher. It was a sudden change for him, and becoming a teacher is a reasonable career choice for him now that he has lost his job as an officer. The writes aren't necessarily obliged to have a scene where he says he wants to become a teacher for this reason or that reason. Perhaps being mentored by Lester meant something to him and he wanted to teach. Maybe he felt guilty about pistol-whipping the kid near the beginning of season 1. Maybe it was common for cops to become teachers in the area. Maybe it was a bit of art imitating life, with Prez's path of being a homicide detective and then becoming a teacher mimicking Ed Burns, co-creator of The Wire, who was a homicide detective for twenty years and then became a seventh-grade teacher for the next seven years.

tnsply, you seem to have this pattern of having the show... go over your head. It's hard to think of claims that you've made that aren't wrong - and not just wrong, but sometimes the complete opposite of what would be correct.

And when you are technically right (e.g. Joe not being the one to clean the money; that he merely directed Marlo to someone who could do it), it's pedantic; Prop Joe at the very least introduced Marlo to the concept of money laundering and got him started.

tnsply100 said:
Again, you completely miss the point. At what point did Prez make his intentions known that he wanted to be a teacher? Is there a tendency for killer ex cops to become teachers? No. The writers needed to provide a reasonable justification why the character turned to schools other than "we wanted to make s4 about schools".
Why does he have to announce his intention to be a teacher? Why does he have to land some place where killer ex cops have a "tendency" to land. isnt it enough that it's an implied act of penance? does it have to fucking correspond to your arbitrary standards or expectations of where killer ex cops end up?

tnsply100

Banned
Mumei said:
Over the course of the previous three seasons he'd become a much better person.

Oh spare me. Just because the little shit figures out some beeper codes and starts taking some advice from Freamon on how to be a better cop, he's "become a much better person"? (fair enough, he did seem to genuinely care about kids in Season 4)

If you were asked at the end of Season 3, where Prez was going to end up, "I know, he'll start teaching kids" would've been seen as ridiculous response. The writers have a habit of putting characters in places simply to match what their intended future plot or theme needs.

I'm sure you people will have some absolutely brilliant way of defending of how damn near everyone ends up in one single Baltimore middle school? Prez, Colvin, Bubbles (with Sherrod), Cutty, Cutty's wife ..... out of the freaking hundreds of schools in Baltimore, these characters with previous connections (maybe one or two degrees of separation). just happen to *independently* converge in one school. Pretty "hyper realistic" show.....

tnsply, you seem to have this pattern of having the show... go over your head. It's hard to think of claims that you've made that are wrong - and not just wrong, but sometimes the complete opposite of what would be correct.
You're free to ignore me, of course if its "hard to think of the claims I'm making".

And when you are technically right (e.g. Joe not being the one to clean the money; that he merely directed Marlo to someone who could do it), it's pedantic; Prop Joe at the very least introduced Marlo to the concept of money laundering and got him started.

Did you read the whole conversation? The intention in decoupling Joe from the laundering was to simply focus on the fact that his death in the 4th episode in no way affected Marlo approaching developers at the end of the tenth episode - months later.

Acid08

Banned
tnsply100 said:
I'm sure you people will have some absolutely brilliant way of defending of how damn near everyone ends up in one single Baltimore middle school? Prez, Colvin, Bubbles (with Sherrod), Cutty, Cutty's wife ..... out of the freaking hundreds of schools in Baltimore, these characters with previous connections (maybe one or two degrees of separation). just happen to *independently* converge in one school. Pretty "hyper realistic" show.....
Yeah, so crazy how all these kids that live in the same neighborhood go to the same school. Unheard of.

tnsply100

Banned
Acid08 said:
Yeah, so crazy how all these kids that live in the same neighborhood go to the same school. Unheard of.

Try thinking about the character's I named...

Prez who has no previous intention of even teaching.. ends up at a school X.
Cutty, a target that Prez investigated, independently just happens to end up at school X.
Cutty's wife.... just transfers to school X for no fucking reason...
Colvin who got intel from Prez group about dealers ...... also ends up at school X
Bubbles... yup .. you guessed it... school X.

They make INDEPENDENT decisions after having been closely connected in the past to just land at 1 damn school out of hundreds.
Pretty fucking realistic show.. right?

Mumei

tnsply100 said:
Oh spare me. Just because the little shit figures out some beeper codes and starts taking some advice from Freamon on how to be a better cop, he's "become a much better person"? (fair enough, he did seem to genuinely care about kids in Season 4)

Yes, he had. Both he and Carver became much better people over the course of the series.

If you were asked at the end of Season 3, where Prez was going to end up, "I know, he'll start teaching kids" would've been seen as ridiculous response. The writers have a habit of putting characters in places simply to match what their intended future plot or theme needs.

I'm sure you people will have some absolutely brilliant way of defending of how damn near everyone ends up in one single Baltimore middle school? Prez, Colvin, Bubbles (with Sherrod), Cutty, Cutty's wife ..... out of the freaking hundreds of schools in Baltimore, these characters with previous connections (maybe one or two degrees of separation). just happen to converge in one school. Pretty "hyper realistic" show.....

Was there anything out of the ordinary or impossible about what happened to cause that situation to happen? Was there anything contrived about it? I'm trying to think of what you find objectionable about what you described.

You're free to ignore me, of course if its "hard to think of the claims I'm making".

This is symptomatic of the problem I've been having. I did not say that it was hard to think of the claim claims that you're making. I said that it was hard to think of claims that you were making that are wrong. Now, I misspoke there; I meant to say that it was hard to think of claims that you've made that aren't wrong.

The problem I've been having is that you seem to rely on incomplete understandings of things. You come to a conclusion, find the information that seems to bolster it, and ignore all of the information that points to a different conclusion. For instance, during the argument where you suggested that season 1 was merely meant to be a police procedural (it wasn't; season one was about the dysfunction of the drug war and introduced the continuing them of self-sustaining postmodern institutions that devoured the individuals they served or were served by), because you had a shallow understanding of what you were watching as being "cops vs robbers." You thought you were watching a mere police procedural, you saw some elements that appear in both The Wire and police procedurals, and you refused to see the larger picture. I think that your objection to Prez is similar; you seem to have identified him as being a bad person (a "little shit" and "killer ex cop" do not bespeak high esteem, anyway), and so you object to him becoming a teacher without seeing the larger picture of his evolution as a character.

And you read a fragment of a sentence I wrote and quote only up to that point, ignoring the larger context.

tnsply100

Banned
Mumei said:
Yes, he had. Both he and Carver became much better people over the course of the series.
I won't address Carver, but I see nothing in the show that makes me think Prez became a better person (until close of S3). I don't see any indication of sincere remorse for blinding the kid, and its perfectly obvious that his temper is uncontrolled (he punched Valchek.. I know he deserved it.. but still).
Please provide a list of items that Prez does until Season 3's close that indicates his character has improved. (and no, becoming useful to the investigation and taking advice from Freamon on cop issues does not count).

Was there anything out of the ordinary or impossible about what happened to cause that situation to happen? Was there anything contrived about it? I'm trying to think of what you find objectionable about what you described.

What are the chances of five people independently picking a number from 1-200 and coming up with the same one? (the odds here are worse then the above situation.. but lets stick with this as a reasonable simulation). Its basically approaching mathematical impossibility.

This is symptomatic of the problem I've been having. I did not say that it was hard to think of the claim claims that you're making. I said that it was hard to think of claims that you were making that are wrong.

I know what you said - my intention was to make it clear that nothing I say here (right or wrong) should cause any mental burden to you. If it does, I suggest just ignoring me. When people say "its hard to think of X", I tend to think there is some harm/strain. This is just a meaningless conversation with a potential forum troll.

For instance, during the argument where you suggested that season 1 was merely meant to be a police procedural (it wasn't; season one was about the dysfunction of the drug war and introduced the continuing them of self-sustaining postmodern institutions that devoured the individuals they served or were served by), because you had a shallow understanding of what you were watching as being "cops vs robbers." You thought you were watching a mere police procedural, you saw some elements that appear in both The Wire and police procedurals, and you refused to see the larger picture.

I stopped addressing this line of argument because it would involve repetition that would only go nowhere. Themes need to be completely ignored when trying to classify a show - only plot elements should be considered. I could just as easily pick one or more Law and order/Homicide/etc episodes and point out the very theme you've described. I deal with concrete plot - and as far as plot is concerned, I saw a wiretap case with incompetent bosses, snitches, smart criminals, and deep plot complexity - I call that a police procedural. Showing that a police case failed to make any real dent in the drug business is NOT beyond the scope of police procedurals - several Law and Order episodes do this.
If we keep obfuscating the discussion by bringing in talk of themes - we'll get nowhere.

Yes, it is a police procedural, but it is not a normal procedural. Furthermore, having several characters related to a single school is a bit contrived, but it's a goddamn fictional story; the writers can claim artistic license. Prezbo obviously became a better person when he became more experienced as a teacher. At the end of the series, you could tell that he is much more wise and experienced. In the first season, he blinded a kid because he was trying to be just like Herc and Carver, but by the fifth season, he had finally come into his own. Him breaking the codes and Freamon teaching him helped him gain confidence in his abilities. Sure, he fucked up every once in a while, but he is still a better person.

tnsply100

Banned
heliosRAzi said:
Prezbo obviously became a better person when he became more experienced as a teacher. At the end of the series, you could tell that he is much more wise and experienced. In the first season, he blinded a kid because he was trying to be just like Herc and Carver, but by the fifth season, he had finally come into his own. Him breaking the codes and Freamon teaching him helped him gain confidence in his abilities. Sure, he fucked up every once in a while, but he is still a better person.

Please read the post I replied to - the other poster is claiming he had already become a better person over the previous 3 seasons (pre S4). I've asked for a list of items that indicate this.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
tnsply100 said:
Please read the post I replied to - the other poster is claiming he had already become a better person over the previous 3 seasons (pre S4). I've asked for a list of items that indicate this.
Prez pistol whipping a kid in S1 is a valid complaint with the show. It seemed pretty out of character for what he eventually became, even early on.

tnsply100 said:
"pointing Marlo to offshore accounts" for the purpose of laundering is not the same as "laundering". I'm not sure what "suggestions" pop into your brain - but Prop Joe's death had NOTHING to do with seeking out developers.

If Prop Joe had nothing to do with the laundering, what was the fee he waived because Marlo was part of the collective for?

A lawyer negotiated his release. Not a mentor with which he discussed "where do I go in life from here"..

If you think Levy was merely a lawyer you (once again) are missing the point, Levy was caught bribing somebody for leaked testimonies, he was as deep in the game as Marlo. Add that to the fact that we know he has previously advised dealers to invest in property/ politicians(its what he did before, then its hardly a stretch to think he would do so again.

Prez pistol whipping a kid in S1 is a valid complaint with the show. It seemed pretty out of character for what he eventually became, even early on.

He was trying to act like "real" police because even early on in the show it was pretty obvious that at the time Prez was useless & living of nepotism.

tnsply100

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
If Prop Joe had nothing to do with the laundering, what was the fee he waived because Marlo was part of the collective for?

I'm going to confess to fully drawing a blank here. The only fee that Joe waived that I can recall was when Marlo needed cash that looked nice to pay the Greek - fee was waived because Marlo was a part of the coop. Marlo gave Joe dirty looking bills, and Joe within the day gave Marlo clean looking bills of the same amount. This didn't have anything to with laundering money with the offshore construction... Please let me know which episode you're referring to.

If you think Levy was merely a lawyer you (once again) are missing the point, Levy was caught bribing somebody for leaked testimonies, he was as deep in the game as Marlo. Add that to the fact that we know he has previously advised dealers to invest in property/ politicians(its what he did before, then its hardly a stretch to think he would do so again.
None of which shows that Marlo was at a loss as to what to do with his money and needed advice from Levy.

Zeliard

dave is ok said:

It wasn't out of character at all. The point was to help show that on the streets Prez was a horribly incompetent police officer, a product of nepotism. He wasn't able to keep self-control, he was extremely fearful and on-edge, and he basically wasn't good for anything more than a desk job (which is where he eventually helps out the wiretap). He couldn't handle the life; later on he'll shoot a black undercover cop.

He's much more successful as a teacher in later seasons because he doesn't have to deal with life and death situations, which he's ill-equipped for. He also had it out with his father, becoming a stronger individual person, and by Season 4 Prez has learned from his past mistakes and found his niche in life. There's a pretty clear progression with the character.

tnsply100 said:
I'm going to confess to fully drawing a blank here. The only fee that Joe waived that I can recall was when Marlo needed cash that looked nice to pay the Greek - fee was waived because Marlo was a part of the coop. Marlo gave Joe dirty looking bills, and Joe within the day gave Marlo clean looking bills of the same amount. This didn't have anything to with laundering money with the offshore construction... Please let me know which episode you're referring to.

Thats what I'm referring to, where you think Prop Joe got that money from?

None of which shows that Marlo was at a loss as to what to do with his money and needed advice from Levy.

Again I never said he needed the advice, but Levy certainly would have offered it.

tnsply100

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
Thats what I'm referring to, where you think Prop Joe got that money from?

..... dark side of the moon?

I don't know, and neither do you.

Again I never said he needed the advice, but Levy certainly would have offered it.

Forgive me for not buying your predictions on Levy possibly providing advice to Marlo, and Marlo actually taking it (and this being the reason why Marlo ended up at the developer meeting).

MMaRsu

Banned
dave is ok said:

Don't forget there were a shitload of beer cans near the car before they left off to go towards the towers. He could have been shitfaced and/or trying to fit in by acting like a tough guy ( which he obviously isn't ).

By the way, I can't believe you guys are still arguing with this guy..

Mumei

tnsply100 said:
I won't address Carver, but I see nothing in the show that makes me think Prez became a better person (until close of S3). I don't see any indication of sincere remorse for blinding the kid, and its perfectly obvious that his temper is uncontrolled (he punched Valchek.. I know he deserved it.. but still).
Please provide a list of items that Prez does until Season 3's close that indicates his character has improved. (and no, becoming useful to the investigation and taking advice from Freamon on cop issues does not count(.

You need to rewatch the series, then. Compare Prez at the beginning of Season 1 to even the start of Season 2, and he's not the same person he was.

What are the chances of five people independently picking a number from 1-200 and coming up with the same one? (the odds here are worse then the above situation.. but lets stick with this as a reasonable simulation).

Picking numbers at random and coming up with the same number is not equivalent to what happened here.

Prez became a teacher at a Baltimore public school. Unless you can think of a reason why it is unreasonable for him to have become a public teacher - and you haven't; your objection amounts to little more than a whine that you don't understand. I don't recall how Cutty ended up at the school or when Prez investigated him; Cutty was just getting out of prison after a fourteen year prison sentence. For an black ex-felon to move back into a poor black neighborhood is not exactly shocking or surprising. And Cutty wasn't married; his ex-girlfriend had become a school teacher in the fourteen years they'd been separated. She was the teacher there before Cutty was released; it wasn't some sudden transfer. She was teaching there before Prez began teaching; she helped him out early on. Judging from that, it's possible that Cutty was simply moving back into the area he lived before he went to prison and his ex-girlfriend was teaching in that area because, you know, she lived there. So nothing objectionable about those two.

Colvin was introduced by the Deacon to the academic who was trying to look at repeat violent offenders; Colvin convinced him that they'd need to look at younger kids to effect any change. According to the Wiki, Colvin actually suggests Tilghman MS, though I don't recall if that is accurate.

And Bubbles is something of a vagrant, so the show can have him move from place to place and not have it be unrealistic.

A few perfectly reasonable occurences, a few possibly convenient coincidences, and nothing that couldn't happen in reality. What is your objection?

I know what you said - my intention was to make it clear that nothing I say here (right or wrong) should cause any mental burden to you. If it does, I suggest just ignoring me. When people say "its hard to think of X", I tend to think there is some harm/strain. This is just a meaningless conversation with a potential forum troll.

Are you identifying me as a forum troll?

Really?

I stopped addressing this line of argument because it would involve repetition that would only go nowhere. Themes need to be completely ignored when trying to classify a show - only plot elements should be considered. I could just as easily pick one or more Law and order/Homicide/etc episodes and point out the very theme you've described. I deal with concrete plot - and as far as plot is concerned, I saw a wiretap case with incompetent bosses, snitches, smart criminals, and deep plot complexity - I call that a police procedural. Showing that a police case failed to make any real dent in the drug business is NOT beyond the scope of police procedurals - several Law and Order episodes do this.

If we keep obfuscating the discussion by bringing in talk of themes - we'll get nowhere.

There's nothing obfuscating about talk about themes. The theme is the unifying subject of the story; if you don't understand and cannot correctly identify the themes in a story, you don't have a complete understanding of that story.

I think we need to differentiate between an episodic police procedural like Law & Order and a serialized series like The Wire. In L&O, they are usually taking a case from real life and fictionalizing it. They usually have scenes where the characters (who have developed pre-defined roles; you know that Character A will be arguing one position, Character B will argue another, etc.) will have expository dialogue explaining the issue and the arguments. But there is nothing that unifies that entire series, no larger message intended for the audience. L&O is about idealized detectives in an idealized system that usually works. There's nothing beyond that. There isn't really a theme beyond "we're trying to imitate a case from real life."

While some plot elements exist in both, The Wire is about something larger than the individual plot points. The serialized nature of the series allows the show to build on itself, so that it becomes more than the sum of its parts. In Season 1, for instance, there are individual plot lines that could generally be seen in Law & Order. The elements about bosses being generally corrupt is a stretch; in the Law & Order series, institutions, the people they served and are served by are generally shown to be benign, even inherently good, even though there are occasionally episodes with exceptions. Even those episodes portray those as being the exception to the rule. And Law & Order does not have deep plot complexity. And Law & Order does not portray getting a wire as being a particularly difficult task. But let's agree that your claim that smart criminals and showing how a police investigation failed to dent the drug trade are elements that could be found in Law & Order. However, The Wire's first season is also about something larger - the way that postmodern institutions devour those they are supposed to serve or who serve them. It's the way that the war on drugs ends up victimizing those it is supposed to be benefiting, how the system punishes those who try to do the right thing (even for the wrong reasons), and how institutions seem to take on a life of their own. These are elements that are built up over the course of the season and aren't generally portrayed in normal police procedurals.

Even when they occasionally appear in L&O, they are shown as anomalies. L&O portrays a system that works and is self-correcting; The Wire portrays a system that is broken and beyond fixing.

And really, I have to ask again: Where you really trying to call me a troll?

tnsply100

Banned
Mumei said:
And really, I have to ask again: Where you really trying to call me a troll?

LOL. Sorry I have to laugh at this.

I was painting myself a "potential forum troll" from yours (and other people here apparently) point of view. My post was telling you to ignore me if thinking about my ideas (right or wrong) was causing you some strain. From your POV, I'm nothing more than a potential forum troll - nothing to get worked up over.

Will respond to your post later.

tnsply100 said:
..... dark side of the moon?

I don't know, and neither do you.
wire-s5-logo.jpg

Forgive me for not buying your predictions on Levy possibly providing advice to Marlo, and Marlo actually taking it (and this being the reason why Marlo ended up at the developer meeting).

Give me a reason why this isn't a plausible set of events (It's a lot more plausible than Marlo gambles/raises pigeons for the rest of his life)

Mumei

tnsply100 said:
LOL. Sorry I have to laugh at this.

I was painting myself a "potential forum troll" from yours (and other people here apparently) point of view. My post was telling you to ignore me if thinking about my ideas (right or wrong) was causing you some strain. From your POV, I'm nothing more than a potential forum troll - nothing to get worked up over.

Will respond to your post later.

Ohhh.

Well, no. I don't think you're a troll. Just so very wrong.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
tnsply100 said:
I really should. Someone needs to crusade to try and reduce the amount of fellatio David Simon gets on online forums/magazines.

Why not contact David Simon himself and debate him, one on one, to prove why his show is not up to your standards?

tnsply100

Banned
BorkBork said:
Why not contact David Simon himself and debate him, one on one, to prove why his show is not up to your standards?

I don't spam people with unsolicited email. He can seek out online forums himself if he wants feedback/debate from random people.

tnsply100

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
Give me a reason why this isn't a plausible set of events (It's a lot more plausible than Marlo gambles/raises pigeons for the rest of his life)

I can see this spiraling into a semantic argument about the word 'plausible'. So, let me say this -

It is NOT the viewer's job to try and conjure up possible event B's that could logically have linked plot event A to plot event C. It's the writer's job to provide event B himself on screen or lay down a foundation so that viewers can conclude beyond a reasonable doubt that event B must have happened.

The writers did neither of the above. At least if Marlo's final scene had been him gambling in Atlantic city, it would've made perfect sense - he was obviously planning to visit there for fun. So, they laid the foundation for having him gamble or taking care of pigeons (based on numerous scenes). But they did NOT lay down any foundation for him talking to developers.

Is Levy making the suggestion to Marlo, and Marlo listening to it is possible? Yes. Its also possible that Marlo heard voices from God that told him to become a developer.

Does the presence of a possible explanation excuse the lack of foundation in the jump from plot event A to event C? Absolutely not.

tnsply100 said:
I can see this spiraling into a semantic argument about the word 'plausible'. So, let me say this -

It is NOT the viewer's job to try and conjure up possible event B's that could logically have linked plot event A to plot event C. It's the writer's job to provide event B himself on screen or lay down a foundation so that viewers can conclude beyond a reasonable doubt that event B must have happened.

The writers did neither of the above. At least if Marlo's final scene had been him gambling in Atlantic city, it would've made perfect sense - he was obviously planning to visit there for fun. So, they laid the foundation for having him gamble or taking care of pigeons (based on numerous scenes). But they did NOT lay down any foundation for him talking to developers.

Is Levy making the suggestion to Marlo, and Marlo listening to it is possible? Yes. Its also possible that Marlo heard voices from God that told him to become a developer.

Does the presence of a possible explanation excuse the lack of foundation in the jump from plot event A to event C? Absolutely not.

Marlo's final scene, and the montage, were all projections of future events. They were not happening concurrently, and the were just to show the destinations of those characters, the routines they were going to fall into. Why isn't likely Marlo wouldn't fall into the same honeytrap Stringer did? We ALREADY saw how Stringer went from money-man to property invester A to C through B, they were just showing Marlo doing the same. Honestly, it could have been 6 months to a year after Marlo was released, you have no clue. The writers needed to give closure; this served as an epilogue. Marlo, in a casino celebrating bail is not that.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Marlo would never go to Atlantic city. That makes no sense whatsoever. Baltimore is all he knows, and all he wants.

tnsply100

Banned
BorkBork said:
Marlo would never go to Atlantic city. That makes no sense whatsoever. Baltimore is all he knows, and all he wants.

He seemed eager enough to go there with Chris. And, I'm not convinced Baltimore is "all he knows and all he wants".

tnsply100

Banned
Mumei said:
You need to rewatch the series, then. Compare Prez at the beginning of Season 1 to even the start of Season 2, and he's not the same person he was.

Yeah - he figured out he enjoyed doing certain types of police work. I asked you for a list of items that made you believe he was "a better person". In the beginning of S2, he punches Valchek - the bad temper is still there, and I see no indication to believe he improved or felt remorse for his screwups.

Prez became a teacher at a Baltimore public school. Unless you can think of a reason why it is unreasonable for him to have become a public teacher - and you haven't; your objection amounts to little more than a whine that you don't understand.
Out of the hundreds of vocations he could have selected, and out of the hundreds of schools he could've ended up at, he just happens to land at the school that Bubbles, Colvin, Cutty will end up at - all characters he was connected to previously in his life. This isn't reasonable in the least.

I don't recall how Cutty ended up at the school or when Prez investigated him; Cutty was just getting out of prison after a fourteen year prison sentence. For an black ex-felon to move back into a poor black neighborhood is not exactly shocking or surprising.
No.. Cutty was a part of the crew that Prez wiretapped. He quit - but that's irrelevant.
He magically gets contacted by the Deacon who just happens to find a job at school that will have Prez (a cop who went after him) and his wife/gf.

And Cutty wasn't married; his ex-girlfriend had become a school teacher in the fourteen years they'd been separated.
Fair enough - but ultimately doesn't change the argument.
She was the teacher there before Cutty was released; it wasn't some sudden transfer. She was teaching there before Prez began teaching; she helped him out early on.
And how convenient that she transfers to the exact same school that the Deacon will find him a job at.
Judging from that, it's possible that Cutty was simply moving back into the area he lived before he went to prison and his ex-girlfriend was teaching in that area because, you know, she lived there. So nothing objectionable about those two.
Very objectionable - The teacher TRANSFERRED there from another school. She told Cutty she transfered there from a different school... it was new info for Cutty.

Colvin was introduced by the Deacon to the academic who was trying to look at repeat violent offenders; Colvin convinced him that they'd need to look at younger kids to effect any change. According to the Wiki, Colvin actually suggests Tilghman MS, though I don't recall if that is accurate.
I think it might have been Carver who suggested it - after they figured out high school was too "seasoned". Either way, how freaking convenient that Colvin, who gathered intel from Prez's unit, just happens to get called into a job that involves schools, and viola, picks the exact same damn school out of hundreds to go to.

And Bubbles is something of a vagrant, so the show can have him move from place to place and not have it be unrealistic.
Except that he takes Sherrod to the exact same place where the cop he worked with happens to be exploring his new found love for teaching and kids.

A few perfectly reasonable occurences, a few possibly convenient coincidences, and nothing that couldn't happen in reality. What is your objection?

Out of all the jobs Prez, Cutty, Colvin (NONE of whom had any pre-Season 4 intention even working at a school) magically find themselves working at schools. And out of the hundreds they could end up with, they pick 1 single school where Cutty's girlfriend magically transfers to. And to top it off Bubbles, just happens to take in a new kid of a perfect age - and of course, picks the exact same school to send him where his Buddy Prez and acquaintance Colvin picked.

Five *PREVIOUSLY CONNECTED* characters made *INDEPENDENT* decisions to go to a single school out of hundreds of Baltimore schools (when four of them had NOTHING to do with schools before the season began).

If you call that "reasaonable", I can't say anymore.

tnsply100 said:

There is no evidence of God speaking to anybody in The Wire, Levy has previously advised drug dealers (like Marlo) to invest money in property, there is no "lack of foundation" unless you explicitly want everything spelt out for you.

Yeah - he figured out he enjoyed doing certain types of police work. I asked you for a list of items that made you believe he was "a better person". In the beginning of S2, he punches Valchek - the bad temper is still there, and I see no indication to believe he improved or felt remorse for his screwups.

If you think honestly punching Valchek(who quite clearly deserved it) & pistol whipping the kid somehow equates to the same thing & therefore shows no difference in his character, there is not much I can say, & as for showing no remorse, he clearly did(on more than one occasion). Once he found his role in the dept. he no longer had a point to prove anymore(the reason the pistol whipping happened)

No.. Cutty was a part of the crew that Prez wiretapped. He quit - but that's irrelevant.
He magically gets contacted by the Deacon who just happens to find a job at school that will have Prez (a cop who went after him) and his wife/gf.

Yeah, real magical that a community leader would try & help someone doing positive work within the community(& its unrealistic that the job found woud be in the same community, right?)

And how convenient that she transfers to the exact same school that the Deacon will find him a job at.

No-one ever wants to go back to where they came from?

I think it might have been Carver who suggested it - after they figured out high school was too "seasoned". Either way, how freaking convenient that Colvin, who gathered intel from Prez's unit, just happens to get called into a job that involves schools, and viola, picks the exact same damn school out of hundreds to go to.

If Carver suggested it obviously he would suggest a school in his district where he knows some of the kids & more importantly knows that plenty of runners would be supposed to attend there.

Out of all the jobs Prez, Cutty, Colvin (NONE of whom had any pre-Season 4 intention even working at a school) magically find themselves working at schools

2 of those had jobs for life (or so they thought at the time) so why would they mention wanting a different job? That would have been woeful writing(although its probably the type of thing you would like). As for Cutty he was an ex- jailbird trying to go straight, he didn't care what he had to do for money(as long as it was legal)

I agree though it is shocking that so many people who either lived or/& worked in the same area of B'more ended up in the same school, shocking. I mean surely Prezbo should have become a crossword setter for the Post, Bunny should have worked in a school near his house(plenty of runners there I'm sure) & Cutty would never want to work near his ex-wife he still had feelings for would he?

Haunted

The greatest serious TV show I've ever watched.

I don't have any interest in other, lesser shows with similar themes. I used to watch the occasional CSI/NCIS/Law & Order/Criminal Intent what have you. Can't stomach more than 5 minutes of that anymore.

It's a truly enlightening show.

tnsply100 said:
I can't say anymore.

I really doubt this...

Cerebral Assassin said:
...unless you explicitly want everything spelt out for you.

Sadly it sounds like this is exactly what he wanted from The Wire. His complaints are all about Prez not saying flat out he wanted to teach. Or Marlo not verbaly explaining why he went to the business get together.

David Simon has said he is not going to hold your hand through the show, I have never come across soemone who would actually complain about this before.

tnsply100

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
There is no evidence of God speaking to anybody in The Wire, Levy has previously advised drug dealers (like Marlo) to invest money in property, there is no "lack of foundation" unless you explicitly want everything spelt out for you.

There is no evidence of Levy making any suggestion to Marlo and Marlo taking Levy's unsolicited advice on where to put money either.
Levy helped out Stringer who WANTED to go into development. Show me where Levy approached a drug dealer and started giving unsolicited advice to the drug dealer as to where the dealer should put his money.

If you think honestly punching Valchek(who quite clearly deserved it) & pistol whipping the kid somehow equates to the same thing & therefore shows no difference in his character, there is not much I can say,
It shows a lack of self control.

& as for showing no remorse, he clearly did(on more than one occasion).
List of incidents that demonstrate the remorse shown please? I've asked for this a third time now (you and the other poster) and all I keep hearing is "he obviously changed". I want a list of incidents from S1 to S3 to back this claim up. If its so "obvious" and "clear" it should be very trivial for you to show me a list of incidents where Prez was remorseful. Lets see the list.

Yeah, real magical that a community leader would try & help someone doing positive work within the community(& its unrealistic that the job found woud be in the same community, right?)
No.. its unrealistic that that the community leader happens to find a job related to schools, and out of the hundreds of schools in Baltimore, at the very same one that his girlfriend transferred to, as well as a cop who was wiretapped his crew.

No-one ever wants to go back to where they came from?
She WAS where 'she was from'. She magically transferred after Cutty went away, and had the brilliant foresight to end up in the exact same school that a completely unrelated Deacon just happens to find a school job for Cutty in after 14 years in prison. Imagine the odds of that - out of the hundreds of schools in Baltimore she could've transferred to - and of the hundreds (thousands) of odds and ends jobs the deacon could've gotten for Cutty.

If Carver suggested it obviously he would suggest a school in his district where he knows some of the kids & more importantly knows that plenty of runners would be supposed to attend there.
And? Do you know how many schools are there in Baltimore? Hundreds. Colvin just happens to end up in a job that requires dealing with schools? And not just that - gets pointed to the one school where he'll meet Prez and Bubbles again? Bullcrap.

2 of those had jobs for life (or so they thought at the time) so why would they mention wanting a different job? That would have been woeful writing(although its probably the type of thing you would like). As for Cutty he was an ex- jailbird trying to go straight, he didn't care what he had to do for money(as long as it was legal)

The point of saying that they had no prior inclination of school related jobs is to enforce that they could've just as easily ended up in other careers - which makes the odds exponentially worse. They just HAPPENED to end up working with schools for the purposes of making all the characters meet in one school out of hundreds.

Pretty freakin "hyper realistic" show - manipulating characters like that.

Drewsky

tnsply100 said:
No. I "get it". Its just that I don't give a crap about why black kids are turning to crime. I was interested in seeing cops go after criminals (a reason expectation given the name of the show and S1). If the show had been advertised like Boston Public, I would've known never to turn in. I'm simply not interested.

If I had a genuine interest in the ills of urban society, I'd watch real documentaries, not some fictionalized leftist propoganda from Simon.
I wondered what the fuck happened in this thread so I searched back, found this post, and realized. I'm not interested in reading anymore.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
We should all just let this thread die, after making a mental note to troll the hell out of tnsply in the next cop show thread where the bad guy is an unrealistic one dimensional villian and gets a life sentence at the end of every episode.

Calling The Wire leftist propaganda is ridiculous. Every other cop show is right wing propaganda by that standard

tnsply100

Banned
dave is ok said:
Calling The Wire leftist propaganda is ridiculous. Every other cop show is right wing propaganda by that standard

Yeah.. how dare Law and Order not show that legalizing drugs leads to miraculous crime rate declines. Clearly fox news type, conservative, drivel.

UrbanRats

Ordered the entire series on Amazon.it on monday, we'll see how it goes.
I've never heard a complaint on it, so i guess it's a guaranteed hit.

Mumei

tnsply100 said:
List of incidents that demonstrate the remorse shown please? I've asked for this a third time now (you and the other poster) and all I keep hearing is "he obviously changed". I want a list of incidents from S1 to S3 to back this claim up. If its so "obvious" and "clear" it should be very trivial for you to show me a list of incidents where Prez was remorseful. Lets see the list.

You couldn't see that he was remorseful when the kid was in the same room as him? His body language and discomfort didn't communicate that to you?

Drewsky

tnsply100 said:
Yeah.. how dare Law and Order not show that legalizing drugs leads to miraculous crime rate declines. Clearly fox news type, conservative, drivel.
They clearly show the negatives to Colvin legalizing drugs too. There's a shot of some obviously middle class teenage girls buying heroin if I remember correctly.

tnsply100

Banned
Mumei said:
You couldn't see that he was remorseful when the kid was in the same room as him? His body language and discomfort didn't communicate that to you?

He went to Daniels to tell him that it was the same kid from what I recall. And couldn't "look at him" - from the kids own quote. You can interpret that whatever way you like. I certainly don't call not wanting to look at your victim remorse.

A simple "sorry" of course was out of the question....and no chance of him rescinding his (Daniels) invented fiction of the kid threatening him.

They clearly show the negatives to Colvin legalizing drugs too. There's a shot of some obviously middle class teenage girls buying heroin if I remember correctly.

Spare me. Colvin was portrayed as the martyr whose "reform was crushed by the horrible institutions who swallow individuals".

tnsply100 said:
There is no evidence of Levy making any suggestion to Marlo or Marlo Levy's advice on where to put money either.
Levy helped out Stringer who WANTED to go into development. Show me where Levy approached a drug dealer and started giving unsolicited advice to the drug dealer as to where the dealer should put his money.
Show me where Stringer approached Levy?

It shows a lack of self control.
It also showed bravery & trying to stand up for what he believed in, completely unlike the pistol-whipping(which is why equting the 2 incidents is foolish)
List of incidents that demonstrate the remorse shown please?

Seriously? Show me a list of incidents where a lack of remorse is shown?

No.. its unrealistic that that the community leader happens to find a job related to schools, and out of the hundreds of schools in Baltimore, at the very same one that his girlfriend transferred to, as well as a cop who was wiretapped his crew.

You think its unrealistic for a community leader to find a job within his community? Again they all worked/lived within that community, it would be unrealistic for them to randomly end up cast up & down B'more.
She WAS where 'she was from'. She magically transferred after Cutty went away, and had the brilliant foresight to end up in the exact same school that a completely unrelated Deacon just happens to find a school job for Cutty in after 14 years in prison. Imagine the odds of that - out of the hundreds of schools in Baltimore she could've transferred to - and of the hundreds (thousands) of odds and ends jobs the deacon could've gotten for Cutty.
You mean the unrelated deacon whose phone number she gave him? Did you even watch the show?

And? Do you know how many schools are there in Baltimore? Hundreds. Colvin just happens to end up in a job that requires dealing with schools? And not just that - gets pointed to the one school where he'll meet Prez and Bubbles again? Bullcrap.

Bunny didn't just happen to get a job in schools, he was asked to by the Deacon( almost as if he had some ties to the school)

The point of saying that they had no prior inclination of school related jobs is to enforce that they could've just as easily ended up in other careers - which makes the odds exponentially worse. They just HAPPENED to end up working with schools for the purposes of making all the characters meet in one school out of hundreds.

Pretty freakin "hyper realistic" show - manipulating characters like that.

so you don't know what "hyper realistic" means, figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom