• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest YouGov/Economist Poll: Majority Disapprove of Family Separation@Border But Prefer Detention

Antiochus

Some very fascinating results from the latest YouGov/Economist poll, which is a long running internet based poll surveying 1500 people periodically.
Their latest results from June 17 to June 19, 2018 are here: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/rbrysksiud/econTabReport.pdf#page89

The poll asks many, many political topics to respondents. Among them including the recent immigration crisis at the border. Here are two interesting contrasts:

When asked about specific policies on illegal family border crossing, majority (~64%) seem to prefer at minimum detention if not active jail time for family members

DgKKdy3W0AE7bTk.jpg:large

And yet, when pressed whether they "approve" or "disapprove" Trump's policy of separating illegal immigrant families, the responses swing in the opposite direction:

Overall, ~54% of all respondents either slightly or strongly disapprove of the separation policy.

Taken together, it coheres well to the long standing trend of American ambivalence and unstable mood swings when it comes to illegal immigration policy

Last edited:
Only 54%?

They literally have kids in cages living on potato chips.

I wish the media would use this to look at the entire foster system in the US (which this issue is an extension of), because I know the only reason this is getting coverage is the immigration angle. But I guess it would not matter - barely anyone seems to care about the kids :(

Top Bottom