• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latino Review Rumor: Marvel wants Jason Statham as Bullseye

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was going to 'shoot his TV wad' why would he do it for a guest shot on a Netflix show?

Why would it be a "guest shot" though?

The story doesn't hint at it being a "guest shot" role. He'd be a recurring villain, if not the main villain, knowing Bullseye.

He gets to play a role he's already said he wanted, on Netflix's most watched series, while becoming part of the Marvel U.

It depends on the check they cut him more than anything, and the schedule. But the idea that playing Bullseye is beneath him somehow at this stage in his career doesn't wash.

So being one of the main villains in a billion dollar grossing franchise is not A-List?

Transporter movies made money. I wouldn't blame him if he went back.

Yes. Statham couldn't find the a-list if you google map'd it for him.

Is Tyrese A-list? How about Ludacris?

Jarmel

Banned
Yes. Statham couldn't find the a-list if you google map'd it for him.

Is Tyrese A-list? How about Ludacris?

Well Ludacris was already very well known before he started acting and doesn't do many acting jobs. He's already rich as fuck.

Tyrese has had some big roles in major films. He doesn't do much acting either. He also does a lot of other work such as writing, both of his books were NYTimes Best Sellers.

You should know anyway that being a black man in Hollywood is vastly different than a white man and what it takes to make it there.

Ronin Ray

This wouldn't be a make or break role for him. He almost certainly has another Furious movie lined in the future.

His character was received fairly well and I'm sure is a factor into why people enjoy the movie. Would it have cleared a billion if Betty White was in the role? Probably but I don't think it would have beat Avengers. Word of mouth in regards to the quality of the movie is still important for $.

Hasn't word of mouth been its worse then 5 and 6.

Slayven

Well Ludacris was already very well known before he started acting and doesn't do many acting jobs. He's already rich as fuck.

Tyrese has had some big roles in major films. He also doesn't do much acting either. He also does a lot of other work such as writing, both of his books were NYTimes Best Sellers.

You should know anyway that being a black man in Hollywood is vastly different than a white man and what it takes to make it there.

Having read some of his books, Tyrese is an idiot.

Jarmel

Banned
Hasn't word of mouth been its worse then 5 and 6.

I personally think so but it's still seems to be generally regarded as a good action film. I also haven't seen many people criticizing Statham's role in the film. Besides the reviews for it were also pretty good.

Tyrese has had some big roles in major films. He also doesn't do much acting either. He also does a lot of other work such as writing, both of his books were NYTimes Best Sellers.

Point is that none of them are a list. They aren't major box office draws. Statham isn't going to parlay F7 into being cast as the lead in $200 million tentpole movies because studios are smart enough to know he had very little to do with the overall success of the movie. He'll go back to doing borderline direct to video action flicks.

Sam Worthingon was actually the LEAD in the highest grossing movie of all time and that hasn't saved his career from being mostly trash ever since:

Busty

Banned
Why would it be a "guest shot" though?

The story doesn't hint at it being a "guest shot" role. He'd be a recurring villain, if not the main villain, knowing Bullseye.

He gets to play a role he's already said he wanted, on Netflix's most watched series, while becoming part of the Marvel U.

It depends on the check they cut him more than anything, and the schedule. But the idea that playing Bullseye is beneath him somehow at this stage in his career doesn't wash.

Nah. That's just not true. If we're talking about this why wouldn't he take a season long guest stint on something like Gotham or The Black List. Successful shows that would give him plenty of exposure.

Given all the other options that would be available to him should he want to do TV, which is where all the growth in the industry is, why would he settle for guest shot, even if it's a season long arc, on a Netflix show?

Marvel are notoriously tight fisted and wouldn't open their check book to sign Statham if he was looking for a pay day.

Yeah maybe not the guy seems like a twit

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=121374

"A lot of the modern sort of action movies I see, you know, Marvel comic sort of things, I just think, any guy can do it. I have no ambition. I mean, I could take my grandma and put her in a cape, and then put her in a greenscreen, and then have stunt doubles come in and do all the action. Anybody can do it. I mean, they’re relying on stunt doubles, and greenscreen, and $200 million budget, it’s all CGI-created. So to me, that is not authentic. I’m inspired by old, real star guys that can really do it."

Plus he's never seen Daredevil that much is clear.

I hope Statham takes Bullseye into full-tilt MAX insanity:

punisher_max__9_-_favouritecolor.jpg

n51844f18c4103.jpg

PunisherMax9-Page15.jpg

Punisher-Max-11_panel.jpg

potw_punishermax7.jpg

Ronin Ray

Kevin Spacey and McConaughey had lead roles in major TV projects. Tom Hardy was reteaming with his Locke director for a BBC tv show that Netlfix shows in the US.

None of these are valid comparisons to doing a guest shot on the second season of a Marvel tv show.

I'm genuinely baffled that people can't see the nuance here.

Its not a guest shot he would be the second biggest character on the show and daredevil's main villain. Daredevil for what you think of the quality of the show or marvel doesn't change the fact is now a major TV project.

Jarmel

Banned
Point is that none of them are a list. They aren't major box office draws. Statham isn't going to parlay F7 into being cast as the lead in $200 million tentpole movies because studios are smart enough to know he had very little to do with the overall success of the movie. He'll go back to doing borderline direct to video action flicks.

Sam Worthingon was actually the LEAD in the highest grossing movie of all time and that hasn't saved his career from being mostly trash ever since:

They don't primarily act. The way Statham puts bread on his table is as an actor. For action stars he's already was pretty well known even before F7. I can't predict the future but I don't see why his agent couldn't use his current status to get him more high profile roles, even if he isn't the lead.

Sam Worthington was supposed to be the main character in a Terminator trilogy with a lot of money behind it. He was the lead for multiple franchises. He fucked up and chose poorly in addition to him being a bad actor. He had his time in the light for awhile.

Why would this be an incentive?

Why wouldn't it?

How would it be any less/more an incentive than his joining the Fast & Furious series? Or the fuckin' Expendables? (well, it's definitely more of an incentive over the Expendables)

It's a lucrative, well-known, super-successful series of films and now television shows.

Busty said:
Nah. That's just not true. If we're talking about this why wouldn't he take a season long guest stint on something like Gotham or The Black List. Successful shows that would give him plenty of exposure.

This wouldn't give him plenty of exposure? It absolutely would.

Again, look at his resume, and hell, look at the quote he just gave regarding how *easy* this shit would be. They fit it into his schedule and cut him a check? He's gonna do it. It doesn't even have to be that big a check.

And all this is moot anyway since Marvel's come out and said LR is full of shit on this one. But even so, the idea that this is beneath Statham is funny to me. It's pretty obviously not. You just have to look at him, and his output, which has been consistent regardless whether he's made a 100 million dollar movie or a 50 dollar movie, to see that.

Ronin Ray

I personally think so but it's still seems to be generally regarded as a good action film. I also haven't seen many people criticizing Statham's role in the film. Besides the reviews for it were also pretty good.

But just think what Betty White could have done in the role

Gonzalez

Banned
Why wouldn't it?

How would it be any less/more an incentive than his joining the Fast & Furious series? Or the fuckin' Expendables? (well, it's definitely more of an incentive over the Expendables)

It's a lucrative, well-known, super-successful series of films and now television shows.

Marvel is cheap as shit. I don't know how you would consider a handful of subway tokens, and a half eaten spaghetti sandwich a lucrative deal.

They don't primarily act. The way Statham puts bread on his table is as an actor. For action stars he's already was pretty well known even before F7. I can't predict the future but I don't see why his agent couldn't use his current status to get him more high profile roles, even if he isn't the lead.

Sam Worthington was supposed to be the main character in a Terminator trilogy with a lot of money behind it. He was the lead for multiple franchises. He fucked up and chose poorly in addition to him being a bad actor. He had his time in the light for awhile.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. A-list in Hollywood is people like Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Denzel, Johnny Depp...Statham is not on that level. He's well known sure but he's not the kind of guy that studios are going to invest in carrying major releases any time soon. He's got his lane and he and his agent have done a great job of exploiting that lane, but playing the villain in fairly well known/received Marvel Studios series doesn't stray too far from that lane. It's not beneath him.

He should have one episode entirely dedicated to how badass he is, then get away with a hint of him coming back. Basically how they handled Stick from S1.

Fury451

Banned
Yeah, seems a bit high profile. Don't see it.

Marvel properties are skyrocketing careers. No such thing as too high profile.

Besides, Statham is about as high profile currently as Dawson, at least prior to Spy.

For the record, he'd be a pretty great choice for Bullseye; would be neat to see him play such a villainous guy.

Marvel is cheap as shit. I don't know how you would consider a handful of subway tokens, and a half eaten spaghetti sandwich a lucrative deal.

I said the series was lucrative. I didn't say they're gonna back a fuckin truck up to his dick. I know Marvel doesn't pay much. I've previously had to convince a bunch of posters here that "dat marvel money" isn't shit unless your name is Robert Downey Jr.

But - the series is very high-profile and makes a shit-ton of cash. Something that makes a lot of money is deemed very, very successful and culturally influential. People will end up wanting to be a part of it if they can.

Anyone know how much Universal threw at him to play "angry bald man with phone" in the Fast & Furious movies?

Because I don't think it was that much.

Dabanton

Even though the rumour has now been debunked he'd actually be a very good choice.

And he knows how to do practical screen fighting as well. Always a plus.

Dabanton

Anyone know how much Universal threw at him to play "angry bald man with phone" in the Fast & Furious movies?

Because I don't think it was that much.

I wonder too. As at some point they obviously hedged their bets with him as they locked him up at the end. As they probably knew killing him would be a serious waste of a good character.

Jarmel

Banned
Not sure what that has to do with anything. A-list in Hollywood is people like Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Denzel, Johnny Depp...Statham is not on that level. He's well known sure but he's not the kind of guy that studios are going to invest in carrying major releases any time soon. He's got his lane and he and his agent have done a great job of exploiting that lane, but playing the villain in fairly well known/received Marvel Studios series doesn't stray too far from that lane. It's not beneath him.

Well Depp's star is kinda dull right now. Smith's too but Suicide Squad might give it a boost. Obviously Statham isn't on Brad Pitt's level but among action stars he is one of the most well known.

He's obviously willing to take pretty much most roles so I don't think this is beneath him or whatever. However for potentially a secondary TV villain, I do think he would be a high profile pick.

A billion dollar movie is a bigger deal for the studio and the director than it is for the actors. The only actor off the top of my head that was a lead in a billion dollar grossing movie AND is A-list is Leonardo Dicaprio. Maaaybe Christian Bale and Johnny Depp.

Jason fucking Statham is not A-list lol

Well Depp's star is kinda dull right now. Smith's too but Suicide Squad might give it a boost. Obviously Statham isn't on Brad Pitt's level but among action stars he is one of the most well known.

He's obviously willing to take pretty much most roles so I don't think this is beneath him or whatever. However for potentially a secondary TV villain, I do think he would be a high profile pick.

Unless he's the main villain? I could see D'Onofrio going on the backburner and Bullseye emerges as the deadlier foe who winds up taking up most of the screentime between the two.

Jarmel

Banned
Unless he's the main villain? I could see D'Onofrio going on the backburner and Bullseye emerges as the deadlier foe who winds up taking up most of the screentime between the two.

Does Bullseye even have enough background to make him interesting enough for a full TV season?

Does Bullseye even have enough background to make him interesting enough for a full TV season?

What do you mean by background?

He doesn't need much. You could go the Anton Chiggurh/Joker route and not bother giving him any backstory beyond "This man is certifiably insane and incredibly dangerous and will push our heroes to their utmost limits"

It'd be a different story from the Rise and Fall of Wilson Fisk. He could just be a deranged assassin who becomes obsessed with Daredevil and you watch him spiral into insanity and such.

Ronin Ray

A billion dollar movie is a bigger deal for the studio and the director than it is for the actors. The only actor off the top of my head that was a lead in a billion dollar grossing movie AND is A-list is Leonardo Dicaprio. Maaaybe Christian Bale and Johnny Depp.

Jason fucking Statham is not A-list lol

Robert Downey JR. and no Jason Statham is not even close at all.

Jarmel

Banned
What do you mean by background?

He doesn't need much. You could go the Anton Chiggurh/Joker route and not bother giving him any backstory beyond "This man is certifiably insane and incredibly dangerous and will push our heroes to their utmost limits"

I don't think that would work for the tone the first Daredevil season set. Part of the lure of the first season was how much development and insight we got into Kingpin and how complex he was as a person.

Bleepey

Kevin Spacey and McConaughey had lead roles in major TV projects. Tom Hardy was reteaming with his Locke director for a BBC tv show that Netlfix shows in the US.

None of these are valid comparisons to doing a guest shot on the second season of a Marvel tv show.

I'm genuinely baffled that people can't see the nuance here.

If he was going to 'shoot his TV wad' why would he do it for a guest shot on a Netflix show? He could just as easily get himself a well funded and well paid TV show that's an Int. co-pro. His 'stock' would plummet if he just jumped into playing a bad guy on a show that's already on the air.

I'm sure that somewhere like Cinemax would snap it up given that Strike Back is on it's last legs....,
sadly. :(

All of the examples you gave were one offs and not multi season commitments that I'd think would be required for a character like Bullseye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom