• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Launch Trailer for Lords of The Fallen Released

Draugoth

Gold Member
"Does your blasphemy know no bounds?!"

No, sir, no it doesn't. I'm playing the hell outta this! Watched a little of some early play-throughs and I'm sold.

If the game gets a 90+ on Open/Meta it´s going to be a crazy week.

I really don't understand why they even bothered to attach the name to the 2014 game. Anyway, looks awesome. Probably the next game i buy.

Easier to get funding for already estabilished IPs

BbMajor7th

Looks great - would love to see it smash through the 90+ barrier and hit a home run, but the bar for these games is so damned high.

Reactions: GHG

ssringo

Been watching FightinCowboy play through what he's allowed to pre launch. Combat looks fun but the sound effects are still pretty bad. Still buying day 1 though!

Luipadre

Hopefully they will improve the sound effects, because right now it completely takes me out and makes the combat shit. Sound is just as important as gfx or animations and the hit sounds in this game sounds so bad

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Its just so bizarre to me that this game, of all of the games, is getting a fucking reboot.

Were sales of the original game even that good? Deck13 stuff has never set the world on fire. Why did this get a second chance?

Luipadre

Im waiting until more PS5 impressions. From what i saw performance mode looks meh compared to PC ( well no shit) and i really want them to fix the sound design :D

ssringo

Its just so bizarre to me that this game, of all of the games, is getting a fucking reboot.

Were sales of the original game even that good? Deck13 stuff has never set the world on fire. Why did this get a second chance?
Sold over 3 million copies which puts it on the lower end of the Souls games but still respectable numbers.

At the time of release there weren't many games aping the Souls formula and the general feeling was that while the game was mediocre to okay it was a decent first attempt and the followup might be able to actually deliver. Nearly a decade later...

Ogbert

Been watching loads of the preview streams.

I’m thinking a solid 80ish. Game looks great. Not sure about the roll mechanic or the mob density. Also think the game looks quite easy (hopefully very wrong on that).

But the overall world building looks fab. Can’t wait.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Sold over 3 million copies which puts it on the lower end of the Souls games but still respectable numbers.

At the time of release there weren't many games aping the Souls formula and the general feeling was that while the game was mediocre to okay it was a decent first attempt and the followup might be able to actually deliver. Nearly a decade later...

Yeah that's true I forgot that Lords was kinda like the first true Souls clone, so it does have its place in history so to speak.

Ok that makes more sense. Thanks fam

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Awesome trailer. Would be getting at launch if not for so many other titles coming out.

Seriously, I'm so inundated with games right now, more than I ever have been, but this Friday I'm whittling down to just Lords of the Fallen and Cyberpunk 2.0+DLC. That's fucking IT, not touching anything else until those are both finished.

(note: I'm a liar already because I just remembered fucking Alan Wake 2, which halts everything else I just mentioned.... good time to be a gamer. Bad time to not have unlimited free time)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
According to rumour Elden Ring DLC coming out soon, do I really need play clones when I can play actual Souls game?

GHG

According to rumour Elden Ring DLC coming out soon, do I really need play clones when I can play actual Souls game?

Elden Ring DLC isn't until February next year, so there's a nice gap between now and then to play this provided it's good.

Hohenheim

Looks brilliant. I'm not watching any gameplay footage, but have any of the streamers mentioned anything about PC performance? Or did they play on console?

GrayChild

There are some good ones (Lies of P, Nioh), some mediocre ones (Mortal Shell, The Surge), some outright bad (Steelrising, Pascal's Wager). In any case, none of them reach FROM's seal of quality, but can be good if you're itching for more of the same.

Danjin44

Lies of P is better than some from souls game imo. I definitely enjoy it a lot more, than elden ring for example
I watched some gameplay of it I don’t know, I hate how on the nose is with so called “inspiration”. They literally have NPC talking though the window EXACTLY like Bloodborne.

I can respect games like Nioh more because even tho it has clear inspiration from Souls games, it’s still very much it’s own game, from combat to its art style and structure.

Luipadre

I watched some gameplay of it I don’t know, I hate how on the nose is with so called “inspiration”. They literally have NPC talking though the window EXACTLY like Bloodborne.

I can respect games like Nioh more because even tho it has clear inspiration from Souls games, it’s still very much it’s own game, from combat to its art style and structure.

Lies of P has enough new shit to make it fresh. It has lots of mechanics

swing_harder

Neo Member
Looks brilliant. I'm not watching any gameplay footage, but have any of the streamers mentioned anything about PC performance? Or did they play on console?
Most streamers are previewing the game on PC. The ones that I have watched reported the performance to be ok, not great. The only game breaking report I saw was from Rurikhan’s stream who had several crashes and a lost save file after he had played for 7 hours. He noted that he is running an AMD gpu and hasn’t heard of the same issues being seen with colleagues that have NVIDIA gpu.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I dont know some its stuff just downright copy of Bloodborne, to the point I'm surprised they not sued yet.

There is big difference between to get inspiration and just be straight up clone, I'm glad there are people enjoying it but to me it just something off about it.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

None of it's own sadly: Guard Regain is just Bloodborne's rallying, Perfect Guard is Sekiro's Deflections (right down to the posture damage), Fable Arts are Elden Ring's / DSIII's Weapon Arts, Legion Arm abilities are Sekiro's Shinobi Prosthetic (even has some of the same attacks), The Wish Cube is just Elden Ring's Wondrous Physik, but kinda broken. Heck, even the setting and characters are lifted - the engine too. I do still think it's solid effort with plenty to recommend, but it barely has an original idea to its name.

Edit: I guess the P-Organ is kind of its own thing, even if it's just a mini skill tree filled with Nioh-esque buffs and perks. Coin Fruit is different too - out of place as those kinda mobile game mechanics feel in a Soulslike.

Last edited:
P-Organ upgrades and Grindstones. Also, switching blades and handles to get preferred moveset, length, speed, and power.
boom smile GIF

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's because it was basically the first soulslike clone so even if it was mediocre, people remember the name more than many other better clones.

Also yeah 3 mil copy is a lot for a bad clone.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I can only understand this to not get burned by the genre, but it's not like we have a from game every 3 months...

Lies of P is basically fromsoft quality for most things if you can forgive the strong ispiration, but it does enough to differentiate from bb and sekiro.

Even stuff that looks similar work differently like the life regain or the arms being more actively useful and not situational like sekiro, and the mixing weapon system is legit original for these type of games.

Danjin44

I can only understand this to not get burned by the genre, but it's not like we have a from game every 3 months...
There is that but also I don’t like how on the nose they are with their copy, it just feels weird, they are trying to be like FROM game but it feels something just off about them.

Games like Nioh in other hand it’s inspired by Souls game but it still very much Team Ninja style all over it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

There is that but also I don’t how they are on the nose they are with their copy, it just feels weird, they are to be like FROM game but it feels something just off about them.

Games like Nioh in other hand it’s inspired by Souls game but it still very much Team Ninja style all over it.
Not gonna lie the ispiration is STRONG, but would you let something so trivial ruin an otherwise great game? It sound like an overly harsh self-imposed rule tbh.

I think you have more to gain trying the game than the opposite.

Danjin44

Not gonna lie the ispiration is STRONG, but would you let something so trivial ruin an otherwise great game? It sound like an overly harsh self-imposed rule tbh.

I think you have more to gain trying the game than the opposite.
If FROM stops making games then I might look for alternatives but until then I don’t see any reason to play “Souls-like” game when I can play actual Souls game meanwhile I play other different games. As much as I love FROM I HATE how other devs just want to make “Souls-like”, it’s everyone wants to make modern military shooters in 360/PS3 era all over again.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Lies of P is basically fromsoft quality for most things if you can forgive the strong ispiration, but it does enough to differentiate from bb and sekiro.
In terms of level design, it's miles off. I fired up DS3 to see if it was my imagination, but running around Undead Settlement, the difference was night and day. The level design is so much more complex, cohesive, visually distinct and rewarding to explore than any location in Lies of P. The layering is absolutely masterful, with one idea built on another - the way that verticality is used in all kinds of different contexts (not just a ladder or lift), the way that traps and doors work not as gotchas, but as checkmarks that help you memorize and visualise the entire space is insane. Lies of P's layouts are so forgettable and flat, with none of the clever detailing that makes it easy to visualise the space without a map.

That said, FromSoft are basically peerless in this aspect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom