• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: NX battery 3 hours max on dev kit, dock improves performance, touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxgame

I pray to god that 3 hours is maximum lighting or something like that.
I always used 3DS between 1-2 light intensity depending on day light.

jonno394

How much battery life do you get out of a NVidia Shield tablet while playing graphically demanding games?

"When it comes to gaming, I went from 100% battery to 40% in two hours – playing a combination of Juju with the controller connected, Xenowerk and Tales from the Borderlands. This means you’ll get around three to four hours of intensive gaming on a single charge, as you lose around 30% battery per hour."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-review#wLGwzp6Yi5avbRbj.99

seems very unlikely that anyone would have final hardware to actually comment on battery life surely? however could be in Nintendo's interest to spread about a low figure now so that everyone is really happy when the system is fully detailed and turns out its slightly better (but still bad)

dracula_x

3 hours?! Christ... How the fuck do you even call that portable?

Hopefully 3rd party batteries will be able to save us

from Nintendo website:

Learn more about the next home gaming system from Nintendo, the Nintendo Switch™.

Also, notice the size of device:

3klzDoi.png

Trup1aya

Realistically, there's no way to cram Xbox one comparable hardware into a mobile form factor without some enormous trade offs.

Since the announcement I'm wondering how they can keep the price down and battery life up. Because less powerful mobile devices cost more than consoles.

As soon as I saw that in the promotional video the guy got on the plane and immediately plugged the tablet into a power outlet, I expected a shorter battery life. I'm a bit surprised though since it's running on tegra and Nvidia's own devices all seem to get 5+ hours of heavy use (the shield portable is really stellar on that front).

The Switch's marketing weak spot, no doubt. The mass media hears this and they'll point and laugh. That won't do good for it's rep when it comes out. HOWEVER, I hope it just uses USB to charge, so that way people can use any charger they already have lying around.

random25

I don't think the battery itself is the problem, but what it is running. If as a portable it has active cooling, then you got a fan that eats up power aside from the processing for the game itself. Then the wireless (Bluetooth?) for the controllers would also be active as well.

I wish this thing could be charged by a power bank because that would really help.

Great writeup. I'm glad she very clearly conveyed where each piece of information came from. That's very cool and interesting to read.

3 hours seems about expected. I would imagine there is a micro USB port for charging when on the go, so that really doesn't seem like such a big deal. How often are you really away from any means of charging a device these days?

If they go with a proprietary charging port that might be a problem though.

big_erk

Ahem. 3 hours MAXIMUM.

Guess it really is a home console first and foremost

Which is pretty much what they have stated.

I have a Samsung Tab S2, and if I run a demanding game on it for 3 hours I'm running on empty. Unless you want the unit to weigh as much as a laptop this is the trade off. Third parties will come out with extended life battries that will probably add heft to the system as well as external Mophie type battery packs. I don't see why anyone is surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised if the final hardware has a bigger battery for around 5 hours. I don't think we can trust numbers that are most likely from the dev kits/not final hardware.

Ricker

5 hours Max would obviously be ideal(better)...for those who have long commutes,they have enough for a forth and back plus on their lunch hour and breaks as well...you need to recharge it once a day,pretty much like your cel phone...3 hours is bad though.

DonShula

Glad to hear the prospect of additional processing power for the dock is still alive. People took that statement from Nintendo way too far - Nintendo didn't actually exclude the prospect of the dock providing more power, but that thread was flooded with people who made assumptions.

3 hours for a dedicated portable seems low. I'd be using it around the house so it sounds perefectly fine to me. I might be in the minority.

khaaan

I mentioned it in another thread, it would be a bit redundant to list mobile developer(s) as partners and not have touch capability. One of the more interesting things this could be is having direct access to Miiverse on the go. Otherwise I would expect it to behave almost like a normal tablet.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Let's wait until the final hardware comes out before rushing to judgement.

Nintendo would not design a portable with only 3hrs of battery life. That would be extremely dumb of them.

As soon as I saw that in the promotional video the guy got on the plane and immediately plugged the tablet into a power outlet, I expected a shorter battery life. I'm a bit surprised though since it's running on tegra and Nvidia's own devices all seem to get 5+ hours of heavy use (the shield portable is really stellar on that front).

I thought he was plugging in headphones.

Omnicent

People do need to remember that devkit battery life can increase with different internals/optimization.

Remember--verified reports were that the devkits were running with noisy and actively cooled Tegra X1s. Implementing the new custom chips could help to reduce the need for the cooling/internals and, as a result, increase battery life.

This is NeoGAF, so only a few people will care that the battery lifer pertains to the devkit. It's going to be nothing but doom and gloom, so buckle up

I do hope they haven't pulled a Wii U Gamepad and put in a battery that doesn't even take up half of the battery space just so they can sell us a better battery later.

Regardless I was never planning to take this outside too much so it isn't too big of a concern for me.

PillarEN

3 hourswouldbe pretty darn bad if this is supposed to truly be seen as a handheld experience too. Someone remind me how long a Vita, PSP, DS, and 3DS last.

Or maybe how long does an iPad or other high end tablet last when playing high end games?

jonno394

This device isn't a portable, it's clearly a home console that you can take out and about for a few hours. Nintendo are calling it a console, not a portable.

So I will need to charge 20 times to finish a 60 hour game...

if you are playing it as a 100% portable only console, and never playing it any where near a power supply (I'm assuming the dock is not the only way to charge the device)

AP90

External battery packs inbound?

3h doesn't sound that bad compared to gaming on a laptop not plugged in.

Zaph

5ekNlNz.png

So realistically in this scenario, with a heavy 3D load taking input from two players and local wifi running, expect closer to 2 hours?

iavi

So basically just enough battery life to get decent in-bed sessions in.

Works for me. Definitely not the portable be-all that trailer showed though

BD1

Banned
3 hours?! Christ... How the fuck do you even call that portable?

Hopefully 3rd party batteries will be able to save us

They don't call it a portable. They call it a home console.

Pretty clear if the battery is that bad, this will be positioned more as a "take it with you" deal and not "play it on the go." There is some distinction there.

Hylian7

I doubt the additional processing in in the dock, but rather just using either upclocking on the Tegra, or ARM's big.LITTLE architecture and switching to the faster processors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE

That would make the most sense. Didn't Nintendo say yesterday that the dock only charges and provides a means of output to the TV?

I hope there's an optional "battery saving" mode that we can turn off. I'm also hoping surely you can charge without the dock, right?

bachikarn

Personally I'd rather the think to be more powerful but have a smaller battery life. They can upgrade battery in future revisions, but the specs are unlikely to change throughout lifetime.

I also would mainly use the portability to play in different rooms than the house than say take it on the go. I could see myself using it on an airplane, but they tend to have outlets now for charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom