• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' peak concurrent Steam playerbase dropped to 431 today [Up2: Down to 302]

VariantX

Hate to break it too you, but it's already at that point of complete irrelevance. 431 concurrent people peak...just think about that for a second.

It sucks, but that's hovering an inch over dead game territory for a competitive FPS. You need several people, after all, to actually fill out the match roster in matchmaking. Thats 431 people period. And all of them not likely in the same region. They need to do something and do it fast to get people looking at their game.

Rizific

was looking forward to it simply because of cliffy, but the beta did nothing for me, ESPECIALLY after playing the quake champions beta. sorry.

Alienous

flatlining.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And yet we only got Warframe and Destiny in the PVE online shooter segment for several years now.
There's also The Division, but I agree with your sentiment that this is an under-pursued genre.

That said, those games are very costly and time consuming to make, which I imagine is a big part of it.

Kayant

Why do so many people think F2P is the route to success or a better model here to begin with? All F2P does is guarantee higher launch numbers, it doesn't stop people leaving for the same reasons they doing so now. Neither does it mean people will invest in the game to keep things running.

Cmagus

It doesn't seem like things are picking up for Lawbreakers. Rather the opposite.

lawbreakersygl29.png

Source: http://steamcharts.com/app/350280

It's been down almost under 300 a few times now (355 right now on Steam). It's a shame really because it's a really fun game and deserves better but even when you play it now, you can really feel it.They just had a double XP weekend and on PC sometime the wait was really long like it took 3-5 min to find a match and then when you go in you sit on "waiting for players" for almost another 4-5 minutes.

Like many have said they really need to get people trying this game with a free weekend or something because I know a few people who are interested but won't spend the $40 (can) on this because they're uncertain of it's future. I just wonder what's gonna happen when Destiny 2 hits because that's gonna be their biggest hurdle yet. I'll always keep recommending it but understand why people are hesitant on buying it.

arimanius

Why do so many people think F2P is the route to success or a better model here to begin with? All F2P does is guarantee higher launch numbers, it doesn't stop people leaving for the same reasons they doing so now. Neither does it mean people will invest in the game to keep things running.

I agree with this. To many people think F2P is the solution for everything. Mainly I think because people are cheap and want the games for free.

jediyoshi

All F2P does is guarantee higher launch numbers, it doesn't stop people leaving for the same reasons they doing so now. Neither does it mean people will invest in the game to keep things running.

...you've never observed a spike in players from a game switching to F2P?

F2P doesn't guarantee anything, yes, but it massively increases the game's chances because it drops the entry fee. People that would never give the game a chance might try it then.

Player retention is another issue entirely but you need to actually have players for that to become a problem in the first place.

BladeOfSanjuro

Neo Member
How long did it take for Evolve to reach this sorry state?

I know it's a totally different type of game, but even going F2P couldn't save it.

It took Evolve a while... there were a lot of different factors there, and also, Evolve was on 2 consoles + PC, coming from a known development studio(Turtle Rock). The Evolve team also made a lot of bad decisions down the line, from the get go:

-DLC shenanigans
-Several different gametypes, with differing focus of the dev team from time to time
-Sudden, drastic change to overall meta coupled with going F2P
-Abandoning one entire gametype system in F2P(Evacuation, the "campaign" mode)

They never quite figured out how to make it so the team of hunters could trap the monster as a whole team while making the game engaging for all. I think that game was a lot more fun before it went F2P, when the Monster player was around the same skill level as the entire hunter team, but that was a rare occurrence.

With Lawbreakers... I don't see major failings in the actual game design here. There's solid gametypes with understandable objectives, and fairly straightforward classes with, again, solid, mechanics, with a unique speed/movement that I haven't seen anything remotely like since the Tribes/UT days. The development team is providing weekly updates on adjustments to the meta, matchmaking and upcoming content/fixes, and their discord has 3000 non-BKP/Nexon users online right now.

On the strategy side, there hasn't been much marketing for it beyond CliffyB tweeting himself that I've seen, and it is just an absolutely impossible year for a new shooter IP to come in after PUBG, with Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 and a Call of Duty looming, and constant updates in play for Battlefield 1, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, and the ever present Valve shooters that people never seem to stop playing. Also, it's not available on Xbox One.

WaterAstro

They should turn the game into a battle royale type game. No one has made a battle royale game before. I'm sure this genre is not saturated.

bounchfx

man I didn't expect it to tank this hard, I feel bad. Hope they can salvage it with F2P and some changes, kinda like how Evolve gave a sizeable effort to make the game stick

There is always potential to turn a game around. CS:GO was in a rut for quite some time before Valve managed to turn it around. That said, I've not played this game and have no idea how it is or what (if anything) is wrong with it.

Kayant

...you've never observed a spike in players from a game switching to F2P?
I meant that as well but what does that do in the long term? it doesn't guarantee success like I mentioned because people will still leave for the same reasons even less with it being free. Also things like Evolve show what I mean.
F2P doesn't guarantee anything, yes, but it massively increases the game's chances because it drops the entry fee. People that would never give the game a chance might try it then.

Player retention is another issue entirely but you need to actually have players for that to become a problem in the first place.
Sure but again if players are not investing them being there doesn't really help things that much because after all things like servers need revenue to run.

The style of game just doesn't lead itself to mass appeal that would benefit from going F2P.

Edit -

Just look at all the F2P shooters out there that are somewhat similar and are have arena elements and see how successful they are compared to others.

What does this really mean for the industry, though? By most accounts the gameplay itself is rather fun.

Is "personality" and "character" that important in video games? Lawbreakers' lack of success says yes. Or is this just a case of over-saturation?

but 30 dollars multiplayer only bullshit!
haha or is this more about gamers' distaste for the game's hype-man?

Budi

For f2p to be profitable they need way more players than Brink has. Or they need to drastically change their monetization. Just having cosmetic loot boxes doesn't cut it unless you have actually big numbers. I'd go with free weekend paired up with a sale first, see how that affects things. When the game clicks, you just have to get more of it.
What does this really mean for the industry, though? By most accounts the gameplay itself is rather fun.

Is "personality" and "character" that important in video games? Lawbreakers' lack of success says yes. Or is this just a case of over-saturation?
Counter-Strike and Rainbow Six Siege says no. Over-saturation is a safer bet imo.

noomi

:(

This sucks.

I love the game, and will keep playing until it becomes to much of a hassle to find players.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Too late unfortunately, Cliffy.

Could always go help Rod make Gears great again...

This has made matchmaking with similarly skilled players very hard. I'm not that great at the game, but I feel like everyone I play against is leagues ahead of me in skill.

That's why I've kinda set the game aside for more time with BF1 and PUBG

hollomat

Banned
If I'm doing my math right that means less than 1% of the ~7,500 players at the all time peak are still playing it now. That's insane.

Good point, people will play almost anything if its free. Maybe it was just the hype cycles but I was way more excited about both of those games than I ever was about Lawbreakers though.

Your math isn't correct.

1% of 7500 is 75.

Still insanely low player counts though. I enjoyed the beta but was worried about low player counts based on the beta player count. Thankfully I held off buying.

Rocketz

I don't know what is going to help the game. Going F2P may bring in the a larger pool of people wanting to try, but it's not retaining the players that already purchased the game now. People seem to be not interested and making it F2P may not change that.

It's not going to get any better with Call of Duty, Destiny, and Battlefront all coming soon.

I wanted to add a poll but I was worried people would blame Nirolak.

So just to be clear:

Question: F2P?

Choice 1: Before December 31st, 2017

Choice 2: After December 31st, 2017

Before Dec 31st. The game is going to have a free weekend coming up soon Im betting it.

Gator86

"We want to be like Warframe that grows and grows without you even noticing it."

vlskbmu.png

Warframe and Rainbow Six Siege are always the worst comparisons that get thrown around for games nowadays. They're both in uncompetitive genres. Where are the other tactical shooters on console competing with Siege? Warframe has only Division and Destiny to worry about for the most part. Those games could grow the way they did because there was no other game in town for the most part. Not so with Lawbreakers.

Top Bottom