• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' peak concurrent Steam playerbase dropped to 431 today [Up2: Down to 302]

Gator86

It definitely has, in fact that article that was released awhile back comparing the numbers to Battleborn had a huge impact on the game and really did some damage. After that article came out it was everywhere and Youtube was full of videos on it as well.

Titanfall 2 had that same issue but it's totally fine now and Respawn was just bragging about their player numbers and retention. It's not an automatic death sentence or something.

Cmagus

Titanfall 2 had that same issue but it's totally fine now and Respawn was just bragging about their player numbers and retention. It's not an automatic death sentence or something.

No it's definitely not but there is no doubt that article did a lot of damage for a game with a rocky start. It's not doom and gloom yet but they need to have something soon because there is a few big games on the way.

Well, if it is the Dark Souls of shooters maybe it will take a while to be noticed and spread......but not likely

I understand that a lot of people, worked a long time and poured their hearts into this game, but the urge the troll Cliff is really, REALLY, strong.

That guy did himself no favors with his arrogant attitude during the marketing run up. Like it was a forgone conclusion that anything he blessed with his time would turn to gold.

He reminds me of David Jaffey now, overstuffed with curse words and misplaced confidence.

Belker

Would making it a PS plus game for October save it? I feel like it could if the game is legitimately good.

If the PS4 numbers are as bad as this, I'm not sure it could hurt it. Might be a hail mary.

I think someone on my friends list says he's running ito the same players regularly on PS4, so presumably there may be full servers but not full enough.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well, that was already happening during the beta. I don't think the first open beta being over 4th of July weekend was the most intelligent move.

But that's not going to sink a game. The constant barrage of talk regarding the game's player counts stuck a big neon failure sign on the game with the way information travels online. Throw in a Crowbcat video just to make sure it's finished.

FTP isn't going to do anything.

GodofWine

Is it really bad? I honestly know nothing about it.

No, it just didn't have any place to wedge into in the market. Everyone who wants to play a good hero shooter is already playing one. It was too late, and not 'compelling' enough, or at least it wasn't marketed well enough to show off why if might be compelling.

I first heard of this game a few days ago, and I was wanting to try it out on PC (and use a controller, because I'm a console gamer but don't want to pay extra for online multiplayer) but apparently my 2 year old laptop isn't beefy enough for it according to whatever tool they have on their website.

I have a PS4, but fat chance I'm signing up to whatever their online service is called. Even if I played enough games in a year to justify it (and I don't), it just seems ludicrous to pay more to unlock a game mode. And since that's the only mode this game has...

It's not bad.

That only thing that feels outdated is the "edgy" personality of everything in the game. Every character suffers from high school badass syndrome.

Just like Cliff. Except now he's got a hot wife and healthy bank account, so the jokes still on us.

I really hope he used outside funding for Lawbreakers.

Budi

Took just a tad over one minute to find a match on PC/EU 10 minutes ago. Not too bad for those player numbers.

Drencrom

lawbreakersygl29.png

Cliffy's Billion Dollar Franchise

They're not, but it took about 10-20 seconds to get into full matches with similarly leveled players even before it released on Steam, so that had to be at least a reasonable number of people.

I mean, I've gotten into matches of Lawbreakers in that same timeframe shortly after launch but nobody was saying that playerbase was respectable, were they?

I'm not saying it doesn't have a reasonable playerbase on the launcher, I'm just saying that maybe there's not a good point in saying there is when there's really not a whole lot to suggest there is.

Raide

Such a crowded Market to release another hero shooter, despite it having some cool mobility options. Also, despite Cliffy's name and reputation behind BossKey, it was just not enough to keep LB alive. Shame really.

Started playing shooters with the original Unreal.

There's just something about the movement and speed in Quake games, that just makes them so smooth and responsive. Yeah, Quake Champions could use some improvements, like less weapon switching lag, and smoother frame times at the high levels. Lawbreakers feels so clunky and animation prioritized, it feels like I could get the right shot if the models did jerk around too much.

I feel literally the opposite. Movement is like a dream in LB, and QC feels clunky and like all the Hero elements are tacked on

Mooreberg

But that's not going to sink a game. The constant barrage of talk regarding the game's player counts stuck a big neon failure sign on the game with the way information travels online. Throw in a Crowbcat video just to make sure it's finished.
I think low beta participation is a warning sign that the initial interest isn't substantial. The articles about player count definitely did damage as well, but I'm not sure there was a huge ceiling to begin with. Bethesda took the correct approach by building up an audience with a free version, and keeping that going for people who are not immediately sure about spending $30 for having every "champion" unlocked. It won't turn into CSGO, but it should be sustainable long term.
FTP isn't going to do anything.
I don't think so either, for a variety of reasons.

arimanius

Started playing shooters with the original Unreal.

There's just something about the movement and speed in Quake games, that just makes them so smooth and responsive. Yeah, Quake Champions could use some improvements, like less weapon switching lag, and smoother frame times at the high levels. Lawbreakers feels so clunky and animation prioritized, it feels like I could get the right shot if the models did jerk around too much.

I couldn't disagree with you more on Lawbreakers feeling clunky. It's movement is butta.

Trup1aya

this might seem counter intuitive, but I feel like the game launched on the wrong platforms. It's easy to target the biggest playerbases - but i feel like a marketing deal with xbox would have seen this game get gobbled up.

the months long gulf of big releases on the platform and the return of the man who brought Gears - the story almost writes itself.

-MD-

I'm interested in this game, but when I see those numbers all it does is make me hold back.

Which is a part of the problem, I've seen a variation of this comment like 200 times over the last week.

That Crowb video really kneecapped any chance this game had.

Slayven

A better aesthetic than Lawbreakers

I admit i do love Stryker, it is one thing to give a character 4 arms, but to give him 3 on one side? Now that is cooking with gas. He was originally a mutant with 4 arms, but they got cut off and replaced cybernetics.

Apathy

Still the biggest mistake this game will ever make was listening to "fans" that it needed to be a paid have instead of the original f2p model

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think low beta participation is a warning sign that the initial interest isn't substantial. The articles about player count definitely did damage as well, but I'm not sure there was a huge ceiling to begin with. Bethesda took the correct approach by building up an audience with a free version, and keeping that going for people who are not immediately sure about spending $30 for having every "champion" unlocked. It won't turn into CSGO, but it should be sustainable long term.

I think Quake Champions should be ok, but I agree that having a ftp version front and center was a good idea. If not, I'd be worried about it as well.

Top Bottom