• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

patchday

People who think supporting is just standing passive do not know how the support role actually works.

Not knowing this is typical of lower elos, but that does not matter here. What matters is that it is a misunderstanding, and we can help you get past that by telling you that's not how the support role actually works.

Come on guys don't assume a poster sucks bigtime because he stated an opinion contrary to how you might play

I watch LCS, streamers, etc. I know how to play supp (good enough for Silver at least). Sure I'm not platnium material. But I don't have that time either.

No offense to any gafs but I see how much a lot of you play. I'm always envious. I don't have that time. Esp with other games demanding my attention (hots, CoD 3, and now Smite)

edit- here's my summoner I thought yall had it: http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Ryotian

As you can see I've barely played over past month. And made the mistake of trying out nid-jungle the other day. Definitely not for me so far

Come on guys don't assume a poster sucks bigtime because he stated an opinion contrary to how you might play

I watch LCS, streamers, etc. I know how to play supp (good enough for Silver at least). Sure I'm not platnium material. But I don't have that time either.

No offense to any gafs but I see how much a lot of you play. I'm always envious. I don't have that time. Esp with other games demanding my attention (hots, CoD 3, and now Smite)
It's not a matter of opinion. If you're just sitting behind your ADC doing nothing then you are straight up playing the role wrong unless you're playing a super passive champion that is supposed to do that. This isn't supposed to be some personal attack on your personal life or something, it's half-assed support play and it would never fly against better opponents. That's why I pointed out you're silver, it's a different game down there where mistakes are not punished as much as they should. Sit behind your ADC in anything above mid gold and your ADC will get destroyed.

You say you watch LCS, ok so how many times does a support sit behind their ADC and not the other way around in competitive play? Or roaming and ganking other lanes? A support staying behind just never happens unless they're preparing to disengage from a gank. As for streams, the only good supp streams are Krepo and Aphro so if you saw anyone else playing supp like that they're shit at supporting, straight up.

garath

I just get tired of reading elitist posts

"Oh you think that way because of your ELO"

90% of that time that argument is an excuse. I watch LoL streamers all the time and I see the same complaints and they have super high ELO

---

My point is if you have an intelligent come back then make it. Don't discount someone's opinion and hide behind your elo. Sorry I work a full time job and raise children. I dont have all day long to grind rank

I wouldn't say its necessarily an elo thing but there is a level of skill that goes into support that you don't find in the other roles. It gets a bad rap and people that are forced into it are generally very bad at it. In lower elos, that happens very often because people want to carry and think supports can't do that.

Imo support is the second hardest role in league. It requires more thought and game knowledge than any other role as well as understanding matchups of not just 1 vs 1 but all combinations of 2 vs 2. It is a low income role as well so you need to do a lot with a small budget. But what the general populace doesn't get is it is a playmaker role moreso than any other. It's just hard. A good support completely turns the tide of the game and can dominate a map. It's why dedicated support mains don't stay in low elo that long. But its also why you see some of the same bias in high elo. It's a role that even a high elo player wouldn't be able to jump right in and succeed every single time.

I think people are jumping on you a bit because you painted a picture of the role that just isn't accurate. Its not just about warding and babysitting the adc. Far from it. Even though I hate playing support now, it's not because I don't respect the position it's because I can't keep up with it. It's too hard to maintain as a secondary role up against jungle. I'm another person with wife, full time job and kids. I can't keep up with the role unless I'd be willing to throw myself at it 100%.

patchday

I mean, I feel your pain as a low ELO player myself, but, like, the conversation actually went:

You: Supports don't do anything in lane.
LOLGAF: Yes they do, they have to do all kinds of stuff in lane.
You: So why don't people like playing support?
LOLGAF: Because they bad.

So, like, I'm not suggesting that you're bad, but if you're constantly being proactive and creating lane presence then why do you start by saying you just stand around in lane doing nothing? No wonder people got confused.

Sure supports do quite a bit but it's all a bit dull too me now and it feels like I'm grinding esp if my ADC doesnt follow up and help seal the kill.

I just wish I could get rid of the boring early game and move straight into mid/late where the whole team groups up and kicks a lot of butt together

I honestly feel that way about all the lanes. I always thought this was supposed to be a team game but it seems like bad design too me we're all spread out

Hell even in CoD (FPS) you see more "grouping" at the beginning. In typical moba you're all alone in a lane for early game. Guess thats why I play HoTS every now and then and Smite cause it feels like much better teamwork and better game design for a team game

And yeah I should know better I was there for early Dota. Think i had the same complaints way back then too

Hey Guys, Rember this from the last thread. I am aiming to deliver.

Hey Guys,

I'm doing some videos on weird champions to put in the jungle. So far I've been focusing on Taric and done pretty well, but I'll take suggestions? I'll post my end game screen's here.

Roster so far (From Freinds)

- Ashe
- Soraka
- Xerath
- Viktor - zkylon

Today I deliver partly on Ashe. I still haven't made a video yet, but I had my first successful game.

B8VnvDp.png

Man oh man is your early game scary. Not only do the creeps for the first two clears almost kill you. (In the last couple of games I have had to back after one side on my first clear.) I'm not sure what to build on her. I like the attack speed, but I wish I had some way of getting a stronger clear. Too weak early. If I had been counter jungled I would not have been relevant.

The game went to a mixed start. Our teemo started as the weaker and gave up first blood. Our bottom lane gave up a double kill to a bad tower dive. It was an up hill struggle, Sion and me both dueling it out for crabs. After Devourer and the Hurricane things got easier. It made my clears stupid. I was doing camps in 2 seconds.

The real problem is that I didn't feel in any way strong enough to 1v1 anyone until after Iate.

Devourer I got as 28mins. That is pretty piss poor.

Overall, she was fun to play, but you are super reliant on the enemy not being aggressive and I hate relying on the enemy team for anything.

As always, I will take any suggestions for champs to play jungle with and put them on the list.

Oh and one other thing. I was ahead of every other champ in dmg output by 1000.

Leezard

edit- here's my summoner I thought yall had it: http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Ryotian

As you can see I've barely played over past month. And made the mistake of trying out nid-jungle the other day. Definitely not for me so far

If you know how to play it and you still don't like it then that's fine. The "stand passive in lane" part is just a common misconception, so that's why many people are fast to go against it.

patchday

this what I get for whinning. I selected "Fill" and now got tossed into adc role.

this what im talking bout you select "fill" I bet you'll get bot lane every time

JulianImp

I remember how I thought a couple Blitzcranks were good because of how they made their presence be known, making us respect him as he hid in the bushes or walked towards us to try and go for a grab. One of the reasons I like playing a melee champ despite initially hating that prospect is that you can't just stand behind creeps all the time, so you are slowly forced to learn how to make your enemies fear you rather than being the guy that's only focusing on executing minions with your shield item.

That reminds me of a time when I was up against a Leona support and I was able to stand right in front of my minions to deny her the chance of going in for proccing her support item (while her adc didn't try to poke me all that much). Realizing that I could use Naut's presence and proper placement alone to discourage approaches against certain champs felt great.

Still, I agree that support can be initially thought of as the Medic in Team Fortress 2, but it's also true that you won't be getting anything done if you're only looking after your adc. It's certainly a role that's more lenient on passive play compared to the rest at least as you're getting started, but I've faced many rival supports that could shut me out of making any relevant plays through clever use of positioning and skills, which is something I'm still fairly new to and would love to get a better grasp on.

Nekofrog

Banned
if you are silver or below (hell even gold and plat) and are support

pick a playmaking support (thresh/blitz/trundle/shen etc)

roam to mid or top when you and your AD first back

get kill

tilt enemy laner because "WHY THE FUCK IS THRESH IN MY LANE AT LEVEL 4"

climb

faridmon

if you are silver or below (hell even gold and plat) and are support

pick a playmaking support (thresh/blitz/trundle/shen etc)

roam to mid or top when you and your AD first back

get kill

tilt enemy laner because "WHY THE FUCK IS THRESH IN MY LANE AT LEVEL 4"

climb

I'll remember this!

patchday

started practicing with Thresh a little in normals; hes pretty fun.

Just got an easy win as Jinx; but the other team played like utter crap so thats little reassurance and my CS was loussy

edit Yea still missing Trundle/Tahm/Blitz. Thinking to refund this champ nidalee skin and put down on Tahm

patchday

Nidalee trolled us as much as possible. Took CS, no sightstone, just fed all day.

But thank you nidalee support troll that we all reported; you have convinced me to return to Support. You showed how bad it can screw the team

patchday

Horrible loses in a row as support today, ADCs being too risky pushing or I am being too risky pressuring.

I know right? lay your head on my shoulder and let's comfort each other.

I told my adc I was out of mana and I wanted to get wards etc. What does he do? He runs off and gets killed asap. Granted, I don't know if moves like that lost us the game but it didnt help.

Back to Normals. Hoping to train up and when Season 6 starts I go to promos and try my best to hit Gold

Kenai

Ugh. That seems implausible. Lol

I concur this can happen. I picked mid as my secondary specifically because I never thought I'd get it.

Of course my bot lane went 0/9 total before we surrendered (I guess going 3/4 isn't terrible for how little I mid :x )

patchday

I wouldn't say its necessarily an elo thing but there is a level of skill that goes into support that you don't find in the other roles. It gets a bad rap and people that are forced into it are generally very bad at it. In lower elos, that happens very often because people want to carry and think supports can't do that.

Imo support is the second hardest role in league. It requires more thought and game knowledge than any other role as well as understanding matchups of not just 1 vs 1 but all combinations of 2 vs 2. It is a low income role as well so you need to do a lot with a small budget. But what the general populace doesn't get is it is a playmaker role moreso than any other. It's just hard. A good support completely turns the tide of the game and can dominate a map. It's why dedicated support mains don't stay in low elo that long. But its also why you see some of the same bias in high elo. It's a role that even a high elo player wouldn't be able to jump right in and succeed every single time.

I think people are jumping on you a bit because you painted a picture of the role that just isn't accurate. Its not just about warding and babysitting the adc. Far from it. Even though I hate playing support now, it's not because I don't respect the position it's because I can't keep up with it. It's too hard to maintain as a secondary role up against jungle. I'm another person with wife, full time job and kids. I can't keep up with the role unless I'd be willing to throw myself at it 100%.

yeah people took me a bit literal which was a bit silly. Of course support does more then stare at the adc and watch the enemy team. But it was also a bit ridiculous people just assumed I misunderstood the role or some nonsense. How long have I been posting in this thread now?

Newt

We've all been at the point where we're learning the game and playing ranked in silver division.

Let's not pretend you know what's going on though. It's obvious you don't from your earlier statements.

You'll learn with experience.

Speaking of Shaco,

Something about playing shaco makes you bully crappy early game junglers endlessly so fun. All 6 of those deaths on Amumu are from me starting from his first buff, to his red lmao.

Shaco really a one trick pony but it never stops getting fun.
Oh I added you patchday, whenever you're on I will shoot an invite.

jerd

more elite attitude. If you were higher rank and got more CS it would mean more

I promise nobody is trying to be insulting. It is just a fact of life that as low elo players we don't know much about the game. That's all there is to it. Nobody is trying to be critical of you or your rank, it is just a fact. The way you've described the support role (boring early game, very passive role) is just completely incorrect, so people who have played the game a lot longer than you attempted to correct you, and you lashed out.

It may feel like you've played this game for a long time but iirc you've played less than a year correct? That's not very long in League terms. I'd advise you to be a little more open to criticism because we have a great community with some very good players around here that would be more than happy to take time out of their day to give you pointers.

I went through so many boxes of movie theater butter popcorn when Deadnames was posting in here and sparking debates. No champion was safe from his wrath.

Hey, I'd say a really good Thresh or Leona or Morgana is far more scarier than any assassin or carry in my opinion. So as a fellow silver scrub, these guys are not trying to attack you, it's just truth.

Top Bottom