• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leah Remini writing Scientology tell-all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Leah Remini writing Scientology tell-all

leah.jpg

Actress Leah Remini is planning to further invoke the wrath of leading Scientologists by writing a memoir about her life as a former member of the controversial church.

The former “King of Queens” star has signed a deal with Random House imprint Ballantine Books to pen a book titled “Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology.”

Remini was baptized as Catholic when she was a baby, but converted to Scientology at the age of 10, when her mother joined the church. She quit in 2013 after criticizing church officials’ treatment of their followers, and she has subsequently become a target of the organization and its followers.

As someone who watched Going Clear on HBO, I can't wait for this. The organization is sick as fuck, and deserves to be exposed and made powerless. They are about to make her life a living hell.

LQX

Kind odd to walk away from Scientology to only then write and talk about it all the time.

commedieu

Banned
Kind odd to walk away from Scientology to only then write and talk about it all the time.

Shes doing a public service, and people want to hear it.
Scientology is ruining a lot of lives. If people were educated, it wouldn't be as bad of a problem as it is now.

Its like making a commentary on an escaped torture victim saying "boy they seem to go on and on about that torture!"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good luck with that...

hope she doesn't get in any car accidents on the way to the publisher.

In todays hyperconnected world, does she really need to do that when she can just e-mail the .doc to the publisher house?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Some folks make Mall Cop 2 while others write another personal expose on Scientology. Such is life post-Queens.

While some do standup tours while taking breaks from twitter to care for their children.

Not really, the a lot of people are interested in it and exposing its wrongdoings will hopefully make it harder to rope new people in.

If someone fled North Korea do you think it'd be weird if they wanted to share their experience having lived there?

Grym

good for her. I look forward to reading it (unless of course some random tragedy ends her life or finds her trapped in Scientology's Hole in the interim of course)

Not really, the a lot of people are interested in it and exposing its wrongdoings will hopefully make it harder to rope new people in.

If someone fled North Korea do you think it'd be weird if they wanted to share their experience having lived there?

She could have left anytime, North Korea not so much.

She could have left anytime, North Korea not so much.

Easier said than done considering the social pressure of leaving the church, but yeah, obviously I'm not saying that being a Scientologist is exactly like living in North Korea. I'm just saying it's not surprising that people want to share their story after living through something so unique and twisted, especially when tons of people are eager to listen.

shira

leah-remini-saved-by-the-bell-mark-paul-gosselaar_59951577-800x603.jpeg

She was on SBTB, hope she can handle all the shit the CoS likes to dish out to all their whistleblowers.

Fury451

Banned

Don't see how really. People who leave various religions/faiths/cults often do talk about their experiences with a critical eye, even if they are not non-religious or atheist, and/or join other faiths.

I look forward to reading her account; I'm sure she won't hold back.

I don't think this will change anything.

Scientology will only be really hurt when tom cruise leaves. If ever..

I wish her the best of luck though. Hope she doesn't get hurt.

Remf

Fuck Scientology. Bastards brainwashed my grandmother and talked her into giving them all of her money, stocks, and savings so she could achieve the next level. What's so funny is all this started with an insane science fiction author.

Fuck Scientology. Bastards brainwashed my grandmother and talked her into giving them all of her money, stocks, and savings so she could achieve the next level. What's so funny is all this started with an insane science fiction author.
I always wonder what mental gymnastics members go through to address that. There's no denying the guy was a sci-fi author.

The Beard

After reading the book "Inside Scientology", it blows my mind that Scientology has any members at all.

Hubbard was a charismatic bullshit artist, that turned his struggling sci-fi writing career and "Dianetics" into a religion.

I still want to watch "Going Clear", but I don't have HBO.

Dalek

That documentary made me feed bad for John Travolta. From what they said-he was basically tricked into revealing all his darkest secrets and they've blackmailing him for it ever since-and if he leaves they'll air all his dirty laundry.

TylerD

After reading the book "Inside Scientology", it blows my mind that Scientology has any members at all.

Hubbard was a charismatic bullshit artist, that turned his struggling sci-fi writing career and "Dianetics" into a religion.

I still want to watch "Going Clear", but I don't have HBO.

IIRC the end of Going Clear said that there are less than 50,000 members worldwide. Their numbers are thankfully dwindling.

I don't think this will change anything.

Scientology will only be really hurt when tom cruise leaves. If ever..

I wish her the best of luck though. Hope she doesn't get hurt.

This is the big one. The Cruise Missile would have to openly reject dianetics in order for people to understand how woo-woo bullshit the organization is.

Leah Remini, the kinda known Carrie from King of Queens? I don't think she'll make a dent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom