• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leah Remini writing Scientology tell-all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The beliefs have nothing to do with why she left. Read her AMA.
Well she mentions she has a wtf moment when she leveled up enough to find out about Xanadu or whomever, and the volcanoes, and they stressed she didn't have to believe, just participate - so I think the outrageous beliefs had a part in it.

legend166

Except a lot of lame fedora jokes for these posts, but you two aren't wrong. That said, I wish her the best and I sincerely hope Scientology falls completely some day.

Nah, they're wrong.

Scientology isn't really criticised for their beliefs. It's their abusive and secretive practices.

You can talk to any Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist and they'll happily tell you their beliefs. Scientology will ask you for millions before they even let you know their theology. If you can't see the difference between that and mainstream religion you probably deserve fedora comments tbh.

Fugu

Brave woman. No two ways about it. I'll be watching the special tonight if possible, but that's a big if considering I don't have cable any more.

Yagharek

Nah, they're wrong.

Scientology isn't really criticised for their beliefs. It's their abusive and secretive practices.

You can talk to any Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist and they'll happily tell you their beliefs. Scientology will ask you for millions before they even let you know their theology. If you can't see the difference between that and mainstream religion you probably deserve fedora comments tbh.

The abusive and secretive practices of the RCC, the Anglican Church, the Salvation Army and Jehovah's Witness in Australia count as abusive and secretive, no doubt.

I don't believe the mainstream churches deserve any special consideration ahead of scientology. The Royal Commission into institutional abuse in Australia has demonstrated that with stark clarity.

Just as citizens of scientology and other religious creeds may be nice people, the reality is the organisations are all as rotten as each other. Some just pretend it's only because of bad apples instead of in the dna of the organisation.

Azzanadra

Praise Xenu!

But seriously, I am shocked Scientology is allowed to carry on as long as it did. You think the government would try to shut them down after the IRS totally bungled up the situation.

legend166

The abusive and secretive practices of the RCC, the Anglican Church, the Salvation Army and Jehovah's Witness in Australia count as abusive and secretive, no doubt.

I don't believe the mainstream churches deserve any special consideration ahead of scientology. The Royal Commission into institutional abuse in Australia has demonstrated that with stark clarity.

Just as citizens of scientology and other religious creeds may be nice people, the reality is the organisations are all as rotten as each other. Some just pretend it's only because of bad apples instead of in the dna of the organisation.

Institutional abuse and protection of abusers is not limited to religious organisations (see for example, Penn State in the US, the pedophile scandals in the UK, the liberal bastion of Hollywood, etc). That's not to downplay the abuses of religious institutions. It's gross and disgusting and I wish they were all thrown in prison.

My point wasn't that Scientology was bad and other religions were good. My point is there are significant and obvious differences between Scientology and mainstream religions and to throw everything in one category is ridiculous. Unless you want to categorise 99.9999% of all humanity that ever lived as cultists. That's your prerogative, but it devalues the word and allows actual cults to hide their practices behind legitimate religious groups.

Bowler

Holy shit... watching episode 2 right now... this shit is cray cray. Straight up defamation against anyone who stands up against them.

Lock your damn doors Mike Rinder

Dalek

Finally watching the show on A&E. creepy shit as usual from the church, but much respect for Leah for doing all this.

Glass Joe

Enjoying the show, but man it seems like the damn A&E app plays 180 seconds of commercials every 5 minutes.

Yeah no kidding. I don't have "real TV," but I have access to A&E thru the net. Every 5 minutes, and always the same 4-5 commercials.

Very interesting though. Her show and AMA has answered a lot of my previously uninformed questions of "why don't they leave? " (blackmail and family disconnects) and "why would they believe in the first place (it apparently takes a lot of personal time, money, and effort to reach Level 3 Xenu stuff).

Dalek

Jesus Christ I forgot all about the stories about "The Hole". How have no law enforcement not raided that facility?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Jesus Christ I forgot all about the stories about "The Hole". How have no law enforcement not raided that facility?

I've been reading more about The Hole and what goes on there. It's absolutely insane what these people will tolerate having done to themselves. To think there are people who have "willingly" lived in those conditions for years just boggles my mind. What sick levels of abuse. Makes you wish someone would just get in Miscavige's face and lay his ass out, make him feel a little bit smaller in his sick power fantasy world. Law enforcement really needs to step in and sort Scientology out, they're unquestionably a cult.

Dalek

Man episode 3 is brutal. This woman Mary Khan and her story of escaping from that interrogation. Jesus Christ.

IrishNinja

Man episode 3 is brutal. This woman Mary Khan and her story of escaping from that interrogation. Jesus Christ.

yeah, and the scene when everyone's breaking down...jesus
not like i was eager to prior, but i'm gonna have a hard time supporting shit with cruise or travolta in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom