• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked iPhone 7 Plus Design = iPhone 6 Plus w/o Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
If this turns out to be true, this phone will not even enter my mind as contender for replacement unless they solve all the hassle having to do with wireless headphone and wireless charging with that one port present.

inner-G

Banned
You know what's way thinner than an iPhone and has a head phone jack?

og.jpg
Will that play the voice directions from my phone GPS in the car?

Irminsul

I find it funny that people actually think removing the headphone jack is some kind of leading by example from Apple. The jack is never going to vanish from any kind of audio equipment.

Oh, and it's not like this is something new. The first phones (sans the smart) which could play MP3s did exactly the same. It didn't quite catch on.

hqdefaultkuckv.jpg

TheWorst

No headphone jack is such a stupid decision. It's going to piss off a lot of people while making literally nobody happy (except that one guy on GAF). I hope that they at least include an adaptor in the box.

massoluk

Banned
I find it funny that people actually think removing the headphone jack is some kind of leading by example from Apple. The jack is never going to vanish from any kind of audio equipment.

Oh, and it's not like this is something new. The first phones (sans the smart) which could play MP3s did exactly the same. It didn't quite catch on.

hqdefaultkuckv.jpg

Gee, can you think of one of the contributing reasons this MP3-capable phone didn't quite catch on.

Couleurs

Hahaha they didn't even fill the space with anything, lawd.

Yeah thats unbelievable. Replacing the headphone jack doesn't bother me since i already switched to Bluetooth headphones a while back, but to remove the headphone jack without even adding anything to justify the removal to the majority of users (bigger battery, etc) is insane.

Was looking for an excuse to get a samsung with gear vr and this will do.

If I didn't have a fuckton of movies and music purchased via iTunes that I use on my phone I'd honestly consider switching at this point but my iPhone is just too integrated into my setup for me to ever consider changing.

The phone actually did, my point was that thankfully, smartphones did away with these stupid adapters only few people bought. Or so I thought.

That's the thing...no one wants a dongle. No matter how unobtrusive people swear up and down it is. It's one more thing to lug around, one more thing to manage, one more thing to lose and have to buy again.

I thought all music went DRM free?

Prolly did. How about the movies? I got easily over 100.

Audioboxer

lol no headphone jack is probably real.

All the arguments for it including thinness and battery are absolutely laughable when there is a ton of thin Android phones with decent batteries and a headphone jack.

Heck one of the thinnest Android phones around managed to put in a headphone jack. Think the phone was 4.5mm.

This is where you really see the Apple apologists doing head twister to try and say it's somehow more beneficial not to have the connector nearly every non wireless headphones or earphones set in the world uses.

3N16MA

Banned
If this holds true than I think the rumours that Apple will skip the 7s and jump straight to the iPhone 8 becomes more believable.

Completely new design next year.

reKon

Banned
Good thing that the 6s will still be a spec beast next year. If they would have made waterproof, people would keep this one for years

SJRB

Gold Member
While interested to see how they're going to handle the no headphone jack, I'm also kind of puzzled as to why they'd remove it in the first place.

Almost makes it seem like "change for the sake of change", especially since everything else seems crazy similar to the iPhone 6.

Between this and the iPhone 6SE, it seems like Apple is indulging in sort of an experimental year where they try some unconventional stuff that might not appeal to everyone.

I have to wonder what their official explanation will be for the removal of the headphone jack. It seems like a huge gamble with not much in the way of potential payoff.

Is this sarcasm?

Cause they're re releasing the exact same device.

Alot of snarky comments responding to my picture with absolutly no counter arguments or points period. That's cool though. You can read my other posts and maybe comment on those.

Audioboxer

While interested to see how they're going to handle the no headphone jack, I'm also kind of puzzled as to why they'd remove it in the first place.

Almost makes it seem like "change for the sake of change", especially since everything else seems crazy similar to the iPhone 6.

An adapter you'll probably get with the phone but lose it or buy the phone without and thanks that'll be $40 for another adapter.

I wouldn't care so much if they just dropped Lightning for USB-C and supported analog and digital out. But that's not going to happen.

That's the thing...no one wants a dongle. No matter how unobtrusive people swear up and down it is. It's one more thing to lug around, one more thing to manage, one more thing to lose and have to buy again.

Prolly did. How about the movies? I got easily over 100.

Probably screwed on movies.

Guess Who

Banned
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of math.

It is possible to have more than 100% of profits in the industry when other companies are losing money, which for these calculations counts as negative profit.

I don't think Apple's ever singlehandedly had over 100% of the profits, but there have definitely been times when Apple + Samsung has equaled more than 100% of all profits.

Irminsul

Alot of snarky comments responding to my picture with absolutly no counter arguments or points period. That's cool though. You can read my other posts and maybe comment on those.

Maybe you should have used this picture of a Chinese iPhone-knockoff, because that's quite a bit thinner than the iPhone and has a headphone jack ;)

zte-nubia-my-prague-cf5spy.png

I'm so looking forward to all the iPhone-addicts I know to be upset over this.

I had a friend a couple of weeks ago, say that she loved the iPhone and refuses to get an Android. I asked "Why don't you like Android?", she responded "Because I like iPhone". "Have you ever tried an Android?", "Noooo! Have you tried an iPhone", "Yes, for two years".

"...Oh"

Well I guess it wont be that big of a deal if the included headphones are lightning-cable.

Vire

I had a friend a couple of weeks ago, say that she loved the iPhone and refuses to get an Android. I asked "Why don't you like Android?", she responded "Because I like iPhone". "Have you ever tried an Android?", "Noooo! Have you tried an iPhone", "Yes, for two years".

"...Oh"

Well I guess it wont be that big of a deal if the included headphones are lightning-cable.

Who wants to listen to music on Apple's tinny ass headphones? Or even having playback in a car without having to buy Apple's overpriced ad-dons. I said it before and I'll say it again, this is beyond stupid.

Tons of people are gonna say peace if this thing is real.

Who wants to listen to music on Apple's tinny ass headphones? Or even playback in a car. I said it before and I'll say it again, this is beyond stupid.

Tons of people are gonna say peace if this thing is real.

Yeah of course it's going to make people upset, but the general user I know, just wants the latest iPhone and don't use it to the extent that the removal is going to hurt them.

I guess these types of customers are perfect for Apple.

It's going to be funny to see how people react, especially the crowd that refuses to make the switch, who will begrudgingly buy the latest iPhone and try to justify it.

I'm not saying that it's an entirely awful decision and that everyone will have to justify their purchase. Just that customers who are frustrated at this decision, will have to do so.

border

People went nuts about the switch to Lightning, but all that seems like a pretty distant memory now. Some people harped, some people bought adapters, but by and large the world moved on.

I suspect this change will be pretty much the same. Most people will get over it.

Apple ought to include an adapter/dongle in the box, though I doubt they will.

Vire

Yeah of course it's going to make people upset, but the general user I know, just wants the latest iPhone and don't use it to the extent that the removal is going to hurt them.

I guess these types of customers are perfect for Apple.

It's going to be funny to see how people react, especially the crowd that refuses to make the switch, who will begrudgingly buy the latest iPhone and try to justify it.

I'm not saying that it's an entirely awful decision and that everyone will have to justify their purchase. Just that customers who are frustrated at this decision, will have to do so.

But why alienate your existing audience and segment the market for no reason other than to say our battery is better?

Huh?...

SpecX

Whatever the decision is the audio jack better be universal. I have an Android for my personal phone and iPhone for work and when it comes time to upgrade both, I'd hate to have to carry around 2 sets of headphones for each device because we can't have standards anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom