• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked iPhone 7 Plus Design = iPhone 6 Plus w/o Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

You can't force change.

Floppy drives became obsolete because CDs became the popular alternative, not because companies stopped making computers with floppy drives.

3.5mm is still ubiquitious and Apple is making boneheaded decision.

riotous

Banned
Someone that purchased an entirely separate $200+ device purely for the purpose of docking with a stereo might not exactly be the average user.

So you think the average user is someone who buys expensive Apple-only dock hardware and then parts with their main communication device for hours on end to dock it?

The average user isn't docking their iPhone at all most likely. Those that do dock iDevices are unlikely to have their phone anywhere but their own pocket; so yeah I'm betting a lot of them use an iPod or something that they won't be constantly un-docking to use as a communication device.

Either way you aren't addressing that headphones are far more ubiquitous than apple-port only hardware.

I can't say much other than that Apple has more than likely researched this extensively, and probably doesn't feel it will be too much of a disruption for their normal customers. Maybe it's a huge miscalculation on their part, but until the product line is properly unveiled we really don't have much room to judge. Price/convenience of the convertor/dongle remains to be seen, but will figure heavily into consumer acceptance or rejection.

We don't even know if they are actually ditching the headphone port at this point.

Either way I don't really care how it affects the average user personally; I'm simply saying this is a bigger change than 30-pin to lightning if it happens.

dhonk

3.5mm has been around since fucking 1878.

Why get rid of it now? Ive been an iPhone user since the first gen, and Im honestly out if they take it away. Just seems unnecessary.

it's weird because the only people I've seen defend this on a myriad of sites are people who would buy it regardless of it being anything because of the branding

the ONLY beneficiary from this is Apple so they can take in extra cash from all the lightning cable licensing for headphones. removing 3.5mm for that reason is blatantly anti-consumer

hope Apple is ready to fall further in revenue thanks to this

I love how some people are comparing the removal of the headphone jack to the replacement of the old Apple port lol. It's not even remotely the same. The lightining port replaced an old port. It did not remove without an alternative. There is no benefit whatsoever to removing the port considering its the exact same form factor. Apple doesn't have an excuse as to why they removed it, but expect a huge backlash when the average joe discovers that his/her fancy beats headphones don't work with their new iPhone.

The wireless ones will work ;)

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'm getting really bad vibes from the iPhone 7 rumors. I suspect the stock is going to take an even bigger hit when the 7 doesn't sell as well as the 6s. Apple better step up.

Xun

Between this and the iPhone 6SE, it seems like Apple is indulging in sort of an experimental year where they try some unconventional stuff that might not appeal to everyone.

I have to wonder what their official explanation will be for the removal of the headphone jack. It seems like a huge gamble with not much in the way of potential payoff.
"Why live in the past with an analog signal? Digital is the way forwards!"

Probably something like that.

But yeah, this cycle will determine how much I use my headphone jack and then I will have to make the decision to go back to Android. I am not opposed - I think Samsung makes an awesome phone. It will be like going from great to great so whatever.

kingocfs

I mean, even if there was a headphone jack this phone would be a tough sell to considering it's the same body and that body kind of sucks. As others have said, I think too hard to grip. My least favorite design of theirs.

You can't force change.

Floppy drives became obsolete because CDs became the popular alternative, not because companies stopped making computers with floppy drives.

Did you miss the thread about Intel readying the USB-C as a replacement for 3.5mm jacks? It isn't just Apple. And they aren't the first phone to do it. It's happening whether we like it or not.

If the iPhone 7 has better battery, better camera (dual camera), slightly faster processor and more RAM, would that be enough to justify the purchase over a 6S?

Also it seems to have a smart connector so wireless charging may be an option.

I think I'd take that as a major upgrade over my 6S.

My god, imagine the terrible design of the lightning cable applied to a pair of high-end headphones that can only connect using the port. The Lightning cable spec has long been criticzised by product engineers because it lacks any sort of tension release near the base of the cable which is why they tend to fray like so:

frayed-lightning-cable.png

If the relaunch of Apple Beats headphones comes with the cliche Apple explanation of "WE ARE NOW DELIVERING AN AUDIO FIDELITY EXPERIENCE THAT ONLY LIGHTNING CAN PROVIDE, PRAISE BE TO LIGHTNING" then I can easily foresee a future where people are pissed that their $500 pair of cans are getting frayed.

If anyone can tell me how this incentivizes the customer in a meaningful way then please let me know.

Removing the optical drive? I get it.
Removing the ethernet jack? Kinda get it, most people didn't use it.
Only including one USB-C on the new Macbook when there's space on the opposite side for a second? Maybe, maybe not.

I just don't see how this benefits anyone of us at this point, it's not like axing the jack will remove the screen bezel or make it paper thin.

Most high end headphones have removable cables for that exact reason. If the cable is busted you just replace that. With earbuds you're probably screwed though.

I'm also in the camp that thinks the lightning is the worst cable ever. I've gotten at least 3 for my iPad mini and I'm currently borrowing my wife's cable. Just terrible quality.

Been with Apple since the first iPhone. I've owned:
OG iPhone
3G
3GS
4S
5S
Now on the 6S+

I will not purchase another iPhone until they put it back in. I don't care what the future is with 3.5 mm jacks, but until the replacement solution is here to stay and standardized, I'm not buying into this crap.

And don't give me the bluetooth speech because I don't want it.

6S+ is going strong and I think I'll be fine with it for another year or so.

Most high end headphones have removable cables for that exact reason. If the cable is busted you just replace that. With earbuds you're probably screwed though.

I'm also in the camp that thinks the lightning is the worst cable ever. I've gotten at least 3 for my iPad mini and I'm currently borrowing my wife's cable. Just terrible quality.

Even my magsafe adapter started to peel off like that as well.

Skux

Did you miss the thread about Intel readying the USB-C as a replacement for 3.5mm jacks? It isn't just Apple. And they aren't the first phone to do it. It's happening whether we like it or not.

As a Nexus 5x owner who uses USB-C for charging, it's going to be terrible for audio. I can imagine the jack wiggling loose just by walking with my phone in my hand.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I need to change my iphone and that is disappointing

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
yeah that sucks that we'll no longer be able to listen to music w/headphones while it's charging.

I'm referring mainly to the same design

I hope, at least, it has more RAM and battery

SlickVic

I use headphones a lot with my phone, and I really don't have any intention of buying new ones in the foreseeable future. Needing to carry around some adapter to connect them when I'm out of the home feels unnecessarily inconvenient. Honestly, even though I've stuck with iPhones only over the years, that would probably be enough to get me to switch to an Android phone. If they can somehow make me forget about the lack of a headphone port with some amazing new features on their new phone, well, I'd certainly like to see it.

riotous

Banned
I never said they would be I just said, this is a push that is coming and it's not just from Apple.

"It's happening whether we like it or not" sure seemed like it; especially since you responded to a post that was literally saying it will only happen "if we like it."

That post said it takes more than companies pushing for tech for that tech to be adopted.

billeh

You can't force change.

Yeah, when Apple dropped optical drivers there was an uproar .. Where are they now?

I like 3.5mm, but I'm not /in love/ with it .. I'll see what Apple's got.

nib95

Banned
I can't believe they're actually going through with removing the 3.5mm jack. What a monumentally stupid idea. I'd laugh if the added thinness meant less impressive battery life too. It's also surprising to me the design is still so similar. Just seems lazy and uninspired.

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah, when Apple dropped optical drivers there was an uproar .. Where are they now?

I like 3.5mm, but I'm not /in love/ with it .. I'll see what Apple's got.

that's because people stopped using optical media. i still use my headphones every day. i ain't shelling out another $300 for a new pair to work with a new $600 phone. not to mention that there probably won't be a lightning connector iems that match what i have right now.

Apple can look forward to another revenue decline next financial year then.

Watch there be a ton of people buying the phone and never knowing it doesn't have a headphone jack. I'm sure it's going to happen way more than most people think.

Also, I find that they do it for the purpose of thinness is so damn dumb. Less space to hold the phone by the sides and also would be easier to fold the fucking thing. Also, it could lead to thinner = less battery space.

CLEEK

I love for my Sennheiser Momentums trumps my desire a new iPhone. Like fuck am I going to carry two pairs of headphones about, or have to make sure I've always got an adapter at hand.

This is just deja vu to the GBA SP. Its headphone fuckery was the reason I never upgraded from the GBA and bought one, waiting until the Micro came along with a headphone jack.

As long as the SE remains a product line, and retains a headphone jack, that will be my iPhone future.

I still see people rocking the default Apple earbuds, but this sight is getting less common year by year. The vast majority of people I see on my commute have forked out for a decent set of analogue headphones. Ones that Apple expect them to bin and buy Apple branded ones instead.

Hari Seldon

No ethernet port, no buy, no usb port, no buy...

I wouldn't buy a computer without at least two USB ports so I dont' get your point. Personally I also wouldn't' buy a computer without an ethernet port but that is because I need one for my job, I could make do at home without one (for a secondary non-gaming computer).

br3wnor

I use Bluetooth ear buds so this wouldn't really bother me, but I could see this backfiring big time. All the mainstream press when they announce the phone will be about how they got rid of the headphone jack. Gonna be hard to overcome that PR shitshow.

nib95

Banned

Wait, has Apple really released a laptop or Mac without a USB port?..

No ethernet port I can see, even though it's a nuisance, the added thinness and lighter frame is actually super convenient in a laptop, so it's sort of worth the concession. With the 3.5mm port though, I just can't see it. Do people actually want even thinner phones with potentially worse battery? I'm not so sure. Then there's the alternative inconvenience factors, no charging during use of lightning headphones, need to charge wireless headphones, poorer BT audio quality, added cost, far less devices using lightning, need for adapters and everything else. I think this time Apple's actually making a genuine mistake.

It also speaks to their engineering failure. There's smart phones out there that are 5.1mm thin and still have a 3.5mm jack. Apple can't fit one in to a reported 6.2mm thick device? Really?

CLEEK

Yeah, both the original 30-pin and the lightning cables have always had terrible build quality. I've been an iDevice user since the iPhone3, and have had to replace so many cables. No other cables from any other electronic device has the issue that come with the Apple ones. I have a old pair of Sennheiser earbuds that got daily use for several years, and the cables and jack are still in perfect condition. The Lightning cable that came with the iPad I bought last year is already split.

The fact the lightning cables have an SoC in them to enforce you use official ones means you're stuck with their shitty, easy to fray/break bollocks.

ryan299

I've gone through at least 15 over the last 3 or so years. I've made Apple replace every single one. I can't believe they're that clueless when it comes to these cables. It's unbelievable.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The design of the cabling itself? Sure. The actual port and pin design are fantastic.

CLEEK

The actual port and pin design are fantastic.

Compared to the old Apple 30-pin or USB variants? Sure, it's great. Compared to a 3.5mm jack for headphone? No way.

3.5mm jacks click in place and have the depth to ensure that don't wiggle or accidentally come free. There is always wiggle room / movement in Lightning connection, and they're very easy to unplug. This is fine for when your iPhone is stationary on your desk for charging, but certain doom for when you're walking with headphones attached.

manakel

It pains me to say this, but no 3.5mm jack would be the deal breaker that makes me switch to Android. I'm constantly listening to music throughout my day, and I'm not going to buy an adapter or be inconvenienced by not being able to charge and listen to music simultaneously because Apple wants to push their Beats lightning headphones or whatever.

But those green text bubbles though.. :(

Not sure whow that's comparable. WiFi has clear benefits over Ethernet. USB as a data port had useful alternatives in Wifi and email, Bluetooth, Dropbox, etc.

Are you shocked people aren't exactly seeing the same thing with 3.5mm? A capable and cheap port. Where is the clear improvement here? It certainly isn't waterproofing or thinneess. It's a DRM and licensing ploy. Nothing more.

So now we're talking adaptors. Needing an answer on how to charge and have headphones at the same time. Having to replace headphones and earbuds. Potentially having to rely on Bluetooth for the type of data that isn't as forgiving to drops or issues in the connection. If headphones are wireless, having yet another thing to worry about charging. DACs potentially being per headphone device rather than baked into the phone itself.

What exactly are the end user benefits here?

nib95

Banned
The design of the cabling itself? Sure. The actual port and pin design are fantastic.

Compared to 3.5mm though? Not really seeing much of a difference. In fact, I'd imagine the added length of the 3.5mm jack would help keep it in place when you're on the move, and is less likely to wobble or get pulled out.

medium_74c00-Gala-gala-TM0314-I5-7247-Multimedia-Data-Cables-Lightning-8-Pin-to-30-Pin-Adatper-with-3-5MM-Audio-Output-Audio-Cable-Adapter.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom