• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked iPhone 7 Plus Design = iPhone 6 Plus w/o Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fret

You sound hurt. Did Apple do something to you? Did they hurt you? It sounds like this is the end of the world to you and some other people. I bet you were the part of the same group of people that said the iPhone would never be successful *cough* Ballmer *cough*. You don't even know it is a true rumor.

Now, this accessory is only this expensive because it is the first of its kind and for the iPad Pro "I have money" marketshare. As the smart connector becomes more prominent and more people start buying phones/tablets that feature this connector, it will become cheaper.

So many people don't like change or push back if technology tries to move forward. Just because RIGHT NOW the benefits are slim and more expensive, doesn't mean that it is a bad idea. We need someone to set the standard and as more people jump on board, there will be more mass production and things WILL GET CHEAPER.

lol... i'm not hurt or angry at all, i dont own any Apple devices.

honestly if a new technology (or lack thereof in this case) has little to no benefit (except for Apple) then thats actually quite a good reason to push back on it. the one benefit we were told was that devices could get slimmer, this obviously is not true for this upcoming device.

also im not entirely against the idea of dropping the 3.5, but in this case it's a bit annoying since there's literally no benefit in removing it.

Ninja Dom

Interesting how Apple were the first company (correct me if I'm wrong) to bring 3.5mm headphone jacks to mobile phones in 2007. Other phones at the time were using proprietary connectors, even Sony Ericsson's Walkman phones.

Ninja Dom

No you're not. Apple has been shit for years. Less features like nfc, ir sensors, removable batteries, easy to transfer info. Plug in hdds. Better screens. More options. Easier to switch to another phone brand. Sd card slot, open platform.
Youve been getting fucked for years and you still buy it. You think pulling a headphone jack out would stop you? Lmao!
Fuck me they will release it in a new colour and you guys will line up at 6am the day before.

What's going on here?

MutFox

Banned
They'll probably have record sales when it launches.

Apple isn't about having the best product.
It's good enough for many and it's a status symbol.

kudoboi

I already do, but sometimes you have to force people into the future.

At the current state, it is not the future. It still requires charging everyday and faces constant disconnections/ delays in urban areas. Not to mention that pairing a bluetooth earphone to Windows is a nightmare.

oti

Banned
At the current state, it is not the future. It still requires charging everyday and faces constant disconnections/ delays in urban areas. Not to mention that pairing a bluetooth earphone to Windows is a nightmare.

You could at least argue that Apple forcing people to use BT would make companies like Microsoft increase their efforts for smoother BT integration.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
They'll probably have record sales when it launches.

Apple isn't about having the best product.
It's good enough for many and it's a status symbol.

Yeah I wear mine around my neck on a gold chain and everyone gasps in awe, starts clapping and I'm drowning in pussy.

mf.luder

Interesting how Apple were the first company (correct me if I'm wrong) to bring 3.5mm headphone jacks to mobile phones in 2007. Other phones at the time were using proprietary connectors, even Sony Ericsson's Walkman phones.

The OG iPhone headphone jack was close to being proprietary since it was recessed and wasn't compatible with fatter headphone plugs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Nokia N91 in 2006 was music focused with a built in hard drive. Don't know if it was the first Nokia with a headphone jack but might be

Nokia N91 in 2006 was music focused with a built in hard drive. Don't know if it was the first Nokia with a headphone jack but might be

some of the phone with 3.5 before 2006

haier-blackpearl_00.jpg

look at that phone design. This was before 2007. so awesome. I miss designed phone that were unique. I do not need computer in my hand i have that on my desk all day.

I've been wanting to get on the Apple train for a lot of time now.

My payments for my S6 are ending in a month and I'm looking for a new phone... But it all seems to go so fast with the iPhones, they turn those fuckers out every single year..

I might go iPhone 6, should be a safe bet though, right ?

I hate reading about the Apple removal of floppy disk and optical media as comparisons. It's totally unnecessary to drop a 3.5 jack. I just flew with my family. We had three headphones and one of these $40 amps for our kids when using my phone:

$_35.JPG

I know it's an uncommon scenario, but I doubt I'll be seeing a similar solution coming for a proprietary setup.

Fliesen

I hate reading about the Apple removal of floppy disk and optical media as comparisons. It's totally unnecessary to drop a 3.5 jack. I just flew with my family. We had three headphones and one of these $40 amps for our kids when using my phone:

$_35.JPG

I know it's an uncommon scenario, but I doubt I'll be seeing a similar solution coming for a proprietary setup.

just to be clear.
There is a 100% certainty that, if apple chooses to drop the 3.5mm jack, there will be an adapter from (presumed) lightning to 3.5mm to have legacy headphones working with the device.

so you can still use that amp / headphone splitter, you'd just need to add an adapter in between.

like this. it shouldn't add much more "bulk" than the length of the lightning plug added to the tip of the 3.5mm plug, the circuitry could be around / to the side of the 3.5mm plug

KingWool

Banned
just to be clear.
There is a 100% certainty that, if apple chooses to drop the 3.5mm jack, there will be an adapter from (presumed) lightning to 3.5mm to have legacy headphones working with the device.

so you can still use that amp / headphone splitter, you'd just need to add an adapter in between.

like this. it shouldn't add much more "bulk" than the length of the lightning plug added to the tip of the 3.5mm plug, the circuitry could be around / to the side of the 3.5mm plug

Good idea except for that fact that shit is going to be lost all the time....bad idea because I shouldn't have to carry around an adapter. None of this is acceptable; I'll do what I can to protest it.

just to be clear.

Gu08oNi

Hhhnnnngggg

icespide

Banned
I've been wanting to get on the Apple train for a lot of time now.

My payments for my S6 are ending in a month and I'm looking for a new phone... But it all seems to go so fast with the iPhones, they turn those fuckers out every single year..

I might go iPhone 6, should be a safe bet though, right ?

Samsung Galaxy phones are also turned out every single year...

Apple Music has an Android App, man. The music comes with you. All my uploads, purchases, and Apple Music tracks are totally playable on my Nexus.

As for the movies, personally I only involve my phone when I'm casting to the big TV (why watch anything on your phone screen? Bleh.) Assuming you're using an Apple TV to watch all those iTunes purchases on the big screen (what else even can?), there's an app for controlling Apple TV with your Android device too.

I commute 4 hours a day so I end up watching alot of movies on my phone.

btrboyev

You are wrong. All Blackberry and some Nokia phones had 3.5" ports.

Fitts

just to be clear.

Still an unnecessary hassle, but they should at the very least include it in the box if these leaks prove true.

Did you miss the thread about Intel readying the USB-C as a replacement for 3.5mm jacks? It isn't just Apple. And they aren't the first phone to do it. It's happening whether we like it or not.

At least every device on earth will have USB-C in a few years... Lightning headphones would be completely stupid to buy.

I am literally indifferent to the existence of the headphone jack –– watch plenty of other Android phones start to remove it as well.

muteki

I don't really care about the headphone jack, I use bt most of the time anyway.

But I really don't like the 6 rounded edge form factor. I wish the 4/5 beveled edge would come back instead. Seems more solid for a thinner phone.

If they use this to push some new wireless shit on us I'm officially done with iPhone. Making the 6 so slippery to where you need a case was bad enough.

RedStep

For me personally the chance of buying the next iPhone (or subsequent ones) drops severely with the lack of the 3.5mm jack. I use mine daily - I keep earbuds in my laptop bag, in my shoulder bag, and on my desk at work and home. I never know when I'm going to want to take a walk or a call and I can always just plug in a headset and go. Even having to carry a dongle is just ridiculous, and I'll never buy Lightning headphones that only work on one device.

I think Apple's lost the plot here (and with other changes). Just give us a 5.5-inch phone with the 4S body and Lightning/3.5mm jacks and watch the cash roll in!

Fliesen

Good idea except for that fact that shit is going to be lost all the time....bad idea because I shouldn't have to carry around an adapter. None of this is acceptable; I'll do what I can to protest it.

i was just replying to biggersmaller because he seemed to believe that dropping the headphone jack would mean scenarios like multiple people sharing the same device by amp/splitting the headphone signal would be forever gone.

also "carry around an adapter"
reasonably, this would be rather permanently attached to your headphones of choice.

also "carry around an adapter"
reasonably, this would be rather permanently attached to your headphones of choice.
This is what I already do because of my Lifeproof case. I have several of these adapters stashed where ever I will need them. One in the car, permanently attached to the cable that connects to the car stereo, one in my vModa headphone case, another in my basement workshop attached to some old computer speakers.

That being said, I still do not want to have to buy even more adapters. Looks like I will be upgrading to the iPhone 6s+ this fall, and not the iPhone 7.

Whales

Banned
I wanted to get an iPhone 7 as my next phone ( i've pretty much only been on android phones: galaxies and note) because I liked the design and it just felt better to use (my friends all have iphones and I mess around with their phones)

But if there isn't a headphone jack i'm not gonna buy it. Shit sucks :/. Guess i'll wait for the 8

Not

Banned
Guess I'm not making the jump to smartphones with 7 after all. I'll wait for something more substantial.

I wonder if these incremental upgrades will really start to bite Apple in the ass. The loss in revenue growth for the first time in 13 years is a start.

dengatron

"Some of the advantages that you get, of having, a box that is designed to use a headphone jack free state, so, that, uh, to me is the future-proof choice, and I think people, could've arguably gone the other way if we didn't do it and fortunately we have a product for people who are able to get some form of headphone connectivity, it's called iPod classic 160gb."

"It's happening whether we like it or not" sure seemed like it; especially since you responded to a post that was literally saying it will only happen "if we like it."

That post said it takes more than companies pushing for tech for that tech to be adopted.

I'm sorry that my point was difficult to understand: companies are going to try and push this whether consumers want it or not. Is that clear enough? Because that is what I meant. I suppose if I had just said "you can't force change but they're sure gonna try, and it's not just Apple trying" would that have been better?

Let's look at the whole exchange again:

You can't force change.

Floppy drives became obsolete because CDs became the popular alternative, not because companies stopped making computers with floppy drives.

3.5mm is still ubiquitious and Apple is making boneheaded decision.

Then I said:

Did you miss the thread about Intel readying the USB-C as a replacement for 3.5mm jacks? It isn't just Apple. And they aren't the first phone to do it. It's happening whether we like it or not.

Meaning that tech companies sure are going to try and force it anyway, and clarifying for him that it was not just Apple that was making this boneheaded move. I never implied it would be successful. Rereading it I guess I can see how "it's happening whether we like it or not" could be taken to mean it will be successful, but in the context of my conversation with Skux, I'm saying despite "you can't force change" this is the next thing they're gonna push.

Now, will it be successful? Who knows. I doubt it. I personally don't care either way because I prefer wireless headphones. It seems similar to me to when the movie industry thought 3D was gonna be hot shit again and started pushing that, and tech companies tried to shove 3D into all their TVs and monitors and smart phones. And that didn't exactly do well and now barely anything includes the option and, in the US at least, most studios have stopped including the 3D versions with their BluRay releases.

I can't wait to see the smarmy Samsung ads this is going to produce. And then if it actually takes off how they'll spin it. The next few years will be interesting to watch in the smartphone space, everything is already so feature packed and the hardware seems to be in a corner, companies are probably gonna have to start trying some weird shit to get customers to keep upgrading.

SuperPac

Lol I hope this thing tanks. My 5S is still getting the job done and I can wait for Apple to get ambitious again.

Getting rid of the headphone jack isn't ambitious? :)

All eyes are gonna be on this in the fall, so if Apple is going through with this as it seems they are, they're going to need solid justification for it and should give out a headphone adapter in the box.

If the justification is to waterproof it, offer better sound through the lightning port, include wireless headphones in the box that charge quickly through the lightning port or smart connector (which is also rumored to be a part of the iPhone) - whatever it is, it's gotta be a real good reason, and even then people are going to have pitchforks at the ready. People don't like change.

Moreche

I've been using my Galaxy S7 edge the last week and this should have been the iPhone 7 design.
It's an absolute pleasure to use and look at.

FyreWulff

just to be clear.

This will work up until HDCP is enforced, at which point adapters aren't possible.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
just to be clear.

Where is the DAC in your signal chain? If you place it somewhere in the adapter...guess on what Chinese factory x will save dollars on.

YaGaMi

On the iPhone 6 due an upgrade in August. Gonna do an upgrade early June to S7. The 7 does not interest me in the slightest from these rumours.

Symphonic

Happy to eat shit later, but I'll put down a couple bucks on everyone not giving a shit about the lack of 3.5mm jacks in 10 years.

Guess Who

Banned
Where is the DAC in your signal chain? If you place it somewhere in the adapter...guess on what Chinese factory x will save dollars on.

Apple's Lightning headphone spec - which already exists - requires manufacturers to use the Wolfson WM8533 DAC. Apple previously used this DAC themselves in the Lightning > 30 Pin adapter (since 30 Pin supported analog audio while Lightning does not). It's very likely this is also what they'd use in a theoretical Lightning > 3.5mm adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom