• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked iPhone 7 Plus Design = iPhone 6 Plus w/o Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timan

Developer
There are no computers without USB ports. Even the Raspberry Pi has a USB port. And unless you're claiming that there's a large number of people out there using computers with no USB ports, which there isn't, I'm not sure what the point of that example is.

The usb comment was about how everyone freaked out over the initial ipad not having one

I mean hell all they need to do is include an adapter that you can just "leave on" the end of your 3.5mm headphone jack?

Frodo

Happy to eat shit later, but I'll put down a couple bucks on everyone not giving a shit about the lack of 3.5mm jacks in 10 years.

I don't think anyone here wants to have a cable connecting their headphones and phones forever. But at the moment, the technology available simply isn't as widespread, or doesn't offer much benefits compared to the traditional headphones with the 3.5mm jack apart from being wireless. Sound quality is still worse, there is the issue of having to worry about battery life on the headphones and pn the phone, since bluetooth is not always kind on the battery, and also, there is the problem that you CAN have a wireless headphone working on a phone WITH a 3.5mm jack. There is really no reason to get ride of it now as it is.

In 10 years time it might be we won't be using Smartphones any more.

RowdyReverb

People really like to get worked up about this.
All we need now is somebody to put "-gate" at the end of some related word. Headphone-gate, adapter-gate, socket-gate, whichever sounds the snarkiest (probably not TRRS-gate). It will make the usual gadget news circuits, spark a twitter fire (#____gate will trend for a couple days). YouTube parodies of Apple's marketing videos will be made, and it will filter down to local news and late night talks show opening monologues. And then it will blow over in a month or two as people buy the phone in droves anyway and realize that it's actually not that big of a deal and they'll move on to the next "important" thing to get mad about.

nib95

Banned
I mean hell all they need to do is include an adapter that you can just "leave on" the end of your 3.5mm headphone jack?

Would that even be possible without some for of a DAC in-between or inside the adapter? Since you'd be transferring analogue (3.5mm) to digital (lightning).

Guess Who

Banned
Would that even be possible without some for of a DAC in-between or inside the adapter? Since you'd be transferring analogue (3.5mm) to digital (lightning).

Might as well bring this to this page so it doesn't get missed:

Apple's Lightning headphone spec - which already exists - requires manufacturers to use the Wolfson WM8533 DAC. Apple previously used this DAC themselves in the Lightning > 30 Pin adapter (since 30 Pin supported analog audio while Lightning does not). It's very likely this is also what they'd use in a theoretical Lightning > 3.5mm adapter.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
What's stopping you from trying out wireless options now? Does someone actually have to remove a feature from your device in order for you to experiment with alternative options? Lol.

I never try a new technology until it's officially sanctioned by Apple.

Really though, it's only because I haven't bothered yet. I'll probably get bluetooth earbuds at some point. But I can't imagine an iPhone that requires bluetooth earbuds/headphones won't come with a free pair anyways. If that is the case, that may make it easier to jump ship from Android to iphone this winter when I'm due for an upgrade. Or not. The damn thing isn't even officially announced yet.

If people say cordless audio technology isn't up to snuff yet, that may change my opinion. On the other hand the technology may be forced to progress if countless millions of people who buy the new iPhone (which there will be) suddenly need cordless earbuds.

If headphones over lightning cable will be so great, why do they need the removal of the standard headphone jack option to push adoption?

Because it's actually about pushing licensing fees.

SuperPac

I don't think anyone here wants to have a cable connecting their headphones and phones forever. But at the moment, the technology available simply isn't as widespread, or doesn't offer much benefits compared to the traditional headphones with the 3.5mm jack apart from being wireless. Sound quality is still worse, there is the issue of having to worry about battery life on the headphones and pn the phone, since bluetooth is not always kind on the battery, and also, there is the problem that you CAN have a wireless headphone working on a phone WITH a 3.5mm jack. There is really no reason to get ride of it now as it is.

But you don't get to that future by coddling people along on a jack until the point people don't use it anymore. Someone has to be the first mover to get to the point where people don't use the 3.5mm jack anymore. There are already companies doing just that. So Apple's not even going to be "first" to this.

Roo

Can't wait to see the video of Jony Ive spinning this into a positive light

"What makes iPhone 7 so incredibly unique... is how you can experience the beauty of music without wires. The remarkable precision of rhythm without headphones allows you to express yourself around the world freely in a whole new way. Experience the music like never before"

lololol

Guess Who

Banned
But you don't get to that future by coddling people along on a jack until the point people don't use it anymore. Someone has to be the first mover to get to the point where people don't use the 3.5mm jack anymore. There are already companies doing just that. So Apple's not even going to be "first" to this.

I mean, to be fair, LeEco's one of those Chinese "we're totally better than Apple" copycat companies whose CEO dresses up in a Steve Jobs cosplay while giving a presentation about how Apple's old news and they are the new hotness, so they almost certainly did this purely because Apple is rumored to

If headphones over lightning cable will be so great, why do they need the removal of the standard headphone jack option to push adoption?

Because it's actually about pushing licensing fees.

If they left the the headphone jack in there barely anyone would bother using lightning headphones.

Frodo

USB-C headphones still have a cord, and still offer the same quality of sound or better than the conventional 3.5mm jack, though. Also, I don't buy that argument. People will move to better alternatives when they are available. It is one step after the other. Develop technology that is convenient and offers advantages to the current technology and people will change. This narrative that Apple is making me a favour by removing the 3.5mm jack so technology can evolve is slightly insulting, tbh.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
How are bluetooth headphones as a thing? Will the removal of the headphone jack be a big deal in the grand scheme? (Not rhetorical, actually asking.)

Been using a pair of Sony Bluetooth headphones at the gym. They're fine. They still shouldn't remove the headphone jack.

I was at my cousins engagement a couple of weeks ago and thanks to the headphone jack on my 6S Plus, the DJ just plugged my phone in and played a song he didn't have.

AHA-Lambda

No you're not. Apple has been shit for years. Less features like nfc, ir sensors, removable batteries, easy to transfer info. Plug in hdds. Better screens. More options. Easier to switch to another phone brand. Sd card slot, open platform.
Youve been getting fucked for years and you still buy it. You think pulling a headphone jack out would stop you? Lmao!
Fuck me they will release it in a new colour and you guys will line up at 6am the day before.

Speak for yourself. Oh wait...

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I love My MacBook Pro and iPhone 6s Plus, but fuck Apple if they do this. I'll stick to my 6s Plus forever then. I was hoping to get the 7 Plus becuase I need a 64GB model, but 6s Plus I'll stick with then.

It's just a 6S Plus without the headphone jack. Therefore the 6S Plus is already far superior to the 7 Plus. Fuck that.

Blablurn

I love My MacBook Pro and iPhone 6s Plus, but fuck Apple if they do this. I'll stick to my 6s Plus forever then. I was hoping to get the 7 Plus becuase I need a 64GB model, but 6s Plus I'll stick with then.

It's just a 6S Plus without the headphone jack. Therefore the 6S Plus is already far superior to the 7 Plus. Fuck that.

Don't forget the new camera

Bgamer90

Banned
I'll more than likely go with an iPhone 6S Plus if:

1. The specs for the 7 aren't a large improvement over the 6S.

2. The lightning headphone adapter (or whatever) will be more than $9.99.

I have $200 Klipsch earbuds. Had them for 6 years now. Great quality. I'm not replacing them until they stop working.

I can't even remember the last time I used headphones with my phone. Without a commute or school, I have no use. I use wireless headphones for my TV and my PS4. I'm
more disappointed in Apple using the same damn ugly 6/S shape and design. 5S was the best.

I'll more than likely go with an iPhone 6S Plus if:

1. The specs for the 7 aren't a large improvement over the 6S.

2. The lightning headphone adapter (or whatever) will be more than $9.99.

I have $200 Klipsch earbuds. Had them for 6 years now. Great quality. I'm not replacing them until they stop working.

To be fair the adaptor will likely be $19.99 but if you can wait a month or so 3rd party adaptors will come out at a fraction of the cost.

NYR

You know what's way thinner than an iPhone and has a head phone jack?

og.jpg
Yep. I use my shuffle to make phone calls and surf the Internet as well, and having all day battery life as well.

:/

Dumb

I guarantee my wired headphones offer better audio quality than whatever wireless option you're using.
Hard to concentrate on the auditory experience when your senses are being interrupted by the brushing of rubber cables against the body. It's like wearing a condom over your balls. Doing it wrong.

With a wireless connection, the clarity of empty space is all that stands between you and the latest U2 album.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I guarantee my wired headphones offer better audio quality than whatever wireless option you're using.
I guarantee most people don't give a shit. Just like how MP3s sounded worse than CDs, no one cares. Convenience wins.

I guarantee most people don't give a shit. Just like how MP3s sounded worse than CDs, no one cares. Convenience wins.

Unfortunately this is true. Unfortunate to the few of us audio junkies left. I don't know if I will jump ship or not because of a lack of audio jack.

nib95

Banned

Difference here is that wired headphones aren't actually very inconvenient. In-fact, there's additional inconveniences towards wireless headphones, such as charging and battery life concerns, that's on top of the worse audio quality, and additional cost. Your example is no where near as comparable to say MP3's and CD's, at least not at present.

If people actually gave a shit about going wireless, there would have already been mass adoption and a replacement of wired by now. Wireless headphone technology has been around for a very long time.

Hard to concentrate on the auditory experience when your senses are being interrupted by the brushing of rubber cables against the body. It's like wearing a condom over your balls. Doing it wrong.

uncharted2rys5l.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Difference here is that wired headphones aren't actually very inconvenient. In-fact, there's additional inconveniences towards wireless headphones, such as charging and battery life concerns, that's on top of the worse audio quality. Your example is no where near as comparable to say MP3's and CD's, at least not at present.
No, I disagree. They're very convenient and I'm not the only one who thinks that. And they will only get better as the market will be forced to move away from 3.5 mm.

To hell with 3.5 mm and the luddites who cling to it.

Guess Who

Banned
Difference here is that wired headphones aren't actually very inconvenient. In-fact, there's additional inconveniences towards wireless headphones, such as charging and battery life concerns, that's on top of the worse audio quality. Your example is no where near as comparable to say MP3's and CD's, at least not at present.

The only convenience of wireless headphones over wired is "no wire". They're worse in literally every other way. That's a pretty small benefit compared to what MP3s offered over CDs, which is that you could fit thousands of them in your pocket compared to a dozen or so on a large disc that you had to change every time you wanted to hear something different.

With a wireless connection, the clarity of empty space is all that stands between you and the latest U2 album.
Stone cold

nib95

Banned
No, I disagree. They're very convenient and I'm not the only one who thinks that. And they will only get better as the market will be forced to move away from 3.5 mm.

To hell with 3.5 mm and the luddites who cling to it.

Honestly, your attitude is pathetic. You're happy for a feature that millions of people love and enjoy be removed, on the assumption that having no other alternative option will somehow force vendors to improve the current technology, at a rate different to what we've already been seeing.

If manufacturers want people to adopt wireless technology, rather than force it upon us, they should actually incentivise it enough that people transition of their own accord. That's the way technology and progress is supposed to work, and the way consumers actually retain maximum value proposition. You offer people a better alternative, and they will inevitably adopt it.

Right now wireless technology is more expensive, in some ways less convenient, offers worse audio quality and is more expensive at that. Basically overall it's worse. And you're actually celebrating people being forced to adopt a potentially shitter option. Classy.

True, but it's a relatively moot point if you're streaming music via a mobile phone.
If you're listening using something like this then I'm with you.
If you're an audiophile using an iPhone, then you're not an audiophile and none of this matters anyway.

Don't believe everything you read dude. These manufacturers are here to sell products. The iPhone, Galaxy S7, S6 etc, power cans like even the Beyerdynamic T1's and Sennheiser HD800's just fine. There might be marginal differences between how they sound out of a mobile compared to a high end DAC/AMP set up, but it really is minor (mostly in volume differences), but these high end headphones still sound far better than lesser headphones out of these mobiles phones. I know because I've tested these things extensively myself. Hell you don't even need a super expensive DAC/AMP to keep up with the more extortionately priced gear in the first place.

Blablurn

Difference here is that wired headphones aren't actually very inconvenient. In-fact, there's additional inconveniences towards wireless headphones, such as charging and battery life concerns, that's on top of the worse audio quality, and additional cost. Your example is no where near as comparable to say MP3's and CD's, at least not at present.

If people actually gave a shit about going wireless, there would have already been mass adoption and a replacement of wired by now. Wireless headphone technology has been around for a very long time.

uncharted2rys5l.gif
Where is that gif from?

A lot of folks will just deal with it, that's true. I'm more disappointed with the use of the 6 body again, I wanted some innovation there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom