• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lebron not on short list for NBA MVP

jdstorm

Banned
You are probably right even tho I think Westbrook was clearly padding his stats.

And Lebron has never done that... come on now. By that definition Lebron was padding his assist stats by playing with guys who could shoot. Lebron is a good player, but the Lebron is the undisputed best player when he tries hard narative is stupid. He isnt. Guys like Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Kawhi, Curry, Davis, Cousins ect are just as good.

phanphare

Banned
if you're watching this game right now this is why lebron wasn't the regular season mvp

And Lebron has never done that... come on now. By that definition Lebron was padding his assist stats by playing with guys who could shoot. Lebron is a good player, but the Lebron is the undisputed best player when he tries hard narative is stupid. He isnt. Guys like Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Kawhi, Curry, Davis, Cousins ect are just as good.

lebron is the undisputed best player in the league

phanphare

Banned
Who doesn't? What Westbrook did was very very difficult no matter what.

eh, when you look at how he got his rebounds it devalues his triple double average for me

he didn't contest 3's so he could board the miss, had an agreement with steven adams to yield boards to him, would box his own teammates out on missed free throws, etc.

great season but I'd put kawhi and harden ahead

jman2050

Westbrook, Harden and Kawhi were amazing this year so I don't see the problem with this.

Lebron doesn't care about the regular season anymore, he's not gonna go chasing MVPs.

Why should he get the MVP without trying? He normalized himself even with the career high averages in helpers and boards. Really his own damn fault. Still top 5 on cruise control.

Playoff Lebron however is basically Goku but with focus.

Spinluck

Nope.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I think the only year LeBron definitely didn't deserve MVP was last year when Curry went absolutely nuts...and MAYBE Westbrook this year.

Crazy how newer NBA fans try to put LeBron ahead of Jordan. I get that if you've never seen Jordan you may not get it, but Jordan was an absolute basketball god.

jdstorm

Banned
if you're watching this game right now this is why lebron wasn't the regular season mvp

Lebron is the undisputed best player in the league

Undisputed. Come on now. Its sports. Everything is disputed.

Lebron wasn't the best player in the NBA this season at any Unique stat http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017_leaders.html

Nor was he the best in the "Catch all" stats. So aside from the "I like Lebron" arguement there is no impirical evidence to suggest that Lebron was the best of anything this season.

bionic77

Shaq, Duncan and Kobe all won only 1 MVP.

Steve Nash won two.

This is not an award that anyone should take seriously.

harden is overrated and got exposed already. none of those guys come close to lebron expect leonard and KD.

wow lol and here I thought LeBron haters disappeared after last year's NBA Finals.

phanphare

Banned

jdstorm

Banned
his disappearing act in the playoffs this year

That is an unquantifiable oppinion not evidence.

Evidence would be something like. These are Hardens specific measurable statistics in the playoffs and here are how they compare to Lebron. Even still a <15 game sample size is hardly indicitive of individual effectiveness. Especially when Harden has primarily been guarded by two of the best defensive players in the NBA (Kawhi Leonard and Andre Roberson) while Lebron has faced significantly inferior oposition. (All of which can be proven by impirical standards)

phanphare

Banned

Evidence would be something like. These are Hardens specific measurable statistics in the playoffs and here are how they compare to Lebron. Even still a <15 game sample size is hardly indicitive of individual effectiveness. Especially when Harden has primarily been guarded by two of the best defensive players in the NBA (Kawhi Leonard and Andre Roberson) while Lebron has faced significantly inferior oposition. (All of which can be proven by impirical standards)

37 minutes, 10 points, 2 for 11 from the field, 2 for 9 from 3, 6 turnovers, -28 +/- in an elimination game

that will follow harden until he does something in the playoffs to wash it away

jman2050

This is what happens when you try to analyze basketball like you would baseball.

wow lol and here I thought LeBron haters disappeared after last year's NBA Finals.

That guy's a little bit out there (Cousins? Really?). But I've always been a LeBron fan and he wouldn't make my top 3 this year for regular season MVP. Westbrook, Harden and Leonard put up better regular seasons than LeBron. I mean, LeBron didn't even secure the one seed, even though the Cavs are BY FAR the best team in the East (they're going to coast to the Finals without dropping a game in the playoffs). LeBron spent too much time coasting this year. Which is fine; a Finals trophy is better than an MVP. But the best player giving 70% effort is not as impressive as a lesser player going balls out every single night.

Raonak

Banned
He is probably the best individual player that carries his team hard.

But id give it to Westbrook. Goddamn, that dude is the team.

mjp2417

Banned

You're embarrassing yourself right now.

Friggz

Same reason mike trout hasn't won the MVP every year. It's a boring pick becuase he's clearly the best player in the league.

jdstorm

Banned
37 minutes, 10 points, 2 for 11 from the field, 2 for 9 from 3, 6 turnovers, -28 +/- in an elimination game

that will follow harden until he does something in the playoffs to wash it away

Thats a single game. A sample size thats statistically unreliable.

This is what happens when you try to analyze basketball like you would baseball.

I'm not analysing basketball like baseball. I am asking that we use facts as the basis of any discussion. There is a lot of grey area's in combining stats especially combined with watching the game. However some things are easier to prove then others. IE Westbrook scored the most points this year. Saying that anyone else scored more points is factually incorrect.

You're embarrassing yourself right now.

Wouldnt be the first time. However i fail to see how not acknowledging Lebron as "the greatest basketball player on the planet" is hating or embarasing. Is it so bad to be top 5?

Wouldnt be the first time. However i fail to see how not acknowledging Lebron as "the greatest basketball player on the planet" is hating or embarasing. Is it so bad to be top 5?
Because he proves it every year in the playoffs. The only time it's been in doubt was last year after Curry's mind-boggling season, but LeBron dispatched that notion in the finals. As it stands now only Curry, Kawhi, and Durant are even close.

Top Bottom