• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

I love 7 out of the 8 playable characters. The only one I don't like yet is Rochelle, but that'll probably change once she gets more of a personality. It's got to happen at some point, right?

Amir0x

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
?! Louis and Zoey are my favorite. :( Then Francis, then boring Bill.

Francis and Bill are the most colorful, defined personalities. Bill is the cranky old veteran, with years of experience having to explain everything to the 'young'uns.' He had the best line, talking about the Zombie Apocalypse of '59 or whatever.

Francis is another one - his ongoing joke is that he hates everything. His personality carries over to his dialogue, to his design in what he wears. These things make him feel like he's got a character the others don't.

Louis is, what? An office worker? What is his thing? To fit the African American quota? His jokes always fall flat (except the one that was introduced in Crash Course, where he's making fun of Francis' outfit). He's a blank slate. Even though I always played with him, I was acutely aware he didn't have any personality.

Zoey is the most empty of all. She is a female, and that's about all she does in the game. Her best line ("I'm calling Zombie Bullshit on that!") is only contextually clever, it says nothing about her as a character. It's just an outlet to fit some character prototype, not defining anything that makes her special.

I mean all the characters in the game are merely Zombie Apocalypse stereotypes, but some are definitely better than other ones.

Side note: I'm not sure about Rochelle yet, but I do know one thing... she has the best scream EVER. It's all screechy and melodramatic, so hilarious.

Red Scarlet

Well, with binds you can make them say cool stuff. Louis is the most excited character when he's all YEAHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHA THAT'S RIGHT and stuff.

But, it is fun playing with Botolf/Mutfox and other folks from the land to the north and having Francis go "Oh my God, I hate Canada so much".

The sound files are in the preload..could hear what all the characters say in 2..Nick has 1800 instead of 1000 now.

Amir0x

Banned
I guess so, 360 users don't do binds. I'm not sure I'd want to be able to spam specific points of dialogue though ;)

Or, rather, I'm not sure I'd want to hear OTHERS do it. I remember my experience with older PC games... it got very annoying very fast :lol

Well, the characters should be more interesting, because it's not the same sort of 'happy family' we got in the first game: we see them as they first meet eachother, with the whole learning eachothers name thing, and how their relationship between them builds up, so hopefully we'll see more depth to them.

And there is an increase of about 2000 lines in the new game. ...and you all mocked me for shamelessly plugging my interview, there was new stuff in there. :p

Amir0x said:
I guess so, 360 users don't do binds. I'm not sure I'd want to be able to spam specific points of dialogue though ;)

Or, rather, I'm not sure I'd want to hear OTHERS do it. I remember my experience with older PC games... it got very annoying very fast :lol
That's why you play with our awesome community. Just the right amount of bind usage. I love being able to rag on Francis/whoever's playing Francis whenver he makes even the slightest tactical mistake.

Red Scarlet

Amir0x said:

Well, I use some to communicate, pretty much. Like when someone does something cool I'll do 'taunt' or to answer as a yes or cheer (or if I'm incapped and dying; 'game over man, game over!' works here too). Yelling Tank when I can usually hear them before the mic people can help (it's easier to hear "where's my pants" instead of a random growl, I think). As long as you use them for utility over being annoying (I've met my fair share of that, still do), then it can add to the experience!

Pretty much I can warn when a Tank/Boomer/Witch is coming up if I need to, yell out 'watch out', say if I see something for someone to pick up, answer y/n, and other crap, so it's not too bad. If used non-annoyingly to the other players, it can be useful as well as pretty humorous.

Amir0x

Banned
i'm sure you guys are responsible with their usage. It's always the children who ruin things (*cough* Visulante *cough*) :)

I'm definitely so used to microphone though. My friends conversation always had so much color to the L4D experience. of course, microphone users can be just as annoying... which is why I exclusively play with friends.

People playing music through the microphone. Why? WHY!?

Red Scarlet

Amir0x said:
i'm sure you guys are responsible with their usage. It's always the children who ruin things (*cough* Visulante *cough*) :)

Or the guys that have it to say 'pills here' every time they shoot a gun.

The other day, some guy on the other team had the death scream on rapid fire..that was funny like 8 months ago or so.

If you are bored/curious, I have a couple plays on my ftp. I think they're kind of old now though?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
RocketDarkness said:
I love 7 out of the 8 playable characters. The only one I don't like yet is Rochelle, but that'll probably change once she gets more of a personality. It's got to happen at some point, right?

Oh my god Rochelle's scream... dear lord it pierces the soul. NEVER get knocked down when playing as that girl if you value your eardrums.

Amir0x said:
Francis and Bill are the most colorful, defined personalities. Bill is the cranky old veteran, with years of experience having to explain everything to the 'young'uns.' He had the best line, talking about the Zombie Apocalypse of '59 or whatever.

Francis is another one - his ongoing joke is that he hates everything. His personality carries over to his dialogue, to his design in what he wears. These things make him feel like he's got a character the others don't.

Louis is, what? An office worker? What is his thing? To fit the African American quota? His jokes always fall flat (except the one that was introduced in Crash Course, where he's making fun of Francis' outfit). He's a blank slate. Even though I always played with him, I was acutely aware he didn't have any personality.

Zoey is the most empty of all. She is a female, and that's about all she does in the game. Her best line ("I'm calling Zombie Bullshit on that!") is only contextually clever, it says nothing about her as a character. It's just an outlet to fit some character prototype, not defining anything that makes her special.

I mean all the characters in the game are merely Zombie Apocalypse stereotypes, but some are definitely better than other ones.

Side note: I'm not sure about Rochelle yet, but I do know one thing... she has the best scream EVER. It's all screechy and melodramatic, so hilarious.

Bull. Zoey's personality is that she loves zombie and b-movies and cheesy action so she's always trying crack jokes about them, and Louis's is that he's trying to stay on top by acting like he's got a plan and staying optimistic, when he's probably closer to snapping than anybody else.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I finished pre-loading the game. Does anyone know what time it unlocks?

edit: I'm in the way :(

edit2: Thanks Red Scarlet

EmCeeGramr said:
Bull. Zoey's personality is that she loves zombie and b-movies and cheesy action so she's always trying crack jokes about them, and Louis's is that he's trying to stay on top by acting like he's got a plan and staying optimistic, when he's probably closer to snapping than anybody else.

Plus Zoey quotes 'Aliens' which automatically makes her the clear winner :D

Twig

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
IAWTP.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Red Scarlet said:
LovingSteam requested that title change; I have no idea what pistachios have to do with anything.

I guess "trying too hard" applies here ... I dont get it either.

Volcynika

My friend kept abusing a voice bind for Rochelle's laugh. We were doing expert and had no one attacking us, so I then shot him in the face with a shotgun. Later, at the end of the first level, he and another friend were incapped, and me and the other guy left em since we thought they were toast. Then we both went back out there, and while my friend was helping up the other guy, I put two well placed shells into the guy abusing the voice bind.

Felt good!

Someone should make a Zombieland Mod for L4D.

Just put Zoey in a new skin for Wichita. Same for Francis, just throw a hat on that dude for Tallahassee.

Then just replace Bill and Louis with Little Rock and Columbus.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Man its funny, at work Louis and Zoey are everyones favorites. Zoey is like the funny internet meme chick and Louis reminds me of the Shaun of the Dead character.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm either lost or retarded. What's "voice bind"?

Twig

Banned
Binding keys to voice clips in the console, like

bind mouse2 "+attack2; vocalize PlayerNegative"

OH NO

Red Scarlet

Papercuts said:
Did he mean Moustachio? It has something to do with the Dark Carnival.

Hey Red,

Would it be possible to change the L4D2 title to "The Official Left 4 Dead 2 Thread Of Mischievous Pistachios And Chocolate Helicopters"?

I don't know, EXPLAIN TO US LOVINGSTEAM

NotWii

Banned
Bullshit Zoey has no personality *Death scream*
Louis is awesome too

fistfulofmetal said:
Someone should make a Zombieland Mod for L4D.

Just put Zoey in a new skin for Wichita. Same for Francis, just throw a hat on that dude for Tallahassee.

Then just replace Bill and Louis with Little Rock and Columbus.
NO!
BILL IS BILL MURRAY!

Amneisac

Hey, is anyone in this thread looking for people to go in on the pre-order 4 pack off Steam? I'm looking to buy 2 (for me and a buddy).

xero273

Red Scarlet said:

ThaiGrocer said:
How about "thread of mischievous pistachios and chocolate helicopters"?
If you look closely at the chocolate bar that Coach eats in the trailer, there are little helicopters on it.

He got the pistachios from a suggestion. Maybe other poster likes pistachios

fallout

TheOneGuy said:
Binding keys to voice clips in the console, like

bind mouse2 "+attack2; vocalize PlayerNegative"

OH NO
This is completely safe to do and will never render your game into a state where you can't shoot.

Twig

Banned
fallout said:
This is completely safe to do and will never render your game into a state where you can't shoot.
It's cos I did it backwards like

bind mouse2 "vocalize PlayerNegative ; +attack2"

MAKE SURE TO ATTACK FIRST, TALK LATER

fallout

TheOneGuy said:
It's cos I did it backwards like

bind mouse2 "vocalize PlayerNegative ; +attack2"

MAKE SURE TO ATTACK FIRST, TALK LATER
I rather enjoyed your running Jonotone (tm) commentary.

"I can't shoot."
"I can melee, but I can't shoot."
"Help."
"I can't shoot."

Meanwhile, there's this constant: "OOOHHHHH! OH NO!" going on in the background. I look forward to similar Twig moments in L4D2!

Red Scarlet said:
LovingSteam requested that title change; I have no idea what pistachios have to do with anything.
Papercuts said:
Did he mean Moustachio? It has something to do with the Dark Carnival.
Botolf said:
He's probably thinking of Moustachio.
Raging Spaniard said:
I guess "trying too hard" applies here ... I dont get it either.
Red Scarlet said:
xero273 said:
He got the pistachios from a suggestion. Maybe other poster likes pistachios

This explains it.
Eurogamer said:
Valve said that some of the parlor games at the carnival will actually work in the final version, and drew our attention to quirky touches like the peanut man cutouts (he has a nutty nemesis - moustachio) before we hit the climactic point of the two-stage Dark Carnival demo: the merry-go-round crescendo moment.

I assumed it's a pistachio. If it is, I will be thoroughly amused. :lol

As for the chocolate helicopter.... this.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the title (even after it's been explained)

I would've gone with "The official Left 4 Dead 2 thread of zombies wearing armor? I WANT ARMOR!" but whatever.

Top Bottom