• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Revelations said:
The description said he let himself go after the zombie apocalypse. Watching your loved ones die all around you does that.

Ah, I guess chocolate cures 'em.

Maybe Francis should learn something from him! He might hate less when he eats chocolate!

I should probably get in on a 4-pack before it's too late. Is there a specific thread for it? Do we all Paypal one person and he gives us the codes, or gifts them to our accounts?

Nickiepoo

Having only played L4D 360 (due to it being the platform of choice for my buddies) I was pretty much blown away by the PC L4D2 demo.

How the stupid did I ever play this game without a mouse? I don't know, but I'm sure as burrito not going back.

Have a group gathered for a 4pack, can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait.

Given how much of a step up L4D2 PC has been from the box though, it makes getting L4D1 PC very tempting once there's a steam sale. More so if valve makes good on it's 'we'll keep supporting it!' claim.

Nickiepoo said:
Having only played L4D 360 (due to it being the platform of choice for my buddies) I was pretty much blown away by the PC L4D2 demo.

How the stupid did I ever play this game without a mouse? I don't know, but I'm sure as burrito not going back.

Have a group gathered for a 4pack, can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait.

Given how much of a step up L4D2 PC has been from the box though, it makes getting L4D1 PC very tempting once there's a steam sale. More so if valve makes good on it's 'we'll keep supporting it!' claim.

I think the problem with the 360 version is not that it's not running at 60fps or doesn't look as good as the PC version. It's that the mapping/configuration of the controls just aren't very good at all.
I'm sure it would be totally playable if it played like say Borderlands, Resistance2, CoD4, etc. ...IE: the look/aim/analog range were all actually tuned to be worth a damn. They're not though and the game plays like total shit. As I said earlier, I played the PC demo with the gamepad just to see if they'd fixed it with L4D2 (as I wouldn't mind play with a pad from time to time) ...Nope, just as poor as the first one.
The Orange Box had this same problem on 360. Guess folks over at Valve don't know what they're doing.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
AgentOtaku said:
I think the problem with the 360 version is not that it's not running at 60fps or doesn't look as good as the PC version. It's that the mapping/configuration of the controls just aren't very good at all.
I'm sure it would be totally playable if it played like say Borderlands, Resistance2, CoD4, etc. ...IE: the look/aim/analog range were all actually tuned to be worth a damn. They're not though and the game plays like total shit. As I said earlier, I played the PC demo with the gamepad just to see if they'd fixed it with L4D2 (as I wouldn't mind play with a pad from time to time) ...Nope, just as poor as the first one.
The Orange Box had this same problem on 360. Guess folks over at Valve don't know what they're doing.

I didn't have any issues with L4D1 on 360. I think it just depends on what you're used to. As a console only guy, I don't think there's anything wrong with the controls.

sk3tch

Kulock, Firestorm - PM'd you about a 4pack. I would be willing to run (check my feedback in the buy/sell/trade thread) but just need to figure out how the paypal fees will work so I don't eat those costs.

Nabs

if they gift the payment, they can choose to pay the paypal fees. i think it's just 2 bucks or so.

Definitely looking forward to this. Not sure whether I'm picking it up for the 360 or the PC yet. But, I know there are zombie that needs them some killins.

diss

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Talking purely about the 360, I found the controls in L4D waaaaaaay better than their effort on The Orange Box.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say, what's the diff between the chrome shotty and bronze shotty aside from the noise?

Also, does the AI use melee weapons?

Ok guys, have you ever hovered over a dude you killed, ok? Look directly down.

It looks like you are towering over them 15-20 feet :lol . It's so bizarre. Seriously, try it, you will get a good laugh.

Nickiepoo

LunaticPuma said:
I didn't have any issues with L4D1 on 360. I think it just depends on what you're used to. As a console only guy, I don't think there's anything wrong with the controls.

I am a console guy (or at least, I have been mostly when it comes to shooters for the last three years or so). I'll happily play CoD4, Halo and Gears on a gamepad and while there was a learning curve I can't say that my performance in any of those games actually improvef with a kb/m because they were all made with easy gamepad use in mind.

In L4D this simply isn't the case and while I was fine with it, loved the game and got a lot of play out of it being in situations that would get me killed on the 360 suddenly became much easier. As Llyranor said earlier in the thread, suddenly the pistol was actually viable as a primary weapon.

This is in no way me console bashing, but for this game kb/m seems to give quite the advantage.

Concept17

Anyone else doing a 4pack? I was going to do a 4pack with some friends, but 2 decided to just pre order normally. If anyone needs a spot filled, toss me a PM.

Nabs said:
if they gift the payment, they can choose to pay the paypal fees. i think it's just 2 bucks or so.
Yeah seriously people who PayPal funds for 4 packs need to learn how to pay properly. I'm so sick of enduring fees from people who don't know better. It puts me off doing deals with GAF in the near future at least.

Fortunately Capndrake paid me back for the $400 or so of games I got him in the Christmas sale.

Sibylus

Banned
Visualante said:
Yeah seriously people who PayPal funds for 4 packs need to learn how to pay properly. I'm so sick of enduring fees from people who don't know better. It puts me off doing deals with GAF in the near future at least.

Fortunately Capndrake paid me back for the $400 or so of games I got him in the Christmas sale.
Sorry again for that Vis. I had triple checked the page and nowhere did it have any mentions of fees, not even a tiny footnote saying "Btw the recipient will get a fee". I'll remember to use Gift in the future, still kind of miffed that Paypal structures its pages so deceptively.

AgentOtaku said:
As I said earlier, I played the PC demo with the gamepad just to see if they'd fixed it with L4D2 (as I wouldn't mind play with a pad from time to time) ...Nope, just as poor as the first one.

Playing the pc version with the 360 pad is very different from playing the 360 version.

360 version has some soft aim-assist and better turning acceleration, while the pc version w/controller has neither. You can't really use one to gauge the other at all.

I play both regularly and I have no problem with the 360 version controls.

Shoogoo

AgentOtaku said:

You're overthinking this. I play on both and it's just fine. I feel like L4D and L4D2 controls ain't exactly the same on 360 tho, I can't put the finger on it but I feel a difference.

wayward archer said:
Playing the pc version with the 360 pad is very different from playing the 360 version.

360 version has some soft aim-assist and better turning acceleration, while the pc version w/controller has neither. You can't really use one to gauge the other at all.

I play both regularly and I have no problem with the 360 version controls.

Ah I see!

Didn't know that about the 360 version as I only played both on PC with the pad. That's cool to hear then.
Also, PC pad has no rumble from what I could tell...

Brainboy

Botolf said:
Sorry again for that Vis. I had triple checked the page and nowhere did it have any mentions of fees, not even a tiny footnote saying "Btw the recipient will get a fee". I'll remember to use Gift in the future, still kind of miffed that Paypal structures its pages so deceptively.

We kind of had this problem when we set up our 4-pack today. I ended up having to pay a pretty small fee (around £0.90) when I paid the organiser the money, since I wanted to pay by credit card (and not by bank account). All the stuff about fees is pretty well-hidden on the web site, you have to be pretty determined. :/

Ventrue

I need someone cool to gift me a US copy of the game, as I live in Australia and I just got my awful censored version refunded. I guess Paypal is the payment method of choice. I'd be up for a four pack (if that works) or just a single gift copy if anyone is so kind as to do so. Please PM me. Thanks!

TuxBobble

Yea...I didn't see a thread for it--anyone working on getting a 4-pack going? I want to get in on one. I have eBay, Amazon, and CheapAssGamer feedback, so I'd like to be someone PayPal'ing my way INto the group, rather than paying for it all and then having others pay me. But I'm willing to do it the other way for someone who has proven themselves.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
posted?

Q&A: Valve's Swift On Left 4 Dead 2's Production, AI Boost

Valve designer Kim Swift gained fame when her first game at the company, Portal, became one of the instant classics of this generation -- particularly as Swift and her colleagues were hired directly out of DigiPen on the strength of their student demo Narbacular Drop.

Now, Swift is working on Left 4 Dead 2, the anticipated -- and initially controversial, to those who expect long gaps between Valve games -- sequel to last year's stand-out co-op hit.

Gamasutra recently had a chance to talk with Swift about working on the game, taking in discussions of both Valve process and the game's innovative AI Director, which controls everything from ambiance to enemies in the game world.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25701

It kind of confirms (to me) something that I've suspected for awhile now.

Had Valve created L4D from the start, instead of through acquisition, we probably would have seen this whole sequel thing play out differently.

I get the distinct impression that Valve wanted to get their hands into this game from the every beginning of development, and that they felt making a new game was the right way to do it (as opposed to continuing to tweak the first game).

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
gregor7777 said:
It kind of confirms (to me) something that I've suspected for awhile now.

Had Valve created L4D from the start, instead of through acquisition, we probably would have seen this whole sequel thing play out differently.

I get the distinct impression that Valve wanted to get their hands into this game from the every beginning of development, and that they felt making a new game was the right way to do it (as opposed to continuing to tweak the first game).

Interesting theory, however, I don't think there are enough massive changes in L4D2 to distinguish it as a unique Valve project when compared to L4D1. If we look at Valve's track record, especially with TF2, Valve is not above tweaking their games for years in an effort to foster a tight-knit, devoted community.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
ThaiGrocer said:
I always thought of L4D1 as Valve's bastard step-child.

It's a solid game but it was really thin. I think that's why so many people were pissed when they announced #2 instead of adding to #1

Blizzard

Banned
D4Danger said:
It's a solid game but it was really thin. I think that's why so many people were pissed when they announced #2 instead of adding to #1
I know there has been GIANT discussion about that, but has any company ever, including Valve, ever done another game TF2 style? HL1 add-ons/sequels weren't free, HL2 chapters weren't free, etc. L4D1 has had some free non-modder content added, and I seem to recall some Battlefield 2 content became free eventually.

What other major games have done this? I know I'd love if more people did do it (alongside more modder support), but I feel like they either don't, or they both don't do it AND disallow modder support so they can provide paid DLC with no alternative.

Gravijah

Arpharmd B said:
Ok guys, have you ever hovered over a dude you killed, ok? Look directly down.

It looks like you are towering over them 15-20 feet :lol . It's so bizarre. Seriously, try it, you will get a good laugh.

Screenshot.

vertopci

grif1020 said:
I'm worried that Left 4 Dead 2 will have an issue and I will go to say "fucking Turtle Rock" and it won't work anymore.

Hey man, don't be stealing my L4D catchphrases!

D4Danger said:

If you play versus, then it most certainly is not thin. If you don't play it well...that's your fault.

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
If you play versus, then it most certainly is not thin. If you don't play it well...that's your fault.
That is selling campaign short. Campaign is perfectly fine as a standalone product. Versus is just a bonus.

Don't let your lacking taste blind you.

diss

Banned
Am I in the right thread for this game? Seems like there should be more fuss considering the game is so close to release. A Valve game is close to release. Get excited motherfuckers!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOneGuy said:
That is selling campaign short. Campaign is perfectly fine as a standalone product. Versus is just a bonus.

Vert vs. The One Guy, Match 4, Round 1 of the L4D VS Wars just beginning. I sense many punches to be thrown in this one.

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:

Selling campaign short? Even on expert you can rush that shit easily due to infinite melee and braindead AI.

Shoogoo

Weird, I'm playing more and more L4D lately :D

I plan to dig the versus way more than I did on the first one. They better ship it with versus enabled on all 5 campaign dammit

Twig

Banned
They are. As well as Survival and Scavenge modes! Lots more content this time around. (lol expansion pack)
vertopci said:
Selling campaign short? Even on expert you can rush that shit easily due to infinite melee and braindead AI.
You didn't take my advice! Thus I know you are a moron.

I can't wait to see your excuse for L4D2. What will you pull out of your ass this time?

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:
You didn't take my advice! Thus I know you are a moron.

I can't wait to see your excuse for L4D2. What will you pull out of your ass this time?

Advice is only advice if it's correct.

And excuse for what in L4D2? Not playing coop?

Top Bottom