• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left Outside the Social-Justice Movement's Small Tent (The Atlantic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleco

Some young people today have an extreme intolerance to discomfort of any kind and instead of understanding this may at times be unreasonable and making an effort to overcome it, they try to force the rest of the world into their comfort zone. It's really a selfcentered and not sustainable attitude that can only exist in bubbles.

Same goes with some of their opinions, which they hold as untouchable dogmas to the point they complete dismiss any possible debate and instead combat any opposing ideas with censorship, screams and insulting labels.

I wonder what will happen when they fully become functioning adults and have to deal on their own with the variety, complexity and rudeness of real life or start acquiring positions of power.

As an old leftist it's sad to see the young supposed left use the same tactics of censorship, lies, false outrage and silencing the authoritarian right-wing dictatorships thrived in not long ago, something these young generations haven't experienced. I guess it's all part of the cycle and, sadly, it wouldn't surprise me to see history repeat itself soon.

How much are people who make these complaints actually involved I real life activism? I suppose if you spend your time tweeting for a better world this is the shit you might see (though I rarely do). But in my actual real world activism I've only ever met one person who even approached the "tumblr sjw" stereotype, and she just had silly opinions and a weird fixation on tiny specific language - no outrageous screaming or being "shrill" (which is always targeted at women btw).

No, for the most part the groups I've been involved in always try as hard as possible to be welcoming and thrive on open debate with people who disagree. And yes, I was on a college campus. The shit discussed in articles like this is wildly overblown outrage used to discredit the left.

Hippies wanted to get off the grid. SJWs use the grid for maximum surveillance.
This is a huge part of it. Everyone someone on the left protests or criticizes or disagrees, it's greeted by cries of "free speech! Censorship!"

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The causes I fight for mean too much for me to go "but".

This is kinda his point. If the statement after "but" is about the concern that important values, like free-thinking and skepticism, are being thrown under the bus in the name of another cause, then—leaving aside whether the concern is warranted or not—I don't see this cannot be a valid point.

It's basically the difference between a the-end-justifies-the-means on the one hand and a value-based position that does not want to compromise on certain basic values on the other hand. Taking the latter stance does not mean that the part before the "but" was just throat clearing.

akira28

Am I the only one raising an eyebrow at him apparently putting "intersectionality" on the list of bad SJ concepts?

I threw his "civil-libertarian" self directly into the bushes.

Plenty of people have issues and tell progressives they need to better focus their battles and messaging. But they have somehow done it without threatening to be alienated by the movement, or without saying they need to temper or blunt their message to be nicer to the mainstream.

Jebusman

Banned
How much are people who make these complaints actually involved I real life activism? I suppose if you spend your time tweeting for a better world this is the shit you might see (though I rarely do). But in my actual real world activism I've only ever met one person who even approached the "tumblr sjw" stereotype, and she just had silly opinions and a weird fixation on tiny specific language - no outrageous screaming or being "shrill" (which is always targeted at women btw).

No, for the most part the groups I've been involved in always try as hard as possible to be welcoming and thrive on open debate with people who disagree. And yes, I was on a college campus. The shit discussed in articles like this is wildly overblown outrage used to discredit the left.

I think this all depends on where you are and where you live. It's not the same kind of crowd everywhere. It takes more than one hand to count the "stereotyped" SJWs out of all the people I know. Nice people, but misguided. More harm than help. I don't think it's entirely fair to dismiss this like it's overblown outrage meant to discredit the left. Just a dose of reality that the entirety of the "left" may not all be on the same page.

Trigger warnings? Fuck I'm getting old.

I think this every time someone says trigger warning.

I do feel too that this concept has been taken overboard. If you are a person that reacts to certain things in the way I mentioned above, then the solution is not to change public places. The solution is for you to seek professional help. Because if you really can't cope with certain words, images, or thoughts, then you are not equipped to live a normal life and need help. Trying to change public places like universities is rather contra-productive, because a university can be a good and safe place to actually put yourself out there again.

This is how I feel.

Some young people today have an extreme intolerance to discomfort of any kind and instead of understanding this may at times be unreasonable and making an effort to overcome it, they try to force the rest of the world into their comfort zone. It's really a selfcentered and not sustainable attitude that can only exist in bubbles.

Same goes with some of their opinions, which they hold as untouchable dogmas to the point they complete dismiss any possible debate and instead combat any opposing ideas with censorship, screams and insulting labels.

I wonder what will happen when they fully become functioning adults and have to deal on their own with the variety, complexity and rudeness of real life or start acquiring positions of power.

As an old leftist it's sad to see the young supposed left use the same tactics of censorship, lies, false outrage and silencing the authoritarian right-wing dictatorships thrived in not long ago, something these young generations haven't experienced. I guess it's all part of the cycle and, sadly, it wouldn't surprise me to see history repeat itself soon.

I don't see any of this being unique to the young generations talked about here. This is basically what fox news is.

MisterR

Re-quote my post and show me where I said he wasn't "allowed" to like whatever names he wants.

You can't? Okay. Thank you for incorrectly speaking for the man or woman I was engaging in a conversation with.

I said it seemed weird. I was hoping he or she would enlighten me to his or her dislike.

Thank you for interrupting with your absurd non-sequitur comment.

You talked about how weird it was that he didn't like certain names and then threw in a nice non-sequitur of your own with your snarky comment about everyone should just conform and be named Adam. You were actually looking for any kind of conversation or enlightenment. You had already made your judgment.

Squalor

Why in the world is it your business what his personal preference is for names?
I asked a question because it seems weird to dislike "black names."

You're getting really sensitive about this. Are you having a bad day?
You talked about how weird it was that he didn't like certain names and then threw in a nice non-sequitur of your own with your snarky comment about everyone should just conform and be named Adam. You were actually looking for any kind of conversation or enlightenment. You had already made your judgment.
It wasn't a non-sequitur. It was a sarcastic remark directly related to the point.

Thank you for not answering my question.

Somehow it's okay for the other poster to make judgments about people's names, but not for me to ask questions and have concerns with his dislike.

Weird. Thanks for your censorship.

This is kinda his point. If the statement after "but" is about the concern that important values, like free-thinking and skepticism, are being thrown under the bus in the name of another cause, then—leaving aside whether the concern is warranted or not—I don't see this cannot be a valid point.

It's basically the difference between a the-end-justifies-the-means on the one hand and a value-based position that does not want to compromise on certain basic values on the other hand. Taking the latter stance does not mean that the part before the "but" was just throat clearing.

And he says all that while disparaging intersectionality, which is all about that.

So excuse me if it does sound like throat clearing to me. Or more worried about the self and people like him more than really helping others.

You know how much shit women of color have given me in the past because of my antiquated views then? A lot. And I consider myself a feminist today because I listened to what they said, and I changed my views, and I challenge other men who have similar views to the ones I had.

Because the ones I had were actively harmful. And the women had all the reason to be pissed off. Methodology be damned.

Camjo-Z

Not to speak to the other points, but being against "black" names is weird. They're just words. All names are just words. All names are just made up. It's odd that you'd specifically "be against" "black names." I suppose everyone should just conform and be "Adam."

There are a lot of names I don't like. Actually, I'm not a huge fan of really generic common names like Adam or Jack either. The thread was specifically asking about black names though.

MaddenNFL64

10 years ago, I thought I was a hardcore lefty, coming of age in Hawaii. Still a liberal, but all this new thought police shit never passed muster with me. Hope the new generation figures it out.

its borderline hilarious but mainly infuriatingly sad

This is a huge part of it. Everyone someone on the left protests or criticizes or disagrees, it's greeted by cries of "free speech! Censorship!"

I think this all depends on where you are and where you live. It's not the same kind of crowd everywhere. It takes more than one hand to count the "stereotyped" SJWs out of all the people I know. Nice people, but misguided. More harm than help. I don't think it's entirely fair to dismiss this like it's overblown outrage meant to discredit the left. Just a dose of reality that the entirety of the "left" may not all be on the same page.

about two weekends ago I was at a protest in Leeds, UK about the conservative cuts, and whilst it was mainly what I'd consider a 'normal' left wing protester, there was a great deal of students there with megaphones shouting about civil disobedience, with all sorts of placards with tumblr like quotes, who certainly fell into 'this' SJW described, they were a toxic element, and strangely they all were filled with glee, like it was some sort of game to them to be shockingly facistly left wing

guek

Banned
I would add that confrontation is always part of therapy at some point. Avoidance is not a desired permanent state. In this sense a class room is even a pretty good setting for confrontation. And if you really cannot handle that than you need do seek improvement before you are able to study. That might sound harsh, but it's also a simple fact. When you are not able to engage with the entirety of your study material, then you are not equipped to live a normal life and need further professional help with that.

Spot on

Cybrwzrd

Banned

I'm an leftist as well, but come on, "censorship, lies, false outrage and silencing" are tools of all authoritarian groups, not just right wing ones. Every communist country did it as well, and millions died because of it during their drive for ideological purity.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I need examples.

People keep calling some "SJWs" fascist.

What do these SJW fascists not want you to be able to do that you want to be able to do specifically?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My business partner (giant liberal and Sanders Supporter) calls these people the Regressive Left.

They are basically and extremist offshoot of the legitimate Social Justice Movement that believes that Freedom of Speech should only exist if you follow their rules for it. They are those that fight for censorship so they cannot be "offended". So, to them, their right to not be offended trumps your right to free speech.

Couple of other Regressive Left "features"

-If the regressive left had their way it would be against the law to have what they deem "Incorrect Opinions".

-They fight to remove injustice by silencing everyone but themselves.

-They call for racial segregation (basically the removal of whites from certain places)

-They are the ones who perverted the idea of Trigger Warnings and have turned it into "Im offended you must stop talking (or doing thing)".

- They believe only white people can be racist

- They attach onto stuff like BLM and slowly pervert the groups original goals into their own (these are the people who end up in the news doing all the extremist shit that makes some Social Justice Movements look bad to the general population).

- I doesn't matter what your political affiliation, if you don't follow their exact guidelines they will cast you OUT and belittle you. They are quick to turn on the hate speech to the extremes seen in the OP.

What the Regressive Left isn't:

- an accurate description of legit Social Justice Movement Supporters.

- a Majority (the regressive left is a vocal minority of people who support Social Justice)

Basically the Regressive left is like a Liberal Tea Party but with members of all races that have extreme senses of entitlement. They are also generally disenfranchised Millennials with guilt and persecution complexes.

Like a lot of the examples in this thread: it's trivial because it doesn't happen to them on the regular. It's not immediately impacting them.

The person quoted in the article claimed appropriation is completely trivial. Like, universally. While true that a lot of people are getting over zealous with calling something appropriation, or don't exactly handle it in the right way, appropriation is a very real, and very observable thing. For a person who is said to be black to completely dismiss culture appropriation shows a lack of understanding history and social dynamics.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
On the other hand, if he thinks that Sommers is an ideal feminist, that puts a lot of context behind his complaint about intersectionality.

Yeah that sort of colors my impression of things. Unavoidably. I still think the whole "censorship" thing is terribly overblown for multiple reasons, including the fact that people being "censored" very rarely, if ever, lack a major platform elsewhere to speak just fine, and that the issue is more about which environments provide platforms for certain viewpoints

Eidan

My business partner (giant liberal and Sanders Supporter) calls these people the Regressive Left.

They are basically and extremist offshoot of the legitimate Social Justice Movement that believes that Freedom of Speech should only exist if you follow their rules for it. They are those that fight for censorship so they cannot be "offended". So, to them, their right to not be offended trumps your right to free speech.

Couple of other Regressive Left "features"

-If the regressive left had their way it would be against the law to have what they deem "Incorrect Opinions".

-They fight to remove injustice by silencing everyone but themselves.

-They call for racial segregation (basically the removal of whites from certain places)

-They are the ones who perverted the idea of Trigger Warnings and have turned it into "Im offended you must stop talking (or doing thing)".

- They believe only white people can be racist

- They attach onto stuff like BLM and slowly pervert the groups original goals into their own (these are the people who end up in the news doing all the extremist shit that makes some Social Justice Movements look bad to the general population).

- I doesn't matter what your political affiliation, if you don't follow their exact guidelines they will cast you OUT and belittle you. They are quick to turn on the hate speech to the extremes seen in the OP.

What the Regressive Left isn't:

- an accurate description of legit Social Justice Movement Supporters.

- a Majority (the regressive left is a vocal minority of people who support Social Justice)

Basically the Regressive left is like a Liberal Tea Party but with members of all races that have extreme senses of entitlement. They are also generally disenfranchised Millennials with guilt and persecution complexes.

I've honestly never met this kind of person before. But I'm sure it will be the popular caricature of the left in the months, and years to come. Much like how all feminists got labeled as "man-haters".

Excellently well put. That guy and I are practically eye-to-eye on this. The problem w/ a lot of SJWs is that you're either all-or-nothing with them (which isn't realistic), and some of them are pretty hypocritical and selective in which causes they stand for more than others. I understand everyone has their biases, but I'm talking about things where, for example, if certain black people go against the grain (Killer Mike supporting Bernie Sanders for example), they are automatically called "coon", "house nigger", "uncle tom" etc. Or as that OJ series recently pointed out, look at the treatment Chris Darden received from a lot of so-called progressives at the time of the trial. Imho, that isn't truly being progressive; it's effectively a form of extreme peer pressure and bullying, where if a person doesn't agree with your points of view and doesn't fall in line with your assumed thinking, you lambast them and tear away their credibility.

There was a thread on GAF a while ago that was frankly startling, involving the #OscarsSoWhite thing. Something to do with Asian people in that regard. Anyway, I remember seeing a lot of posters essentially saying something to the effect of "fuck you. You're not there when we need you, so fuck you." and there were a LOT of people agreeing with this thinking. I'm sure a lot of those posters would also consider themselves progressive. Well, in my book, they just wear the label and aren't really about the cause, b/c it doesn't include devolving into a petty little angst-ridden teenager, especially over something that serious. People were treating this like it was team sports, grossly generalizing the "other", and just seeming very spiteful. Yet I bet you 9/10 of them would identify as liberal, Democrat, and progressive.

I'm not saying this to try and make Republicans look better by comparison, as they have their own problems and are generally worst off (collectively) when it comes to image. However, I feel the gulf between liberal progressives and the bad side of Republicans isn't as big as the former pretend it to be. And I think knowing that fact is part of the reason the former are so aggressive towards the latter. I'm not saying all SJ progressives are like this; however a large chunk are and it's somewhat hard to avoid them. And they are the ones that leave a bad taste in the mouths of those who otherwise support those causes, who as a result would otherwise just try to do right and stand up for members of those afflicted groups while not identifying w/ the term "SJW" at all.

People such as myself.

I've honestly never met this kind of person before. But I'm sure it will be the popular caricature of the left in the months, and years to come. Much like how all feminists got labeled as "man-haters".
You get around much? If it's a thing, there are definitely plenty of examples out there. The Regressive Left is very real.

Problematic article. Not because it is wrong but because the introspection doesn't let me enjoy the popcorn. Remember when atheists were the ultimate annoying group on the internet? Now they are clowned in their own liberal circles, Richard Dawkins is a joke, and so will happen to everyone else as long as they keep biting each other's tail. And that is entertaining.

Trigger warnings have an actual purpose, yet it has been co-opted as a method to ignore just about anything that is ever even slightly disagreeable with someone.

Anecdotally, I know people like this. Who watching a show, sees something pop up that she doesn't agree with, closes her eyes, throws one hand over them, the other hand out like she's trying to push it away, and yells (not says, YELLS), "TRIGGERED".

Not ironically. Actually meaning it. We have to stop whatever we're watching. It was fucking Adventure Time.

We can't watch Adventure Time without someone being "triggered".

It has gone too far.

These people have ruined something used for people who suffer from PTSD like rap victims and veterans. Absolutely sickening.

This article directly refers to a "small tent within the left" so it'd be nice if we can move the conversation past treating it like an uncharitable exaggeration of liberals in geneeal. These types of activists are real, they're not common, and they're very loud and influential when they do show up.

Well said. The concern is with a loud minority who think their disruptive style is having a positive influence when all they are in danger of doing is fragmenting a majority who may have similar goals even if their methods are not the same. They're very insular and self-validating as a culture, hence the tent metaphor.

The majority is level headed when it comes to dealing with social justice issues, it's just that these days the loud minority now has a larger soap box to stand on.

I do agree with their stance that we need to be proactive but their nature of ostracizing anyone who doesn't agree with their methods is destructive and creates a fractured base from which to create positive change.

"SJWs are bad because reasons! and I don't have a solid gasp on what censorship is" is always the impression I get out of this. The kid is in high school and he overblows Social Justice causes just as bad as a Gamergater (which considering he thinks Sommers is an ideal feminist...)
These people have ruined something used for people who suffer from PTSD like rap victims and veterans. Absolutely sickening.
No they haven't. Idiots who made fun of the concept ruined it.

The Technomancer

I'm pretty damn active on "social justice twitter" or whatever and pretty much the only "trigger warnings" I see tend to be for mentions of abuse or stuff involving food (which makes sense for people with eating disorders). We can sling anecdotes all day

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

There are a ton of these people on this very forum.

nynt9

I need examples.

What do these SJW fascists not want you to be able to do that you want to be able to do specifically?

As a former muslim from a muslim country, I've found that these conversations come up quite often when I try to be critical of the religion's values. The right wing are bigoted towards muslims, so the position of some leftists is that they must be against anything the right is for, thus criticism of islam must be avoided lest one gets lumped in with the right wing. This gets a bit cognitively dissonant when the problematic views islam/certain islamic countries have towards LGBT people, women, apostates (affected me personally) and more come into the conversation. In the western world islam is oppressed, but where I used to live islam is the oppressor in many cases, so this difference in perspective causes issues. And people from the western world without my perspective can be quite dismissive of my views because of all this.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I need examples.

They are not fascist. Fascism has nothing to do with them. They are leftist authoritarians. Imagine the policies of modern North Korea or China during the Cultural Revolution. Authoritarian leftists are the ones who desire those methods to control the public discourse. They are not as extreme as those groups, seeing as they lack power, but if they had the power to do it, they would gleefully purge/reeducate anyone on the right.

They desire to limit speech to only things that they find acceptable. The fact that debates on whether it is acceptable for white people to have dreadlocks speaks volumes on this groups desire for authoritarian power.

“I genuinely cared about these causes—still do,” he wrote, referencing everything from anti-racism to LGBT rights to reproductive health. “I believed I was doing something noble. At the same time,” he added, “a large part of me was not quite in agreement with some of the views and concepts espoused by social-justice groups. Their pro-censorship tendencies, fixation with intersectionality, and constant uproar over seemingly trivial and innocuous matters like ‘cultural appropriation’ and ‘microaggressions’ went against my civil-libertarian sensibilities.”

This is a beautiful quote.

The Technomancer

As a former muslim from a muslim country, I've found that these conversations come up quite often when I try to be critical of the religion's values. The right wing are bigoted towards muslims, so the position of some leftists is that they must be against anything the right is for, thus criticism of islam must be avoided lest one gets lumped in with the right wing. This gets a bit cognitively dissonant when the problematic views islam/certain islamic countries have towards LGBT people, women, apostates (affected me personally) and more come into the conversation. In the western world islam is oppressed, but where I used to live islam is the oppressor in many cases, so this difference in perspective causes issues. And people from the western world without my perspective can be quite dismissive of my views because of all this.

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a "leftist" of any stripe defend the values of Islam and the way it treats women and LGBTQ people as "acceptable" (although of course I'm open to being proven wrong). What I do see is people who reject using those issues as a prop for xenophobia, jingoism, and warmongering. "Islam treats women poorly and that needs to change" and "but we shouldn't be turning all refugees away at the border" are not two dissonant positions

Trigger warnings? Fuck I'm getting old.
I fall into the same age group as these guys but the concept itself is extremely stupid and kind of a cop-out. It's essentially another way to avoid being reminded of harsh truths if they disturb your comfort level.

I remember having the need to post a couple of photos of lynched people in a thread and got some "trigger warnings bruh" responses. Just a bunch of noise. I don't exist to placate your desires; if you weren't delusional in the first place I'd of no need to post such material to wake you out of your bubble.

They are not fascist. Fascism has nothing to do with them. They are leftist authoritarians. Imagine the policies of modern North Korea or China during the Cultural Revolution. Authoritarian leftists are the ones who desire those methods to control the public discourse.

No.

This specific point is something that I see tossed around that I think people actually ignore what the left is sayimg about this. We had a thread on gaf about Australian Aboriginee people having their own computer lab on a university campus and people who agreed with it were being accused of "calling for segregation.

When I read posts like yours that reduce issues to points like this it reminds me why I find people calling out the regressive left hypocritical. This spelcific point alone is such a misconstruction of the actual point many people were making.

It reads exactly like the dismissive shit people are calling out.

I dont believe in regressive left, I believe there are people mature enough to have a conversation and people that simply cant and its independent of age or liberal vs conservative sway.

nynt9

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a "leftist" of any stripe defend the values of Islam and the way it treats women and LGBTQ people as "acceptable" (although of course I'm open to being proven wrong). What I do see is people who reject using those issues as a prop for xenophobia, jingoism, and warmongering. "Islam treats women poorly and that needs to change" and "but we shouldn't be turning all refugees away at the border" are not two dissonant positions

I agree with you, and for the most part you are correct, but my personal interactions with people have given me a few examples to the contrary.

jWILL253

Banned
If all it took for you to be disillusioned from progressivism is trigger warnings, then you never cared about social justice, or progressivism.

Fuckouttahere.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This specific point is something that I see tossed around that I think people actually ignore what the left is sayimg about this. We had a thread on gaf about Australian Aboriginee people having their own computer lab on a university campus and people who agreed with it were being accused of "calling for segregation.

When I read posts like yours that reduce issues to points like this it reminds me why I find people calling out the regressive left hypocritical. This spelcific point alone is such a misconstruction of the actual point many people were making.

It reads exactly like the dismissive shit people are calling out.

I dont believe in regressive left, I believe there are people mature enough to have a conversation and people that simply cant and its independent of age or liberal vs conservative sway.

If there is a valid reason for having "safe spaces" other than someones skin color (or culture) then I am all for it. If you want to segregate just because of race then that is racism.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Political extremes of all kinds have been given massively heightened visibility by the internet age. It's a simple matter for a fringe group to gather together their supporters from around the world and online flash mob targets to make themselves look like a vast army.

What this situation requires more than ever is an understanding of vocal minorities and a renewed focus on watching what people do rather than listening only to what they claim. Still, the media and technology of the day make it difficult to navigate this shit.

“On Twitter,” he wrote, “I discussed how trigger warnings have almost been rendered useless now that they’re used to alert individuals when talking about normal everyday things, like food, cars and animals. And that their use could potentially have adverse effects on academic freedom. I was accused of being outrageously insensitive and apparently made three activist cohorts have traumatic breakdowns.”

I'm not sure I understand. His twitter post caused three people to have traumatic breakdowns or is he relaying a story about what happened one time through twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom