• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain - Cancelled Sequel

2real4tv

U K Narayan said:
With Amy Hennig working with Naughty Dog, it'll never happen. Unless, of course, Naughty Dog gets to develop it as a Playstation 3 exclusive. That would be quite cool.

LOK on the Uncharted engine would be more than just cool

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thanks Mama for sharing this art... but it only makes the wound in my heart more painful :'(

I never got big into the series for some reason, but Soul Reaver was one of my favourite games on the PS1. Today, I don't know how I'd feel about a new sequel.

Ephemeris

U K Narayan said:
With Amy Hennig working with Naughty Dog, it'll never happen. Unless, of course, Naughty Dog gets to develop it as a Playstation 3 exclusive. That would be quite cool.
That would be super awesome. But alas, a dream. :(

I love the series. Pretty much played them all except the first Blood Omen.

Has anyone tried playing the original LoK on the PSP? I'd be interesting to know how it runs. If it plays decently, I would definitely track down a copy so I could replay it.

Jugendstil said:
Has anyone tried playing the original LoK on the PSP? I'd be interesting to know how it runs. If it plays decently, I would definitely track down a copy so I could replay it.
Actually I have it in my PSP as we speak :D. I am half-way through the game and it runs just fine plus the load times are a bit quicker too (compared to playing it on a PS1).

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
With Tony Jay passing a potential LoK game wouldn't be as good as it could have been :(

(And I preferred the Soul Reaver series anyway, so a Kain game being canceled doesn't itch me the same way...)

Edit: How is Soul Reaver 1 on PSP btw? Playable (with buttons and all I mean)?

as much as i want a remake of Soul Reaver, it wouldn't be the same without the awesome voice work of that one old dude... the guy that passed away a while back... :(

so only if they could still reuse all of the original voice tracks, which i doubt. (they probably wouldn't be up to the same quality that 360/PS3 games use currently. either that or they don't have the original files anymore since the project is done and is years old.)

either way, if they do any more LoK games it needs to be a soul reaver game. i didn't like the kain games much at all. plus the game mechanics of soul reaver were genius, as well as the stuff of legends.

bengraven

Why would it be cool that a large chunk of gaming userbase couldn't play a game? Strange.

I never did play the Kain games and it's a huge regret, considering how the atmosphere and universe would have been really appealing to me at a younger age.

i only liked the first game and didnt like that they moved away from the roleplay / action adventure route to some kind of actiongame in the sequells

I know this goes against the conventional wisdom, but I'd really love to see Silicon Knights tackle a new Legacy of Kain game. I think they could get that right, especially without the burden of having to launch a totally new IP and stuff.

Sorry for the year bump, but I've finally been able to find some more art and information from the cancelled game.

These are from the portfolio of Jason Muck, updated after being offline for ages.

LegacyofKain_D_Wire_Shot01a.jpg
LegacyofKain_D_Wire_Shot01.jpg

LegacyofKain_D_Shot02f.jpg
LegacyofKain_D_Shot02d.jpg

LegacyofKain_D_MalekTunnelEntranace.jpg
LegacyofKain_D_MalekBossStatue2.jpg

Please note the filenames: Malek Boss Statue; Malek Tunnel Entrance.

This seems to confirm speculation that the snowy-fortress we have been seeing is a reimagination of Malek's Bastion, the castle of animated armour, last seen in 1996 in Blood Omen.

LegacyofKain_01.jpg
MaleksBastion-FMV.png

In other news, VG247 and Superannuation have found some art for another unreleased, unnanounced or cancelled Crystal Dynamics game called "Downfall".

Plywood said:
:(

HE WILL FUCKING RETURN.
I really doubt it.

Why aren't the LoK games on Steam, anyway? It would be cool if they ported the DC version of SR1 to PC since the PC version is just a better version of the PS1 version.

Requeim

The Soul Reaver storyline (1,2,defiance) is the best ever in videogames, i just love it so much. The gameplay is tolerable without being especially great, but the story alone is enough motivation to keep playing (for me, at least).

As for which developer to pass the license on to, that's easy: Naughty Dog. They are arguably the best developer in the world right now, and they have Amy Hennig, problem solved.

Requeim said:
As for which developer to pass the license on to, that's easy: Naughty Dog. They are arguably the best developer in the world right now, and they have Amy Hennig, problem solved.
I really wish this would happen. My god, it would be amazing.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
thechristoph said:
Does Square own the IP now?

They should and, if anything, is actually good news for LOK since it fits an area that SE has been trying to break in for years: Action RPG

Raging Spaniard said:
They should and, if anything, is actually good news for LOK since it fits an area that SE has been trying to break in for years: Action RPG

Considering the franchise is not recognised on Square-Enix-Europe/Eidos new homepage, I can't help but wonder if the heads of SE even know it exists.

Oh how I'd like a new game in Nosgoth, with one of those famous Final-Fantasy budgets!

Or of course give it to Amy and Naughty Dog, have them use their Uncharted tech to really bring Nosgoth's depravity, danger and decadence to life!

This topic always breaks my heart : (
I never played LoK when it came out but Soul Reaver was one of my favorites when it came. Just the opening movie hooked my forever. I really enjoyed all of the sequels as well (except Blood Omen 2). I doubt we will see another title in the series though.

Lard

Banned
Please, give this series to Atlus.

But I'll take a non-zippered version from Squeenix if that's all I can get.

Mama Robotnik said:
Or of course give it to Amy and Naughty Dog, have them use their Uncharted tech to really bring Nosgoth's depravity, danger and decadence to life!
Day 1 if it happens
which it won't :(

Lain

Mama Robotnik said:

I'd be quite happy if that happened, but I know it'd never happen.
So I'd just be happy with a new game that was faithful to the spirit of the series done by Eidos/SE.... but I know even that is wishful thinking.

Another bump, hope you don't mind.

For the interested, I've just discovered the blog of the Gaston Brothers, who worked at Ritual when Dark Prophecy was being made. Loads of concept art showing the game's reimagining of the Hylden, far more mature and dignified that their dismal Blood Omen 2 showing.

An interesting quote confirming LOK:DP was to be the concluding game in the series.

concept art done during our time at the company once known as ritual entertainment. for what was supposed to be the final chapter in the Kain series. the game was later cancelled for reasons unknown if given the chance i would work on this again in a heartbeat.-ag

And the art:

vampire-hunters.jpg

kain-hyldenwarlords.jpg

kain-demon.jpg

kain-demon2.jpg

kain-costumeset1.jpg

kain-character.jpg

kain-character2.jpg

kain_hyldenfemale.jpg

hylden_female_profile.jpg

hylden_female_a.jpg

demon3.jpg

demon1.jpg

hyldenking.jpg

kain-characterpaint3.jpg

Mastperf

Kittonwy said:
Soul Reaver wuz teh best game in teh series becuz Amy Hennig directed it and Richard Lemarchand wuz senor designer.
angry.gif

Are you mentally disabled? It's cool if you are and I think it's pretty awesome you can discuss things so well with a handicap.

Back on topic.
It's always heartbreaking to see such cool franchises treated so poorly.

Widge

The problem for me going forward with this series is that I found Raziel far more of an interesting lead than Kain. I liked Kains presence in the game, but I wouldn't want to play a game that had him as the main character.

Lain

I'd go for the PC version myself.
Visually the game wasn't a looker at release, but I think it still holds up as far as atmosphere and its gameplay (and Kain is just great).

Those artworks look interesting. It is saddening to see more and more of a cancelled game of such a great serie.

Widge said:
The problem for me going forward with this series is that I found Raziel far more of an interesting lead than Kain. I liked Kains presence in the game, but I wouldn't want to play a game that had him as the main character.

Raziel is an incredible character, no doubt, but Kain is much more interesting. Raziel tends to reidentify himself quite quickly with each story revelation (loyal vampire -> murderous wraith -> fallen saint -> repentant sinner -> desperate survivor -> self-sacrificing hero), whereas Kain is a complex duality of redeemer and destroyer.

Raziel's story ended perfectly, when he did the one thing Kain could not, and made a choice that made him a bonafide hero.

Its always been Kain's story (helps if you started with Blood Omen). The vampire saving the world through murder. The tyrant sacrificing his empire, his children, his everything to hunt down the perfect paradox. Even through the Raziel-focused Soul Reaver, we are being the told the history of Kain''s Undead Empire, and shown the consequences of his (not Raziel's) choices. Its Kain's story.

daxter01 said:
Kain>Raziel

This explanation works also.

evanlctr

Neo Member
Great thread!

It's always interesting to see art and assets from games that never saw the light of day. There was a lot of stuff in the original Soul Reaver that didn't make the cut... There used to be a site that had lots of screens of what was left on the cutting-room floor- Anyone still have that link?

Now I feel the need to dig out my Dreamcast copy of Soul Reaver. Soul Reaver and Defiance were probably my favorites out of the series but I never completed Blood Omen 2 or the original Legacy of Kain. After seeing all the praise for Legacy of Kain on here I'll probably pick it back up. Are the load times any better if you play it on ps3?

If any developer were to pick this series back up I'd like to see Retro do it for ps3/360. The Metroid Prime games actually have a lot in common with the Soul Reaver games IMO

Top Bottom