• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
lmaooo
tumblr_m3oa40c2p11qz5n67o1_r1_400.gif

WE IN THERE

You just made my week. LOL

Everybody we've seen fight so far has been terrible.

Lin and Tenzin haven't fought yet.

I would love to see Lin wreck some fools, but I'm not sure I could handle all that awesomeness coming at me.

I like how he always starts his messages with this deep, slightly friendly, yet very creepy, "Citizens of Republic City... this is Amon." As if anyone didn't know. :)

see, i don't get this. pro bending is a big, super popular sport. and mr. seriously-i'm-a-revoltion-leader-not-a-terrorist-guys is blatantly threatening to shut it down or else. is his plan to incite fear among the crowd of people he wants to join him? doesn't make sense.

He's pointing out the hypocrisy in wanting to bring down benders, yet cheering on the pro-bending sport.

see, i don't get this. pro bending is a big, super popular sport. and mr. seriously-i'm-a-revoltion-leader-not-a-terrorist-guys is blatantly threatening to shut it down or else. is his plan to incite fear among the crowd of people he wants to join him? doesn't make sense.

At this point the authorities are after him so he won't get much further trying to make in-roads by peaceful means. Those who already believe in his cause aren't going to change their mind, those who don't believe in his cause need to learn to believe in his power.

He's basically Magneto

shira

At this point the authorities are after him so he won't get much further trying to make in-roads by peaceful means. Those who already believe in his cause aren't going to change their mind, those who don't believe in his cause need to learn to believe in his power.

He's basically Magneto
Reversed situation, he's bizzaro mags. He's the majority.

Omikaru

I don't know where this blurry clip came from, whether it's been posted, or what episode it's from (it doesn't look like it's from 6), so be warned that it's a teency-weency bit spoilerish. I don't think it's that bad, but it does give you a hint about the makeup of Korra's gang in episodes going forward.

Spoilers from that clip:
Looks like Korra, Asami, Mako and Bolin are on Naga's back. I guess Asami's here to stay!

Edit: The more I watch it, the more I'm not sure. Whilst the footage seems real, the audio seems off (like it's been composed of previous clips). Anyone else feel that way? :/

Edit 2: I'm inclined to think it's fake, so ignore this post. Some parts look like it's been composed of previous footage with some editing, but then others look like bits that haven't aired before. Strange.

Edit 3: I'm making up for the potentially fake one with this legit clip. Again, it's brief, but spoiler warning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjsBgQABZI

Edit 4: Also, it looks like it's a few days old, so blah. Not having much luck with this spoiler clip thing. :(

CoolS

I don't know where this blurry clip came from, whether it's been posted, or what episode it's from (it doesn't look like it's from 6), so be warned that it's a teency-weency bit spoilerish. I don't think it's that bad, but it does give you a hint about the makeup of Korra's gang in episodes going forward.

Spoilers from that clip:
Looks like Korra, Asami, Mako and Bolin are on Naga's back. I guess Asami's here to stay!

Edit: The more I watch it, the more I'm not sure. Whilst the footage seems real, the audio seems off (like it's been composed of previous clips). Anyone else feel that way? :/

Edit 2: I'm inclined to think it's fake, so ignore this post. Some parts look like it's been composed of previous footage with some editing, but then others look like bits that haven't aired before. Strange.

Edit 3: I'm making up for the potentially fake one with this legit clip. Again, it's brief, but spoiler warning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjsBgQABZI

Edit 4: Also, it looks like it's a few days old, so blah. Not having much luck with this spoiler clip thing. :(

You are right, the first clip seems really strange, the first shot of Korra looks like when she beat up those triple threat triady in episode one, but afterwards it's definitely soemthing new. Very strange.

Omikaru

You are right, the first clip seems really strange, the first shot of Korra looks like when she beat up those triple threat triady in episode one, but afterwards it's definitely soemthing new. Very strange.

Yeah, the first bit definitely looks like that. Also, the audio is really off, like it's been poorly-acted or simply wedged into the scene from another episode.

God knows what it is, where it came from or how it was put together.

Omikaru

And that's the end of that!

I didn't see many ads for the show since I'm in the UK, and Nickelodeon region blocks everything.

----------

Edit: Okay, I don't want to double post, but I'm going to indulge myself in series-long theorising. I'll spoiler tag this post appropriately, of course. I wonder if anybody here has any input/thoughts on this, or if you think I'm over-analysing.

I've been thinking about this lately, and upon being linked to this (potential spoilers) Chakra theory I've been thinking about how things in the series will play out. Honestly, I think Book One of The Legend of Korra is going to be a hero making tale, before the ante is stepped up considerably in Book Two.

I'm pulling my Chakra info from the ATLA wiki page on them. If you've not watched ATLA and you're in the process of doing so, concurrently with Korra (I've seen at least one of you doing this), then don't read that link! It has pretty major ATLA Book Two spoilers.

Introducing the tone, characters, settings and scenario of the show

1. Welcome to Republic City: Introduces Korra, Tenzin, Lin Bei Fong and Republic City, with a hint of the season antagonist.

2. A Leaf in the Wind: Introduces Mako and Bolin, and pro-bending, which will define the trio's (or more if you include Asami) relationship.

3. The Revelation: Introduces Amon and the Equalists properly. Sets the tone of the series' main plot.

Unlocking Chakras

What chakra unlocks seen so far:

4. The Voice in the Night: [Earth Chakra] Korra is scared of Amon because of his ability to take away people's bending. The Earth Chakra deals with Survival and is blocked by fear, so this 100% makes sense. So when she faced her fear and survived, this chakra was unlocked (and the trauma/upheaval of doing so gave her a vision of Aang's past).

5. The Spirit of the Competition: [Water Chakra] This was the last Saturday's shipping episode. The Water Chakra deals with pleasure, and is blocked by guilt. Obviously the guilt over hurting Bolin clouded Korra, and affected their performance in the pro-bending tournament. When she tried to rally the two brothers to up their game in the last bout, she had accepted that things happened and put them aside for the greater good (in this case, whilst rather selfish, it was winning the tournament -- but this ties directly to pleasure, since she enjoys the sport, and her enjoyment of it was blocked by her guilt over hurting Bolin and encouraging Mako to cheat on Asami). This not only allowed the Fire Ferrets to reach the final, but also lead to the trio powering through their issues, thus absolving the guilt of the love triangle. Chakra unlocked.

I'm going to spoiler tag from here on, not because these are cast iron spoilers, but because I'm sure some of you won't want to read what I believe will happen:

6. And the Winner Is...: [Fire Chakra] (Episode 6 spoilers -- we know a good deal of what happens in this episode so you've been warned)
This is going to be the final of the pro-bending tournament. With Amon threatening to end the final if the Republic City Council doesn't do so first, the Fire Ferrets petition the council to not cancel it, which they agree on. Then, when Amon attacks the pro-bending arena Korra not only fails to capture him, but has to deal with the proverbial bloodbath of Amon's actions that night. She is ashamed of what happened, and this blocks the Fire Chakra, which deals with Willpower. HOWEVER, Lin Bei Fong, sufficiently impressed by Korra when they work together to pursue Amon (and they probably capture a number of equalists in the process), changes her tune with her and grows to respect the Avatar for her fearless pursuit, her strength, determination, and willpower -- maybe she even goes as far as praising Korra in public when the press are giving her a grilling. This absolves her shame and unlocks the chakra.

We're entering unknown episodes now, so I have absolutely nothing to base the rest of this theory on. Still going to spoiler tag, though:

7. Unknown episode title: [Air Chakra]
This chakra deals with love and is blocked by grief. In ATLA, Aang had to deal with the grief of losing Monk Gyatso and the extinction of his people. However, this love still existed inside Aang, and was reborn anew in the form of a new love: Katara. We haven't really seen Korra having much love stuff with people she's going to lose. Whilst she's almost certainly fond of Tenzin and his family, I don't think there's that strong an affection for them at this point (she's only been in Republic City a couple of months, right?). At the same time, they're not going to kill her parents or Katara off, because, well, they've been pretty irrelevant to the plot, and it'd be pretty cheap to kill someone off-screen and expect the audience to feel sympathy for them. Yes, that even includes Katara, who's passing would only affect ATLA fans, and not necessarily people new to the series with Korra. If you look at Korra as a standalone series, which is what the creators want to a certain degree, you have to accept that killing Katara off would be seen as cheap.

Honestly, I expect Korra's grief to deal with losing Mako to Asami. They opened up some big wounds in episode 5, and I think the Mako and Korra ship has been sunk because of it. Bolin isn't going to one day be a-okay with Korra and Mako dating. Whilst you forgive your brother for stupid shit like that, you don't forget, and it'd be a kick in the balls if he "made things right" and then re-opened the wound. I think because of this, Mako will choose Asami. I think once she comes to accept this, the Air Chakra is unlocked. As for what happens, I don't think this episode will be as heavy a shipping episode as the love triangle one, but it will be a running subplot. If I were to hazard a guess, we find out that Asami can chi block in episode 6, and she begins hanging out with the trio to train them in dealing with chi blockers. This means that Korra will have to spend a good deal of time with Asami, Mako and Bolin and sets up my Air Chakra unlocking hypothesis perfectly.

Skeleton in the Closet
: [Sound Chakra]
This Chakra deals with Truth, and is blocked by Lies. In ATLA, Aang dealt with this through the lies he told about himself (such as when he didn't tell the Water Tribe village he was the Avatar in the first episode). Once he accepted his destiny/identity as the Avatar, this chakra unlocked. Korra, however, really isn't lying to herself like Aang did, so I expect this episode will deal with the lies other people tell. I imagine this'll be a flashback episode, where we'll find out the truth of Amon's past, Aang's past, and how it all ties together. I bet you good money this is the episode that Dante Basco returns to his role as Zuko. When Korra learns the truth concealed behind the lies and misdirection, this Chakra is unlocked. The reason I think I know this episode title is because Dante Basco has previously said that this episode exists, and it fits perfectly with this chakra.

These are less specific in plot point theories, and more focussed on just the Chakras:

9. Unknown episode title: [Light Chakra]
This Chakra deals with Insight, and is blocked by Illusion. This one is an episode that stumps me completely. I think it'll be related to the revelations of last week's episode, probably something to do with how Korra handles the truth she's just discovered. However, I don't want to speculate on that, so I don't know what role this episode plays in the narrative. For what it's worth, in ATLA it dealt with how what people think to be separate are actually one thing. All people are one, yet they live separate as four nations, for example. Maybe it will have something to do with the equalists not being that different from benders, and Korra seeing their revolution from a different perspective, understanding them, or something to that degree. But honestly, I have no idea. I think if they retread this one too closely to ATLA they'd be doing the narrative a bit of a disservice, however, so I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised on this front.

10. Unknown episode title: [Thought Chakra]
This Chakra deals with Pure Cosmic energy, and is blocked by Earthly attachments. As ATLA taught us, Korra won't have to give something up to unlock this chakra just as Aang didn't have to let go of his love for Katara, just that she needs to get her priorities right, and accept that her duty as Avatar comes first, much like Aang did. Heaven knows what she has to give up, but she has been very, er, slow in her airbending training so I expect that this episode will deal with her learning these skills, and detaching herself from earthly bounds as the air nomads did hundreds of years before. Again, this is too far flung for me to guess on plot details or specifics, but I reckon it'll definitely be the first time we see Korra have a strong command of airbending abilities. After this, Korra has unlocked all her chakras.

Tying things up

11. Unknown episode title: [Prelude to the denouement]
Amon makes his move.

12. Unknown episode title: [Season finale]
Korra finally enters the Avatar state and crushes the Equalist revolt, but restores balance with a compromise of some sort, allowing the disenfranchised non-benders to feel like they're part of society. Korra becomes the fully realised Avatar, the hero she was born to be, yak yak yak. This is originally where the miniseries was supposed to end before Nickelodeon ordered more episodes, so it makes sense that many of the current plotlines comes to an end here.

So if this is what happens, then what about Book Two? As I said above,
with Amon and the Equalist revolt defeated,
I expect the ante to be upped in the second season. The threat will be a lot bigger. It's going to be so awesome!

In summary, I need to get out more. :(

shira

I like the chakra idea, but I hope we get to see all the characters we saw in the first episode again.

I want to see the tasty fishes guy, meat stick vendor, platypus bear owner, and music box shopkeeper again.

We've already seen the triad and antibender activist guy.

Omikaru

This has been bookmarked to see how you fare as we get new eps.

I'm going to make new posts updating the theory as we see more episodes (both in terms of predictions, and retroactively), but feel free to hold my original theory as a gold standard if you want. Though if you read the predictions for later in the season, they're pretty vague. I'm going to try and get those right, provided I do well on episode 6, 7 and 8.

Even if I get the general plot events wrong, I think at this point it's a given that Korra will be unlocking her chakras throughout the series, and that each episode will have motifs related to the chakras.

I was guessing
Amon was going to mess with the pro-bending tournament before seeing that preview anyway.

I'm guessing that the Fire Ferrets lose to the Rival douche team and the rival team ends up getting their bending taken away. Or Amon interupts the match. I'm betting either way that the rival douche gets his bending taken away.

Also as an aside I was rewatching Voice in the Night and I get this distinct feeling that Lin is either doing something behind the scenes to protect Korra or she will save Korra in the future.

Omikaru

Put me in the camp of people irking about their noses. They look like they've been broken for years!

But all the characters' hair looks superb.

CoolS

While I'm excited as hell for Saturday, what excites me a Lot more is that we know absolutely nothing about what is going to happen in the second half if this season. No trailer really showed anything beyond next episode :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom